Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Minenfeld! posted:

Why is there a Twitter account called ihatetrenches?

@IhateTrenches
Iraq/Afg Vet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Raskolnikov38 posted:

blinken might legit be the stupidest secretary of state we’ve ever had

the fawning bbc 4 explainer of who he was when he was appointed was hilarious, his main qualifications were that his name sounds like “abe lincoln”, he’s in a band and women swoon when he’s around

that’s it

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Lostconfused posted:

@IhateTrenches
Iraq/Afg Vet

If you hate trenches so much then just leave lol

If it sucks hit da brickz like hahaha just walk away

Do it during an incoming artillery barrage.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Officer Sandvich posted:

https://twitter.com/IhateTrenches/status/1712764030249513333

Not surprised at all, this has always been Russia's tactics. It's also why the Soviet Union's casualties in WW2 were so extremely high. The only somewhat surprising thing about it is that in the day and age of easily accessible information the general Russian population is fine with it, although even that shouldn't be that surprising anymore after 20 months of war.

yeah this is the big new talking point

did you know Russia is taking casualties assaulting a fortress city? This then gets upgraded to human wave attacks and losing 500 tanks in an hour.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah this is the big new talking point

did you know Russia is taking casualties assaulting a fortress city? This then gets upgraded to human wave attacks and losing 500 tanks in an hour.

canon called and said they don't produce enough projectors for the libs

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The Ukrainians are constantly taking drone footage, if the Russians were taking more than sundry losses they would be posting them as hard as they can especially right now as the West has seemingly lost interest.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The only good Ukrainian footage came from the failed push on Kiev.

They didn't even have anything to show for Harkov or Herson.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

please don’t shift your attentions to Gaza, people. we’ve still got some good stuff - uh Andriivka? andriivka’s going great !

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
By spring 2024 the great Ukrainian offensive will still be listed as "ongoing"

As for what's happening with Avdiivka... it's totally conflicting accounts from both sides right now. So I'd say we'll see where it stands in a few weeks. Russia is assaulting insanely fortified positions so doesn't surprise me that they'll take more casualties than in the previous months while largely on the defensive. Pretty sure "thousands per day" is an absurd exaggeration though.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Raskolnikov38 posted:

He's a complete loving dullard. I'm almost glad he's in his position because he's accelerating the decline of US hegemony, but at the same time it's come at an enormous price of human life.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Резидент posted:

Our sources from the President's Office reported that the IMF demanded to drastically reduce social spending, they did not think for a long time at the Bankova and decided to cancel disability, under a beautiful pretext. Moreover, after the new reform, payments will be made b
to 30% of citizens, and benefits will be taken away from the majority.

In Ukraine, they want to "cancel" disability. According to the Minister of Health Viktor Lyashko, the Ministry of Health plans to abandon the term "invalid" and replace it with an "assessment of the loss of functionality" of a person. But it's not just about playing with terminology.

The Ministry of Health is already preparing a bill that will prescribe a new methodology for determining the status of Ukrainians with a particular disease. The main goal, according to Lyashko, is to return a person to an "economic state", that is, to do everything so that he becomes able to work again.

As the Minister noted, now after the establishment of disability, a citizen has the right to certain benefits and compensation. But "we did not ask what a person wants, but only say what we can give him. This is the post—Soviet model, from which we must turn away," Lyashko said.

It can be assumed that everything is going to the fact that the state will tighten the screws on the disabled.

And the main thing here is not so much concern for people, as two other points, the main thing is to reduce the state's spending on payments to disabled people, the number of which increased dramatically during the war.
(from t.me/rezident_ua/20110, via tgsa)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Soldiers love having their pay cut during a war and now learning that if they're disabled they're on their own.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

quote:

In Ukraine, they want to "cancel" disability. According to the Minister of Health Viktor Lyashko, the Ministry of Health plans to abandon the term "invalid" and replace it with an "assessment of the loss of functionality" of a person. But it's not just about playing with terminology.

lol welcome to american style social security ukraine, hope you like it as much as we do

lmao

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

No less evil, mind you

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016
You have lost both arms and can no longer work? Oh dear, that's terrible! Anyway, thank you for defending Europe.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/MirochnikIrina/status/1712854242245882154
https://twitter.com/temsu_walling/status/1712871243236757921

