Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Just some anecdotal evidence from talking to friends in Israel, and looking at Facebook (only social network I'm on, I'm old) and some news sites.

This is some super 9/11 vibes. Everyone is super patriotic and militaristic in a way I haven't seen even in the militaristic Israel and absolutely raging. Some people I've talked to who are nominally left-wing were all for a massive attack and didn't seem to care about any casualties (on either side) with one person even going as far as saying we should just kill them all (or drive them away). People who have always been against this sort of stuff, quite jarring.

There's massive backlash against pro-Palestine protests etc in universities, which was always a thing but never this vehemently and with such wide support.

The few people I talked to who did not seem to lose their poo poo were resigned that this train ain't stopping for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

B B posted:

I sincerely hope that posting some shocking factual claims from an established journalist doesn't get me a 24-hour probe, but we now have some additional confirmation about the story I posted earlier regarding the IDF slaughtering 70 civilians in a convoy that was following Israel's evacuation orders:

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1712911792106602608

mods probate this man they posted a link from x, formerly known as twitter

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The videos of the bombings have entire blocks getting leveled. Israels fury will leave Gaza a wasteland

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Taeke posted:

Yo this probe is bullshit, the source is right there.

Whether or not that source is reliable might be another discussion but you can't just probe for vague reasons without clarification on what is and isn't a source.

Eta: if you're gonna probe people for sharing posts by journalists you have to make it very, very clear on what your standards are because otherwise any discussion is basically impossible, given how fluid the situation is and how unreliable even official accounts of loving world leaders and organisations have proven to be.

The primary source the person was claiming was the health ministry, and it wasn't linked, while the person's credibility also was not established. This puts onus on others to verify the information and is thereby going against the thread's first guideline, which is that one should provide proof of their claims themselves rather than putting this burden on others. It would not have been difficult to wait a bit for confirmation, as there have been reports by NBC News and Time within a few hours of that tweet being posted (ex: https://time.com/6323482/israel-white-phosphorus-gaza-lebanon/ ).

For further commentary or questions about this policy, please PM me.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

kiminewt posted:

Just some anecdotal evidence from talking to friends in Israel, and looking at Facebook (only social network I'm on, I'm old) and some news sites.

This is some super 9/11 vibes. Everyone is super patriotic and militaristic in a way I haven't seen even in the militaristic Israel and absolutely raging. Some people I've talked to who are nominally left-wing were all for a massive attack and didn't seem to care about any casualties (on either side) with one person even going as far as saying we should just kill them all (or drive them away). People who have always been against this sort of stuff, quite jarring.

There's massive backlash against pro-Palestine protests etc in universities, which was always a thing but never this vehemently and with such wide support.

The few people I talked to who did not seem to lose their poo poo were resigned that this train ain't stopping for anything.

I'm affiliated with an Orthodox synagogue, which is kinda ambiently zionist-by-default but never deliberately political, and it's extremely post-9/11 in the most disturbing way. It's part of why I've been so active here, looking for sanity and settling for a different insanity.

Obviously there are tens or thousands of families that will never recover from these losses, but there's also so many cultures which will be more suspicious, more violent, and more militant for years and years. Nauseatingly scary and saddening.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

mannerup fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 5, 2023

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
What's the point of using white phospherous against buildings?

The internet tells me this:

quote:

"What does white phosphorus do in war?
Its ability to ignite fast-spreading fires and create thick smoke over wide areas has made white phosphorus a substance of choice for militaries to create smokescreens. The smoke tends to last for seven minutes. It is often colourless, white or yellow, and has a garlic-like odour."

Which, if you've seen the types of bombs Israel is using in Gaza right now, seems pretty pointless since those bombs leave nothing left of the building anyway

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Zzulu posted:

Which, if you've seen the types of bombs Israel is using in Gaza right now, seems pretty pointless since those bombs leave nothing left of the building anyway

They ignite it causing incredibly horrific burns on the victims.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Koos Group posted:

The primary source the person was claiming was the health ministry, and it wasn't linked, while the person's credibility also was not established. This puts onus on others to verify the information and is thereby going against the thread's first guideline, which is that one should provide proof of their claims themselves rather than putting this burden on others. It would not have been difficult to wait a bit for confirmation, as there have been reports by NBC News and Time within a few hours of that tweet being posted (ex: https://time.com/6323482/israel-white-phosphorus-gaza-lebanon/ ).

News from anonymous OSInt warrior twitter accounts is posted here all the time with no secondary verification ever required, let alone slapping the poster with a 24 hour probation on sight

Sharif Abdel Kouddous is a well known, long-time journalist who I and I assume others on this forum recognize and trust as someone who wouldnt publish a false attribution to the health ministry. I think maybe there is another reason his tweet was assumed to be untrustworthy

e: I dont have plat for DMs dont ban me

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Zzulu posted:

The wikipedia entry on white phosphorus has a picture of what it does to a human body, appropriately enough a photo of a 14 year old Gazan kid from 2009, and that's essentially the only reason you'd drop it on an urban center you don't yet have troops in. To indiscriminately burn people. e: I mean it's really the only reason ever, but if you've got troops nearby you can vaguely gesture to its use as to create a smokescreen and the Serious War Understanders will nod their head and say "It's tragic but effective and so it's necessary."

