Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I think you can pencil in a circle around that Bears-Panthers game that the loser of that game might be in real trouble.

I think the Commanders will at least have a decent record until very late in the season. Staley getting fired feels pretty inevitable, but I doubt it's a mid-season thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

AndrewP posted:

I’d hire Steve for DC if he’s looking for a job when dad retires.

I think it depends on what he would want to do. If he's trying to run his defense like his dad without him as GM willing to spend picks on some oddball rear end players I think it's a lot more dubious. "Yeah I could really use this 260 pound run-down only edge with the athletic profile of a 3-technique, we want to convert him to an ILB" probably something a lot of GMs aren't going to be comfortable with.

IMO I think the Brian Flores model is a lot more doable, just get normal guys and use the cool blitz package a bunch.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

this picture is the living embodiment of 'large adult son(s)'

this has almost nothing to do with that but i screengrabbed this because arthur smith is a weird lookin dude

if you squint hes kinda like a bizarro world a-a-ron

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Play posted:

this picture is the living embodiment of 'large adult son(s)'

this has almost nothing to do with that but i screengrabbed this because arthur smith is a weird lookin dude

if you squint hes kinda like a bizarro world a-a-ron

This man is the son of the billionaire founder of FedEx :lol:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
So that's why his offense is never on schedule

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

CapnAndy posted:

Canada, maybe? Depending on if the Steelers keep fluking into meaningless wins?

I was specifically referring to head coaches. Firing coordinators midseason is a standard last-ditch move for a coach on the hot seat to buy themselves time to turn the team around. Canada and Del Rio are definitely on the block.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Docjowles posted:

Man I had forgotten the Broncos had to give up a 1st and a 2nd to land Payton. Jesus. That makes any talk of firing him this year or even over the next few years even more improbable.

The status on Payton will remain the same all year. He's not going to get fired and he isn't a factor for the purpose of this thread, but that his team are total dog poo poo is extremely funny and he deserves to be dragged for it at every single opportunity to do so.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Just a reminder that at this point last season Hackett had twice as many wins as Payton does now.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm feeling pretty good about my "the difference between Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy is better PR" take from the previous thread these days

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
eh I still think Peyton's a good coach, he's walking into an absolutely bare cupboard and a significantly worse defensive unit from last year but its good for him to get humbled a bit here

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Relentlessboredomm posted:

eh I still think Peyton's a good coach, he's walking into an absolutely bare cupboard and a significantly worse defensive unit from last year but its good for him to get humbled a bit here

He spent $250m in the offseason on free agents. The cupboard wasn't entirely bare.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Diva Cupcake posted:

He spent $250m in the offseason on free agents. The cupboard wasn't entirely bare.

80% of that was basically just signing a tackle, guard and DL to replace the tackle, guard and DL they lost in FA.

I think Payton taking that job was idiotic and arrogant but the roster is objectively bad and it’s bad in a way that a single offseason of spending couldn’t possible fix.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 13, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like that the more desperate the Broncos get, the worse they become. Oh, we haven't had a good QB since Peyton, let's trade for Russ and give him a ridiculous contract. Oh, our coach was a loving embarrassment, let's trade for a proven Super Bowl winning coach.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

80% of that was basically just signing a tackle, guard and DL to replace the tackle, guard and DL they lost in FA.

I think Payton taking that job was idiotic and arrogant but the roster is objectively bad and it’s bad in a way that a single offseason of spending couldn’t possible fix.

I think it’s funny he has brought in like 10 of his old Saints buddies to play. And also the guys he actively sought out like Perine and Mims are being pushed to the back burner

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I mean, taking the job for the shitload of money is fine.

Promptly issuing public call-outs of the guy you replaced, now that's the idiotic arrogance that blessed us with some fall schadenfreude.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The funny thing is, Payton was not wrong, Hackett was loving rear end and a garbage HC. But Nathaniel loving Hackett has garnered more respect from the Jets players than Payton has from the Broncos players. The Jets were all "Let's win this for Hackett" while nobody gives a gently caress on the Broncos. It's loving amazing to experience.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Mega64 posted:

The funny thing is, Payton was not wrong, Hackett was loving rear end and a garbage HC. But Nathaniel loving Hackett has garnered more respect from the Jets players than Payton has from the Broncos players. The Jets were all "Let's win this for Hackett" while nobody gives a gently caress on the Broncos. It's loving amazing to experience.

Yeah for sure "Hackett was an all time bad head coach" is a correct and inarguable take. But you absolutely CANNOT say that and then lose to him and his notoriously awful backup QB without looking like a complete clown

It's like top college programs losing their entire season to a tuneup game vs an FCS cupcake, peak football comedy

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 13, 2023

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Mega64 posted:

I like that the more desperate the Broncos get, the worse they become. Oh, we haven't had a good QB since Peyton, let's trade for Russ and give him a ridiculous contract. Oh, our coach was a loving embarrassment, let's trade for a proven Super Bowl winning coach.

