Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Justin_Brett posted:

I don't think Beidou's burst triggers on Neuvillette's beam, unfortunately.
It does - she's a great pick for him but for the batterying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

For decent pieces, it varies depending on character, but most offensive characters mainly want to focus on Crit Rate and Crit Damage. Generally, you want a 2:1 ratio of Crit Damage to Crit Rate (so for instance, 60-70% crit rate and 140ish crit damage for a baseline character who doesn't get crit as their ascension stat) and you kinda want to value pieces based on their Crit Value. 1% of crit rate = 2 points of crit value, 1% of crit damage = 1 point of crit value. A piece with around a 25ish Crit Value score would be considered decent, 30-35ish is good, and 40+ is 'you will use this for the rest of your life.' You wanna sorta judge the other stats as bonuses if they're relevant to the character rather than aiming for them that hard or sacrificing crit for them, outside of things like ER requirements.

Flat substats (flat HP, flat attack, flat defense) are pretty useless even if they're for a stat your character wants. 400-500ish HP isn't increasing Neuvilette's damage much.

And of course the crit value considerations go out the window a bit on Crit circlets, though ideally you still wanna make sure they have about 15-20ish value for the other kind of crit.

So if we look at my pieces

Flower: 26% crit damage, 3% crit rate = 30ish Crit Value, some HP% and ER. Good piece.
Feather: 15% crit damage, too much flat HP rolls. Kinda bad piece that I should upgrade.
Sands: 13% crit rate, 13% crit damage = 39ish Crit Value, some atk% and ER. Great piece but the atk% is wasted on Neuvilette specifically.
Goblet: 9% crit rate, no crit damage = 18ish crit value, kinda bad piece that I should upgrade.
Circlet: 9% crit rate = 18ish crit value, not bad for a crit damage circlet but a bit more should be nice, useless defense rolls.

With Neuvilette using the Mare set you can sac Crit Rate rolls a little since he'll be getting it from the artifact set but you still want about a 30%-40% baseline. The sweetspot is around 60% where he'll have a near 100% crit rate when the set bonus starts working.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 12, 2023

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think people are scarred by 2 years ago when Raiden for some reason didn't work with Beidou, but that was an exception that was last minute changed from the beta, not the rule.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raiden doesn't work with Beidou because her attacks in her burst are burst attacks, not charge attacks. Raiden's whole kit is built around burst damage so she'd be way worse if she worked with Beidou, it was clearly a mistake.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
managed to hit Reputation 9 in Fontaine.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

hiddenriverninja posted:

would the scanner work with the game running through GeForce Now?

It's a screen scrapper, so it would depend on what device you're running it on and what resolution.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Endorph posted:

For decent pieces, it varies depending on character, but most offensive characters mainly want to focus on Crit Rate and Crit Damage. Generally, you want a 2:1 ratio of Crit Damage to Crit Rate (so for instance, 60-70% crit rate and 140ish crit damage for a baseline character who doesn't get crit as their ascension stat) and you kinda want to value pieces based on their Crit Value. 1% of crit rate = 2 points of crit value, 1% of crit damage = 1 point of crit value. A piece with around a 25ish Crit Value score would be considered decent, 30-35ish is good, and 40+ is 'you will use this for the rest of your life.' You wanna sorta judge the other stats as bonuses if they're relevant to the character rather than aiming for them that hard or sacrificing crit for them, outside of things like ER requirements.

Interesting.

Okay. So, some quick farming at least dropped a purple HP% Mare hat _and_ a gold Hydro Mare goblet. Neither one has much of anything in the way of crit on them, but neither do the pieces they'd be replacing, so in theory I could:

1) Just plug in the HP% hat for now and bring his total HP up to about 32K.
2) Switch to the gold Hydro goblet, which would be the fourth piece, and free up hat for a pure crit rate circlet.

Testing method 2, ganking a circlet that was sitting on Yae Miko, I get this:

A little better? (A quick playtest seemed to give slightly _lower_ damage, less 5-digit ticks than I'd seen before with the same playstyle, but it's a small sample size. I also may be seeing slightly lower peaks but far fewer valleys.)

The lesson here that I'm hearing is that you can't tell if a piece is trash or not until you've leveled it significantly, which is painful to my ears as artifact exp is rare and precious.

V-- Fair enough. I have one (1) gold circlet with Crit Rate main and Crit Damage substat -- a +0 Wanderer's Troupe. I'll try leveling that up and hoping for the best, but it'll be a little while, as I'm about out of sacrificeable fodder.

delfin fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Oct 12, 2023

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

Never use purples. The relic grind is bad but you just have to wait until you get a good main stat on a five star and then level it, see what the sub stats are like and if they suck try to get a new one with better stats and feed the bad sub stat piece into it. Search “kqm Neuvilette guide” and work from there, it’s not a bible but it’ll tell you generally what stats to look for.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Use purples for EM hat and cup!!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I have settled for Neuv with 38k health, 40/80 crit, and... 238 EM (lol substat rolls)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Wriothesley seems really rad and dynamite for freeze teams even with his dumb HP mechanic to the point that I'm gonna get him and risk getting Furina, especially since I didn't pull for Neuvillette.

