Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I'd say a major factor would be whether ebikes are even allowed on your local/favorite trail system but it turns out nobody loving cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I certainly don't care. If emtbs get people outdoors and using the trails, that's more people who are going to vote and donate for further trail improvement.

I draw the line at electric dirt bikes as those have enough horsepower to actually damage the MTB single track.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Clark Nova posted:

I'd say a major factor would be whether ebikes are even allowed on your local/favorite trail system but it turns out nobody loving cares

E-bikes aren't restricted to or from particular trail systems here and also nobody would notice or care even if there was a rule on the books. Outside of literally one incident on a climbing trail I've never once noticed if someone else is riding an e-bike let alone had any awkward interactions. I've had way more people act like dicks on "regular" bikes. I do wish e-bike riders would use bells or at least call out when passing but that's an everyone thing.

Eejit posted:

I certainly don't care. If emtbs get people outdoors and using the trails, that's more people who are going to vote and donate for further trail improvement.

I draw the line at electric dirt bikes as those have enough horsepower to actually damage the MTB single track.

What he said.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

VacaGrande posted:

E-bikes aren't restricted to or from particular trail systems here and also nobody would notice or care even if there was a rule on the books. Outside of literally one incident on a climbing trail I've never once noticed if someone else is riding an e-bike let alone had any awkward interactions. I've had way more people act like dicks on "regular" bikes. I do wish e-bike riders would use bells or at least call out when passing but that's an everyone thing.

What he said.

Yeah it's less a safety thing and more a erodes-the-trails thing

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

FWIW all the local trail builders I know have emtbs

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

Mederlock posted:

Outside of e-bikes with throttles like Sur-rons there's no evidence that e-bikes erode trails significantly worse than other bikes, but I'd love to see a study if I'm wrong.

IMBA study from 2015 showing nearly-identical outcomes from "regular" bikes and pedal-assist e-bikes

There are other potential concerns about reach into the backcountry and such, and that's a whole other can of worms, but I haven't seen any evidence that pedal-assist e-bikes are any more harmful than non-powered bikes.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

there's nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation can't prolong

I don't have an eMTB, but I'm all for them if it gets more people riding and supporting the trails.

My biggest concern with eMTBs isn't really about eMTBs at all but about the general trailbuilding philosophy that has driven their adoption. Especially in the western US, there seems to be a general philosophy that all the fun of mountain biking is in going downhill and that the climb is a chore you do to get there. I grew up in Michigan and moved to the PNW, and while I vastly prefer the riding here, the near total absence of good technical climbs is a real bummer. The only real technical climb I know of around here is an unsanctioned trail -- everything else is either wide machine-built trail or fire road.

I worry that with the adoption of eMTBs we're never going to see another Comfortably Numb or Kill Me Thrill Me get built. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing and it's certainly not a reason to ban e-bikes, but it does make me concerned about the general direction of the sport.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Mederlock posted:

One of our local trails was closed most of the summer because the e-bikes trashed them when it rained.

I would quit riding before I owned one but I decided to die on that hill for fun.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

I decided to die on that hill for fun.
Eroded trails will do that

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Setec_Astronomy posted:

I don't have an eMTB, but I'm all for them if it gets more people riding and supporting the trails.

My biggest concern with eMTBs isn't really about eMTBs at all but about the general trailbuilding philosophy that has driven their adoption. Especially in the western US, there seems to be a general philosophy that all the fun of mountain biking is in going downhill and that the climb is a chore you do to get there. I grew up in Michigan and moved to the PNW, and while I vastly prefer the riding here, the near total absence of good technical climbs is a real bummer. The only real technical climb I know of around here is an unsanctioned trail -- everything else is either wide machine-built trail or fire road.

I worry that with the adoption of eMTBs we're never going to see another Comfortably Numb or Kill Me Thrill Me get built. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing and it's certainly not a reason to ban e-bikes, but it does make me concerned about the general direction of the sport.

Where in the PNW are you? That doesn't sound like what I've experienced in greater Seattle area. Or maybe I've never seen what you mean by technical climbs!

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

It can be the same on the Canada side, technical climbs are kind of few and far between. Even then you have jackasses that go up the fire road to downhill the one climb trail in a network, because that is the mentality for most.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

bicievino posted:

Where in the PNW are you? That doesn't sound like what I've experienced in greater Seattle area. Or maybe I've never seen what you mean by technical climbs!