Next off season, it'll be all Oh, we have no draft picks. That's ok, Sean Payton can teach us all about mortgaging our cap for the next 20 years to fill out next year's roster. The year after that, they'll be all Oh we have no cap. But we'll able to use some of the draft picks we finally have to offload some of the bad contracts we signed the year before. After that, they'll finally be able to unload Russ and can maybe start the cycle anew.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'd be SHOCKED if Russ is the starting QB of the Denver Broncos in week 1 of 2024

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also we haven't had a proper OP update yet, hoping we get one after this week's games. Should be fun to see where OP stands on certain coaches compared to other media outlets.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

a neat cape posted:

I'd be SHOCKED if Russ is the starting QB of the Denver Broncos in week 1 of 2024

That contract's a spicy meatball.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

He may or may not be starting but it's cap suicide to cut him next year and I think the broncos are already projected over the cap for 2024

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Timby posted:

He’s going to be on the team but that doesn’t mean he’s going to be starting. They’re bad enough to be in the hunt for Williams or Maye.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Timby posted:

He might not be cut, but a rookie is gonna be starting whether Russ is on the roster or not.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He’s going to be on the team but that doesn’t mean he’s going to be starting. They’re bad enough to be in the hunt for Williams or Maye.

I don't think he'll be on the team. His $37m 2025 salary becomes guaranteed if he is.

If Russ stinks enough to be benched, he's getting cut and the Broncos are just going to take a brutal dead cap hit next year.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Kalli posted:

I don't think he'll be on the team. His $37m 2025 salary becomes guaranteed if he is.

If Russ stinks enough to be benched, he's getting cut and the Broncos are just going to take a brutal dead cap hit next year.

There's also this.

The Broncos are going to get hurt badly because of that deal one way or the other, there's no avoiding it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Their GM should be fired for that Russ contract alone, their garbage drafting is just a bonus.

At least Elway could draft defense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Kalli posted:

It’s a Sean Payton team now, they’ll just renegotiate his contract to lower the 2025 cap hit in exchange for paying him 10 million a year until 2035.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Timby posted:

Looks like the Broncos did something dangerous

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Just thinking back to the halcyon days of 2022 and those Wilson Subway commercials. Truly those were amazing times.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s a Sean Payton team now, they’ll just renegotiate his contract to lower the 2025 cap hit in exchange for paying him 10 million a year until 2035.

Denver can start celebrating a lovely Bobby Bonilla Day! He’ll high knee into fans’ hearts yet!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mega64 posted:

Also we haven't had a proper OP update yet, hoping we get one after this week's games. Should be fun to see where OP stands on certain coaches compared to other media outlets.

I was planning to do one this week but came down with the sickness. Next week for sure!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It owns how the Rams traded for Stafford, immediately won a championship, and then all these other teams tried trading for their own franchise QB and ate poo poo.

Copycatting doesn't work!!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Apparently according to OTC, if the Broncos designate Russ as a post-June 1 cut in 2024, he "just" has a $35,400,000 dead cap hit in 2024 and then would have a pretty hefty hit the next year too of course but it would make it less suicidal to do it. Once they cut Tim Patrick and either extend or re-negotiate like two other guys they'll be under the cap and we can enjoy watching Jarrett Stidham earn his 7m contract.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

SKULL.GIF posted:

It owns how the Rams traded for Stafford, immediately won a championship, and then all these other teams tried trading for their own franchise QB and ate poo poo.

Not like that’s a new thing and it worked out for Tampa quite well recently as well. In a weird way Denver too, even if P Manning was dead for their actual super bowl winning season, don’t think that could’ve worked with like Kyle Orton manning the helm

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Pontius Pilate posted:

Not like that’s a new thing and it worked out for Tampa quite well recently as well. In a weird way Denver too, even if P Manning was dead for their actual super bowl winning season, don’t think that could’ve worked with like Kyle Orton manning the helm

Those weren't trades

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Pretty sure the Bucs pulled that off first and the Rams are the copycats.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

a neat cape posted:

Those weren't trades

Fair, and maybe (probably) the bucs wouldn’t have done as well without their first round pick protecting Old Man Brady, but there was still plenty of successful evidence for pursuing older ~franchise quarterbacks~

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Hamhandler posted:

I think it depends on what he would want to do. If he's trying to run his defense like his dad without him as GM willing to spend picks on some oddball rear end players I think it's a lot more dubious. "Yeah I could really use this 260 pound run-down only edge with the athletic profile of a 3-technique, we want to convert him to an ILB" probably something a lot of GMs aren't going to be comfortable with.

IMO I think the Brian Flores model is a lot more doable, just get normal guys and use the cool blitz package a bunch.

i feel like the defensive side of the ball has been the one part of the pats that hasn't been a fuckin trainwreck and the degree to which steve can replicate that without his dad or his personnel will be interesting to watch

i also don't feel like he has that same fascination with being clever that his dad does (or at least the roots of the pats roster construction and playcalling are bill and not steve) and would be happy building a defense full of just good, modern players, but who knows until he's actually out there on his own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah I have had it with Bill the god-king of Foxboro but I don’t think he has lost his cleverness as you said on the defensive side. A couple weeks ago I distinctly remember Romo covering the Pats saying “I have done nothing but play and watch football for 40 years and I have never seen that coverage scheme, that was insanely good”. If you were playing a video game without feelings and ego and prestige you would make him defensive coordinator of a contender and I have no doubt they’d have an elite D. Basically the Vic Fangio move. But I can’t see that happening in real life.