Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

https://ruhlman.com/homemade-bacon/

I bought a pork belly from Costco, nitrates and a meat slicer from rural king and made my own bacon.

After smoking it was some of the best I've ever had.

Similar to the high dollar Benton's bacon I can get locally but not overpoweringly smokey like theirs, they smoke for many many hours, mine only required a few hours.

Porkbelly costs more than bacon half the time or I'd be making it more often

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

The Costco brand bacon is pretty good imo. It's thick and not overly fatty.

Bacon is just another thing that sucks now and you have to spend a lot more to get something decent.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Virigoth posted:

SUPER DOUBLE 24 HOUR IPA RASPUTIN BOMB WITH HABANERO or whatever.

Old Rasputin is a good beer though

That I haven't seen around here in years :smith:

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

We Got Us A Bread posted:

It's about spooky stuff (https://www.youtube.com/@ReignBot, we're on a break right now doing other stuff) although my wife was a baker for a Japanese bakery for a while, so she does have bread experience. My av comes from a love of Japanese pro wrestler Satoshi Kojima, and his love affair with bread.

https://twitter.com/cozy_lariat/status/1517996360183681024?lang=en

That dude seems delightful. If you ain't buttering your bread, the calories have already won.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

I caved and got YouTube Premium. I could probably figure out how to re-block the ads, but I do always complain that the internet/world has moved in the direction of paying for everything with advertisements and stealing personal information. Surely now that I pay for Youtube that will stop and they won't just decide to do those on top of collecting a fee.

Also they actually just gave me a 2 month free trial so I haven't really paid for anything.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
AI assistant who will be my girlfriend when?

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

Nice Van My Man posted:

I caved and got YouTube Premium. I could probably figure out how to re-block the ads, but I do always complain that the internet/world has moved in the direction of paying for everything with advertisements and stealing personal information. Surely now that I pay for Youtube that will stop and they won't just decide to do those on top of collecting a fee.

Also they actually just gave me a 2 month free trial so I haven't really paid for anything.

I woke up to a you have 3 videos left prompt today. I've already found how to quickly get around that but man I would be willing to pay for the old youtube lite or whatever they called it. From what i remember it was just no ads. You didn't get the music and you didn't get some other features but it was only like 6 bucks a month. I'm willing to pay for convenience but their prices are absurd and I heard the old VPN trick doesn't work anymore. I'm not gonna give these assholes a god damned red cent.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah at least put off paying for the subscription. There’s probably a metric that says you caved an hour after we started blocking ads and it’ll only encourage them.

Then again, I don’t even know why they’re being this coy about it. Drop the hammer, ain’t nobody can stop you.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Nephzinho posted:

Get it cut at the butcher or get a pork belly at Costco. Also just eat less of it.

I'm not a super huge bacon fan and I don't have a butcher or Costco near me so I'm going to go back to just not buying it. I just wanted some bacon to dunk in my egg yolks. :(

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

At this point--and no judgement on anyone else--I'd embarrassed to pay for a YouTube subscription. I'd feel (no judgement! This is just my personal feeling, and only about myself!) like a little bitch.

edit: vvvv sure, I want to make clear, that I do not feel this way about nice van. Only that I'd feel like a dang sucker at this point to give Google even a dollar of my personal money, when a) they're an ad company and b) they play their services like a shell game.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 13, 2023

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.
it's not a bad play. op gets 2 months of premium youtube for nothing and can cancel at any time? in 2 months the adblock tech might already have it figured out.

then they can just cancel

Edit: by op i mean nice van my man

Denim Dude fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Oct 13, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

The bathrooms at work are your standard stall setups but there is exactly one bathroom in the building that's a single toilet and sink in their own room behind a locked door and obviously that's the one you want. Suddenly in the last few weeks someone has been getting to work before me in the morning and absolutely destroying that toilet. Complete disrespect. You don't even want to look at it let alone try to wipe it down and use it. Somehow this is happening every single day.

