Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Impressive amount of trust shown by both sides.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/6-8/51

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqti-G28egc

"Boxing the compass" means going in a 360-degree circle through all the points of the compass.

For Stephen Foster and the Swanee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc8V4Vyc5iA

It took me way too long to realize "huckleberry finish" was just a reference to Huckleberry Finn and the raft.

I haven't been able to find any Ecunfinocan Indian tribe, but the name is probably related to the Okeefenokee Swamp, where the Swanee originates (and where Pogo and company live).

Archie 6/3-5/48

Another stop on the Bob Montana Recycles Ancient Jokes tour.

Bonus Comic! It's been noted before, but it's still amazing how different Mort Walker's art became over the years.

Beetle Bailey 8/7/51

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

This is maybe a point that hasn’t aged well over 30 years, partly for fat shaming and partly because the thing (or at least a thing) today is to celebrate your stretch marks, but in ’93 Japan it was probably pretty daring to suggest that a mother might want to think about staying sexy after giving birth.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

goatface posted:

Ox is generally shown as being friendly and sociable. I'm not sure why she wouldn't just talk to him about idle gossip considering he works with a number of her friends and family.

She doesn't want to talk about idle gossip. She wants dramatic bullshit she can siphon off of for her stupid-rear end """writing""", because she herself has all the personality of a sponge still in shrinkwrap.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Malachite_Dragon posted:

She doesn't want to talk about idle gossip. She wants dramatic bullshit she can siphon off of for her stupid-rear end """writing""", because she herself has all the personality of a sponge still in shrinkwrap.

Also she’s horny and missed out “big hands, big feet, big meat”. What a dumb-dumb.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Resident Idiot posted:

GoComics comment section is having a normal one:

Meanwhile 9 Chickweed Lane (which I am still not posting itt anymore, and presumably you do so at your own risk) is doing a perfectly normal and socially acceptable weeklong storyline involving a father of twin toddlers using storytime to teach said twin toddlers to sexualize and objectify their mother for entertainment. But the meatheads have spoken. The bigger sin is that drag performers exist. :argh:

Our Boarding House (September 11-13, 1924)

Toonerville Trolley (November 17-19, 1921)

THE POWERFUL KATRINKA: Katrinka is so tremendously strong that the difference in weight between just the top fo the garbage can and the whole thing would make very little impression.

Dok's Dippy Centrifugal Force (December 14, 1914)

Little Lefty (April 13-14, 1939; the 15th was an unexpected repeat of Jan. 10th)

Sing along if you know the words...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQs7zdVmPDg

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Kid Fenris posted:

Every retail job I've had let the store staff do their own inventory, so I'm not familiar with the stereotype of external inventory teams being unsociable and sketchy. Is it just a running gag that this comic invented?

Edit: Also, hell yeah, Rie and Hiren.

I often see them in Target.

Selachian posted:

Remember, folks, anyone who talks in a Brooklyn accent is probably a low-class criminal.
Everyone from Brooklyn is a criminal; I mean, look at these near-do-wells.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

fondue posted:

I often see them in Target.

Everyone from Brooklyn is a criminal; I mean, look at these near-do-wells.

"near-do-well" is such a brilliant typo, i want to steal it

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
People are probably sick of me posting this stuff, but in Breaking Cat News today was Elvis' 15th Birthday!:toot:

Georgia Dunn posted:

Happy birthday to my best boy, Elvis!! ❤️ Elvis is 15 years old today! 🙏🏻❤️ He is still spry and strong, with good energy and all the determination and grit of a very grumpy Siamese cat lol. I love him to pieces and hope and pray he lives at least another 15 years! 😅 So grateful for every day with this special boy!

Here's a pick of baby Elvis, there are more at the BCN Instagram link.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm fine with the BCN irl updates, it's just the mole storyline that has outstayed it's welcome

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

EasyEW posted:

Seconding Crab Dad on this one. Unless you've got a Goldie-style child with the mind of a banker, handing a kid a no-strings-attached blank check without some type of oversight is a recipe for disaster.

