Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Tbh i hate doing eyeliner too, yeah sure just tattoo it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Satine's 'smart businesses do this' is just going to be how to ghost Kickstarter backers and not produce anything.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

drat big boost for my endorphins I just got asked to speak at a museum in my town for game book stuff and the population here is almost two million. Get on my level Stone. Well no actually don't keep doing whatever mlm timeshare horseshit that looks like.

I'm glad someone else got serious real estate, MLM, and time share vibes from this.

You know what they say, those who can't, teach. I guess flaming out in a niche industry is enough to get you on the "success" grifter circuit.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Cassius Belli posted:

It's not broken yet, but will soon.
So you see how your image's URL looks like this?

code:
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1131708259326246994/1162110245141745684/IMG_0669.png?ex=653abe81&is=65284981&hm=a8def08a9d9c1b340dec6968e2b692fb9773c3ebf7632818d6e323fd01a858de&
You see the ex, is, and hm parameters? Those are timestamps (and an anti-counterfeiting hash) designed so that Discord can expire links and stop serving images after the ex time, 24 hours from when the link was generated. They haven't turned on enforcement yet but have said they plan to do it by the end of the year.

And so the enshitification process continues

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
lmao discord finally realized how expensive all that image and file hosting was as they scaled and became larger.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Zoeb posted:

And so the enshitification process continues

How is Discord stopping people from posting images on SA enshitification?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CitizenKeen posted:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

CitizenKeen posted:

The same way breaking tweet embeds (and the whole site) ruins old threads full of funny things

It’s worse here because people pay for higher file size discord upload capabilities but now that loses a lot of the benefit.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I mean people theoretically paid for it for use on discord, and not as file storage in general.

Discord is very much going through enshittification, as like as a nitro payer, I would like to not keep getting notifications for bullshit, and the username change was bad.

But yeah, I get maybe not wanting to be the next imgur or megaupload, when the service you offer is supposed to be a modern iteration of irc.

But yeah this change just torches offsite loading. Inside of Discord the API that loads and renders messages will be able to pull the data off the CDN and update the link.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Oct 13, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was wondering when they were going to stop doing that. Seemed likenam obvious oversight. But Discord hasn't really understood how people actually use their product since ever.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Bottom Liner posted:

The same way breaking tweet embeds (and the whole site) ruins old threads full of funny things

It’s worse here because people pay for higher file size discord upload capabilities but now that loses a lot of the benefit.

Eh, that's a stretch. Tweet embeds link back to the site, where you can then reply to the OP or retweet it or whatever; it's part of the core functionality of Twitter as a social media platform. Hotlinking to random images on Discord doesn't connect back to Discord in any real way.

Basically this, lol:

LatwPIAT posted:

It's 2003. I'm watching people on forums warn each other about the courtesy of not hotlinking images from the original host to not overload the servers. It's 2023. I'm watching people on forums warn each other about the courtesy of not hotlinking images from the original host...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Of the things discord has done lately, "not wanting to be the next imgur" is maybe one of the more sensible ones, but it's still going to be lovely, and it's a fun one-two punch coming on the heels of imgur themselves doing a big purge of hosted images not too long ago.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Dexo posted:

Discord is very much going through enshittification, as like as a nitro payer, I would like to not keep getting notifications for bullshit, and the username change was bad.

What's up with the name change thing? I keep saying no when it prompts me

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

ilmucche posted:

What's up with the name change thing? I keep saying no when it prompts me

In order to “reduce confusion and improve security” aka “look more like twitter or Facebook” they removed usernames with the 4 numeral identifier (#Username1234). Everyone will have to have a single word, no spaces, lowercase username now (@username). They decided to roll this out based on how long someone had been registered on Discord, but without any real support for cases of identity theft.

You will be forced to pick a new username eventually, whether the same one but lowercase or a new one because someone poached yours.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kai Tave posted:

Of the things discord has done lately, "not wanting to be the next imgur" is maybe one of the more sensible ones, but it's still going to be lovely, and it's a fun one-two punch coming on the heels of imgur themselves doing a big purge of hosted images not too long ago.

