Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

Slide Hammer posted:

Is that a lean condition hole? (Meaning, the crank seal drying out is what caused this?)

Slavvy posted:

That is textbook lean running turning the spark plug into a gas torch yeah

Somehow those old seals lasted about 900 miles.

Engine is going to get a full teardown and rebuild. Nice to see that the parts are still available for a bike that was only made for three years.

I guess the only unique bits are the pistons with no holes compared to the RD350 pistons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Finally had an opportunity to have access to compressed air+ water, so I removed some fairing bits to get proper access to check the radiator(there was only one broken fairing fastener, first on the bike)

uh, yeah, I found why the cooling was pretty crap even with the fan triggering on correct temp

That's caked and hardened oil sand clogging it completely. Hitting it with some water and air did nothing. Soaked it maaany rounds with degreaser -> hosed it down -> blow with air -> repeat. Also used a toothbrush a bit.
I didn't get good pictures of the result in the dark, but water and air passed fine and checked with flashlight

This is the bike I bought in april this year. I really haven't done that much gravel riding with it.. I guess this hasn't been cleaned in years.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 13, 2023

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I had a random issue over Labor Day weekend where I hit the low gas warning and the bike would not rev past 6-7k RPM. Had no idea what it was, but figured it wouldn't hurt to replace the battery as I had no idea how old it was and got a bottle of fuel system cleaner too.

Battery was definitely due for replacement. Fires up in a fraction of the time compared to the old one.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I changed brake pads for the front brakes on the vfr. they where right at the wear indicator for all.

I didn't do a full proper bleed as it was pissing down rain.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 21, 2023

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

This is one of those super small jobs you normally ignore, but my OCD will not allow it. The side stand on the 919 was super gummy and wouldn't spring into the upright position, you'd have to guide it all the way up with your foot. Bringing it down was also gummy and not smooth feeling.

Disassembled, cleaned, greased up. That thing snaps right up now. Awww yeah.

opengl fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 21, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

opengl posted:

This is one of those super small jobs you normally ignore, but my OCD will not allow it. The side stand on the 919 was super gummy and wouldn't spring into the upright position, you'd have to guide it all the way up with your foot. Bringing it down was also gummy and not smooth feeling.

Disassembled, cleaned, greased up. That thing snaps right up now. Awww yeah.

I check for this and do it if it needs doing every time I service a bike, same with the hand and foot controls

It makes people think you're a sorcerer

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Taking care of any kind of actuated control really does wonders for every bike. Several months ago, I had to replace my clutch cable and my throttle cable at the same time, arguably the two most actuated controls. I also took that chance to replace the clutch lever. It totally changed the feel of the bike. Felt brand new.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Slide Hammer posted:

Taking care of any kind of actuated control really does wonders for every bike. Several months ago, I had to replace my clutch cable and my throttle cable at the same time, arguably the two most actuated controls. I also took that chance to replace the clutch lever. It totally changed the feel of the bike. Felt brand new.
I had a really tough clutch pull before the cable frayed and snapped. Between the new cable and a cleaning and fresh grease of the bolt and pin, yeah, felt like a new ride.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Got a new rear wheel mounted and balanced.

It was quite a stark difference putting the new and old side by side

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those appear to be tyres

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Slavvy posted:

Those appear to be tyres

:hmmyes:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I was excited because I ordered a round headlight for my new bike and I'd received a shipping notification and the package was arriving today which was very fast considering they said the headlight would ship on October 6th or sooner, but yay! Because I need the bike inspected and the garbage PO took the front blinkers off for reasons (the reason is he dropped the bike and broke them), I had asked motodemic to send me the blinkers first if possible and I'd pay for shipping for it. So when I picked up the package it will shock you to learn it was only the blinkers and not the headlight too and now I am unreasonably sad. But also, drat, great job by them to just ship them ASAP for free. Their stuff is absurdly expensive but quality on the blinkers looks great and it is important to have a round headlight and their customer service is just much better than anything I've experienced in a while.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sold it. Well, traded it in. Good bye 2009 Ninja 650, hello 2021 V-strom 650.

