Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They finally give peach an emotive face and they make her do the dreamworks smirk its over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Meowywitch posted:

cant believe the new mario is prolly younger than me

Mario is 25 years old

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

Noted company that doesn't want people thinking about the voice actor of Mario:

Of all the people who could've voiced Mario, they picked the one guy who's canonically fell into a pit.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Princess Peach *used* to be an emotional woman who needed to cry and rage to get things done, now she's a detective and a martial artist. Nintendo is destroying the concept of femininity. Don't they know the job of being a pink character who swaps between a bunch of different jobs belongs to a man like Kirby?

calling Kirby a man feels incredibly, almost cosmically perverse

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ImpAtom posted:

Princess Peach *used* to be an emotional woman who needed to cry and rage to get things done, now she's a detective and a martial artist.

Dude, she was using martial arts as far back as the original super Mario world manga in Nintendo power

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The new Peach game is just a subtle retelling of events from the manga to catch up new players. Peach can do martial arts. And Bowser and Luigi are married.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I just learned that Peach and Toad are voiced by the same woman

And yeah, that Mario comic was pretty good as I recall. Who was the artist?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 13, 2023

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Dude, she was using martial arts as far back as the original super Mario world manga in Nintendo power

man I used to have a trade paperback of this (and the zelda one)! It's gotta be at my mom's house, buried in the deathtrap that is her basement

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I was hoping it would be Kelsey Grammar

Now baby I hear the goombas callin, tossed mushrooms and birdo eggs

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Red dead physical comes out today, and doesn’t require a download to play. That’s nice!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
How is Fire Emblem Engage? I really liked Three Houses although was disappointed that its story was rushed through in the end. Someone at work told me Engage sucks and that's all I know.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

And yeah, that Mario comic was pretty good as I recall. Who was the artist?
Charlie Nozawa (also published as Tamakichi Sakura). Mostly a gag cartoonist, though contributed designs to some small Japanese games (Tower Land, Pikiinya!, Sansara Naga, and Tower Dream). Seems like the Nintendo Power stuff is his most internationally well-known work.

quote:

Akira "Charlie" Nozawa is a Japanese manga artist, born in 1961. He is also known as Tamakichi Sakura. Born in Tokyo, he studied at Tama Art University. He has done character designs for video games and has mainly made manga for computer game-related magazines. His gag cartoon 'The Shape of Happiness' ran in Famicom Tsūshin magazine (now formally Famitsu) from 1986 to 1994.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

snoremac posted:

How is Fire Emblem Engage? I really liked Three Houses although was disappointed that its story was rushed through in the end. Someone at work told me Engage sucks and that's all I know.

Engage has a really simple story and absolutely fantastic gameplay. About as far from Three Houses as you can get.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I predict that they will never use the same voice actor more than a few times for Mario characters again. They don't want anyone thinking about the actor.

:confused: that's exactly why they keep the same actors around for a long time with mascot roles like mario. if the character's voice is changing all the time people will notice it, if Mario's voice is the same for 20+ years then that's just what Mario sounds like

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

snoremac posted:

it only sucks if you're the worst kind of story/"video games are art" guy, otherwise i think it beats out 3H in most other aspects imo

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

snoremac posted:

it has a simple tropey story but the cast is entertainingly goofy and the gameplay is excellent

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Hmm in that case, what's the better of FE:E and the Advance Wars Reboot? Never played Advance Wars so whether it's a retread won't matter.

Edit: And Tactics Ogre!

snoremac fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 14, 2023

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
A Fire Emblem game with Three House's world building and Engage's gameplay would probably be perfect. That being said, Engage is better in almost every way.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

never played a fire emblem game. just going over the wikipedia page now, and it appears there are a ton of entries.

is there an overarching story? is one game a better entry point than others? does the story even matter for this series or any of its games?

wouldn't even know where to begin.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I think Engage is probably the only FE game where it's a good idea to have played several of the previous entries since there are a lot of past heroes from those games.

I've only started since path of radiance and awakening but I still really enjoyed Engage far more than 3 houses despite not knowing a lot of the heroes.

Awakening is the first where they introduce some social mechanics. Previous entries focus more on story and battles. Honestly if you like social sims, 3 houses is pretty great. But starting with Engage wouldn't be bad, and you can go back and play the previous games to learn more about those heroes.

The stories are typically pretty meh. But the other aspects like min/maxing and battling are so loving good and the permadeath actually makes you pay more attention. But newer entries have that as optional if you don't like it!

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

abelwingnut posted:

never played a fire emblem game. just going over the wikipedia page now, and it appears there are a ton of entries.

is there an overarching story? is one game a better entry point than others? does the story even matter for this series or any of its games?

wouldn't even know where to begin.

If you have the Expansion Pack, just play Fire Emblem GBA on the Virtual Console and go from there. Some of the Fire Emblem games are direct sequels/prequels for another entry but this is the exception, not the rule. In fact, most of the Fire Emblem games that are connected are difficult to get a hold of without emulation, so in your case I especially wouldn't worry about it.

