Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Rap Game Goku posted:

I'm sure this is a 14 thing and not an 8 pro thing, but how do I see my notifications on the lock screen? All I get are the little icons with no information.

settings/display/lock screen

make sure the privacy stuff on notifications hasn't turned itself on again, mine did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
My watch is just constantly rebooting after setup, even with 0 input. Waiting for my ticket to get bumped up to a higher support tier, but if I had to guess, it's got some bad onboard storage

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Volguus posted:

I've been using AAWireless for a bunch of years now, ordered it from indiegogo campaign. Was quite poo poo at the beginning, but with software updates it's been rock solid now for more than 2 years. Except one spot in my city. Whenever I go over a particular bridge then under it to merge on a (big) highway, AA just disconnects. Reconnects 2 minutes later. It happened too many times around that spot to be a coincidence. No idea what could cause it, but that location on earth just simply hates AAWireless. Or AA. Or me.

Sounds like a high powered transmitter, maybe. Not sure if the AAWireless uses 2.4 or 5, but if it's 2.4, microwave transmissions can disrupt it. When my in-laws were using a lovely laptop with just 2.4GHz WiFi, the microwave oven between the laptop and router would disrupt their connection when it ran.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

DesperateDan posted:

settings/display/lock screen

make sure the privacy stuff on notifications hasn't turned itself on again, mine did

Its set to show everything. At least all the places I've found to look. All I get is:

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh
The watch shipping firmware seems like it has some issues, mine got stuck for a while trying to update the watch because the watch kept waiting to charge while nothing happened.
Eventually it updated, but the Watch app on the phone was stuck, and after rebooting the phone I opened it again and it told me something went wrong with the pairing and I'd have to factory reset the watch.
After all that everything seems to be working fine, although I no longer have cool English as a language:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Apparently it needs to be both more charged and on the charger in order to update, unfortunately I'm not at home for hours so the watch is basically unusable for hours

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm trading in my Pixel 7 Pro toward an 8 Pro since Google had some sense and ditched the curved screen that broke when I pushed the volume-up button. Hopefully, insurance covers that one because I can't activate a Moto Z4 on Fi. Are there reliable go-to brands of screen protectors and cases that I should order ahead of time? I'd like to keep it in good shape but anything I do to protect a phone seems increasingly useless.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Your screen didn't break because you pushed the volume up button, unless you are a Hulk.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Volguus posted:

I've been using AAWireless for a bunch of years now, ordered it from indiegogo campaign. Was quite poo poo at the beginning, but with software updates it's been rock solid now for more than 2 years. Except one spot in my city. Whenever I go over a particular bridge then under it to merge on a (big) highway, AA just disconnects. Reconnects 2 minutes later. It happened too many times around that spot to be a coincidence. No idea what could cause it, but that location on earth just simply hates AAWireless. Or AA. Or me.

You're not crazy, this happens to me when I drive pass the entrance/exit to one of the major NYC tunnels. I always assumed there's some government tech doing something that doesn't need to comply with normal spectrum limits and it just overpowers the AA adapter.
Audio I'm listening will sometimes cut out without AA fully disconnecting, and it reconnects a lot faster than 2 minutes, but may just be my spot is further from the government AP of doom than your spot.
Here's my spot if anyone's curious. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.679...i8192?entry=ttu

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Your screen didn't break because you pushed the volume up button, unless you are a Hulk.
@It was a Google OEM replacement screen and they said after multiple escalated support tickets that it can't possibly be due to the screen lifting because of adhesive not setting properly or the repair being done wrong by some guy at uBreakIFix. "OK Google, search for phone cases, screen protectors, and Stockholm Syndrome."

I was really tempted by a flip phone the other day.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

are there any matte-finish transparent cases for the 8 pro? I don't care about visual clarity through the case so much as not having that greasy gloss plastic feel.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 14, 2023

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Rap Game Goku posted:

Its set to show everything. At least all the places I've found to look. All I get is:

If you use face unlock with the skip Lockscreen option, you don't get Lockscreen widgets. It sucks but iiwii.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

THF13 posted:

You're not crazy, this happens to me when I drive pass the entrance/exit to one of the major NYC tunnels. I always assumed there's some government tech doing something that doesn't need to comply with normal spectrum limits and it just overpowers the AA adapter.
Audio I'm listening will sometimes cut out without AA fully disconnecting, and it reconnects a lot faster than 2 minutes, but may just be my spot is further from the government AP of doom than your spot.
Here's my spot if anyone's curious. https://www.google.com/maps/@40.679...i8192?entry=ttu

Wireless AA is pretty sensitive to interference in the 5ghz spectrum. Things like driving through an EZPass toll booth will make it cut out for a few seconds until you get clear.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Incessant Excess posted:

If you use face unlock with the skip Lockscreen option, you don't get Lockscreen widgets. It sucks but iiwii.