The biggest problem with Discord is that it's a completely poo poo substitute for web forums and wikis but has, de facto, replaced or at least hollowed out those kinds of sites in a lot of communities/hobbies/etc. If I thought this change would seriously discourage people from using Discord as an archive, I would applaud it. In practice, I think that ship has already sailed, people will continue to use Discord as an archive, only now it's going to be a shittier archive because they don't want to pay to maintain a useful feature.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've come to resent navigating a separate discord for nearly every Patreon, Kickstarter, LGS, or indie game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

I've come to resent navigating a separate discord for nearly every Patreon, Kickstarter, LGS, or indie game.

On the one hand I can sorta get this, but on the other I have very clear memories of using RPGnet back when it was the de facto biggest place to talk about TRPGs online, a great big robust centralized forum, and that it was extremely hard to keep momentum for discussing a lot of games going outside of bigger names like D&D, WoD, Exalted, etc. Like I don't attribute this to any sort of failing on RPGnet's part, but at the same time I suppose I don't particularly remember the golden age of forums as being that much better from a "one stop shop" perspective. As an archive? Yeah, forums (when they have functioning search lmao) work really great a lot of the time, but for active communities tailored to a specific game or set of games you were still usually either casting about or having to put in a bunch of work to make things take off.

e; and obviously discord servers don't hook into websearching at all, which even with google undergoing its own enshittification is a huge downside.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I would pay a lot of money for a Discord-but-forums site. (No, it's not reddit.)

Like, one place to register (a la Discord).

Private or public, each with its own rules (a la Discord). The same invite functionality as Discord.

Linear conversations (a la forums).

Not requiring an app for first-class functionality (a la forums).

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Since this is the Trad Games forum, I for one enjoy the fact that I all my local gaming stores/clubs have Discord servers so that I can engage with those communities directly and can more easily organize meeting times/game interests/room reservations. Discord was and continues to be a game changer in my Trad Games life because it lets me talk to my whole group at once, keep track of downtime activities, re-post handouts they saw during the game, etc. etc. This of course doesn't even take into account its main purpose, which is just being a place to voice talk with my friends while we are playing games on Steam together.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Individual threads on a single forum also don't have their own sign up processes where you have to answer a quiz and pick your role before you're allowed to read posts

Edit: I suppose I'm coming at this from a video game perspective rather than a TG one but I'm just tired of having to sign up for a discord server to find information that used to be on GameFAQs.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

CitizenKeen posted:

I would pay a lot of money for a Discord-but-forums site. (No, it's not reddit.)

Like, one place to register (a la Discord).

Private or public, each with its own rules (a la Discord). The same invite functionality as Discord.

Linear conversations (a la forums).

Not requiring an app for first-class functionality (a la forums).

that's reddit lol

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Megazver posted:

that's reddit lol

No, reddit doesn't have linear conversations.

Ninja Edit:Also, the need to have a url means people fight over garbage subreddits instead of making their own. Like, everytime somebody asks about a TG Goon Discord, there are a half dozen links. People can make their own whatever for whatever. Compare to reddit where you have drama in a subreddit because people want to keep the /r/mynichehobby url.

Get rid of the broken reply structure. Get rid of voting. Get rid of urls.

I just want to go to citizenkeenswish.com and see a navbar on the left with RPG.NET, and SomethingAwful, and the Gauntlet, and the other half dozen forums I care about, all in one place.

CitizenKeen fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 13, 2023

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The biggest problem with Discord is that it's a completely poo poo substitute for web forums and wikis but has, de facto, replaced or at least hollowed out those kinds of sites in a lot of communities/hobbies/etc. If I thought this change would seriously discourage people from using Discord as an archive, I would applaud it. In practice, I think that ship has already sailed, people will continue to use Discord as an archive, only now it's going to be a shittier archive because they don't want to pay to maintain a useful feature.

