Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ASAPI posted:

Where do they expect these people to go? Isn't any potential "safe zone" already over crowded with people who are already attempting to evac?

This really sounds like they are just knee jerking their way through this and hoping their lack of planning/leadership/goals can be forgiven if they drop enough ordinance.

Go? I don't think they care about them "going" anywhere, and don't even expect it to happen you can't move a million people in one day and it's beyond farcical to even say that.

It's them saying "We're going to genocide everyone here oopsie doodles looks like you didn't leave fast enough you must be a terrorist guess you all die now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

ASAPI posted:

they are just knee jerking their way through this and hoping their lack of planning/leadership/goals can be forgiven if they drop enough ordinance.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
What are the war goals of Israel?
Are they attempting to grab Gaza city and hold it? I don’t think this would be that sustainable unless they expel or kill everyone there.

Or are they just punching the drywall because of all the mass murder?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

psydude posted:

It's insane that Israel didn't have an OPLAN for how to deal with the removal of Hamas by force.

This is shocking me as well.

Hamas has been the boogeyman for Israel for as long as I can remember, and then some. How is there not a building filled with various plans and options for what should be considered a likely possibility? Did they really think they were winning the "hearts and minds" of Hamas and no longer needed to plan for crazy poo poo?

If this is the result of their national defense planning, what does their emergency disaster planning look like?

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

ASAPI posted:

This really sounds like they are just knee jerking their way through this and hoping their lack of planning/leadership/goals can be forgiven if they drop enough ordinance.

https://youtu.be/rblfKREj50o?si=43ntCeBdK5KOQwjv&t=171

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Dan Carlin, famous for being the most popular history podcaster, is a Nazi by any other word

Samovar posted:

Not that we needed evidence that Carlin had lost the plot, but this is... Uh...

https://twitter.com/HardcoreHistory/status/1712180772151710190

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

ASAPI posted:

This is shocking me as well.

Hamas has been the boogeyman for Israel for as long as I can remember, and then some. How is there not a building filled with various plans and options for what should be considered a likely possibility? Did they really think they were winning the "hearts and minds" of Hamas and no longer needed to plan for crazy poo poo?

If this is the result of their national defense planning, what does their emergency disaster planning look like?

I'm grimly certain no one in Netanyahu's government had a plan for taking out Hamas because their planning was on how to resolve the problem by removing the Palestinian presence in Gaza.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Dan Carlin, famous for being the most popular history podcaster, is a Nazi by any other word

That's disappointing.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I think you'd find this sentiment towards Israel among a lot of American liberals and the pro-Israel left, even when they recognize it would be a far-right, racist talking point if spoken by a white American towards our black and brown minorities. A lot of cognitive dissonance on the subject.

Figuring out how to integrate peacefully would be a challenge after decades of bad blood, but... Israel has had had the dominant position for decades and have only exacerbated the situation in that time.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm grimly certain no one in Netanyahu's government had a plan for taking out Hamas because their planning was on how to resolve the problem by removing the Palestinian presence in Gaza.

We're ending up at that same place, but on the way there I think expecting a differentiation between Palestinians and Hamas might be an error in anticipating Netanyahu's government plans in situations like their removal from Palestine.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Liquid Communism posted:

Even then, carpet bombing doesn't seem like an effective method. It feels like the equivalent of a toddler throwing poo poo around.

I thought Israel was more sophisticated than what we are seeing. Their military and intelligence networks have mostly been held as higher level "first world" when media and state actors talk about them. What we are seeing right now is what I would imagine the House GOP would cook up, not a country that was supposedly operating at a higher level.

The whole situation and how Israel is prosecuting their campaign feels like there is no plan. If there ever was a plan, it wasn't a very good one.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

ASAPI posted:

Even then, carpet bombing doesn't seem like an effective method. It feels like the equivalent of a toddler throwing poo poo around.

I thought Israel was more sophisticated than what we are seeing. Their military and intelligence networks have mostly been held as higher level "first world" when media and state actors talk about them. What we are seeing right now is what I would imagine the House GOP would cook up, not a country that was supposedly operating at a higher level.

The whole situation and how Israel is prosecuting their campaign feels like there is no plan. If there ever was a plan, it wasn't a very good one.

First Russia, now Israel?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Cugel the Clever posted:

I think you'd find this sentiment towards Israel among a lot of American liberals and the pro-Israel left, even when they recognize it would be a far-right, racist talking point if spoken by a white American towards our black and brown minorities. A lot of cognitive dissonance on the subject.

Figuring out how to integrate peacefully would be a challenge after decades of bad blood, but... Israel has had had the dominant position for decades and have only exacerbated the situation in that time.

Hypocrisy, double standards, are not cognitive dissonance. It's a choice. "It's understandable or, even good, when we do it"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Borscht posted:

What are the war goals of Israel?
Are they attempting to grab Gaza city and hold it? I don’t think this would be that sustainable unless they expel or kill everyone there.

