Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

RandomBlue posted:

This may shock some people but it looks like that Stellaris Star Trek game is garbage.

Reviews are that it's low quality, low number of races and ships, bad VA, etc.. and that you should just play one of the Stellaris ST mods.

looking at the reviews it seems like two types of people bought the game: Stellaris fans and Star Trek fans

Stellaris fans aren't happy about paying Thirty Dollars for a game that's a stripped-down version of Stellaris with some Star Trek wallpaper slapped on

Star Trek fans wanted way more Star Trek references and flavor and lore put into the game, and aren't particularly big fans of the gameplay

it's a classic case of not really thinking about who the audience is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Should have spent the Star Trek licence fees on the Battletech licence instead for HBS.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
It just seems really weird when there are at least two full-featured Trek mods for Stellaris anyway. I assume people who want to play 'Stellaris but Trek' are just playing those.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Future Video GamesUK posted:

It just seems really weird when there are at least two full-featured Trek mods for Stellaris anyway. I assume people who want to play 'Stellaris but Trek' are just playing those.

i never messed with it but i read about one of those and you could even play as mirror universe Feds and stuff like that. you could play as Pakleds. i don't know why they ever wanted to try and compete with the kind of crazy people who would make a mod with so much content and all for free.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

V for Vegas posted:

Should have spent the Star Trek licence fees on the Battletech licence instead for HBS.

make a batteltech game thats like crusaders kings in space.

Please paradox

I will give all money

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

uber_stoat posted:

i never messed with it but i read about one of those and you could even play as mirror universe Feds and stuff like that. you could play as Pakleds. i don't know why they ever wanted to try and compete with the kind of crazy people who would make a mod with so much content and all for free.

pdox on a spree of releasing flops for tax writeoffs this quarter it seems

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

I think they were looking to do this but Microsoft was asking for more than usual and cutting into margins even more.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Future Video GamesUK posted:

That just means they're basically leaving money on the table! Gotta do an official version and grab that cash! What do you mean our product sucks?

PDX been on the downslide ever since it went public.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

I have bad news for you about HBS :(

They pitched Battletech 2 to Paradox who was wholly uninterested because they don't own the Battletech IP, then 80% of HBS' staff got laid off, and now Lamplighter's League bombed so hard they might not get to make another game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm not really into 40k but I even I think that having a good 40k 4X game would've been nice.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have bad news for you about HBS :(

They pitched Battletech 2 to Paradox who was wholly uninterested because they don't own the Battletech IP, then 80% of HBS' staff got laid off, and now Lamplighter's League bombed so hard they might not get to make another game.

Wait, did it? I didn't know it was that bad. That's a shame, it seemed interesting from the previews.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
What's wrong with Lamplighter's League?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Orange Devil posted:

It runs like absolute poo poo and the gameplay is allegedly tedious and doesn't make up for it at all.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Orange Devil posted:

It's a very mediocre game releasing after some of the biggest releases this year. Couple that with a very limited ad spend and you end up with PDX turning the entire thing into a tax write-off.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Note that most everywhere not this thread seems to think Lamplighter's League is fine so make of that what you will.

It didn't sell well though, which isn't very surprising.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I do think it's at least fine, but merely fine + niche in various ways + limited marketing spend + high price point + releasing shortly after BG3 and Starfield and and and = good loving luck getting anyone to buy it week 1

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Also why would people buy it for $50 when it's on gamepass?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
paradox is in entering their Villain Publisher era is all. in a few years we're going to start blaming them for vampire the masquerade turning out like it inevitably will.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
realtalk though paradox has always been bad it just also catered to a specific kind of map-poisoned politicscel that was willing to overlooks its flaws. same thing as creative assembly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Hey now! Paradox also made Stellaris, which is very good and it's development has been very well managed, unlike the Warhammer Total War series for example.

I don't know anything about other Paradox titles though.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Stellaris (…) it's development has been very well managed

What in tarnation

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Lamplighter's League was either going to make some numbers and get turned into a printer for 20USD DLCs that fix a basic design mistake in order to slot in another or just die on landing, because that's what Paradox does now and has for at least 10 years.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mokotow posted:

What in tarnation

Okay, the game has at least been getting steadily better and better with the Custodian team constantly reworking all the less-than-good mechanics, instead of whatever the gently caress going on at CA.

Hell, Stellaris even has a competent AI now to the point where they had to lower the default difficulty.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I don't think it's right to blame Paradox for this one. Battletech was slow and boring; it's no great surprise that Harebrained Schemes' new game is also slow and boring. Battletech just had enough going for it that people were willing to put up with its languid pace and lack of interesting tactical decisions.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Hey now! Paradox also made Stellaris, which is very good and it's development has been very well managed, unlike the Warhammer Total War series for example.

I don't know anything about other Paradox titles though.

i haven't played stellaris in like 5 years so maybe it got good at some point but when i played in teh first few years of release it was shallow, had no real midgame content, multiple useless or easily gameable systems, and an extremely boring, grindy endgame. this is enough for politicscels whose entire joy in these games is roleplaying as a communist or fascist space america, but i hoped for more than that.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Okay, the game has at least been getting steadily better and better with the Custodian team constantly reworking all the less-than-good mechanics, instead of whatever the gently caress going on at CA.