Still don't have Venti, ever since the dual banners he's been there with someone far more interesting. Sorry air-wino.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Anora posted:

managed to hit Reputation 9 in Fontaine.

Lookit here, we got a quest doer

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Wings, man. New WINGS.

I'm at 8 and a half, myself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also, you should probably save hardcore artifact grinding for until you're at max adventure rank and can do the hardest trial levels. what's your world level?

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
lol it's gonna take me forever to do this event entirely because event minigames and quests are way less annoying to do on mobile than the regular commission quests for the daily primos

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Assuming that you mean me, WL 8, Rank 56. I just had a long time away. For instance, my Jean still had Festering Desire on her until last week.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Festering desire is not a bad sword for Jean. You mostly want her as a burst support, and FD is a nice compromise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

delfin posted:

Assuming that you mean me, WL 8, Rank 56. I just had a long time away. For instance, my Jean still had Festering Desire on her until last week.
Oh, in that case don't bother with 4* artifacts.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Lookit here, we got a quest doer

Ewww, you're supposed to let those build up until they keep you from doing an event!

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
I just wanted the treasure tracker. Also, boy there are some BS hidden chest in Fontaine, the crab race chest on the west side of Fontaine is just :psyboom:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I finally got Genshin Optimizer set up again - last time I used it was over a year ago since I take frequent breaks and did t really have any new characters I had significant build questions on.

I forgot how neat it is since it does go against my instincts sometimes, like having Itto with 99% crit while sacrificing crit dmg and not going closer to 1:2 ratio. Also since last time I used it Dendro is a thing, so I’m curious to run some dendro comps through it to see how far off I was with my own builds.

I don’t think I could do it without Akasha though - taking that many screenshots and cropping them would be hell, much less adding in characters talents manually, weapon levels and refinements etc.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Speaking of calculators, what artifact scanner do folks on windows use. I have way too many at this point to eyeball any time I want to set up a new team or character.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

sushibandit posted:

Speaking of calculators, what artifact scanner do folks on windows use. I have way too many at this point to eyeball any time I want to set up a new team or character.

I use Inventory Kamera and the goon above you seems to have good experiences with Akasha. You can find links to both of them at Genshin Optimizer's scanner page.

https://frzyc.github.io/genshin-optimizer/#/scanner

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
For artifacts you want the right main stat first and everything else is just fussing over substats. I judge artifacts by counting each useful substat/upgrade it has. So if you have Neuvillette who scales with HP% then I count each useful substat.

+1: HP%, Crit%, CritDmg%, Energy Recharge, EM
+½: Flat HP
0: Everything else

A perfect artifact will have 9 useful substats (4 + 5 upgrades.) Overall substats need to be balanced but it's easiest to pick the best overall artifacts and then balance it out with one slot. For example say you need more ER on Neuv so you settle with an artifact that has +22% and 299 HP. So that's 4 ER substats and ½ flat HP makes 4½ which is garbage for substats but fixes a major ER deficiency in your build.

Counting substats is useful for deciding whether to keep upgrading an artifact. If you hit level 12 and only have 4 useful substats that means at best you will have 6 substats by level 20. That artifact can never be good. And sometimes you have to eat poo poo while leveling flat def 5 times in a row because it's an EM goblet and those are hard to find. :mad:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2djS2cvIz64

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Shinji2015 posted:

Ewww, you're supposed to let those build up until they keep you from doing an event!

This is 100% going to happen when Natlan releases and I'll have to spend like a week autofiring the text button to get through it all.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Web event for Wrigglesworth, walk to the right, inspect the person, click on their face, hands and conspicuous background element to get 40 primos and some mora.

https://twitter.com/GenshinImpact/status/1712317172419006876?s=20

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sanctum posted:

For artifacts you want the right main stat first and everything else is just fussing over substats. I judge artifacts by counting each useful substat/upgrade it has. So if you have Neuvillette who scales with HP% then I count each useful substat.

+1: HP%, Crit%, CritDmg%, Energy Recharge, EM
+½: Flat HP
0: Everything else

A perfect artifact will have 9 useful substats (4 + 5 upgrades.) Overall substats need to be balanced but it's easiest to pick the best overall artifacts and then balance it out with one slot. For example say you need more ER on Neuv so you settle with an artifact that has +22% and 299 HP. So that's 4 ER substats and ½ flat HP makes 4½ which is garbage for substats but fixes a major ER deficiency in your build.

Counting substats is useful for deciding whether to keep upgrading an artifact. If you hit level 12 and only have 4 useful substats that means at best you will have 6 substats by level 20. That artifact can never be good. And sometimes you have to eat poo poo while leveling flat def 5 times in a row because it's an EM goblet and those are hard to find. :mad:

Worth noting that there's a range of how much a stat can go up when it levels up. For instance even if an artifact hits its crit rate substat every time, it could be anywhere from 16.2%-23.4% at the end of it. So if you *really* want to get into minmaxing once you have perfect artifact sets, you also want to look for high rolls.

But that's mostly whale poo poo. It's just worth noting for why something can get perfect rolls and feel 'good' but not 'great.'

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

Worth noting that there's a range of how much a stat can go up when it levels up. For instance even if an artifact hits its crit rate substat every time, it could be anywhere from 16.2%-23.4% at the end of it. So if you *really* want to get into minmaxing once you have perfect artifact sets, you also want to look for high rolls.

But that's mostly whale poo poo. It's just worth noting for why something can get perfect rolls and feel 'good' but not 'great.'

You really can't whale the RNG for something that small. The returns from it are so small that you can spend a fortune and a TON of time to just get no results. It's more a matter of persistence in focusing on a specific character, doing the daily free artifact route, and choosing to spend all of the artifact exp on artifacts that may be only a tiny improvement. Ask me about my Hu Tao.

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Seems like half the point of whaling for a C6 123% dps increases is not having to do super repetitive tasks for the last 3%.

That said, the sane option is obviously to doneither, chill and have fun denouement of sin 5 times a day for a month or three. Lyney will have a decent set anytime now!!

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
If anything it seems like the whales are the exact same kind of people who are going to want to spend countless weeks farming the perfect artifact, what else are they going to do?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There are plenty of people who get invested in one specific character and would rather spend hours making them stronger than doing things that would gradually increase the power of their other characters. Like there's F2P players with C6 Raiden because Raiden is the only character they've ever rolled on.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The fact that you have to do an artifact domain 60 times to get a good one aside, the fact that it's once again very unnecessary seems like great design to me. Get a main stat artifact and you're set. Maybe you can hopefully get some substats that aren't flat atk and EM if you're lucky, that's not really gonna make or break your team though.

Anyway, the new banner's been announced and I don't want any of those weapons so I'm going for the weapon banner since Furina's a guarantee and I'm skipping Wriothesley and potential Venti constellations

(40) Dockhand's Assistant R2 (50) Portable Power Saw R2 (60)Skyward Blade Portable Power Saw R3 (10)Favonius Codex R5 Mitternachts Waltz R5 (20) Portable Power Saw R4 Rosaria C4

Well, you win some you lose some. Finally have a 5* weapon of every type though. Now I just need to figure out who if anyone would want a Skyward Blade with no BiS options, because Sacrificial Swords are amazing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

The fact that you have to do an artifact domain 60 times to get a good one aside, the fact that it's once again very unnecessary seems like great design to me. Get a main stat artifact and you're set. Maybe you can hopefully get some substats that aren't flat atk and EM if you're lucky, that's not really gonna make or break your team though.
Ehhh. If you wanna 9 star floor 12 you do need decent artifacts. Not hyperoptimized ones but decent ones.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

Ehhh. If you wanna 9 star floor 12 you do need decent artifacts. Not hyperoptimized ones but decent ones.

Oh I'm never talking about the Abyss, I just mean for the overworld and general story's difficulty. My idea of tougher challenges is just add more enemies to fight at a time rather than drop in a Kairagi with 6 Million HP and stagger resistance.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Well, you win some you lose some. Finally have a 5* weapon of every type though. Now I just need to figure out who if anyone would want a Skyward Blade with no BiS options, because Sacrificial Swords are amazing.
Bennett.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

But he generates so much more pyro energy for Xiangling if I have him using a Sac Sword!

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
New event: so now we're just making people read by force huh

New banner weapons: I forgot about the existance of these weapons lol
Fun thing to note: if you're using these on a Furina team, any amount of overhealing for your onfielder will guarantee full stacks on your next rotation. Because of Furina's distributed healing. At first I thought these weps were pretty underwhelming and should have been craftables but now that we know what's in store I've reconsidered. Still not worth pulling for them....!

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
That new event catalyst looks like it would be pretty good on Neuvillette. ER as a main stat, though.

Starting to wish my 'basically done' Neuvillette didn't have so much ER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Oh I'm never talking about the Abyss, I just mean for the overworld and general story's difficulty. My idea of tougher challenges is just add more enemies to fight at a time rather than drop in a Kairagi with 6 Million HP and stagger resistance.
The only actually difficult combat in the game is in the abyss and occasionally the "stack a billion modifiers on a boss for this event", so yeah, if you discount that then literally anything with the right mainstat works. Hell, you don't even need set bonuses if you're just talking overworld, but at that point you just ignore substats entirely and there's nothing to discuss or complain about the RNG on.

RareAcumen posted:

But he generates so much more pyro energy for Xiangling if I have him using a Sac Sword!
IIRC his "charged" elemental skill generates more energy than just tapping, but you only need to hold the control for a brief moment to count as "charged", not do the whole extended charge+animation. Higher base damage from the 5* sword may well be worthwhile over fav if you use that method, then again in the overworld it doesn't really matter so...