This has completely ruined me. My morning routine is in shambles.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

wash bucket posted:

The bathrooms at work are your standard stall setups but there is exactly one bathroom in the building that's a single toilet and sink in their own room behind a locked door and obviously that's the one you want. Suddenly in the last few weeks someone has been getting to work before me in the morning and absolutely destroying that toilet. Complete disrespect. You don't even want to look at it let alone try to wipe it down and use it. Somehow this is happening every single day.

That poster in this thread needs to fess up.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

We had a guy like that at my place of work. He left, and now suddenly a certain toilet smells nice again.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

wash bucket posted:

I don’t get the mentality of making a disgusting mess out of a bathroom and then just leaving it for others to contend with. Especially when it’s among a group of people who could deduce the deuce given some time. Like who loving raised you to be like that?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
i know people have said outlook search, but I'm mentioning it again because it somehow became worse recently? I don't know how it's possible but it finds even less of what I search for, now. just absolute trash.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

StrangersInTheNight posted:

i know people have said outlook search, but I'm mentioning it again because it somehow became worse recently? I don't know how it's possible but it finds even less of what I search for, now. just absolute trash.

I used Outlook years ago for my current job and if it’s outlook for Mac, there was a legit error that would cause it to hide emails when searching for them. Wonder if they ever fixed it, probs not.

While I find gmail to be a bit…I don’t know, persnickety at times, at least I can perform the most basic task without needing to download a fix.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

wash bucket posted:

That is exactly the reason why I never use the full single occupant restroom in our office. Every single day for the entire time I've worked here, I walk past and it has been subjected to nothing but the rankest shits you have ever smelled in your life.

Give me the stalls any day of the week. That's where people go to do things they're only mildly ashamed of.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

withak posted:

It's so your boss can get a report on whether you were paying attention during the team meeting.

They should sell microtransactions where you can pay for an AI generated model of yourself paying close attention with a pen and pad of paper for 2.99/hr

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

wash bucket posted:

Get to work earlier and/or name and shame.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Covid is destroying peoples GI systems as well

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

teen witch posted:

I don’t get the mentality of making a disgusting mess out of a bathroom and then just leaving it for others to contend with. Especially when it’s among a group of people who could deduce the deuce given some time. Like who loving raised you to be like that?

I've managed facilities at a couple of places and it became a professional hobby of mine to ID "The Mad Shitter".

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've wondered if there are people that genuinely don't realize that you're supposed to sit down to poo poo. When I was a night shift janitor at a recreation center I'd encounter poo poo on walls all the way up to eye level. Not just once, like, at least monthly.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You are supposed to rotate to get a boost from the centrifugal force

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I take my making GBS threads skills instruction from video-game hedgehogs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

teen witch posted:

While I find gmail to be a bit…I don’t know, persnickety at times, at least I can perform the most basic task without needing to download a fix.

I can't. My gmail search is absolute trash. I thought I posted about it here but it was in a PYF thread, so here's my rant again:

I tried to find my most recent electric bill , and this is what I got:

Because the first result (again, why it's the electric statement from July and not September, IDK) had the word "Burlington", I guess it figures I want to ALSO get results for that, so I get a generic email from the Burlington DPW about an issue with their online portal.
And then another electric statement...from May.

*Oh, maybe it's my fault for not typing out the whole word 'electric'? Ok, let's do that and see what we get:

Ok, we don't have that random DPW result anymore, and I get three electric statements, all of them being too old/not the most recent, and then two emails about my recent visits to an Urgent Care. I can assure you, nothing about my visits were related to "Electricity", and the urgent care is not in Burlington. Like...why in God's name are those in the search results at all?!

If I add more filters it finds things better, (I did find it by setting the time filter to just a month) but why should I have to do that? The word "Electric" should really only give me emails with the word "electric" in them, and if I'm only using that one word in the global search, it should prioritize that word appearing in the subject line, and show them to me reverse chronologically/most recent first.

