Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

thanks clive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Beardcrumb posted:

Just did my early vote with Mrs Beardcrumb, and the No volunteer was being a complete fuckwit and literally standing in the middle of the footpath not letting people pass until they had taken one of his how to vote pamphlets. I was about to say something cool and cunty to him and then much to my surprise my wife jumped in, took a pamphlet calmly, ripped it up into a dozen pieces while looking him dead in the eye and then said loving MOVE RIGHT NOW in her scary as gently caress pregnant woman protecting a baby voice.

Classic Frankston :kiss:

mrs bearcrumb is a legend

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/chaser/status/1712747237665898510

they are going to get in trouble for this one

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
Seems to be gone already

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
knew i should have saved it, it was an image with fake quotes about the voice, one being attributed to pauline hanson and her image was someone in a kkk robe in front of parliament house

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Animal Friend posted:

mrs bearcrumb is a legend

Of course she is. She's from Frankston!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Laserface posted:

no, what is it? can you write maybe 60-80min of reading time about it?

There are thousands of minutes worth of reporting about it, from the Atlantic to Rolling Stone to NYT to multiple podcast series, and they all treat it as this baffling organic phenomenon that just happened to accidentally have this devastating political impact. It is a catastrophic miscalculation of the nature of the threat and the danger it poses. And none of it even comes close to telling you who was behind it or what it was.

It was not a prank. It was, and is, a propaganda operation. A deliberate attack. With devastating consequences. That's the point. It’s not just about winning one election, it is an onslaught on all levels, but especially the internet, which is changing the very fabric of our culture, and undermining the foundations of our mutual understandings of truth and reality. It is leading directly to worse outcomes for the environment, for workers, for trans people, queer people, asylum seekers, indigenous people, etc. It is a war on progressivism, and this machine is providing endless fuel for the fire. Every loving day. More content is being churned out, either directly, or through the people it's already infected with the virus. And it is still not being perceived or covered as such. This is not a joke, or an abstract academic exercise, this is serious mum. There have always been bad guys, and now they have all these unprecedentedly powerful new tools to convince people to sign on to their agenda.

I’ve been doing my best to sound the alarm. I’m an idiot, so it isn’t much. But I figured out who’s behind it, and laid it all out as clear as can be, and offered it to everyone I can.

And literally all I get is “haw haw, that’s 1-2 hours’ worth of reading!”, and/or “sounds like a conspiracy bro! U crazy kook”. We're hosed.

Here’s a 20 minute one. It was the first one I wrote, when I noticed that “Save the Children” and Qanon and Covid conspiracies and all this other poo poo were not just quirky coincidences, they were coming from the same factory, and making dangerous inroads into our communities. Three years later it holds up perfectly well. Cos it was right from the start and thats only become more obvious.

I'm loving tired. I took some feedback on board and tidied up the big one by taking all the [totally not] random bolding out, and think it does look way better. I'm halfway through recording a read out. Then I'll have to try one more shot with the journalists / influencers / subreddit, then who the gently caress knows. Anyway sorry to vent.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
bucky watch scary of sixty-first!!!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Bucky what words do i need to write on my vote, i can't be bothered reading all your words.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
i think by nature its a very hard subject to compartmentalize so i appreciate both the effort and the sentiment to be exhaustive. im not really a constructive criticism guy so i dont have a lot of good practical things you could do to make it more accessible. behind the bastards covers a lot of the same stuff but across about four or five different sets of episodes, totalling about 14 or so episodes of an hour long podcast so i think ultimately if your aim is to produce an exhaustive explanation you either have to commit to actually writing a book or section it off into chunks that work discretely but also contribute to the overarching narrative, which is basically the same as writing a book but without getting it published. if i thought it was an easy thing to do i would
offer to help brainstorm, edit and arrange it and suggest ideas things that could be expounded on but its not and im not an editor or even a good writer.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

behind the bastards covers a lot of the same stuff but across about four or five different sets of episodes

On just one guy too. That show was a major source, and if you're looking for easter eggs there'd be at least a dozen episodes linked throughout the article. Cos that's the other thing, yes it's long as it is, but it'll mention one name like "Paul Manafort", and instead of going in to his whole story, it'll link to his 3-part BTB series. So in reality it's hundreds of hours. It's like a Symphony of Bastards. If I can get Robert to have a look and sign off on it then it'll be basically job done.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Voted, zero queue, only two tables of people handing out pamphlets, was about as perfect as voting could be.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
No queue for us as well, though my 3 year old did say "This is the longest queue ever!" so apparently still too long.

Feeling pretty miserable; the idea that you could vote against something like this in 2023 is just one of those moments where you realise how little you have in common with the people you share the country with.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
Longer queue than expected.

Was about to declare no cookers but too near the door there is one of the rats looking very much out of place in the Inner West of Sydney.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Finished my shift handing out yes pamphlets. The no lady was nice but also clearly has been fed some bullshit because she thought all the yes people were getting paid and was very surprised when we said we weren't.

Had one cooker take a pamphlet and rip it up in front of me lol, but also had a guy say he was undecided and asked for a 1 minute pitch from each of us, and he said he was convinced by me, so not all hope lost. A weird morning.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Only one cooker where I went, he was out on the street away from the 3 yes people.