Hell, Stellaris even has a competent AI now to the point where they had to lower the default difficulty.

Makes sense! Amazing how different the game was in its first year. Wasn’t it this forum’s very own Wiz! involved in either loving it up or fixing it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Impermanent posted:

i haven't played stellaris in like 5 years so maybe it got good at some point but when i played in teh first few years of release it was shallow, had no real midgame content, multiple useless or easily gameable systems, and an extremely boring, grindy endgame.

Stellaris got completely reworked twice already since then. Both the mid- and late-game have been expanded with an array of interesting mechanics.

I'm not gonna pretend that it doesn't have some issues here and there but it's in a really good place right now, primarily thanks to half of it's team being dedicated specifically to improving the game.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Are you allowed to experience any of the interesting mechanics without buying 10,000 DLCs

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Stellaris has a massive original sin problem where the original designer had Fun Ideas but had zero idea ahead of time how to convert those ideas into good gameplay. About the only thing in the original Stellaris that genuinely worked were the exploration events, which ultimately weren't really gameplay *either* but at least they were fun and interesting.

Wiz was appointed to clean things up, and took a chainsaw to a lot of the parts of the game. Removing 2/3 of the FTL systems massively pissed off a lot of people, but it ultimately left the game in a better place. Still, some parts of the game were essentially unfixable and remain so to this day - like the combat system, which is in a weird place of being simulated but not simulated enough to be interesting, while also being too simulated to play around with abstract mechanics.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Are you allowed to experience any of the interesting mechanics without buying 10,000 DLCs

I'm gonna be honest, I don't really know.
I've been playing at least one campaign every single patch since release, so getting the DLC was a no-brainer for me, but I think that you still get access to all of the important mechanics, just not as many variations/customizations.

Paradox not retroactively lowering the prices on the DLC (or rolling the old DLC into the base game or something) is indefensible and makes it really hard for new players to get into the games.

At least they have been retroactively adding more content to the more lackluster DLC and if you have a friend that has all the DLC already then you don't need to buy it.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
You still can't finish a game before the heat death of the universe unless you choose a very small map.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Stellaris has been better managed than other Paradox games in terms of DLC requirements. About 2/3 of the DLC are either 'Story' or 'Species' packs and are focused on being content expansions. The remaining 1/3 are mechanics DLC, but usually a good % of each mechanic DLC ends up implemented into the base game because other DLC needs to interact with it. For example, the Federations DLC doesn't actually require the DLC in order to form Federations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

RandomBlue posted:

You still can't finish a game before the heat death of the universe unless you choose a very small map.

They did several optimization passes in the last year.

I often play multi-player games with a friend of mine and we usually knock a game out in 12 hours or so on a Medium map.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Paradox is in a weird place where they actually haven't made many good games versus how their reputation makes them out. They've certainly made interesting ones, but one could argue that the only truly great games they've ever released are CKII and HOI4, with EU4 and Stellaris in a tier just below that (depending on how much credit you give for later development fixing early fuckups). Anyone who argues that their earlier games were great has a bad case of nostalgia, they were riddled with significant bugs and even worse UI jank than today. As a publisher their track record might actually be worse than as a developer, the lineup is hard-carried by Cities: Skylines followed by some fun-yet-flawed entries including Magicka, Age of Wonders, Mount and Blade (who knew?), Majesty, and Surviving Mars. If you ever actually check their wiki page there are tons of instantly forgettable and/or outright rancid entries (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Paradox_Interactive_games).

That said, I don't see Paradox as a villain per se. They're a midsize publisher that focuses on the less popular genres, so they've needed to make some questionable decisions just to survive. Frankly it's stunning that they've managed to make it at all. They're no EA or Sega, but they're also not your friendly indie dev who'll answer direct emails with a new patch addressing things either. Overall, I think it's a good thing they exist. Someone's gotta forge a path in the middle between the big evil giants and the downtrodden indies, and we could have done worse than the Paradox model.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Impermanent posted:

realtalk though paradox has always been bad it just also catered to a specific kind of map-poisoned politicscel that was willing to overlooks its flaws. same thing as creative assembly.

paradox the developer yeah but paradox was only the publisher on lamplighters league and they've published some pretty good stuff

e: and yeah, stellaris is still bad, it's just reached the point where you only hear from the people who kept on playing it

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

lol

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

shocking revelations that people who like certain games continue to play and discuss those games, in this thread

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Psycho Landlord posted:

shocking revelations that people who like certain games continue to play and discuss those games, in this thread

sorry I meant to edit out "THIS IS SHOCKING:" from the start of my post

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just learned that Endless Space 2 is currently beta testing a patch that overhauls the absolutely game ruining DLC from 4 years ago.

Good on them. I really like ES2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Jack Trades posted:

I just learned that Endless Space 2 is currently beta testing a patch that overhauls the absolutely game ruining DLC from 4 years ago.

Good on them. I really like ES2.

Yeah Amplitude contracted the main developer of the ESG balance mod on the workshop. Haven't played it personally but they seem to be pretty in touch with what the community wants which is cool.

Hopefully that means there will be continued support. Endless Games are rad.