Or are they just punching the drywall because of all the mass murder?

Punishing and terrorizing a civilian population can be a war goal unto itself, especially for a state whose long term national dreams include ethnic cleansing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I don't know what template Israel would even follow to become a plural nation that wouldn't immediately erupt into civil war. South Africa maybe, but that relied heavily on Mandela's force of personality and near-universal global admiration. Bibi sure as poo poo ain't Mandela, and if the Palestinians have one, I don't know who it is. Certainly not from within Hamas anymore, ANC may have been "terrorists" in the eyes of white South Africans but I don't think they ever committed anything near the massacres that just took place. Hamas's name is poison to any peace process now.

Maybe Rwanda, but for all the progress that country has made, it's a one-party state.

Perhaps it is better to not do apartheid or genocide to begin with, but go ahead and pretend I posted that statement in the defenestration meme template.

ASAPI posted:

This has all the signs of a politician demanding that something be made to explode on TV right now

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

ASAPI posted:

I mean it might be effective at virtue signaling to their own people "we're going to break them for this poo poo." Throw in a liberal disregard for those the bombs will fall on and it's doing what it needs to do. And that's before we get into the possibility that there is no need for them to be sophisticated if "all the kills count the same" i.e. this isn't about rooting out Hamas alone but ethnic cleansing. And the vibes/signs are pointing to the latter even at this early stage. Idk, I hope they can be pulled back from that particular brink but its FUBAR and SNAFU all the loving way.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Discussion Quorum posted:

This has all the signs of a politician demanding that something be made to explode on TV right now
Americans at it, too:

quote:

Republican members of Congress are now openly advocating the slaughter of Palestinian civilians in Gaza. "Level the place," says Lindsey Graham. "No rules of engagement" says Rep. Max Miller, a former Trump aide.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-sec...
https://bsky.app/profile/paulwaldman.bsky.social/post/3kbn3kkkfdf2m

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
for real though, that kinda talk is signalling, IMO, to the israelis that if the right admin is in place in 2024, they ain't got poo poo to worry about. Actually us being divided at home politically and the shitshow on the home front kinda already gives them the pass to get away with as much as they can, whether the world is looking or not. so idk, but holy poo poo what loving ghouls walk among us

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Liquid Communism posted:

They don't need to say it out loud. Everyone listening knows exactly what the goal is when you spend a decade confining people into a small geographical area, blockading their imports, and shooting anyone who complains too loud then declare you're going to 'eliminate' partisans in their midst en masse. The best case scenario is a Trail of Tears or Phnom Penh style migration assuming one of the surrounding countries can and will accept a couple million refugees.

I know a non-zero number of people who are genuinely, honestly referring to “when the war is over” as though this is a heads-up, state-to-state, military conflict. I have no idea what they think the endgame is but it’s definitely not genocide. (To be clear, I think they’re wrong, but I don’t think they’re lying.)

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

The endgame for both sides of this conflict are some variation on the themes of war crimes and/or genocide. No one at the controls is interested in much else besides.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The endgame for both sides of this conflict are some variation on the themes of war crimes and/or genocide. No one at the controls is interested in much else besides.

one of them actually has the means to do this and is doing it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Humanitarian groups and the UN are already calling on Israel to rescind their evacuation order:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/13/middleeast/israel-gaza-hamas-war-friday-intl-hnk/index.html

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Israel's president on the subject of civilians in Gaza is: "What civilians? I don't see any civilians?"

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/1712811314299490353?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I don't think Israel of all countries wants to open the can of worms that begins with "all citizens are collectively responsible for overthrowing a repressive, genocidal regime"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cythereal posted:

Israel's president on the subject of civilians in Gaza is: "What civilians? I don't see any civilians?"

https://twitter.com/henrymance/status/1712811314299490353?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

:stare: Jesus loving Christ.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I'm very...numb to everything going on. I should feel outraged, or disgusted but mainly just resigned to the idea that no matter what level of performative support one puts on social media, the entire Gaza strip is in the process of being flattened. There will not be a stop this time. Cooler heads will not prevail. Nobody will intervene to help the people of Gaza.

Another genocide, available for our viewing pleasure in real time. "Never again" was a lie. The institutions that promised them lied to our faces.

Call me a doomer, whatever. I calls them like I sees them.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Cythereal posted:

Is the Israeli president a mostly powerless figurehead like in most parliamentary systems? Idk everyone in Israeli politics but I could see the presidency being a place where they stick an absolute loon because he says red meat things for the base without having much actual power.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The mass evacuation order may or may not have been intended as a ruse, but according to reporting on the ground they bombed a civilian/medical convoy of ~30 vehicles that was complying with the order.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

MA-Horus posted:

I'm very...numb to everything going on. I should feel outraged, or disgusted but mainly just resigned to the idea that no matter what level of performative support one puts on social media, the entire Gaza strip is in the process of being flattened. There will not be a stop this time. Cooler heads will not prevail. Nobody will intervene to help the people of Gaza.

