Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

no you’re fine like wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've had to help clients with IE windows within Edge for bank services and SCADA in the last month. Nah, the bank isn't going to update their site any time soon, you have to use IE in a tab. SCADA server upgrade? What's that?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Oh yeah, fuzzing is probabilistic and even with a lot of format information you asymptotically approach confidence. We used to measure fuzzing progress by how long the fuzzer ran before triggering a crash. When the guy leading it first set them up, all browsers (then Firefox, IE, Safari, Opera) died in under 15 minutes. eventually it was like weeks or months for some, and I presume even longer now. It took a lot of work to get some other vendors to take the (meticulously submitted with test cases) bugs seriously until we said that we were going to release the fuzzer tooling so our community could help us with it. MSFT kept trying to push the date back because there were so many (hundreds) of maybe-distinct IE bugs whose crashes looked exploitable via our heuristics.

Now everyone fuzzes as a matter of course, but at the time it was pretty exciting to bring it to more visibility and use on some major software. Got to announce them in a DefCon talk and everything!

Oh those were the days. Heap vulnerabilities in IE galore. Especially when IE was still 32 bit and heap spraying was still effective.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

spankmeister posted:

Oh those were the days. Heap vulnerabilities in IE galore. Especially when IE was still 32 bit and heap spraying was still effective.

The lifecycle model of IE4-7’s DOM and script runtime was utterly insane, with pointers stashed all over the place and “adjusted” refcounting and lots of COM/IVariant shenanigans. It’s a miracle that it worked at all, tbh.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Defenestrategy posted:

is geofencing your network edge worth while?

Our IDS has been showing people poking at random open ports and poo poo, nothing directed just the general background noise from random countries that have no business looking at our network, and the vast majority is the usual suspects, Africa, Eastern Europe, SE Asia,etc. While yea, a serious nerd is gonna be hopping in from an end point in America I feel that increasing the barrier to entry is worthwhile, if only to shut noise down. For context our company shouldn't have any incoming from outside of the US.

Anecdote time! Back in 2008 I inherited responsibility for an ftp server. It was running a commercial implementation on a PowerMac G4. I figured nobody had an exploit for that and left it alone other than only allowing ftp traffic inbound to it.

I was checking the logs one day and noticed something funny. Every night, 50 random IPs in mostly France would each make one attempt to guess the password of the Administrateur account at 5-minute intervals. It didn't have an Administrateur account so I let it be. It was the politest form possible of a brute force attack, and I felt I had to respect that.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Defenestrategy posted:

Our IDS has been showing people poking at random open ports and poo poo, nothing directed just the general background noise from random countries that have no business looking at our network, and the vast majority is the usual suspects, Africa, Eastern Europe, SE Asia,etc. While yea, a serious nerd is gonna be hopping in from an end point in America I feel that increasing the barrier to entry is worthwhile, if only to shut noise down. For context our company shouldn't have any incoming from outside of the US.

If you can gurantee there's no way someone might want to use your services from outside the US then 100% it's worth it. Like others have said, geo-ip databases aren't perfect and there are 1000x ways an attacker can circumvent it but it will, at the very least, dramatically reduce the amount of noise in the network and may stop a lot of basic drive-by attacks. It's important to note that the port-knockers are usually the first step where the second step is "oh they are running a web service, lets wait a bit then try to work out what it's vulnerable to, oh it's running wordpress, lets just store that somewhere so we can exploit it when we can"

The other huge one to look at besides geofencing is implementing blacklists based on public blacklisted IPs like https://www.abuseipdb.com/. Anecdotally, when I was working in a SOC, like 99% of all inbound exploits were from an IP address that appeared in that list.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

abigserve posted:

The other huge one to look at besides geofencing is implementing blacklists based on public blacklisted IPs like https://www.abuseipdb.com/. Anecdotally, when I was working in a SOC, like 99% of all inbound exploits were from an IP address that appeared in that list.