TGLT fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 13, 2023

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Koos Group posted:

Who the gently caress is "YASMEEN SERHAN." I feel like you're putting the onus on me to research who the journalist is that you linked to. What you linked to is not a primary source for what is being claimed and has no proof in and of itself. Please do not put the burden on other posters.

Nah, this was good faith trolling, dipshit. You even admitted shortly after this probe that you were applying this dumb rule wrong. gently caress you.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Oct 15, 2023

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Koos Group posted:

While this thread was under "martial law," shocking factual claims have been posted based on claims made by random Western journalists with no clear trail or sourcing beyond the journalist's statement. Some of those turned out incorrect or grossly exaggerated.

Unless you've only just started implementing this policy, what you're actually saying is claims from Arabic journalists need to be verified by Western news outlets first.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Koos Group posted:

Bring back the media literacy thread

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

kiminewt posted:

it does make me wonder how this plays out within Israel

Likud is actually -losing- support so the far right party isn't benefiting politically from this. OTOH like the US post-9/11 it's possible the entire Israeli political spectrum just shifts over a few degrees to the right.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Some recent reporting on conditions on the ground. I believe the reporter is a member of the same crew that was hit by an Israeli strike earlier:

https://twitter.com/GebeilyM/status/1712843483214401808

https://twitter.com/GebeilyM/status/1712843916230177213

https://twitter.com/GebeilyM/status/1712844121302306923

https://twitter.com/GebeilyM/status/1712844560601124968

https://twitter.com/GebeilyM/status/1712845390163177568

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Zzulu posted:

White Phosphorus is used to force people from hardened positions by consuming all of the oxygen and releasing burning poison that turns your lungs into bacon while igniting against everything it touches with a fire that won't go out and also conveniently poisoning water

in Fallujah they used it to either force people from rubble. tunnels, bunkers and trenches so they could blow them up with conventional explosives or trap them inside and kill them with it

the point is to kill everyone. shelling and bombs don't always kill everyone, wp combined with it is pretty unsurvivable without being in a serious bunker or deep tunnel system cuz otherwise you'll just suffocate if nothing else kills you

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

Ham posted:

While this thread was under "martial law," shocking factual claims have been posted based on claims made by random Western journalists with no clear trail or sourcing beyond the journalist's statement. Some of those turned out incorrect or grossly exaggerated.

Unless you've only just started implementing this policy, what you're actually saying is claims from Arabic journalists need to be verified by Western news outlets first.

paul_soccer12 posted:

News from anonymous OSInt warrior twitter accounts is posted here all the time with no secondary verification ever required, let alone slapping the poster with a 24 hour probation on sight

Sharif Abdel Kouddous is a well known, long-time journalist who I and I assume others on this forum recognize and trust as someone who wouldnt publish a false attribution to the health ministry. I think maybe there is another reason his tweet was assumed to be untrustworthy

e: I dont have plat for DMs dont ban me

Anonymous/unreliable Twitter accounts which are not linking more reliable sources themselves should be reported, and I will act on them (and have, as far as I know).

I was not aware of this journalist's reputation, and neither was the person reporting it, but he does appear to have been a reliable source, so I will undo Darth Walrus' probation as the standards were not completely clear. I would still encourage anyone posting journalists who are lesser-known or unaffiliated to make a brief statement about their credibility, and will update the OP accordingly.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Koos Group posted:

Anonymous/unreliable Twitter accounts which are not linking more reliable sources themselves should be reported, and I will act on them (and have, as far as I know).

I was not aware of this journalist's reputation, and neither was the person reporting it, but he does appear to have been a reliable source, so I will undo Darth Walrus' probation as the standards were not completely clear. I would still encourage anyone posting journalists who are lesser-known or unaffiliated to make a brief statement about their credibility, and will update the OP accordingly.

Lesser known than what? He's been with Democracy Now!, the Intercept, and other well-known outlets for decades, cumulatively. As this poster pointed out:

mannerup posted:

as an aside, just want to provide context that he was recently awarded a 2022 Polk award in the Foreign Television category for his documentary work at Al Jazeera

Did you look him up at all before deciding he doesn't meet your standard?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Koos Group posted:

It would help if you added a list of sources we can trust implicitly to the OP, so the onus isn’t on everyone else to decide if the source they’re posting needs their reputation established or if it can just be taken as read.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

paul_soccer12 posted:

Lesser known than what? He's been with Democracy Now!, the Intercept, and other well-known outlets for decades, cumulatively. As this poster pointed out:

Did you look him up at all before deciding he doesn't meet your standard?