I'm in Issaquah, so we're talking about the same trails! The one local technical climb I know of is Raging River area; it's an unsanctioned trail that crosses Raging Tiger after it has flattened out. You can spot it if you look for a fairly narrow wood bridge on your left when climbing. Somewhere around here: https://www.trailforks.com/tracker/map/?ping=47.491261,-121.844492. It's one of my absolute favorite trails in the area. I think it is going to eventually be incorporated into the sanctioned trail network in one of the upcoming development phases.

There are some older trails around here that do have some good techy uphill (or flat) stuff on them, especially in the older, flatter riding areas like Paradise Valley and Summit Ridge. There are also some old multi-use trails (e.g. Ranger Creek) that are extremely technical but weren't really purpose-built for MTB. But newer trails (Tiger/Raging/Tokul/Duthie/Olallie/etc) generally follow the easy machine-built climb format. I've lived here a bit over a decade and I don't recall a single new uphill (or flat) technical trail being built in that time. The trail development here has been amazing in general but it's quite skewed in terms of the character.

All of this is just my impressions; maybe I've totally missed new riding areas and new developments that I should have been checking out!

Jehde posted:

It can be the same on the Canada side, technical climbs are kind of few and far between. Even then you have jackasses that go up the fire road to downhill the one climb trail in a network, because that is the mentality for most.

Yeah, it's definitely similar e.g. at Fromme or Seymour. Pemberton does seem to have taken an opposite tack -- they actually added "easy down" trails to make their fun climbs accessible to worse descenders! Whistler also has a bunch of great climbs and they're still making new good stuff (e.g. Dirty Beasts :chefskiss:)

Edit: Pic that someone else took from Dirty Beasts; this is a good example of what a tech climb might look like:

Setec_Astronomy fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 13, 2023

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Ropes4u posted:

One of our local trails was closed most of the summer because the e-bikes trashed them when it rained.

I would quit riding before I owned one but I decided to die on that hill for fun.

Wouldn't regular bikes have done the same thing?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Setec_Astronomy posted:

I wonder the same thing sometimes but it’s not even e-bikes completely driving it. Mountain biking as “go downhill and do gnarly stuff” seems to dominate a lot of the media space now. MTB as adventure or anything else seems less popular

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Gravel bikes have seized the mandate of adventure, and soon they will gain wider bars and suspension, and the cycle will be complete.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Levitate posted:

I wonder the same thing sometimes but it’s not even e-bikes completely driving it. Mountain biking as “go downhill and do gnarly stuff” seems to dominate a lot of the media space now. MTB as adventure or anything else seems less popular

Yeah I'm absolutely not blaming e-bikes for it; I think they're more of a symptom of that general shift in perspective.

Also I absolutely love going downhill and doing gnarly stuff! I just want to also go uphill and do janky stuff!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I got into mountain biking because I was like "what if bikes but also no cars?"

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mederlock posted:

I see this argument a lot yet 99% of people who use it never even volunteer to help with trail maintenance anyway. If the people who complained about ebikers actually helped trail builders and trail associations maintain their local trails this wouldn't even be an issue.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
So I wanted to close the loop on my story.

I ended up buying a Norco Optic C3. It came in at a really good price, there was really only one other option and it was a big step back component wise.

I took it to Stromlo today and rode up the greens with one blue in the middle on the way up, then greens all the way down. We stopped short of the steepest climb because of time constraints.

The climb was really fun. Definitely I was totally outpaced by the emtb but I still got up there fine.

Downhill was great. Hit a few of the jumps and a couple of the little baby drops. Felt extremely confident the whole way.

Overall; mission success.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Setec_Astronomy posted:

I'm in Issaquah, so we're talking about the same trails!

What's your opinion about the Grand Ridge trail that connects on the south end of Duthie? I rode that and it was like 1000+ feet of climbing over however many miles. I thought it was super fun on my hardtail so the next week I rode from Woodinville to Grand Ridge south on Lake Sammamish trail, then rode 5 miles of Grand Ridge on a 10-speed road bike (complete with rim brakes). If you want some white knuckle climbing and descending that should do it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

abigserve posted:

So I wanted to close the loop on my story.

I ended up buying a Norco Optic C3. It came in at a really good price, there was really only one other option and it was a big step back component wise.

