Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

steinrokkan posted:

It's just a guy called Roman, the placement is incidental.

Acknowledge him. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

TinTower posted:

Acknowledge him. :colbert:

i'd rather watch hogan vs. warrior at halloween havoc '98

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

From what I learned playing Civilization and Rise of Nations, the US did have Greco-Roman architecture in ancient times.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The important thing is that Ancient Egypt was full of hot babes in bikinis

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

O.K. but what if “EUROPA” is controlled by space aliens from the same‐named satellite of Jupiter?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Platystemon posted:

O.K. but what if “EUROPA” is controlled by space aliens from the same‐named satellite of Jupiter?

All of these regions are yours, except Mesopotamia. Attempt no settlement there.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The freudian fascination with big white columns is just like the government controlled by big gladius and façade of democracy ruled by the richest people on earth

We did it on purpose. Please stop mocking us when George Washington, inventor of liberty, wrote in the constitution we have to do it this way in 4000 BCE.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Aren't those sorts of games made mainly in China?

If so then it's just reverse orientalism (or, uhh, occidentalism) really.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Private Speech posted:

Aren't those sorts of games made mainly in China?

If so then it's just reverse orientalism (or, uhh, occidentalism) really.

Yes, they are all weird Chinese games, and when you find out how much they rake in, you will gain a type of sadness that will only be resolved by having one million battle power, or looking at other weird maps.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
Those aren't games, those are map painting skinner boxes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tnega posted:

Yes, they are all weird Chinese games, and when you find out how much they rake in, you will gain a type of sadness that will only be resolved by having one million battle power, or looking at other weird maps.

I mean that's just a standard Civ map...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Some of these games actually have decent-looking art. Unfortunately I assume they're the usual predatory pay-to-win mobile game garbage

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Quorum posted:

All of these regions are yours, except Mesopotamia. Attempt no settlement there.

Settle Ur? I hardly know Ur!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is this telling me where most remote workers live or where their employers are? guessing the latter, but want to make sure.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i think the joke is that not a single one of those arrows is accurate

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

i say swears online posted:

i think the joke is that not a single one of those arrows is accurate

The centers of triangles are closer, I think, though still not right?

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Atlanta appears t9 have been m9ved just outside of Dothan Alabama i see

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Also the bizarre choice to lump numbers together in a single symbol. When with only 10 you could just label the map directly.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Count Roland posted:

Also the bizarre choice to lump numbers together in a single symbol. When with only 10 you could just label the map directly.

I appreciate the attempt, sort of, being colourblind. That key there is telling me there's three colours and I keep looking. Pretty sure it's monochrome map with two kinds of triangle either pointing at or centered on wherever the maker thought these cities are.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

abelwingnut posted:

is this telling me where most remote workers live or where their employers are? guessing the latter, but want to make sure.

At first I thought the map was just bad, but it turns out it is lying. The map ranks cities based on co-working spaces (i.e. WeWork) and completely misses one of the main benefits of remote work is your commute is measured in footsteps.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://clips.twitch.tv/GenerousTubularPeppermintImGlitch-Og80MUBFJjNjPLds

oh man i totally forgot the world cup was happening. here's a ten-hour youtube of the event!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY6hkg87Ufc

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
racist idiot’s idiot map but the place names were funny to me

https://x.com/padek_de_wish/status/1712603368038793343?s=46&t=KMMfueYvpy-W7VUWexdGpA

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

i say swears online posted:

https://clips.twitch.tv/GenerousTubularPeppermintImGlitch-Og80MUBFJjNjPLds

oh man i totally forgot the world cup was happening. here's a ten-hour youtube of the event!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY6hkg87Ufc

i lolled at the final location for the day being a stones throw from my old weed dealers house

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Nice calque of Lille/Rijsel though.

e: 'Al Jazira' means 'The Island', which is also the etymological root of French Lille (L'Île) and Dutch Rijsel (Ter IJsel).