Remember that Discord started out as a way for gamers to shout 'LOLOL' and 'pwnd!' at each other. Using it as a BBS is off-label.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Discord really shines for groups of like 10 people max.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Also reddit has a garbage mobile site and an ever worse app

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Discord has been an absolutely wonderful tool for the playtesting I've done. It has all the right features for it - easy group communication, voice chat for tests, channels to keep things kinda organized, pins for important stuff, security (as much as possible)... It's been great, honestly.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

On the one hand I can sorta get this, but on the other I have very clear memories of using RPGnet back when it was the de facto biggest place to talk about TRPGs online, a great big robust centralized forum, and that it was extremely hard to keep momentum for discussing a lot of games going outside of bigger names like D&D, WoD, Exalted, etc. Like I don't attribute this to any sort of failing on RPGnet's part, but at the same time I suppose I don't particularly remember the golden age of forums as being that much better from a "one stop shop" perspective. As an archive? Yeah, forums (when they have functioning search lmao) work really great a lot of the time, but for active communities tailored to a specific game or set of games you were still usually either casting about or having to put in a bunch of work to make things take off.

e; and obviously discord servers don't hook into websearching at all, which even with google undergoing its own enshittification is a huge downside.

Honestly my big issue with official RPG discords is publish your goddamn errata and official rulings somewhere that isn't a Discord.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

YggiDee posted:

Also reddit has a garbage mobile site and an ever worse app

They killed off the i.reddit version and it became a nightmare to use

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I really don't have any issue with it for small group organizing, that seems to be what it's for.

But for something like checking out a new microgame? I don't want a whole-rear end loving one-stop community with General chat and whatever's happening in Carl's Beautiful Vestibule or The Pain Lane, or photos of what people are cooking tonight.

I want to look at the rules so I can talk about them with my actual, already existing friends to decide if we should dig in.

I realize it's probably a generational thing, but I don't need or want a pre-fab community for every single thing that catches my interest.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I have a small Discord server for the people I game with IRL and it's super helpful if someone needs to blast out 'Hey, I'm running late.' or 'Are we playing today?' to the entire group. It's also been fun for wargaming stuff, enabling us to post up a scenario and let people know to design army forces for it. Heck, it's even let us continue to game with a couple that moved out of state thanks to the video-conferencing. For these things, I'm glad to have it.

For some of the stuff, mostly what moths is saying, I'm in complete agreement. If I'm curious about your product, I don't want to have to join your community to sate my curiosity. I might never want to join your community, I don't know enough to make that decision yet. I had to reach out to a creator (I bought an STL pack) about a missing file and they very quickly emailed me the missing file but let me know there was a post in their Discord about it. I don't give a poo poo, my good dude, I don't really want to interact with other folks simply because we bought the same thing from someone.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

moths posted:

I realize it's probably a generational thing, but I don't need or want a pre-fab community for every single thing that catches my interest.

Ultimately, it isn't about what the current generation wants. Modern social media murdered the old forum ecosystem, and people are just trying to make do with the options they have now. Discord's good at the community part of how people used to use forums, but it's garbage as a public place to collate information. But it's what people have and making a discord is the easiest option, so people are using it for both anyway.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Mors Rattus posted:

Honestly my big issue with official RPG discords is publish your goddamn errata and official rulings somewhere that isn't a Discord.

Google+

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

hyphz posted:

Google+

We lost so much.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

I hate using discord for basically anything. Maybe I'm just old.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

YggdrasilTM posted:

I hate using discord for basically anything. Maybe I'm just old.

I have Inbox Zero-style ADHD and Discord just makes me anxious.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lumbermouth posted:

Just turn off notifications, it's fiiiiine.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

King of Solomon posted:

Just turn off notifications, it's fiiiiine.

I wish I could have any control at all of the order servers appear in the list. I have to remember where the two I look at most often are in the list. If the app can do that better than the browser version, I'll finally install it.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

mllaneza posted:

I wish I could have any control at all of the order servers appear in the list. I have to remember where the two I look at most often are in the list. If the app can do that better than the browser version, I'll finally install it.

You can drag servers around to reorder them and even put them in folders for grouping.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Ultimately, it isn't about what the current generation wants. Modern social media murdered the old forum ecosystem, and people are just trying to make do with the options they have now. Discord's good at the community part of how people used to use forums, but it's garbage as a public place to collate information. But it's what people have and making a discord is the easiest option, so people are using it for both anyway.

Part of it too is just costs. At the end of the day, if you want something free, your options are a lovely Wikia/Fandom wiki... or Discord. Say what you will about Discord being a bad mechanism for information retention but I'd rather use it than a lovely fandom wiki 100 times out of 100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Lumbermouth posted:

I do too and very aggressively mute channels and notifications.