Got a trade in value above what I was hoping for considering the amount of PO fuckery on the Ninja, so I'm well pleased with that. The V-strom has 10800km on the clock and the shop did the 12k km service at no charge before I came to pick it up.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 28, 2023

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Disconcertingly, all of my rear sprocket nuts had come loose. The sprocket had about half an inch of angular play... Yeah, I had bent the tabs down on those long tab washers! Maybe that's what stopped the nuts from working themselves completely off. Seems like it'd been like that for at least a little while. Tightened them up and re-bent the tabs as close as I could manage. I was able to do this with the wheel still on the bike.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Busy day for zip tie supremacy

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
at that point I'd have to think it'd be easier to plastic weld those back together

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
This was pretty easy and surprisingly solid. I do have new plastics on order and this was/is intended to be a temporary solution but tbh - it's so sturdy that I'm not going to put the new piece on it until this old one actually bites it

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Zip tie stitches are a pretty solid bodywork repair afaik.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have been off two wheels for almost a year, but a buddy rolled into town this week and we unearthed my FZ1 and I did a carb rebuild on it.

and by god, it worked. Used to have no off-idle at all, turns out all the jets were clogged. Replaced them all, cleaned the bowls (not that funky actually) and redid the gaskets and we got that fucker humming again. Feels good. Also reminded me that liters are terrifying; i'm going to sell it to him next year because it's just so Extra and i want to gently caress around with a smaller 4 with fuel injection and abs, and other modern toys. Eyeing up a zx-4rr.

tl;dr: drain your fuckin carb bowls if you're gonna let your whip sit, folks

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
And/or run stabilizer through it :)

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I took my forks out with the intent of dropping them off for a service and respring, but my garage door won't open :negative:

Anyway, now that I can feel each fork individually, I can confirm the right fork has absolutely no damping. If it does, it is dangerously fast. If I shake it around I hear oil inside, but no idea what it's doing other than maybe preventing corrosion. The left fork actually feels ok to me, but I don't necessarily know anything. Kind of amazing how little force is actually holding the forks in place. I have 2 pinch bolts on each fork, with 16 and 24 lb-ft

This Pit Bull stand is super nice. It is a lot less effort to lift up the front, and it has a nice holder for the caliper, caliper bolts, axle, and wheel spacers :hellyeah:

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 5, 2023

2Fast2Nutricious
Oct 4, 2020

My bike's rear is completely flat, so that's cool. I've pumped it back up and am going to see how much air is left tomorrow morning. In any case I'm probably going to phone the mechanic for this and other bits and bobs that I was meaning to get to "sometime".

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Toe Rag posted:

I took my forks out with the intent of dropping them off for a service and respring, but my garage door won't open :negative:

Anyway, now that I can feel each fork individually, I can confirm the right fork has absolutely no damping. If it does, it is dangerously fast. If I shake it around I hear oil inside, but no idea what it's doing other than maybe preventing corrosion. The left fork actually feels ok to me, but I don't necessarily know anything. Kind of amazing how little force is actually holding the forks in place. I have 2 pinch bolts on each fork, with 16 and 24 lb-ft

This Pit Bull stand is super nice. It is a lot less effort to lift up the front, and it has a nice holder for the caliper, caliper bolts, axle, and wheel spacers :hellyeah:

Does your bike have rebound in one and compression in the other?

I installed a round headlight. Waiting on red fairings with white stripe to come in.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
the study in abusing ktms continue.
4 years/5,000kms oil change

I ignore the screens and clean em with the larger service involving a valve check. If this fucker is going to eat itself a bug sized piece of metal stuck to the screen won't make a difference.

Drain plug looks fine.

No engine or coolant on the filter, ready to haul groceries or whatever

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

the study in abusing ktms continue.
4 years/5,000kms oil change

I ignore the screens and clean em with the larger service involving a valve check. If this fucker is going to eat itself a bug sized piece of metal stuck to the screen won't make a difference.

Drain plug looks fine.

No engine or coolant on the filter, ready to haul groceries or whatever

I can see you going out for some milk and coming home with butter.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Toe Rag posted:

:nice:

I also have the matching set of the Pitbull stands, 3 cheap rear stands and 1 cheap front stand later, and should have just bought those to begin with. The little caliper extra addons hit that neat freak part of my brain real good, you bet I got them for both stands. I also got the wall hangers but since it will be going into drywall, I'll have to fix a more permanent mounting solution first, so that's still in the box.

e: for actual what did I do, took the horn off the Ninja 400 just before the latest track day. It was activating at around 8k-9k RPM and really annoying. I think this will turn into a dedicated track bike through attrition, especially if it ever goes down and any OEM fairings get sacrificed.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 7, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

RightClickSaveAs posted:

e: for actual what did I do, took the horn off the Ninja 400 just before the latest track day. It was activating at around 8k-9k RPM and really annoying. I think this will turn into a dedicated track bike through attrition, especially if it ever goes down and any OEM fairings get sacrificed.