If I was king of IT mountain I'd combine the fence with this and tell people who end up on the wrong side of this to suck it and apply for an exemption personally, unfortunately I'm getting push back about doing this from the infrastructure side because "they have things theyd rather do and its too hard and it wouldnt even do anything", even though my boss volunteered me to do it for them. I would actually happily do this, because it would cut down on the work my reports have to do scanning the ids and checking false positives by enough of a percentage to be worth my while to do the foot work for it.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

meanwhile we have employees arguing for weeks on end to work from China with a (naturally) unencrypted laptop :sigh:

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Defenestrategy posted:

Please also make sure that the device doing the geofencing is built to do it, and has enough power to do it well based on your traffic. I can't count the number of times back in the Dark Days when I was a firewall engineer that a customer would ask us to jam a 1000-item anti-China/Russia ACL into their shitbox ASA 5505. It always just hosed up their response times for little to no gain.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Famethrowa posted:

meanwhile we have employees arguing for weeks on end to work from China with a (naturally) unencrypted laptop :sigh:

that’s fine as long as it’s empty when they get on the plane, and you burn it when they get back before it goes on the network

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

that’s fine as long as it’s empty when they get on the plane, and you burn it when they get back before it goes on the network

Just wipe it and dump it in the airport trash. Problem solved.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
I just realized that Raivo OTP, a 2FA app for iOS, was sold to some shady company. What's the next best thing? I'm half-tempted to say gently caress it and just use the Passwords app now that it does OTP, but that doesn't allow exports, which isn't ideal.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

I use Authy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

2nd'ing Authy. Also makes transferring OTP between phones easy.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I use Yubikey Authenticator

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Wasn’t there some sort of vulnerability with Authy or did that turn out to be nothing?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I found this amusing, watch til the end

https://www.tiktok.com/@that_investor/video/7286955841541000490

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol jesus

reported for posting psychic damage

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bald Stalin posted:

watch til the end

There is always more, and it is always worse █ ⛓

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Lol. The last sentence is worth it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

^^ you weren't kidding about the last sentence being stunningly, remarkably just uhhh

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well I just sat the SABSA foundations exam and I'm 50/50 on whether I passed. It's two separate "tests", one is focused at the strategy/planning/governance model and the other is more of the logistics of implementing the strategy related to security architecture. I aced the second logistic exam but mathematically I 50/50 "guessed" at enough on the first that I'm not sure if I'll have to re-sit it. The first test felt like of those maddening types of exams where you have to remember a whole framework's lingo to get the answer right, to place a deliverable or activity on their convoluted 6x6 matrix that has like five layers superimposed.

If anyone is sitting SABSA Foundations, for the F1 part of the exam I'd recommend that all the stuff about the matrix and deliverables that you go "blah blah blah, they'll never ask me to specifically identify what's in the Contextual->Logical cell" -- yeah, that's kind of what they'll do. I don't want to make it sound like that was ALL it was, but I think the pass score is like 85% and it's a 48 question multiple-choice, so it just takes a few of those "oh come on..." questions to knock you down to having to sit it again.

On the flip side, a LOT of questions were either super obvious, to the point where I'd guess you could all get them right without even once looking at the material, or so easily narrowed down to 2/4 that you can roll the dice.

Would I recommend this? It's kind of a nice framework for collecting requirements and acting on them, and it does organize your thinking and kind of enforce completeness, but the approach is going to take a lot of organizational buy-in to be of any use IMO. But since I'm trying to formalize my practice I think it's worth the effort.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tryzzub posted:

https://static.open-scap.org/ssg-guides/ssg-rhel8-guide-pci-dss.html

openscap will generate reports and remediation scripts for you

RHEL 9 and PCI 4.0 not yet published last I checked

That being said it’s not perfect and you can do the same exercise with openscap against CIS or DISA STIG

Thank you for this. It has been a lifesaver even if I have had to modify the built in PCI-DSS profile to more accurately fit our deployment.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I've been watching too many TV shows and the idea of digital forensics keeps popping up.

Anyone here have experience working a digital forensics gig? If so, what's the reality of the work like?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Hughmoris posted:

I've been watching too many TV shows and the idea of digital forensics keeps popping up.