(source: me, who remembers absolutely sucking at money management (especially the delayed gratification part of it) from childhood until...well, I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.)
That's the problem. You can't just give kids money (not least because you don't have unlimited money yourself) but you can't blame them for wanting it, and it's impossible to justify a system in which they are expected to have money but given no way to acquire money. Advertisers market to children as a way to get their parents' money, but to kids it just looks like a constant barrage of "here's a cool thing that you can't have".

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (November 10, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

There's something darkly hilarious about this comic, which I'm pretty sure is unintentional.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

Catellite
Apr 29, 2008

If <waves arm expansively> was legalized.

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

I think 'Wholesome Hagar' might be my favourite surprising quirk of older strips.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Seconding Crab Dad on this one. Unless you've got a Goldie-style child with the mind of a banker, handing a kid a no-strings-attached blank check without some type of oversight is a recipe for disaster.

(source: me, who remembers absolutely sucking at money management (especially the delayed gratification part of it) from childhood until...well, I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.)

Tiggum posted:

That's the problem. You can't just give kids money (not least because you don't have unlimited money yourself) but you can't blame them for wanting it, and it's impossible to justify a system in which they are expected to have money but given no way to acquire money. Advertisers market to children as a way to get their parents' money, but to kids it just looks like a constant barrage of "here's a cool thing that you can't have".

Caveat: I have no children and probably never will, so feel free to ignore my opinion I guess, but this is why you SHOULD give your kids money, typically as a regular allowance that simulates getting a paycheck. They can spend it to get that sweet sweet dopamine, but more importantly, if they want anything significant they have to learn to save and budget. It's the parents' job to help their kids learn that stuff - you don't just get born as a Goldie with good financial sense.

If they want to blow their savings on something they'll regret buying, you can warn them about it, but you should let them do it so they get to experience the consequences and learn that lesson when they're ten instead of eighteen and armed with their first credit card or whatever.

Resident Idiot posted:

There's nothing at all sexual about someone in a silly costume reading a book. To borrow their phrasing, it's "great" to see all the bigots expose themselves by flipping their poo poo and insisting anyone anywhere in the greater LGBTQ+etc sphere who interacts with kids in any way must be a predator.

:sickos:

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

“Daddy-O”? Now they’re just being silly.

This was already said, but like, isn't her insisting she's this guy's daughter the more pressing issue here?

Vintage Valiant (Oct. 04, 1959)

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Knowing what we do now, this strikes me less as 'parents assuming some rando is their kid's boyfriend' and more 'Lynn laying the groundwork for the worst choice ever in the comic.' None of the preceding strips show what Anthony's personality is even like; it was all focused on how the toddler acted as an authorial mouthpiece and assumed Elizabeth and Anthony were going to make out. I've never seen how the Anthony thing played out and I'm already dreading it if it's this hamfisted.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

I hate every thing about these two strips.

Medenmath posted:

This was already said, but like, isn't her insisting she's this guy's daughter the more pressing issue here?

Yeah, I dunno what the gently caress the writer's doing. This woman's the one who demanded they get a drink first while in somebody's home. She waited until the ex-cop mentioned his favorite drink before declaring it as her favorite, too. She brought up someone this guy knew from his past but didn't bring up photos or anything to validate it. All signs point to this being a scam! The swerve to her talking about sticking it to the man serves no purpose, and it makes her look like a giant moron for sabotaging her own grift's chances of getting accepted by the guy.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Resident Idiot posted:

In fairness, that's the minority of the comments, the overwhelming majority are making fun of people like that.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I'm fine with the BCN irl updates, it's just the mole storyline that has outstayed it's welcome

The mole war has now dragged on into two different real-life wars!

Breaking Cat News

OH MY GOD IT NEVER ENDS.