Another genocide, available for our viewing pleasure in real time. "Never again" was a lie. The institutions that promised them lied to our faces.

Call me a doomer, whatever. I calls them like I sees them.

cant be a doomer if youre spittin facts

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The mass evacuation order may or may not have been intended as a ruse, but according to reporting on the ground they bombed a civilian/medical convoy of ~30 vehicles that was complying with the order.

Which they have done before.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Time is a flat circle, Israel am become the Nazis, hail ss-18 Satan may his passing cleanse this dumb earth and let some other species do better

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
poo poo is going down in Jordan. Protesters being dispersed with tear gas and poo poo.

Jordan disperses pro-Palestinian protesters heading to border with West Bank

quote:

AMMAN, Oct 13 (Reuters) - Jordanian riot police on Friday forcibly dispersed hundreds of pro-Palestinian protesters trying to reach a border zone with the Israeli-occupied West Bank as thousands held anti-Israel demonstrations across the country, witnesses said.

Jordan is worried that a regional widening of violence arising from the war between Israel and Palestinian Islamist group Hamas in Gaza could have repercussions for itself given that a large percentage of its population are Palestinians.

Jordan lost the West Bank including East Jerusalem to Israel in the 1967 Middle East war and the Palestinian territory was seeing a rise in violence between Palestinians and the Israeli military and settlers even before the Gaza conflict erupted.

Witnesses said police fired tear gas to halt about 500 demonstrators who had reached a security checkpoint outside the capital Amman on a highway leading to a main border crossing.

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/tens-thousands-protest-after-muslim-prayers-mideast-israeli-103952022

Tens of thousands protest after Muslim prayers across Mideast over Israeli airstrikes on Gaza

quote:

JERUSALEM -- Tens of thousands of Muslims demonstrated Friday across the Middle East in support of the Palestinians and against the intensifying Israeli bombardment of Gaza, underscoring the risk of a wider regional conflict as Israel prepares for a possible ground invasion.

From the typically sedate streets of downtown Amman in Jordan, to Yemen's war-scarred capital of Sanaa, crowds of Muslim worshippers poured into the streets after weekly Friday prayers, angered by devastating Israeli airstrikes on Gaza that began after the militant group Hamas launched an unprecedented surprise attack on Israel last Saturday.

Thousands demonstrated in Amman in neighboring Jordan, some crying out: “We are going to Jerusalem as millions of martyrs!”

coalition, demonstrators crowded the streets waving Yemeni and Palestinian flags. The rebels' slogan long has been: “God is the greatest; death to America; death to Israel; curse of the Jews; victory to Islam.”

“We are ready to participate actively and send hundreds of thousands of mujahedeen ... .to defend Palestine, the Palestinian people and the holy sites,” the Houthi government said in a statement Friday.

After Friday prayers, Egyptian demonstrators ringed the historic Al-Azhar Mosque in downtown Cairo, the Sunni Muslim world’s foremost religious institution, chanting that Israel remained their enemy “generation after generation." They repeated the traditionally nationalistic slogan, “We give our souls and blood to Al-Aqsa."

In Pakistan's capital of Islamabad, some worshippers trampled on American and Israeli flags.

“International media and international courts turn a blind eye to the injustices with the Palestinians. But they only notice the actions that the Palestinians take to defend themselves," said Faheem Ahmed, a worshipper in Karachi. "They call it terrorism.”

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 13, 2023

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
Update on the world's worst he said she said

https://x.com/sarasidnerCNN/status/1712415116363169884?s=20

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

One thing we can all do - right now - is call the White House & tell them that you expect the Biden administration to do everything possible to encourage Israeli restraint & avoid attacks on civilians in Gaza. The comment office is closed on Fridays (!), so call the switchboard: 202-456-1414.
https://bsky.app/profile/texasinafrica.bsky.social/post/3kbno65fqyz2g

(we really need Bluesky embeds)

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
This is a pretty good video

https://youtu.be/lbSFJaFuWU0?si=HcdTUfd4EZUfNA63

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Copy that. It's one of the most neutral reports on current events out there. I've been following that channel for a couple of years now, and they're generally level-headed and apolitical.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

oh dear. Nevertheless they’ll figure out something else to throw out there, true or not. Damage is already done.

ETA till ‘65 Indonesia tier psyops and black propaganda? Because I feel like that’ll come too.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

its ok because as you can see from this very thread it got the reaction they desired

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
can we talk about that hair for a loving second tho

yeah you sorry alright. not that drat sorry. gotta be first w the byline and i mean someone was gonna do it right?