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

https://twitter.com/its_maria012/st...ingawful.com%2F

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Rolling in his grave

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
re. Avdiivka (and to an extent Bakhmut), I've been continuing my reading of "The Myth and Reality of German Warfare" and the takeaway I'm getting is that it is really loving hard to pull off an envelopment, and it basically requires that your opponent be fully cooperative as far as walking right into it - almost every time it has happened, the other guy was a willing tango partner, whether it was Alexander Samsonov not doing any kind of scouting in August 1914, the Allies marching into Belgium in May 1940, the Soviets refusing to issue retreat orders in June 1941, or the Axis shrugging off all the warning signs and putting Romanians on their flanks in November 1942.

and the reason why this is, is that most armies ultimately are still infantry armies, so if you're marching around them, they can also just march back - and even if you introduce tanks and motorized infantry, there's never enough of them to create an envelopment at the operational level, by themselves. You still your own leg infantry to seal the envelopment, and again, those guys are walking as fast as your own guys can walk, so there's almost always a way out, even if it means having to fight through the thin leaky perimeter that the tanks and motorized infantry will try to put up, as long as you actually try to get out to begin with.

it's in this context where it makes sense that Russia wouldn't necessarily go for completely snapping the jaws shut - not only is it not a sure thing, because the Ukrainians would be a hell of a lot more tipped-off about needing to escape, once you actually start trying to fully close it off, it's also not a sure thing in the sense of having to race the Ukrainians to the last road out. And even if you finally got the thing, fighting off the breakout attempts may well drive up casualties even further.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mission accomplished. Hope a handful of Ukrainian capitalists enjoy their new hordes of wealth drawn from the blood of dead combatants

samogonka
Nov 5, 2016

gradenko_2000 posted:

re. Avdiivka (and to an extent Bakhmut), I've been continuing my reading of "The Myth and Reality of German Warfare" and the takeaway I'm getting is that it is really loving hard to pull off an envelopment, and it basically requires that your opponent be fully cooperative as far as walking right into it - almost every time it has happened, the other guy was a willing tango partner, whether it was Alexander Samsonov not doing any kind of scouting in August 1914, the Allies marching into Belgium in May 1940, the Soviets refusing to issue retreat orders in June 1941, or the Axis shrugging off all the warning signs and putting Romanians on their flanks in November 1942.

and the reason why this is, is that most armies ultimately are still infantry armies, so if you're marching around them, they can also just march back - and even if you introduce tanks and motorized infantry, there's never enough of them to create an envelopment at the operational level, by themselves. You still your own leg infantry to seal the envelopment, and again, those guys are walking as fast as your own guys can walk, so there's almost always a way out, even if it means having to fight through the thin leaky perimeter that the tanks and motorized infantry will try to put up, as long as you actually try to get out to begin with.

it's in this context where it makes sense that Russia wouldn't necessarily go for completely snapping the jaws shut - not only is it not a sure thing, because the Ukrainians would be a hell of a lot more tipped-off about needing to escape, once you actually start trying to fully close it off, it's also not a sure thing in the sense of having to race the Ukrainians to the last road out. And even if you finally got the thing, fighting off the breakout attempts may well drive up casualties even further.

yeah, my bet is they are settings up Avdeevka as a new Bakhmut to keep the grind going now that the counter offensive is put on ice

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

OhFunny posted:

Growing tanker fleet, cheaper freight challenge Russian oil price cap

Important article about the economic war.

The tanker fleet that is carrying Russian petroleum outside the reach of Western sanctions or through shell games to avoid them has grown large enough that the shipping rates being charged are decreasing.

Russian companies selling barrels of oil from the Urals are making an extra $7 per barrel due to the savings.

An example the article gives is a 100,000 tonne tanker sailing from Russia's Baltic ports to India used to have a freight rate of $15 million earlier in the year. Now it's about $5 million. Another example is from the Black Sea to India. Which was $5 million and is now $4.1 million-4.2 million.