Here's another example. I ordered some online art from a popular Marvel artist (at least for Marvel Snap), Dan Hipp. It hadn't arrived in a while (I did eventually get it) so I was looking for the order confirm. email to see if it had estimated dates or anything. Here's the result just searching for Hipp":

All I have is a shipment notice (And that's from Oct 6, I was originally searching before Oct 6 and so NO results came up.)

So I did more poking and looking, and this is what I have to search for to find my original order confirmation email:

Has to be MRHIPP. Not just "Hipp".

Again, that is a God-awful search algorithm if it can't find something from "MRHIPP" when I search for just "hipp."

"Oh, DrBouvenstein you dumbass, you need a wildcard in there!"

Yeah, nope. Just as lovely.

Doing some searching now and it seems Gmail doesn't use regex/wildcard operators, and doesn't do partial string match. It SEEMS it's always been this way, but I SWEAR I used to search for partial strings/"close enough" stuff and it found the emails I was looking for. Maybe I'm wrong?

Either way, I can't begin to fathom why it's like this. A company initially built on how good it's web-search was has email searching worse than Outlook 98?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

teen witch posted:

As someone with bowel issues, I despise all you stall pissing men. Use the drat urinals!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

DrBouvenstein posted:

Either way, I can't begin to fathom why it's like this. A company initially built on how good it's web-search was has email searching worse than Outlook 98?

I think what people forget about Google’s rise to ubiquity wasn’t that their products were particularly great, it’s just that everyone else’s were so loving awful.

IMO, a lot of their products (like Gmail) are coasting on inertia at this point.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i mean when their search was introduced it did tend to give better results because the method of ranking results based on how frequently they were referenced by other pages was a reasonable metric of being something you might want to look at

but that was a long, long time ago

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I was reminded of this sign someone put up at my previous job:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

remigious posted:

You disgusting lovely animal! I had to clean up your gross poo poo, and I got all lovely doing it! Yes I was touching it! No I didn't wear gloves! Grow up or I'll do it again anytime anywhere, pal!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

remigious posted:

What about places there's no brush ...

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
All of the VPs at that company were animals. It was the finance vp doing the making GBS threads, and another vp loved to park his stupid looking mustang across three spaces. Glad I escaped for many reasons.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Should've poo poo in the mustang before you left.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bathroom stories technically fit the thread title. Good job

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Virigoth posted:

IPAs ruined beer culture just like all those bourbon assholes and now there is peanut butter bourbon or some poo poo. If you want to get hosed up take a shot and then drink a good beer as your normal instead of SUPER DOUBLE 24 HOUR IPA RASPUTIN BOMB WITH HABANERO or whatever.

It is absolutely loving wild how everything is candy flavored now.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Virigoth posted:

lol Chipotle is raising their prices again.

Well, I'm glad they're at least acknowledging the increased cost of living and are putting that money towards employee wa-

*Hand to earpiece*

... ah.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Dip Viscous posted:

I've been buying bacon again after taking a break from it for a few years and none of the three brands I've tried have cleanly cut slices anymore. It looks normal in the package, but attempting to take some out results in it pulling apart into a stringy mess of shredded meat. The resulting tiny bits of cooked bacon still work for sandwiches, but WTF.

Not to mention a small pack is like $9 now. Guess that's another grocery staple getting moved to the "special occasions only" list.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
We’re leaving the age of unlimited conspicuous consumption. Which, for a lot of reasons, isn’t necessarily a bad thing. However, there is the absurdity of media towing the line about how people aren’t consuming enough while also doing their best to hide inflation, record corporate profits, etc. The middle class will erode and there will only be bacon havers and bacon have-not-ers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

shazbot posted:

We’re leaving the age of unlimited conspicuous consumption. Which, for a lot of reasons, isn’t necessarily a bad thing. However, there is the absurdity of media towing the line about how people aren’t consuming enough while also doing their best to hide inflation, record corporate profits, etc. The middle class will erode and there will only be bacon havers and bacon have-not-ers.

Can't afford bacon but that rich long pork is colorie dense.