Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The biggest issue I have with SH3 is Vincent and his insane hand gesturing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucca Blight
Jun 2, 2009

Professor Wayne posted:

I'd be interested to hear your take on Little Nightmares after you play it. I dig that series a lot. And I think Phasmo is more fun multiplayer (though way less scary). I'd be up for playing when you get to it

Gotta say, despite the basic gameplay I enjoyed the fluid movement. And the art style really upped the enjoyment factor. The designs of the big dudes was pretty unsettling.

My only complaint was that the ending was kinda sudden, but I'm still gonna pick up the DLC and sequels during the Halloween sale. The fact it doesn't really punish you for loving up was a breath of fresh air.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

New Humble Bundle for Horror games

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
This week I played DreadOut and some of the first Dread X Collection.

DreadOut had been on my backlog for about half a decade, so it felt good to finally knock it out. It was a pretty good time, despite a fair amount a jank and puzzles with nonsensical solutions. But it was also charming in a retro way. I spent a lot of time in part 1 running around aimlessly, looking for whatever I needed to progress. Part 2 was more streamlined, but I found myself missing the feeling of searching for an escape from a spooky place like the school. I guess I need to play some Fatal Frame games now, not sure if I'm sold on DreadOut 2.

The first Dread X was a mixed bag, and I ended up only playing a few games all the way through. There were a few fun and spooky games, a handful of meh games, and then a few stinkers. I own all the Dread X collections, so if anyone can recommend any must-plays, that would be awesome.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Played Milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk last night and am playing Hellblade now. Quite a trip playing the voices inside someone's head and then playing the person with voices in their head.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I figured I could finish one game quick before Spider-Man 2 comes out this month so I picked SIGNALIS!

I'm maybe a hour in but there's some implications

||with the fact I picked up a book about the king in yellow and there's all these terminology like gestalt and replikas and it's like... I've heard this in another video game before...

Don't know where it's going but imma find out!

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Professor Wayne posted:

The first Dread X was a mixed bag, and I ended up only playing a few games all the way through. There were a few fun and spooky games, a handful of meh games, and then a few stinkers. I own all the Dread X collections, so if anyone can recommend any must-plays, that would be awesome.

Dread X 1: I didn't play many from this one, but my favorite by far was Summer Night. Definitely check that one out if you skipped it. Shatter is also pretty neat but might be kind of clunky or boring depending on your taste.

Dread X 2: Squirrel Stapler and Sucker For Love are the big stand-out games. Solipsis was short but interesting. Ditto for Undiscovered. A lot of people seemed to like To The End of Days as a goofy throwback but I didn't care for it at all. Touched By an Elder God is similar but I kind of liked the theme better than Days. Definitely skip Arcadletra. Thing in the Lake has interesting art (same dev as World of Horror!) but seems frustrating to actually play; boot it up once and look up its mechanics if you get stuck. I liked The Diving Bell, though the voice acting could've been better. I didn't get around to the remaining three: Toy Shop, Charlotte's Exile, and Another Late Night. I think Exile and Late Night are supposed to be decent.

Dread X 3: Bubbo's Adventure is a throwback to N64 collectathons that people seem to like but I very much did not. People also really like Chip's Tips while I was lukewarm on it. Submission I thought was very clever, funny, and unnerving so definitely try that. Didn't get around to the others yet.

Dread X (4) The Hunt: The Fruit seemed interesting but I had a bug (caught on geometry I think) and didn't care to restart. I also checked out Black Relic (same dev as Hand of Fate, Undiscovered, and Chip's Tips) and found it to be a total slog. Never got around to it, but Uktena 64 is supposed to be good. Didn't get around to the others.

Dread X 5: I don't know jack poo poo about this one! I'm hoping to hear from someone else about it.

Orb Crabmelt fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 13, 2023

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Speaking of World of Horror, go play World of Horror if you haven't already. Mechanically, it's not terribly impressive—kind of like playing the tabletop game Elder Sign by yourself—but holy hell, the aesthetic is fantastic. Heavily inspired by Junji Itou (though I think the sole developer is Czech?):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfQ0KELzcqI

I haven't personally booted it up in a year or two, but it's supposedly coming out of early access on the 19th, so there might be a bit more to it than I described.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I bought this bundle basically for Bone Totem, but I already own two of the games.

Here's the keys for anyone who wants to grab them:

Alan Wake - 0GN29-8IYC7-YNQR4
Pathologic 2 - RY65B-MJ2L3-Q8ZDH

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I bought this bundle basically for Bone Totem, but I already own two of the games.