Anyone here have experience working a digital forensics gig? If so, what's the reality of the work like?

I did multiple courses in college and had to do some minor digital forensics stuff for %current_job, but from that experience it's pretty dull. The big thing is maintaining chain of custody and order of volatility, and the rest is just using the tools you have to go snooping through files. I feel it would be interesting work if you where working on serious criminal poo poo, but chances are you're probably doing a lot of post mortem on break ins or boring guy might have exfiltrated company secrets.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 14, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I did contract digital forensics for a few groups, it's normally pretty mundane stuff. I still do forensics during IR scenarios, it's a little more exciting during actual security incidents versus criminal forensics.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Serious criminal poo poo is even more boring, plus you have to go to court. Murder trials take so loving long, then there will be mistrial and it all starts over. You finish the technical work and then court drags on for literal years. As a bonus at some random point in the future there will be an appeal and you've got to do it again.

Take really really good notes. You won't remember poo poo about the case when it comes back five years later.

Oh and the really amazing part is when one of the guys you put away escapes from prison and then is recaptured a couple of streets from your house with a bunch of drugs and guns.

I'm never doing DF for criminal poo poo again.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I've had to do forensic analysis of compromised devices as part of incident response situations and it's extremely tedious and usually somewhat depressing. Dozens of hours of digging through someone's life because everyone has their personal, financial, and health information saved on their computers these days. Or at least, the audience that owns the devices I'm often having to dig through after they get a pop up and then call Windows Tech Support and give them full remote access of their computer. I can't really say I enjoy it.

Ulesi
Aug 30, 2023
I'm done with red teamers at my organization. These douche bags social engineer some moron with a phish/vish then start moving laterally to some shitbox share drives where they access some random rear end excel sheets then claim they were accessing sensitive data. Then we have to jump on an after action call where they gloat and justify their job and make us look like shitbags. Then we ask for a purple team exercise to help strengthen our defense but they decline because that would probably hurt their next engagement. Every quarter we waste poo poo tons of time and energy IR'ing their lovely red team engagement. Just so frustrated with them.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Red teams are mostly a waste of time. I say this as a professional red teamer. Almost everyone would get better value from a wide scoped authenticated security review. Nobody wants those though because they're worried they'll look bad.

Your red team sucks by the way. If they're gloating and making the reporting/debrief an adversarial process then they're bad at what they do.

poo poo is better for everyone when there is more collaboration and advocacy for the security function from the consultants.

Hell, most of the reports I write are "things are pretty bad, but the internal IT staff knew that already anyway, they've done incredibly well with the resources they have available, more resources and support from senior management will be required should any improvement be desired". Written way more politely and wanky, but poo poo, nobody benefits from the consultants being fucks about it.

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 14, 2023

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm new to the space, but that seems to be the concern with our infra teams per our discussions. Red Team starts from "compromised device within the firewall" and suddenly they're finding lots of stuff! I, too, am a master thief when invited in and with the house unlocked.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I'm new to the space, but that seems to be the concern with our infra teams per our discussions. Red Team starts from "compromised device within the firewall" and suddenly they're finding lots of stuff! I, too, am a master thief when invited in and with the house unlocked.

Its not 2001 anymore. You can't put that much reliance on the "perimeter". Actually, stop pretending there is one and quit thinking of your org as a house.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cannon_Fodder posted:

When they did red team work at FB they always started by silently disabling a couple elements of defense for the red team, so that they’re testing more than the first line. You want to know what your response is like to an actual incident, which really only happens if there’s something you didn’t expect or an error made. The alternative available to larger organizations is to buy a zero-day and burn it on the red team before reporting it, I guess.

Also, a compromised device being behind the firewall is not a super-unlikely occurrence over the lifetime of an organization. someone’s going to bring their laptop to work to download anime faster and now their discord bot can pivot onto the network. a credential leaks, you don’t patch “log4j outlook facebleed 2” quite quickly enough, whatever. someone in IT gets treated rudely by an exec one time too many and decides to hurt things.

