Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Jel Shaker posted:

they’re not still making them?!

Yes the studio was resurrected in 2007 and has since produced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
wait, the Woman in Black was a Hammer film?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

keep punching joe posted:

Yes the studio was resurrected in 2007 and has since produced

oh let me in wasn’t too bad i recall

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jel Shaker posted:

oh let me in wasn’t too bad i recall

It's not bad, but not half as good as Let The Right One In.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

crispix posted:

that's the shittest parental grievance i've ever heard

I’m not aggrieved, I just thought it was funny that they both insisted on a copy and assured me that they had definitely read it.

Particularly my dad, he works in the same field.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When I worked in the NHS I had a big fall out with someone over her use of Excel. We merged with another unit and the new boss gave her the job to manage project budgets.. well she would type the various numbers in the spreadsheet but instead of using a formula to sum them up, she would add them up on her calculator and type the answer in. Then of course if a payment slipped months or changed, she'd have to hand calculate everything all over again to type the new numbers in.
One of the boss class said to me "she works so hard she was in 4 hours last night doing the calculations" and I said "that's because she doesn't know how to use Excel - do you know what she does? (proceeded to tell him - he was none the wiser because he thought an Etch-a-Sketch was a laptop) Once it's set up properly I could do all these changes in a few minutes not 4 bloody hours!

Ooh yes I see a lot of this. Every few months someone makes a beautiful brand new risk assessment, every line given its own ID code and the three risk factors stated and calculated perfectly... but instead of doing it in Excel, they do it as a table in Word. So whenever someone needs to add a new line in the middle of it, you have to renumber the potentially hundreds of following lines manually. Or if you change a risk factor, you better remember to change the calculation which obviously Word ain't gonna do for you.

I can see why they do it though... Our Documentation team insist on a tracked changes version of every update. Which excel doesn't have. So when I do my updates, they come out brilliantly until the end of the process when I have to remember exactly what I changed and colour it red myself. And despite every auditor loving these risk assessments, the business just can't be bothered to make one template that works automatically for everyone to use the same. Where would the fun be in that?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
oh. you watched the movie? I'm sure its fine. But I read the book

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

wait, the Woman in Black was a Hammer film?

well, not the original play

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

oh. you watched the movie? I'm sure its fine. But I read the book

Don't the adaptations usually leave out the zombie paedophile

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Don't the adaptations usually leave out the zombie paedophile

Yes, so far. The zombie paedophile awaits the director brave enough to portray him in his full glory :colbert:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

:siren: The El Borto Shitposting Army is now accepting new members :siren:

There are already some of the best top-tier lefty twitter posters in the discord server with more arriving, and they are already uploading their shoops in catalogued sections. There's already an impressive archive and it can only grow further. It's a great place to organise, and we have plans.

Up until now, many shitposters lost their shoops when their accounts were eventually nuked by twitter. They also lost all their connections, so everyone had to start from scratch each time. This will hopefully make it easier for people to level back up again.

PM me for an invite. If you don't have PM here, then DM me on twitter.
https://twitter.com/Elborto_SA/status/1712976439874609188

:gary: :420:

e: https://twitter.com/Elborto_SA/status/1713114670368731210

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 14, 2023

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Amazon posted:

John Ajvide Lindqvist is a Swedish author, born in 1968. He grew up in Blackeberg, a suburb of Stockholm. He wanted to become something awful and fantastic.

Oh poo poo he's a goon

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yes, so far. The zombie paedophile awaits the director brave enough to portray him in his full glory :colbert:

So that's what the Savile TV drama is about.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1712543914052263961

... and the fascism dial gets turned up another notch. It'll be interesting to see how they define 'praise' and the constraints of the definition of 'Hamas', as people are being arrested for carrying palestinian flags

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
^^^
torygraph's own editorial includes gems like 'not all those opposed to giving full-throated backing to everything Israel does are evil - some of them are merely stupid, or cowardly', and concludes with a thinly-veiled exhortation to the cops to cave some skulls in at demonstrations this weekend, to show that britain stands on the side of righteousness

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2023/10/13/britain-must-stay-firm-in-its-support-for-israel/

might just be me looking back rose-tinted glasses, but the last few days have felt more deranged even than the post-9/11 aftermath

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 14, 2023

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Apraxin posted:

might just be me looking back rose-tinted glasses, but the last few days have felt more deranged even than the post-9/11 aftermath

No, this time it really is more deranged. Scarily so

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Apraxin posted:

^^^
torygraph's own editorial includes gems like 'not all those opposed to giving full-throated backing to everything Israel does are evil - some of them are merely stupid, or cowardly', and concludes with a thinly-veiled exhortation to the cops to cave some skulls in at demonstrations this weekend, to show that britain stands on the side of righteousness

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2023/10/13/britain-must-stay-firm-in-its-support-for-israel/

In 2001 neither Facebook nor Twitter existed and Google was only just becoming known, and many people did not have internet access or emails.
We just had mainstream reporting.
Those images of the planes crashing into the twin towers were burned on my retina for days and for at least a week I dreamt it every night.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TACD posted:

LaTeX is good for typesetting maths and organising references and should be banned from doing anything else. Yes, I'll have a large McChicken meal, please.