No, I skipped that due to the number of reports I was handling, though I will attempt to do that in the future.

Gripweed posted:

It would help if you added a list of sources we can trust implicitly to the OP, so the onus isn’t on everyone else to decide if the source they’re posting needs their reputation established or if it can just be taken as read.

That is not realistic.

I must now draw a line and ask that further discussion be directed to me in PMs, even if you don't have plat currently.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
So anyone who wants to criticize obvious racism without being instantly probed for a day needs to buy plat to have their DMs ignored.
Love having to be on my best behaviour when I dare address you in your little fiefdom

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

This thread can hardly be expected to continue if every time someone wants to post a tweet or link to an article they have to be like, “The Washington Post is an American newspaper that has been running for over a century. Reporting in the Washington Post has won many awards, most famously for it’s role in exposing the Watergate scandal” or risk a 24 hour probe.

If the mods won’t provide a list of reputable sources, it’s up to the posters to compile the list ourselves. Once that’s done we can all post news from sources on the list without fear, and only feel the need to establish the bonafides of sources not on that list.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
The best source is obviously the IDF since they are on the ground.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Media Bias Fact Check has been a thing for a while. A reasonable metric to use.

Just to maybe segue this thread into another topic, did any goons post a list of red cross/humanitarian organizations that I can donate to?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
In case anyone was unaware, the Something Awful Discussion subforum is also a valid avenue to discuss moderation decisions if you do not have plat to PM a moderator who does not wish to discuss things openly.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

It looks like Palestinians in America and mosques are getting visits from three-letter agencies in the U.S. due to recent events in America. I personally feel awful for people who had nothing to do with the attacks getting harassed by American intelligence agencies, but it's not at all surprising.

https://twitter.com/theintercept/status/1712974151030370777

For those unaware of The Intercept, here is some background on them from Wikipedia below. They're a little controversial in some corners of SA, but they've done a lot of groundbreaking reporting on both domestic and international issues.

Wikipedia posted:

The Intercept was founded by journalists Glenn Greenwald, Jeremy Scahill, and Laura Poitras.[1] It was launched in February 2014 by First Look Media with funding by eBay co-founder Pierre Omidyar.[2][3] The publication initially reported on documents released by Edward Snowden.[4] Co-founders Greenwald and Poitras subsequently left amid public disagreements about the leadership and direction of the organization.[1] In January 2023 it spun off from the First Look Institute as an independent nonprofit organization.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intercept

The first byline is Prem Thakker. Here is his bio from The Intercept:

Prem Thakker posted:

Prem Thakker is a politics reporter for The Intercept. His interests include climate and the environment, corporate and political corruption, civil rights and justice, and labor. Prem previously worked at The New Republic, The American Prospect, and CNN. He grew up in North Dakota and now lives in Washington, D.C.

https://theintercept.com/staff/premthakker/

The second byline is Daniel Boguslaw. Here is his bio from The Intercept:

Daniel Boguslaw posted:

Daniel Boguslaw is an investigative reporter based in Washington, D.C. His interests include corporate corruption, congressional and White House investigations, American influence overseas, and organized labor. Prior to joining The Intercept, Daniel worked at the New Republic, The American Prospect, and as a firefighter in the Pacific Northwest.

https://theintercept.com/staff/danielboguslaw/

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013
After some private discussion about this I've realized that requiring statements of credibility for lesser-known sources is subjective and impractical, so I'm going back to the status quo. You do not need to provide those, but still refrain from using Twitter sources with no credibility (again, Sharif Kouddous is not one of those and that incident was my fault due to sloppiness when handling the report).

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yes I may laugh, but I'm glad modding this thread isn't my responsibility.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Koos Group posted:

After some private discussion about this I've realized that requiring statements of credibility for lesser-known sources is subjective and impractical, so I'm going back to the status quo. You do not need to provide those, but still refrain from using Twitter sources with no credibility (again, Sharif Kouddous is not one of those and that incident was my fault due to sloppiness when handling the report).

Big lol at whatever baby reported that post in the first place. What was the report reason?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Koos Group posted:

you probably should undo the probations of the people who correctly told you that that policy was stupid and subjective

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Herstory Begins Now posted:

you probably should undo the probations of the people who correctly told you that that policy was stupid and subjective

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

mannerup posted:

Reuters has updated their article on one of their photojournalists being killed, posting the entire article

this might just be me, but I’d be loving furious if the news agency I worked for would tiptoe around naming the government that killed me

Super sad. But first, what’s “Reuters”?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Ruggan posted:

Super sad. But first, what’s “Reuters”?

It's a major global news agency, similar to Associated Press.

How!
Oct 29, 2009

I don’t think Israel should be committing genocide

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I feel like subtweeting the recommendation and violating it counts as criticism of the guidelines. It's obvious what his opinion about them is.