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Honestly the most discussed comment on this one is "hi_and_lois_everything_has_a_price.jpg"

Curtis

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/13/03

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 11/15-17/51

Yes, who IS this man?

Smokey Stover 5/19/57

Everyday Movies 11/11/36

"Yes, I know it's too big for you, dear, but we can't only think of this year, but the next year and the year after."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/14-16/42

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Yeah, I dunno what the gently caress the writer's doing. This woman's the one who demanded they get a drink first while in somebody's home. She waited until the ex-cop mentioned his favorite drink before declaring it as her favorite, too. She brought up someone this guy knew from his past but didn't bring up photos or anything to validate it. All signs point to this being a scam! The swerve to her talking about sticking it to the man serves no purpose, and it makes her look like a giant moron for sabotaging her own grift's chances of getting accepted by the guy.

Assuming it's not meant to be a scam and that's just a (likely accidental) red herring on the writer's part...

What's weird to me is that going by the dialogue, this girl doesn't even know what her dad did for a living yet. But going by the artwork, it's as if she does know, because she's been shouting and using aggressive, accusatory body language right from the start. I feel like maybe the artist has misunderstood the tone and intent of the writing...? But on the other hand, why am I giving the writing the benefit of the doubt, daddy-o?

(As for whoever does the lettering, I only hope they get the professional help they need.)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one: the Mary Worth author believes in the sanctity of police/military forces protecting society and this Young Person is comically worked up and unreasonable. So dumb and god drat crazy.

Jucika "320 - Jucika And The Big Catch"

"321 - Jucika At A Foreign Store"

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

manero fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 14, 2023

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Doomykins posted:

Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one: the Mary Worth author believes in the sanctity of police/military forces protecting society and this Young Person is comically worked up and unreasonable. So dumb and god drat crazy.

Jucika "320 - Jucika And The Big Catch"

"321 - Jucika At A Foreign Store"

I like the use of red in panel 3 of the Big Catch

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

You're being loving rude, Luann.
I've had basically this exact date happen. She gets there, tells me she has to do some work stuff on her phone and proceeds to give me one-word answers when I tried to talk to her. I bailed after finishing a beer.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Getting a kick out of both of these today.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A brief Peanuts special, in honor of the eclipse going on right now, and inspired by the current weather where I am:

Peanuts, July 15-20, 1963

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Tiggum posted:

As absolutely on target as you are about the commercialized world's mercenary nature when it comes to the weakest targets, it's an interesting direction to take a "moms' night out sharing of experiences" strip. Still, you're getting me one step closer to that Lefty reboot someone suggested a few threads ago, so something interesting might come from that.

So feeling this one right now. :smith:

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts, in which the shoe drops. (October 16, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner (November 1-3, 1934)

Thimble Theater (May 18, 1940)

Out Our Way (January 21-23, 1943; spoiler for government-sanctioned wartime racism)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus[/b[

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Wow!

[b]Apartment 3-G

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Kid I've done some quick maths and I have good news and bad news

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

My Lovely Horse posted:

Kid I've done some quick maths and I have good news and bad news

WIlliams isn't the best at this, is he

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

amigolupus posted:

Knowing what we do now, this strikes me less as 'parents assuming some rando is their kid's boyfriend' and more 'Lynn laying the groundwork for the worst choice ever in the comic.' None of the preceding strips show what Anthony's personality is even like; it was all focused on how the toddler acted as an authorial mouthpiece and assumed Elizabeth and Anthony were going to make out. I've never seen how the Anthony thing played out and I'm already dreading it if it's this hamfisted.

It's worse.

Luann

How do you define normal in a study with a sample size of one?

Gil Thorp

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (September 22-25, 2003)

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

“Daddy-O”? Now they’re just being silly.

I assume her parents met like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDg_aLEHUsY

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

Peanuts, July 15-20, 1963

The eclipse:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!