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

I did give her the acknowledgements page though cause I dedicated it to her.

I have a dedication in my wife's PhD to my cooking :) A /lot/ of Mexican food in her final year.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Private Speech posted:

Incidentally, what the gently caress, how is Science Direct the biggest UK media by revenue?

But sure, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the academic journal publishing market.

They sell primary source law and analysis to law firms, banks, consultancies and corporates; this is very profitable.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fuctifino posted:

... and the fascism dial gets turned up another notch. It'll be interesting to see how they define 'praise' and the constraints of the definition of 'Hamas', as people are being arrested for carrying palestinian flags

I would like to report all students with uncut cocks.
How more anti-semitic can you get.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

happyhippy posted:

Smart move, we can get the bathroom genital inspectors on it

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Apraxin posted:

The reporting has been pretty ghoulish at times, too, with how unfiltered it's been at times.

[edit]
Also, immediately post-9/11 it still wasn't clear who was responsible for the attacks, whereas obviously we knew who was attacking Israel straight away.
It's much easier to put together a strong "they are the enemy" narrative when you know who the 'enemy' is. And we know how much the media loves their narratives.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 14, 2023

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

happyhippy posted:

Be Irish.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

kingturnip posted:

[edit]
Also, immediately post-9/11 it still wasn't clear who was responsible for the attacks, whereas obviously we knew who was attacking Israel straight away.
It's much easier to put together a strong "they are the enemy" narrative when you know who the 'enemy' is. And we know how much the media loves their narratives.

Both times people are using it as an excuse to bomb people who had nothing to do with it, it's not the same but people are reacting in just the same fashion

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/vicderbyshire/status/1713111853214147021

:toot:

I hope we see more protests like this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They'll have to use the other entrance with the nonce statue instead.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

What are they protesting?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Glincel has been spending the weekend rambling about how George Soros and the elite doctors are plotting to trans everyone and the British press so far has been going "what could this possibly mean?" so you can be an openly antisemitic Irish person as long as you thinly disguise it as a form of bigotry more palatable to the British.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Jippa posted:

What are they protesting?

March For Palestine Rights is happening today and the gathering is outside the BBC offices in that part of London.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Guavanaut posted:

Glincel has been spending the weekend rambling about how George Soros and the elite doctors are plotting to trans everyone and the British press so far has been going "what could this possibly mean?" so you can be an openly antisemitic Irish person as long as you thinly disguise it as a form of bigotry more palatable to the British.

Ireland supports and has supported Palestine so, according to Israel*, we be anti-Semitic.

*The ultimate arbiters of such things, apparently.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/MaryLouMcDonald/status/1713143152301785433?t=DjAsMUD6tpp3d8K5B8F2Vw&s=19

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

frytechnician posted:

March For Palestine Rights is happening today and the gathering is outside the BBC offices in that part of London.

I see, thanks.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

My great-grandma had one of them ultra-long gardens, it was like four normal gardens stuck together. It was great except the very last sector was surrounded by old, tall trees and had what I think was an ancient root cellar but which creeped my kindergarten brain out immensely. Had some absolute banger nightmares staying at her place centered around things emerging from the end of the garden, though the only one I can definitive remember anymore is a robot that chases you and if it touches you, deletes all your familial relations, everyone recognizes you and that you used to be their child or whatever but you're simply not anymore.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Jippa posted:

I see, thanks.

I will try and take photos and post them here, if anyone's interested.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

a robot that chases you and if it touches you, deletes all your familial relations, everyone recognizes you and that you used to be their child or whatever but you're simply not anymore.
That's what Alex Jones thinks the left wants in between attacking and dethroning gods and turning the frogs gay, or vice versa.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Ms Adequate posted:

My great-grandma had one of them ultra-long gardens, it was like four normal gardens stuck together. It was great except the very last sector was surrounded by old, tall trees and had what I think was an ancient root cellar but which creeped my kindergarten brain out immensely. Had some absolute banger nightmares staying at her place centered around things emerging from the end of the garden

Children of Green Knowe (the book and TV show) did a number on me growing up for this exact reason.

'Oh, you know that gnarled old ivy-covered tree down the dark and wooded bottom of your grandparents' garden, the one almost looks like it has a face and a beard from a certain angle? Yeah, that's actually a possessed devil-tree, and at midnight, it's going to uproot itself and walk up the lawn towards the house to come and get you.'

Kids just don't get traumatised like they used to.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

grobbo posted:

Children of Green Knowe

That was based in the manor house at Hemingford Grey whose garden bordered the playing field to the primary school that I attended. Yes. That book affected us too

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

fuctifino posted:

that puff pastry headed oval office was sat round a table with a shower of other cunts and asked the question "who's our easiest target?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Monica Bellucci posted:

Ireland supports and has supported Palestine so, according to Israel*, we be anti-Semitic.

*The ultimate arbiters of such things, apparently.

Pro Palestine... but not pro Hamas, the gobshites need to learn to differentiate between the two... a foolish hope maybe. :rolleyes: