Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Orange Carlisle posted:

cm punk getting himself fired from the sweetest gig possible for him then proving himself once again a hypocrite by crawling back to a company that fired him on his wedding day and drained his bank account with bullshit lawsuits only for them to say 'nah, we're good' is the funniest possible outcome in the saga so I'm thankful I got to see it happen

The dude didn't even need to travel like 12 weeks out of year because that's how often AEW is in Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Drakkel posted:

I've literally seen people say AEW needs general managers in one of the thousand "Here's this random twitter/reddit user's opinion on everything AEW needs to do to stop dying NOW" lists that gets posted daily.

Nothing could get me to stop watching AEW faster than having the show revolve around an on screen authority figure.

Aside from like 2 years in WWF it has sucked everywhere and the very concept is a stupid idea.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

I don’t think having a character who represents the office and makes decisions is the worst thing in the world, but the traditional “heel gm” character is definitely played out. Also who needs a gm when we got Tweetin Tony

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah heel GMs are boring. Just give me someone like Jack Tunney if you need an authority figure.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
My brain short circuited and for a minute I read Nick Aldus as Nick Gage. Now that is something I'd pay to see.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Sandman McMahon posted:

I don’t think having a character who represents the office and makes decisions is the worst thing in the world, but the traditional “heel gm” character is definitely played out. Also who needs a gm when we got Tweetin Tony

Every once in a while you need that person that comes out and is like "oh no, the match isn't going to end like this. We're restarting the match!" But you know... actually does it well, and not TK

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Astro7x posted:

Every once in a while you need that person that comes out and is like "oh no, the match isn't going to end like this. We're restarting the match!" But you know... actually does it well, and not TK

I like that in AEW this just happens via Tony relaying things to the commentators. That’s all we need - just tell me the decision was made, I don’t need an authority figure character.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Ganso Bomb posted:

I like that in AEW this just happens via Tony relaying things to the commentators. That’s all we need - just tell me the decision was made, I don’t need an authority figure character.

Until Tony takes a bump this will just never be as good

No, Tony, not that kind of bump

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The more they integrate Nick ALDIs into the show the safer the rest of wrestling becomes

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

lol autocorrect

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lmao

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Nick Aldis when Nick Lidls walks into the room

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Who gives a poo poo about aldis?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Majinfoose posted:

this is my answer to any complex discussion

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Oh my!

Cody and Smackdown GM Nick Aldis have ~history~

This is how they stretch the Cody/Roman story past WM40. Build Aldis as a stock GM character for a few months, Cody comes over to Smackdown around Rumble season to Confront Roman, then when Cody gets his big chance to win a title shot, Aldis takes him out to set up the ultimate 2.5 star WrestleMania match

Meanwhile The Rock officially bails on a Mania appearance a few weeks after Cody/Aldis kicks off and they panic book Roman/Brock as the main event again

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
Why do we need Nick Aldis as an authority figure on Smackdown though?

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS

Majinfoose posted:

nick aldis is a wrestler

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

fart blood posted:

Why do we need Nick Aldis as an authority figure on Smackdown though?

fart blood posted:

Why do we need an authority figure on Smackdown though?

fart blood posted:

Why do we need Smackdown though?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
He’s the hottest free agent in sports entertainment, the national treasure Nick aldis!!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Get rid of GM's but bring back Global Championship committees.

Like I want to see the full kayfaybe IWGP committee. I don't care if half of its made up of My Go members just show it on screen

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hes totally gonna get renamed to something like Quincy Featherbottom

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah heel GMs are boring. Just give me someone like Jack Tunney if you need an authority figure.

Aside from being played out, the last major heel authority figure completely botched it all up. The big aspect of the Austin vs Vince storyline was that the McMahon character often got his comeuppance, and was regularly physically punished for his misdeeds (e.g., the countless times Austin gave him a stunner, or Kane and Undertaker breaking his ankle late in 1998). When Austin overcame his shenanigans, it also felt like there were significant stakes involved as well.

That's where The Authority really hosed up. They never really got their comeuppance, they were never really punished for their behaviour and even when they lost, it was reinforced that it didn't matter at all. I remember one episode, I can't remember if it was Raw or Smackdown, where Stephanie ran into the top contenders from the women's division, and proceeded to verbally cut them down and walk off while they had nothing to say or do in response. Like, gently caress that. You've got a heel authority figure that never loses, and even when they lose, they pull some Uno reverse card poo poo so that their loss is stricken from the record, and the top faces are shown as ineffectual loser fuckface nerds. Why would I give a poo poo about these losers?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The Bloodline is just The Authority 2.0, prove me wrong

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

quote:

Fightful Select has learned the following plans for tonight's WWE Smackdown, which are subject to change

- John Cena promo

- Brawling Brutes vs. Pretty Deadly

- SPOILER SEGMENT 1

- Zelina vs. Bayley

- Triple H promo

- Dragon Lee highlights

- Cody Rhodes & Jey Uso open challenge

- SPOILER MAIN EVENT

BACKSTAGE NEWS

- Jade Cargill is at the site of tonight's WWE Smackdown

- Michin & Shotzi vs. Alba & Isla is scheduled for a pre-show dark match

- Rey Mysterio, Dragon Lee & Sami Zayn vs. Imperium is scheduled for a post-show dark match

SPOILERS

- As of today, the plan to reveal who Jey Uso was traded for was expected on this show. The plan throughout the week has been for it to be Kevin Owens, which will help further their storyline. Owens is set to be involved in the Triple H promo....as is Nick Aldis and Dominik

- Spoiler segment 1 is to be Lashley and Street Profits attacking Carlito

- Roman Reigns, LA Knight, Jimmy Uso all are scheduled to be in Cena's promo

- LA Knight vs. Solo SIkoa is the main event

- JADE CARGILL is set for a backstage segment with Aldis and Charlotte Flair (hmmm why am I getting a sudden urge to laugh)

- Theory and Waller are scheduled to accept the tag team open challenge

- The main event segment is planned for two segments

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Majinfoose posted:

ohh you did write it like that on purpose. that is a great joke which is why i tried to steal it basically. sorry.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

tim storm would be a better GM

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Trying posted:

tim storm would be a better GM

tread this path carefully, lest you accidentally invoke new raw authority figure the funkasaurus

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Instead of one GM, there should be a variety of shadowy cabal archetypes making GM decisions.

Archetypes such as:

- Creepy robed cult that couches all GM decisions in terms of prophecy.
- Numbered obelisks that glow when the member is speaking.
- A figure or figures at a desk, cloaked in shadow, who only appears on the jumbotron
- A menacing Man In Black type who takes one of the announcers headsets without preamble to make pronouncements then departs.
- A never-seen entity that communicates only through dead drops found during pre-tapes.
- A person in a toga and olive wreath in the Good Seats who smugly gives a thumbs up or thumbs down when asked for guidance.
- A numbers station that broadcasts over the PA.

For best effect, who is making the decision should be shuffled each week, or maybe even each episode with no comment on the changes, just the same sense of unease

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Cthulu Carl posted:

Instead of one GM, there should be a variety of shadowy cabal archetypes making GM decisions.

Archetypes such as:

- Creepy robed cult that couches all GM decisions in terms of prophecy.
- Numbered obelisks that glow when the member is speaking.
- A figure or figures at a desk, cloaked in shadow, who only appears on the jumbotron
- A menacing Man In Black type who takes one of the announcers headsets without preamble to make pronouncements then departs.
- A never-seen entity that communicates only through dead drops found during pre-tapes.
- A person in a toga and olive wreath in the Good Seats who smugly gives a thumbs up or thumbs down when asked for guidance.
- A numbers station that broadcasts over the PA.

For best effect, who is making the decision should be shuffled each week, or maybe even each episode with no comment on the changes, just the same sense of unease

bray wyatt from afterlife

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://x.com/WWE/status/1712985987385606155?s=20

https://x.com/WWE/status/1712999763862233586?s=20

https://x.com/WWE/status/1713002010608280051?s=20

https://x.com/WWE/status/1713007190993207318?s=20

https://x.com/WWE/status/1713012060970262675?s=20

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Congratulations to Kevin Owens on his upcoming loss to Roman Reigns at the Royal Rumble.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
I regret engaging with the wwe

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

1glitch0 posted:

Nothing could get me to stop watching AEW faster than having the show revolve around an on screen authority figure.

Aside from like 2 years in WWF it has sucked everywhere and the very concept is a stupid idea.

Someone has never watched Lucha Underground, I see.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Testekill posted:

Congratulations to Kevin Owens on his upcoming loss to Roman Reigns at the Royal Rumble.

gotta complete the trifecta

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT

mooseinfants posted:

I regret engaging with the wwe

Everybody should

MediaPlayerClassic
Aug 24, 2012

Testekill posted:

And people say the bloodline story isn't going anywhere

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

edogawa rando posted:

Aside from being played out, the last major heel authority figure completely botched it all up. The big aspect of the Austin vs Vince storyline was that the McMahon character often got his comeuppance, and was regularly physically punished for his misdeeds (e.g., the countless times Austin gave him a stunner, or Kane and Undertaker breaking his ankle late in 1998). When Austin overcame his shenanigans, it also felt like there were significant stakes involved as well.

That's where The Authority really hosed up. They never really got their comeuppance, they were never really punished for their behaviour and even when they lost, it was reinforced that it didn't matter at all. I remember one episode, I can't remember if it was Raw or Smackdown, where Stephanie ran into the top contenders from the women's division, and proceeded to verbally cut them down and walk off while they had nothing to say or do in response. Like, gently caress that. You've got a heel authority figure that never loses, and even when they lose, they pull some Uno reverse card poo poo so that their loss is stricken from the record, and the top faces are shown as ineffectual loser fuckface nerds. Why would I give a poo poo about these losers?

Because in the time between Austin and The Authority Vince no longer cared to see good triumph over evil and didn't care if the fans did.
And HHH and Stef sure weren't about to try to change his mind.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

DID THAT REALLY JUST HAPPEN??? 👀🔥

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Testekill posted:

This is a yearly tradition, apparently