Maybe he's not allowed on the grounds of primary schools?

When tmf and I walked past him he was saying to some people that his area coordinator sent him to the wrong address.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Minimal queue, democracy sausage present, a horde of Yes pamphlet people and zero Nos, and zero chance the booth will vote yes much less the nation.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Voted Yes and got my democracy sausage. Only Yes campaigners were there, and the sausage people were playing You're The Voice quite loudly, but I do live in the dirty leftist Canberra bubble.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer
Heh, I was voting at Calwell Primary.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
Mentone (Bayside Melb) also only had yes peeps out the front. No queue. Asked how they felt and they said that it had mainly been positive. Have a friend who has been rigourously campaigning the yes vote up in Sth Melbourne and St. Kilda. She's volunteering at one of the polling places up that way today but has had some uh... 'interesting' responses during the lead up (was even pushed down some stairs by one pillock).
I think that area should be counted as a lock for Yes though. Not so sure about down here.... but maybe..?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Uneventful vote, short line, no one acting out. Resigned to a no victory, a double majority is too high a bar to clear with this much insanity.

The most earnest no campaigners I've encountered are all arguing from a stunningly incorrect understanding of the law.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
So seems like everyone's voted, waiting boring, can we just close the polls and start counting now?

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback
inner west melb trip report - not a single no pamphlet cooker which was great, but no democracy snags :(
in & out in 30 mins

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
It really doesn't feel like No is going to win if you have a look at the ground game today.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Way more No posters and banners at my polling place, and they can themselves underdogs.

Voted yes, got a sausage, it's my nephew's birthday tonight so thankfully not watching any counting.

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal
watch out for the cookers everybody

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Anidav posted:

It really doesn't feel like No is going to win if you have a look at the ground game today.

I would be absolutely shocked if no doesn't win. Extatic, don't get me wrong, but still shocked. You've done what you could by participating, no sense giving yourself unrealistic expectations though.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
drove past a school and saw a literal child handing out pamphlets, is that legal?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The No people just seem so mean and grumpy.

It was two dudes in turbans when I went on Thursday.

Breakfast Burrito
Aug 8, 2007

Bucky Fullminster posted:

The no lady at my booth was really prepared for us to be super hostile to her, she looked like she was gonna fall over when my friend doing the yes booth captain thing went for a coffee run and asked what she wanted

It kind of sucks because we avoided the topic for obvious reasons (waste of time trying to convince anyone who is handing out flyers really) but she just really clearly was a regular kind person who has been fed and believes some absolute bullshit - her pitch was based on some pretty basic misinfo about the voice and the law

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
the no dude at my booth was super friendly and polite. there were also a couple of dudes with 'liberals for yes' shirts

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Voted at local primary school first thing. Didn't see anyone handing out for no, but there were a lot of posters up, including some saying to vote no to save Australia Day so that's fun.

Still prepared for no landslide. :(

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Mix of yes and no but far more yes material and posters, also south eastern suburbs of Melbourne. It's going to be a rough commentary night. It just reminds me of being a kid when John Howard won and all us kids on the train were just devastated, "how could they do this". I'll be slightly relieved if VIC says yes, one small mercy that your community is on the same side

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

G-Spot Run posted:

Mix of yes and no but far more yes material and posters, also south eastern suburbs of Melbourne. It's going to be a rough commentary night. It just reminds me of being a kid when John Howard won and all us kids on the train were just devastated, "how could they do this". I'll be slightly relieved if VIC says yes, one small mercy that your community is on the same side

#Newspoll exit poll finds no leading 54-41 in New South Wales, 51-43 in Victoria, 65-30 in Queensland, 65-28 in Western Australia, 60-33 in South Australia and 55-38 in Tasmania.

#Financial Review exit poll has no at 52% and yes at 39%, converting to 57-43 after exclusion of the undecided.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Way more No posters and banners at my polling place, and they can themselves underdogs.

Voted yes, got a sausage, it's my nephew's birthday tonight so thankfully not watching any counting.
Not even of the candles on his cake??

You are an objectively bad uncle.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Sikhs?

My dad says that even The Indian Voice (bullshit rag they hand out in indian grocery stores)has officially come out in favour of YES

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

quote:

‘We don’t have a voice for Caucasians,’ says no vote volunteer

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Northern Melbourne suburb - 6 people handing out cards like it's an election for some reason\. "If you don't know vote no" and "Yes". Just "Yes".

Just had to wait for an old guy to pack his stuff up at the table, I don't know why he had a bag and equipment to vote.

No democracy sausage, they were doing it at the local Bunnings instead.

Is the last vote Antonty Green is doing?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Nah one more cycle, so fed 25 potentially/likely his last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

hambeet posted:

#Newspoll exit poll finds no leading 54-41 in New South Wales, 51-43 in Victoria, 65-30 in Queensland, 65-28 in Western Australia, 60-33 in South Australia and 55-38 in Tasmania.

#Financial Review exit poll has no at 52% and yes at 39%, converting to 57-43 after exclusion of the undecided.

how does an exit poll have undecideds

also drat this might be a clean sweep for no. i thought tasmania at least would go yes.