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
Is there any particular reason why he thinks it'll be specifically the Ismailis who will be taking over? Aren't there only like 2 or 3 million of them worldwide? I mean I know the answer is that he's a racist idiot but it still seems like an odd choice.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

stereobreadsticks posted:

Is there any particular reason why he thinks it'll be specifically the Ismailis who will be taking over? Aren't there only like 2 or 3 million of them worldwide? I mean I know the answer is that he's a racist idiot but it still seems like an odd choice.
I mean, if the parallel is Jewish people, then it kinda has to be a minor denomination.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, if the parallel is Jewish people, then it kinda has to be a minor denomination.

I hadn't even made the anti-Semitic connection until you pointed it out, I thought it was just an Islamophobic Eurabia thing and the mapmaker had a weirdly specific grudge against one particular Islamic denomination.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011
I also initially read it as "here's what the Muslims are doing to France, making it an Islamic state, driving out our culture into minor enclaves." I've seen plenty of maps like that, also with England or Germany or any other European state.

But now I can see it's clearly "here's what it would be like if the Muslims did Zionism to us, so now you can see Zionism is bad." I don't think it's antisemitic, in fact the whole point is that the colonial process of Zionism can be enacted with any colonizing culture or religion, that the Jewishness of Zionism is ultimately just an aesthetic component.

Goes to show that right-wing ambitions and right-wing anxieties are sympatico across cultures.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

You all haven’t even commented on the funniest part which is that the Bayonne Strip is controlled by Action Française

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I also initially read it as "here's what the Muslims are doing to France, making it an Islamic state, driving out our culture into minor enclaves." I've seen plenty of maps like that, also with England or Germany or any other European state.

But now I can see it's clearly "here's what it would be like if the Muslims did Zionism to us, so now you can see Zionism is bad." I don't think it's antisemitic, in fact the whole point is that the colonial process of Zionism can be enacted with any colonizing culture or religion, that the Jewishness of Zionism is ultimately just an aesthetic component.

Goes to show that right-wing ambitions and right-wing anxieties are sympatico across cultures.

Yeah I mean the account that posted it has a pinned post of them flipping off the Star of David when it was projected on the Eiffel Tower and the geographic parallels to the West Bank Gaza Strip etc make it a pretty direct anti-Zionist commentary but I’m still pretty confident in my initial racist idiot claim

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

It's probably just because it starts with Is- like Israel.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Out of all the islamic symbols, especially for Ismailis who have a flag already, they chose the heptagram.

I’m guessing this is the rare antisemite who is consistent about Israel, instead of being cool with Israel because they hate muslims more.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It looks more like a pro Palestinian map of how the conflict looks from a Palestinian perspective, using a well known country like France to illustrate the occupation.

Also where's French Guiana?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

BonHair posted:

Also where's French Guiana?

In South America

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Badger of Basra posted:

You all haven’t even commented on the funniest part which is that the Bayonne Strip is controlled by Action Française

Now that's funny

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Frionnel posted:

It's probably just because it starts with Is- like Israel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishmaelites

I'm fairly, basically 99%, sure it refers to this rather than Ismailism.

It's the Arab (or rather the Bible and such referring to Arabs, though I think the Quran and/or Islamic traditions basically accepts the same thing) counterpart to Jews being the "children of Israel" (where "Israel" actually is just the name of a dude), Arabs are "the children of Ishmael" (or "Ismail" in the transliterated Arabic rendition).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 15, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Randarkman posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishmaelites

I'm fairly, basically 99%, sure it refers to this rather than Ismailism.

It's the Arab (or rather the Bible and such referring to Arabs, though I think the Quran and/or Islamic traditions basically accepts the same thing) counterpart to Jews being the "children of Israel" (where "Israel" actually is just the name of a dude), Arabs are "the children of Ishmael" (or "Ismail" in the transliterated Arabic rendition).

this is also what i inferred at first glace

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
portugal is... central europe?