Assuming you only have a Switch, your other options are Three Houses and Engage, which are good games in their own right but Fire Emblem GBA is the most representative of the series as a whole and designed for newcomers as well. You'll find out if you like it quickly.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

also there was a good writeup of the first game's story in the march chat thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4025875&perpage=40&noseen=1#post530155624

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

LionArcher posted:

Red dead physical comes out today, and doesn’t require a download to play. That’s nice!

out of curiosity, how's it run?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
cereza and the lost demon so far is a very nice little game and an utterly nonsensical addition to the bayonetta franchise

at the bare minimum they should have made this come out before bayo 3, not after

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

cereza and the lost demon so far is a very nice little game and an utterly nonsensical addition to the bayonetta franchise

at the bare minimum they should have made this come out before bayo 3, not after

It is really genuinely confusing it came out afterwards to like an absurd degree. It doesn't exactly fix Bayo 3's massive plot problems but at least it like... provides context to why things are the way they are instead of SUDDENLY FAIRY KING.

To be honest it really feels like it was the game they wanted to make and Bayo 3 was the game they were obligated to make.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Scuba Trooper posted:

man I used to have a trade paperback of this (and the zelda one)! It's gotta be at my mom's house, buried in the deathtrap that is her basement

That's what i took the photo from (my brother's copy, that I stole years ago; he still has the Zelda one, too).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Mister Facetious posted:

That's what i took the photo from (my brother's copy, that I stole years ago; he still has the Zelda one, too).

Nintendo Power comics never got better than those Zelda and Mario comics, imo. I still wonder how they got Shotaro "I made Kamen Rider" Ishinomori for the Zelda one.

That said, Star Fox was real good and Super Metroid was alright except for the end where the last metroid gets shot in the back by the Odious Comic Relief Character

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I remember the Star Fox one, but I don't think I ever read the Metroid comic. Are they online anywhere?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Star Fox comic also kind of gave us a proto Krystal in the form of Fara Phoenix (I seem to remember the latter being a better character though). Who drew that and the Metroid comic out of curiosity?

And yeah, are any of these legally available online anywhere?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Scuba Trooper posted:

out of curiosity, how's it run?

I haven’t bought it yet, but better than the 360
Version apparently (and looks better too) . Great port. I’ll pick it up physically when I’m done with the road trip camping trip I’m on.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I coincidentally dug out my copy of the Zelda comic a few days ago. I'm surprised it survived in such good condition. When I bought it, they only had that and the Mario one listed. But I really regret not getting the Mario comic instead. I only saw one issue of it in Nintendo Power at someone's house. The one with the wedding. The Zelda one is missing all the :catdrugs: the Mario comic seemed to have.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

The Star Fox comic also kind of gave us a proto Krystal in the form of Fara Phoenix (I seem to remember the latter being a better character though). Who drew that and the Metroid comic out of curiosity?
Benimaru Itoh illustrated both. He's also done a handful of Pokemon works and an Earthbound comic, but outside those he's probably known for his video game work - he was character designer for Earthbound (and Earthbound 64), was 3D modeling director for the Pokemon Stadiums, did graphic design for Kirby's Air Ride, and just a lot of supervisory and director roles for various Nintendo franchises from the SNES-DS years.

I suppose for the sake of completeness it can be noted that the Link to the Past comic was done by Shotaro Ishinomori, who's probably got the highest profile of the bunch - he did Cyborg 009 and Kamen Rider.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hogama posted:

Benimaru Itoh illustrated both. He's also done a handful of Pokemon works and an Earthbound comic, but outside those he's probably known for his video game work - he was character designer for Earthbound (and Earthbound 64), was 3D modeling director for the Pokemon Stadiums, did graphic design for Kirby's Air Ride, and just a lot of supervisory and director roles for various Nintendo franchises from the SNES-DS years.

I suppose for the sake of completeness it can be noted that the Link to the Past comic was done by Shotaro Ishinomori, who's probably got the highest profile of the bunch - he did Cyborg 009 and Kamen Rider.

Oh I knew that last one already (also it was mentioned on this page). Didn’t know there was an Earthbound comic though, is it good? Assuming it’s available in English that is

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 14, 2023

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Larryb posted:

Oh I knew that last one already (also it was mentioned on this page). Didn’t know there was an Earthbound comic though, is it good?
I dunno, it wasn't officially translated afaik. There's probably a fan translation somewhere, though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/23916234/nintendo-september-2023-wii-u-sales

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Is... the thread title a Frasier reference? If so :golfclap:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffle! posted:

Is... the thread title a Frasier reference? If so :golfclap:

Yes (the post it came from is literally near the top of this page no less)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Tall Tale Teller posted:

There's some really great mistranslations and engrish that are charming and cool AS HELL but what is going on in the plot? Nobody knows.

L I T T L E M O N E Y

I think plot misunderstandings are more just because Yasumi Matsuno's stories tend to be dense, politics-heavy, and rather dry. I loved Vagrant Story but I couldn't begin to recall what the plot was about at this point.

Brilliant game designer though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Larryb posted:

Also I just learned that Peach and Toad are voiced by the same woman

At one point, that was Jen Taylor, better known for her work as Cortana in pretty much every Halo game.

I'd love a mod for Halo that switches out Cortana for Toad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

At one point, that was Jen Taylor, better known for her work as Cortana in pretty much every Halo game.

I'd love a mod for Halo that switches out Cortana for Toad.

I didn't know that, that's awesome

Nowadays they're voiced by Samantha Kelly (who's been in a fair amount of stuff but the Mario series seems to be her biggest role, also weirdly most of her other work has been uncredited)