Lol this is hilarious, I guess it was vibration actuating the relay or something?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Slavvy posted:

Lol this is hilarious, I guess it was vibration actuating the relay or something?
Haha yeah, it was driving me crazy when I first noticed it, I even took it into a shop just in case it was engine related, but no just the dumb, cheap OEM horn wiggling around at the right frequency once it hit that RPM range. Wasn't a big deal under normal use but I've been flogging it some at track and it started annoying me again so just pulled it off when I dropped the front forks since it was easy to get to.

superunknown was the one who diagnosed it for me here a while ago before the shop started tearing into it and it causing further head scratching:

superunknown posted:

In case you're still wondering about this noise, that's the horn. It's common for the ninja 400 horn to make horn noises at 8-9k rpm for some reason. You can try tightening the screw that holds the horn to its bracket, or put a rubber washer under it.
I replaced mine with some car horn anyway since no one can hear motorcycle horns.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Went to fill up, hit exactly 9700km.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Worked on this today

Aprilia dorso 750

Never ridden one before, surprisingly fun! Not really at the same level of single minded commitment as a hypermotard but nonetheless a really good mix of civilized ease of use and zippy pitchy goodness

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Worked on this today

Aprilia dorso 750

Never ridden one before, surprisingly fun! Not really at the same level of single minded commitment as a hypermotard but nonetheless a really good mix of civilized ease of use and zippy pitchy goodness

One of those was on my short list. I can't remember the exact reason I didn't go with one. I think the odd one for sale here locally were asking too much money, or possibly it was the lack of parts and service support that spooked me, or maybe some combination of that and more. I'd like to have a go on one, they tick a lot of boxes.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

seems smart. a trackday buddy upgraded to an aprilla. Turns out every little thing is both expensive and difficult to source. an aftermarket rear shock was like decent percentage of the bikes msrp.

We were all just so used to there being a million ebay listings for Japanese bikes. forgot what it could be like.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Basically every Aprilia I encounter, I can't really think of a reason you'd want it over the equivalent Ducati

The only time this hasn't been the case is with scooters, they make some sweet sport scooters

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

yummycheese posted:

seems smart. a trackday buddy upgraded to an aprilla. Turns out every little thing is both expensive and difficult to source. an aftermarket rear shock was like decent percentage of the bikes msrp.

We were all just so used to there being a million ebay listings for Japanese bikes. forgot what it could be like.

Yeah, I had an Aprilia when I lived in England, but had a good dealer/mechanic down the street. I feel parts and expertise availability is less of a concern in Europe than some provincial outpost in Canada.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I rigged up a dual usb long connector to power my harkila heated middle layer from the battery on my vfr. Some PO had installed a standard 12v socket under the lockable passenger seat, so I just made a dual usb extension that that I put in a wire sleeve.

Tested it today, worked fine. I fed the wires into my right thigh pocket on my pants, so the plugs is in there. That won't work if it rains, but then I'll snake it up in to a inner side pocket on my jacket.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I dropped it doing low speed practice in a parking lot. Broke the turn signal lens and bruised my ankle :(

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Fear of that is what keeps me from truly gaining proficiency with my heavy bike, but you have taken a piece of the motorcycle's soul into yourself in the form of practice, you did the right thing IMO

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you

Arson Daily posted:

I dropped it doing low speed practice in a parking lot. Broke the turn signal lens and bruised my ankle :(

That sucks I'm sorry. But you will learn from this and become a better rider for it.

My superstition is that every mishap in practice spares you a disaster in the real world. Cry in the parking lot, laugh on the interstate.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

It was more of an ego bruise than anything. I haven't had a spill in a very long time but I also hadn't ridden in like a month so the rust had built up. I'll do better next time and hopefully I won't go so long between rides

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Better than breaking your ankle tbh