The red team is not doing the performance review of other people’s work any more than a QA team is doing a performance review of programmers. They’re acting like a good tester or lawyer: if this sort of compromise happens, we get an outcome we might not want. It sounds like their findings here are useful, in that they expose that your network security is very perimeter-dependent. You (or someone in the business) may decide that they would prefer an attacker have to do some meaningful work after establishing presence. Or you may decide that you can make the perimeter perfect, which I guess is also a thing you can do. But don’t do it on my network, please!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Cannon_Fodder posted:

onion layers are a thing, HTH. your perimeter can't be your first, best and last line of defense.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Totally understood, I wasn't stating that there should only be one layer. These are complaints from my infra guys when they're getting raked over the coals for Red Team findings.

I'm the schlub that has to make the argument now that these findings are of paramount importance, despite the risk assessment completely ignoring the fact that we weren't breached.

I guess I was just venting.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Most important thing you can do IMO is try to reconcile the people venting and make it seem like less of an adversarial relationship. Everybody's lives are gonna be more stressful if the network team feels like the red team is pulling the other one to make them look bad, and the red team feels like the network team thinks they're a waste of time and money. Nobody should be getting raked over the coals. Just fix poo poo.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sickening posted:

Its not 2001 anymore. You can't put that much reliance on the "perimeter". Actually, stop pretending there is one and quit thinking of your org as a house.

Its this. As annoying as red teams and pen tests are, they can and do point out the serious flaws in your internal security. The perimeter is not gonna stop anything, it just stops the easy stuff. You need someone poking and prodding at what you've built, and hopefully someone who can bring those findings to you for remediation rather than, say, a threat actor who will exploit them.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Most important thing you can do IMO is try to reconcile the people venting and make it seem like less of an adversarial relationship. Everybody's lives are gonna be more stressful if the network team feels like the red team is pulling the other one to make them look bad, and the red team feels like the network team thinks they're a waste of time and money. Nobody should be getting raked over the coals. Just fix poo poo.

Also this - Red teams should be partners and collaborators. But to be honest most security teams struggle with building relationships both internally but especially externally with the rest of the org.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Everyone posted:

digital forensics insights...

Thanks for the digital forensic insights. My career is taking a weird turn into the infosec world, so I'm trying to see what specialized areas could be fun and lucrative. If I were to get into forensics it would be at the Federal/DoD level, which may be a bit different than local law enforcement stuff.

My employer is all about paid training and it looks like SANS has a few courses on the topic, might see if I can attend one next year.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The culture you build in security should be to embrace findings with positivity. Having a green scorecard is the goal but is far more likely a symptom of your company having blind spots.

Findings being used to cause conflict should be shut down most times. Otherwise, you are creating a culture where people will avoid bringing awareness to problems or going out of there way to hide them.

Of course you are going to find situations where the dirty laundry is caused purposeful neglect and or purposeful recklessness, I have no choice but to poo poo on those people because i can't help it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Sickening posted:

The culture you build in security should be to embrace findings with positivity. Having a green scorecard is the goal but is far more likely a symptom of your company having blind spots.

Findings being used to cause conflict should be shut down most times. Otherwise, you are creating a culture where people will avoid bringing awareness to problems or going out of there way to hide them.

Our sec teams are all almost all ex-product devs / sre / devops people so anytime we have and incident, finding, pentest, etc any follow-on requests are accompanied by an offer for one us to pitch in hours to get it fixed, make a PR or whatever. We get that security requests can really gently caress up a roadmap and we pitch in as much as we can so sec doesn't get seen as the bad guys. (We stress that we're an engineering org and are part of product development / corp infra it and we're here to help. Our relationships with the rest of the company is good enough that teams will proactively bring us design plans and poo poo for feedback really early in the process rather than trying to get a green check right at the end. It does help that we're probably heavy on graybeards.)

I feel like there's a gulf where security at mid-size places where infosec is a bureaucratic / CYA thing and not an engineering group so end up just being blockers / waving red nessus scans around like assholes.

JehovahsWetness fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 14, 2023