Медиапалуба posted:

📈Cargo turnover of Russian seaports in January-September 2023 increased by 9%

Cargo turnover of Russian seaports in January-September 2023 increased by 9.0% compared to the same period last year and amounted to 675.3 million tons. The main contribution to the positive dynamics, as before, was provided by the transshipment of dry cargo, which increased by 17.3% to 344.4 million tons. Bulk cargoes added 1.5% and amounted to 330.9 million tons, the press service of Rosrybolovstvo reports.

Cargo turnover of seaports of the Arctic basin amounted to 73.5 million tons (+0.6%). Of these, the volume of transshipment of dry cargo increased by 10.9%, amounting to 23.7 million tons, bulk cargo – decreased by 3.7% to 49.8 million tons.

Cargo turnover of seaports of the Baltic basin increased by 3.6% and amounted to 188.6 million tons. The volume of dry cargo transshipment in the basin increased by 22.7% to 85.7 million tons, bulk cargo decreased by 7.9% to 102.9 million tons.

▪️Retains the position of the flagship of the Russian port industry, the Azov-Black Sea Basin. The cargo turnover of its seaports showed a balanced growth of 18.7% and amounted to 226.5 million tons. Of these, the volume of transshipment of dry cargo increased by 29.3% to 110.2 million tons, bulk – added 10.1% to 116.3 million tons.

The rapid growth of cargo turnover of the seaports of the Caspian basin, which is a transit for the international transport corridor "North-South", continues. The cargo turnover of the seaports of the basin increased by 34.3% and amounted to 5.7 million tons. Of these, the volume of transshipment of dry cargo increased by 1.7 times to 3.5 million tons, the growth of bulk cargo was more modest — 3.1%, amounting to 2.2 million tons.

Cargo turnover of seaports of the Far Eastern basin increased by 6.9% to 181.0 million tons, of which the volume of "dry" transshipment increased by 5.8% to 121.3 million tons, the volume of bulk cargo added 9.1% and amounted to 59.7 million tons.

@mediapaluba #ports
(from t.me/mediapaluba/6972, via tgsa)

So 66% of Russian sea trade goes through the black sea?

Yeah they're going to have to take Odessa.

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

samogonka posted:

yeah, my bet is they are settings up Avdeevka as a new Bakhmut to keep the grind going now that the counter offensive is put on ice

Actually the counter offensive is still ongoing and will be for the rest of time

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Rolling in his grave

if you explained to him everything that happened in the last few decades he'd be like "hmm... i have no choice but to slava israïli. good work boys."

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
he’s rolling in excitement, wheeee

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/bresreports/status/1712878820380860481?s=20

uh oh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

grave concerns !!!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My guess is they want a speaker of the house for more graft money

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it annoys me, and i know why, but putin please once use one of the cruise middles on these stupid statues

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

aren't those technically unbanned thermite rounds

e: lmao the first shot fired on the move goes like 150 yards before slamming into the ground

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

is white phosphorus good or bad? getting conflicting reports between the two wars

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

according to geneva its good when used for making smoke screens, bad for anything else

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

I thought it was also allowable to use for illumination.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

This isn't WP, it's the 9M22S incendiary 122mm rocket.

Magnesium.

nomad2020 posted:

I thought it was also allowable to use for illumination.

WP is an obscurant, not an illuminant. Along with how quickly WP burns out, and the fact that it produces smoke, that's the tell that the incendiary in the video isn't WP.

There are many more reasons why you can tell it's 9M22S specifically, but for the layman, just like fireworks burn different colours depending on the metal powders in them, incendiary munitions have telltale effects.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Oct 13, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
burning magnesium cannot be extinguished with water, it just releases hydrogen gas and burns worse

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
yeah we got to play around with magnesium shavings in high school chemistry class, spooky stuff when you watch it burn underwater

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
now that i think about it im not sure what the teacher's plan was in case any of the burning shavings got anywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FirstnameLastname posted:

burning magnesium cannot be extinguished with water, it just releases hydrogen gas and burns worse

Also true, I suppose. I was addressing the concerns about WP in particular.

The big rear end magnesium pellets (180 per rocket iirc) are within the guidelines of THE PROTOCOL ON PROHIBITIONS OR RESTRICTIONS ON THE USE OF INCENDIARY WEAPONS (PROTOCOL III)