I grabbed Pathologic, thanks!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Ineffiable posted:

SIGNALIS

[...]

Don't know where it's going but imma find out!

braver folk than you have tried

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

I snagged Alan Wake, thanks!!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Tormented Souls and Pathologic 2 hellyeah

Alan Wake is fine i guess

Sounds like I should check out Stasis?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Junk posted:

shattered memories was a great fit for the wii with its flashlight controls and being able to hold the remote up to your ear during the creepy cell phone calls. it was a totally cromulent spinoff of silent hill that didn't try to be a dollar bin knockoff of sh2. the psychological test gimmick was neat even if it didn't impact the plot in that significant a way. it at least made for interesting repeat playthroughs. i'd even say the game's better than downpour

I thought the ending was really touching :unsmith:

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I also have keys:

Alan Wake Collector's Edition
0ARHQ-RIWXY-85ZR6

Bendy & The Ink Machine
B25QI-DWLEM-TQPA8

Bendy & The Dark Revival
MMP8D-MRX6H-AYHGI

Moons of Madness
42HAD-YCAPF-AALWE

Pathologic 2
RR2H7-RQKMD-0MGJB

Tormented Souls
2GHVQ-9I229-HQY4Y

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I picked up the pack for Bendy Revival, I hear it's actually pretty good.

For people in the thread who haven't played the first one, I did and the game is a roller coaster, ie it very rapidly goes downhill.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I also have keys:

Alan Wake Collector's Edition
0ARHQ-RIWXY-85ZR6

Bendy & The Ink Machine
B25QI-DWLEM-TQPA8

Bendy & The Dark Revival
MMP8D-MRX6H-AYHGI

Moons of Madness
42HAD-YCAPF-AALWE

Pathologic 2
RR2H7-RQKMD-0MGJB

Tormented Souls
2GHVQ-9I229-HQY4Y

goddamn those were claimed fast. I grabbed moons of madness, the rest were already activated, I didn't try Alan Wake which I already own.
thanks!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

WaltherFeng posted:

Also definitely do not include any sort of weapon durability or crafting because that's just equally terrible. Just give James expendable kitchen knives or something if he gets grabbed. RE1make solved this poo poo 2002.

I like the breakable golf clubs in SH4, not to actually use, but just the absurdity of the concept. Did they need to clog up your limited inventory space with an entire set of individual golf clubs with limited uses before they broke and became useless (but still took up space in your inventory)? No, but it's really funny that they did.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Orb Crabmelt posted:

Speaking of World of Horror, go play World of Horror if you haven't already. Mechanically, it's not terribly impressive—kind of like playing the tabletop game Elder Sign by yourself—but holy hell, the aesthetic is fantastic. Heavily inspired by Junji Itou (though I think the sole developer is Czech?):

I haven't personally booted it up in a year or two, but it's supposedly coming out of early access on the 19th, so there might be a bit more to it than I described.

I’ve been trying to work out if it actually is releasing next week. As far as I can see, no-one’s said it isn’t, but also it’s not been mentioned anywhere since August…

Shastahanshah
Sep 12, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Strawberry Panda posted:

Played Milk inside a bag of milk inside a bag of milk last night and am playing Hellblade now. Quite a trip playing the voices inside someone's head and then playing the person with voices in their head.

The sequel to Milk is even better, highly recommend it. There's a bit more of a coherent/fleshed out story (not in the sense of oh no it overexplains everything, in a good way!) and the art style is different but also really evocative.

Orb Crabmelt posted:

I remember a week or two back, people talked about how after maybe the first few horror games, there's no way anyone could actually be scared enough of something to stop playing it.

I wouldn't say it was just being scared, but the combination of anxiety/grossness/scary stuff did get me to stop playing WoH at one point when it was new lol. I hadn't played too many horror games then though, I mostly got into the genre other than VNs after high school, so other people's mileage may vary.

Instant Grat posted:

Sounds like I should check out Stasis?

Sorry to make a run on post, but absolutely! You might want to play the previous game first if you can, but more because it's harder to be able to go back due to stuff like way worse voice acting over it being like, necessary to appreciate Bone Totem.

Shastahanshah fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 13, 2023

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Shastahanshah posted:

The sequel to Milk is even better, highly recommend it. There's a bit more of a coherent/fleshed out story (not in the sense of oh no it overexplains everything, in a good way!) and the art style is different but also really evocative.