I took it to Stromlo today and rode up the greens with one blue in the middle on the way up, then greens all the way down. We stopped short of the steepest climb because of time constraints.

The climb was really fun. Definitely I was totally outpaced by the emtb but I still got up there fine.

Downhill was great. Hit a few of the jumps and a couple of the little baby drops. Felt extremely confident the whole way.

Overall; mission success.

I’ve had an optic for a few years and really enjoyed it. Get a little bag to mount on the underside of the top tube. I carry my inreach among other stuff in it.

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

What's your opinion about the Grand Ridge trail that connects on the south end of Duthie? I rode that and it was like 1000+ feet of climbing over however many miles. I thought it was super fun on my hardtail so the next week I rode from Woodinville to Grand Ridge south on Lake Sammamish trail, then rode 5 miles of Grand Ridge on a 10-speed road bike (complete with rim brakes). If you want some white knuckle climbing and descending that should do it.

Grand Ridge is a great trail for getting some cardio, but it's not very technical. I haven't ridden it in a while and I do recall some tough switchbacks but not too much else.

I could definitely underbike to get more of a climbing challenge, but that doesn't hold the same draw for me.

I'm doing some trail maintenance at Tiger later this month and I'm going to try to get the ear of someone at Evergreen about building some actual technical uphills. I've talked to one of the main Tiger trailbuilders before about it and we did not see eye-to-eye (he hates Comfortably Numb and thinks it's 1990's trail design, which is exactly my point).

Aside; I just looked at the Trailforks comment section for Comfortably Numb:

Trailforks commenters posted:

comfortably numb was pretty bad. Pockets of 5 second descents in between flat chunky rocks and roots. Not much fun on longer travel bikes

There is not an inch of the trail that is not covered in rocks and roots. Made it tough to get any flow at all for me.

This IMBA awarded trail is a must ride once in your lifetime. And by that I mean ONCE in your lifetime. The guys that awarded this trails were high on something. If by all the features a trail must have they mean lots of push a bike and pedal strikes you got yourself served. To be honest I’m never riding it again, worst experience I had in Whistler.

A different climbing trail could make this trail world famous.

AAAAGGGHHH this trail IS world famous!!!! It's famous because of the climbing sections that it does have!!! Get off my lawn!!

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

prom candy posted:

I got into mountain biking because I was like "what if bikes but also no cars?"

This is me, 1000%. Trees only move once in a great while, compared to vehicles consistently trying to murder me.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thinking about getting a camelback type system for water, any recommendations? Some people say they make your back sweaty but personally I tend to run on the cold side. Part of the draw for me is having a backpack to ride with also means I could chuck knee pads or extra layers or whatever in there. Right now I ride with a water bottle in a cage and a tiny hip pack for my phone and stuff.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If you're looking for some vintage 90s trails check out the Tapeworm over in Renton. There's no real uphill downhill split like you'd see on Tiger, it's built on a relatively small patch of hillside so it alternates alot as the trail worms around. It's nonstop roots, rocks, logs, and offcamber corners. Good luck getting through without putting a foot down a few times.

This is where I learned to ride back in the early 2000s, then took a looooong break before getting back into mtb recently. I was shocked at how much the sport had reoriented to downhill. I do love the downhill aspect of it now but I still go back and do Tapeworm and it's neighbor Parasite once in awhile.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I think a big part of it is just that old school technical climbs do not play nicely with modern long/low/slack geo. There are a few climbs like that in this area where the switchbacks are tight enough that you need to sort of hop your way around if you're on a long bike and the trees are narrow enough that you need to put your handlebars through one side at a time. Some absolute monsters can do it for sure, but it sucks all the fun out for me when I find my ride interrupted all the time.

Maybe they'd be more fun on an XC bike or an old school bike with a steep head angle and narrow bars.

I had a week off this week, so I went down to Fernie and conditions were incredible. Didn't see a single other person on the trails during my weekday rides.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:eyepop: i love riding through fern tunnels in dark pine forests but i'm so jealous of these open views

come up to Bellingham for some techy climbs. Galbraith and Chuckanut/Blanchard have some great uphill (and downhill, ofc) trails

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

WHERE MY HAT IS AT posted:

I think a big part of it is just that old school technical climbs do not play nicely with modern long/low/slack geo. There are a few climbs like that in this area where the switchbacks are tight enough that you need to sort of hop your way around if you're on a long bike and the trees are narrow enough that you need to put your handlebars through one side at a time. Some absolute monsters can do it for sure, but it sucks all the fun out for me when I find my ride interrupted all the time.