Oh yeah I bought both at the same time. I may have my girlfriend go through the first one and then go through the second one together with her.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okay in Signalis I just Beat my first boss Mynah, and explored some more. I read some files on replikas models and it feels like I'm gonna find out I'm a faulty unit of my past life or something. I also found a diary that seems to implicate we might be in some kind of loop. Lots of things going on but nothing coming together yet. Game is really tense but fun in that way

I definitely agree, the item limits is so tiny. And that camera was useless since any platform you can play the game on will have some kinda screenshot feature.

They could at least make it so anything you equip to the item/tool slots don't take up space, so it would be like giving an effective two slots.

JimmyBiskit
Nov 15, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

I’ve been trying to work out if it actually is releasing next week. As far as I can see, no-one’s said it isn’t, but also it’s not been mentioned anywhere since August…

It's leaving early access on the 19th. It's been pushed back repeatedly for full release (on account of the sole dev having an active career as a dentist anlong with dealing with personal life matters) but he's been committed to releasing the game from early access with a bunch of new content/changes. Pretty excited to prod at the new bits of it, game's already a fun little roguelite.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ineffiable posted:

Okay in Signalis I just Beat my first boss Mynah, and explored some more. I read some files on replikas models and it feels like I'm gonna find out I'm a faulty unit of my past life or something. I also found a diary that seems to implicate we might be in some kind of loop. Lots of things going on but nothing coming together yet. Game is really tense but fun in that way

I definitely agree, the item limits is so tiny. And that camera was useless since any platform you can play the game on will have some kinda screenshot feature.

They could at least make it so anything you equip to the item/tool slots don't take up space, so it would be like giving an effective two slots.

A friend of mine started the game as part of a horror game marathon and got about where you are, I'd say that's probably my favorite stretch of the game: the opening through the area you're in now. My biggest complaint of the game, oddly, isn't the inventory but how often it tends to be that you'll exit a room and immediately be in a monster's face unless you go through knocking everything down.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Just caught Poets of the Fall live, so now I'm very hyped for Alan Wake 2, especially since they did My Dark Disquiet before the intermission and finished off with Late Goodbye before the encore.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I noticed Alan Wake Remastered was on sale on the PS Store, may try to replay it before 2 comes out. If I don’t play on hard or anything it shouldn’t take too long to beat, right?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I noticed Alan Wake Remastered was on sale on the PS Store, may try to replay it before 2 comes out. If I don’t play on hard or anything it shouldn’t take too long to beat, right?

I remember it being pretty long. Longer than Control anyway

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Could probably beat it in about 9 to 10 hours if you rush it

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I had 12 or 13 hours in mind from when I played through a while back, and from a quick glance at completionist sites that seems like the right ballpark if you're not 100%ing it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had 12 or 13 hours in mind from when I played through a while back, and from a quick glance at completionist sites that seems like the right ballpark if you're not 100%ing it.

Yeah that scans for a first playthrough, especially if you aren't trying to 100% it. The DLC is another 6 hours or so combined.

It's a longer game than I remember a lot of times, i usually think of the game up until the Farm fight but there's still quite a bit of game after that to wrap up the last plot point.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It probably feels like a longer game than it because all the time you spend in the forest kind of melds together.

I wonder if Barry is going to be in AW2. He might be too wacky.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I managed to beat the game + DLCs in 14 hours.

1stGear posted:

I wonder if Barry is going to be in AW2. He might be too wacky.

At the very least he'll have a cameo. I hope they don't shy away from the comedy too much, the stuff in the DLCs with Hallucination Barry is a blast.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Maybe you meet him as the FBI agent? Or (mechanic spoilers for the game from some of the previews) write him into the story at a narratively crucial point to save your rear end using your mind powers as Alan.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Considering Control is tied into AW I don't think goofy is a concern.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Remedy trying for drama ends up plenty goofy as is so yeah I imagine it won’t be a problem

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Where did anyone ever get the idea that a remedy game would not be goofy? It's very much a part of their charm.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Alan Wake is a game about Sam Lake using his face to be the face of Max Payne and feeling angst about it. Perfectly ridiculous.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Control is about Sam Lake getting really into the SCP Wiki right after reading House of Leaves

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Is Quantum Break about Sam Lake finally getting a Netflix account?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I played through Mundaun and while I enjoyed the aesthetic and story, anytime the game wanted to pretend to be a game was just miserable. I don't know why there was even combat in this thing, but it always sucked. It wasn't difficult, it just sucked. The puzzle solving wasn't much better, since it was all very hand holdy and just felt tedious, when the game should have been about building up the atmosphere of this ominous mountain peak and the evil(s) that lurk on it.

It was quite an unfortunate disappointment.