Maybe they'd be more fun on an XC bike or an old school bike with a steep head angle and narrow bars.

I had a week off this week, so I went down to Fernie and conditions were incredible. Didn't see a single other person on the trails during my weekday rides.

My spouse went from a 620mm bar to 760mm on their new bike and all the narrow trees on older trails went from challenging to ‘lol, nope.’

Setec_Astronomy
Mar 10, 2003

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

If you're looking for some vintage 90s trails check out the Tapeworm over in Renton. There's no real uphill downhill split like you'd see on Tiger, it's built on a relatively small patch of hillside so it alternates alot as the trail worms around. It's nonstop roots, rocks, logs, and offcamber corners. Good luck getting through without putting a foot down a few times.

I enjoy Tapeworm for sure! It's classic jank. I think I've ridden it clean a few times but it's certainly not easy. Two Trees at Paradise Valley is another great one.

My real complaint isn't that there are no tech trails in the area, it's that they aren't building them anymore*! Everything built in the last 10 years is smooth climb into rowdy descent. The only exception I can think of is Summit Ridge, and that was just a rebuild/rework of an existing trail that was destroyed by logging.

*Edit: and that I wish we had tech trails that climbed mountains.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

come up to Bellingham for some techy climbs. Galbraith and Chuckanut/Blanchard have some great uphill (and downhill, ofc) trails

Trail recommendations please! I recently rode Space Wolf at Galbraith which has a nice techy entrance and exit; is there more like that? Galbraith is so huge that I feel like I've barely scratched the surface after 10-or-so visits.

Setec_Astronomy fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 13, 2023

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Trail recommendations please! I recently rode Space Wolf at Galbraith which has a nice techy entrance and exit; is there more like that? Galbraith is so huge that I feel like I've barely scratched the surface after 10-or-so visits.
Galbraith: Ridge trail (up from north side) -> cedar dust -> bandito -> pony express -> three pigs -> huff and puff. All singletrack climbing/flat trails full of rocks and roots. There are so many more though -- tough love, the entire kaiser/bottle opener/happy hour area, intestine, el pollo, ewok village, goldilocks

I've only hiked the blanchard/chuckanut areas so I can't recommend anything specific there

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
A guy I know is selling a Trek Marlin (a couple years old model, a 6 I think) in my size for $500. Barely ridden, deore 10spd 1x drivetrain, 29" wheels. Does that sound like a reasonable buy? I bought my road bike from the same person and know him personally, so I trust his evaluation of the condition/ mileage.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Any bike for $500 is reasonable if it fits you and doesn't have major issues.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

A guy I know is selling a Trek Marlin (a couple years old model, a 6 I think) in my size for $500. Barely ridden, deore 10spd 1x drivetrain, 29" wheels. Does that sound like a reasonable buy? I bought my road bike from the same person and know him personally, so I trust his evaluation of the condition/ mileage.

Reasonable, if a little high. $650-800 msrp depending on when he got it. OTOH, I can’t think of a better/cheaper option that’s as convenient.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

prom candy posted:

Thinking about getting a camelback type system for water, any recommendations? Some people say they make your back sweaty but personally I tend to run on the cold side. Part of the draw for me is having a backpack to ride with also means I could chuck knee pads or extra layers or whatever in there. Right now I ride with a water bottle in a cage and a tiny hip pack for my phone and stuff.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/siskin-12-SISKIN12S23_584.html

I ride with that every ride, it works great.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
The voices in my head are telling me I should get a fatbike this season

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Nohearum posted:

The voices in my head are telling me I should get a fatbike this season

so are voices on the forum

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I prefer the syncro 12 as you have a sleeve on outside to stuff the pads.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

prom candy posted:

Wouldn't regular bikes have done the same thing?

I don’t think regular bikes tear up the trail nearly as much as e-bikes - am I wrong?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
bikes :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ropes4u posted:

I don’t think regular bikes tear up the trail nearly as much as e-bikes - am I wrong?

On uphills you're probably right, on downhills there's no difference imo.