I used to always use the option to skip the lockscreen with face unlock on my P7P but a few weeks back I changed it to require the swipe/lock symbol tap and I actually much prefer it that way. Aside from having the notification widgets right there, I realized I didn't want to jump into the homepage every time I looked at the phone.

Oddly enough, I don't like this behavior on my iPhone and wish I could skip its lockscreen. I think it's because it's pickier about where it requires the swipe-up action (from the very bottom of the display, otherwise it just thinks you want to scroll through notifications even if there are none).

stratego
May 6, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has anyone in the thread gone from a Pixel 7 to an 8?

I went from a 7 Pro to an 8 Pro because I hated the curved glass edges.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
My P6 updated to Android 14 and now whenever I try to open an app from my home screen there's what feels like a 30% chance it just doesn't open and I'm left staring at my background wallpaper until I swipe up to pull my home screen up again. Not sure if it's Android or Nova launcher causing problems.

Guess I should see if there are any launchers worth swapping to anyways, it's been years since I landed on Nova.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Nova has more or less been abandoned since it was sold. I'm gutted, so I just use the default launcher now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So far I have gotten really used to having a sort of, popsocket type device to hold the phone with, and on this case I don't have one, for the p8 but I still think that I kind of want one? Is there some sort of case that has one of those holder type things that also allows you to wirelessly charge with?

So far the battery life is pretty decent, with the p8. The phone itself is interesting. Idk how I like the inscreen thumbprint scanner vs a scanner on the back like the nexus 5x.

I tried the pixel pro buds a little bit and they were pretty decent. The sound wasn't as good as my other headphones, the Sony XM4 cans, but that's to be expected vs earbuds. The anc is okay I guess. The Sony ones are top shelf when it comes to ANC.

The battery in the pixel watch 2 is frankly kinda bad, in my opinion. I charged it to 100% before bed, and woke up after a few hours and it was at 77% like, lmao what. I have aod off, but I have tilt to wake on because that's useful. Maybe I need to turn more things off?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Nova has more or less been abandoned since it was sold. I'm gutted, so I just use the default launcher now.

The last beta they put out was 8.0.6 on... July 11th on their Discord. The update/release cycle is really long.

Also, I updated my 6 Pro to 14, and didn't have the issues that isndl is seeing, and I really only use Nova Launcher (though I'm on the beta above)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Now I'm having issues getting the Buds to stay in my ear 😩 why don't these things come with hooks

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The new buds hold better than any others I've used right out of the box.

I have Galaxy Buds 2 as well, and I constantly had to adjust them.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I dunno if they fixed it or something, but the "share to your devices" through chrome works fast and flawlessly now

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

The new buds hold better than any others I've used right out of the box.

I have Galaxy Buds 2 as well, and I constantly had to adjust them.

It suggested for me to use different size ear things, so I did, but now I'm noticing that they slide out a lot, so, unfortunately I'm away from the tips to replace with the bigger ones right now

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Get the Comply foam tips for your Galaxy Buds. Much better fit and much better sound!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I hear you have to replace those often

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

GreenBuckanneer posted:

eh they're okay but have their own comfort quirks, though foam earbuds are worth a try if silicone isn't working in your usage

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Alarbus posted:

The last beta they put out was 8.0.6 on... July 11th on their Discord. The update/release cycle is really long.

Also, I updated my 6 Pro to 14, and didn't have the issues that isndl is seeing, and I really only use Nova Launcher (though I'm on the beta above)

I updated p6p to 14 and I had that same issue, but only until I restarted the phone and then it's been gone since. I also use nova launcher.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Incessant Excess posted:

I knew it was a setting I hadn't considered. Thank you.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there some setting I need to turn back in to get the little vibration when swiping up from the nav bar? On 13 I'd get it once the cards were locked in (that is, after the vibration I could let go and stay in the list, rather than springing back to the app).

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

They last a while for me, depends how gunky your ear is I guess (you're supposed to wipe them down every time you use them for maximum life length but I don't).

It's not just the comfort, they really do make my Buds 2 sounds a hell of a lot better because it's a better fit. They really should ship them with these tips.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Alarbus posted:

Anecdotally I am on the beta and also get the same issue that isndl is having on my P7. Soliciting recommendations for a new launcher as well...it's probably time to move on from Nova.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

isndl posted:

My P6 updated to Android 14 and now whenever I try to open an app from my home screen there's what feels like a 30% chance it just doesn't open and I'm left staring at my background wallpaper until I swipe up to pull my home screen up again. Not sure if it's Android or Nova launcher causing problems.

Guess I should see if there are any launchers worth swapping to anyways, it's been years since I landed on Nova.

I also have a P6, and yesterday I had the phone app hang pretty bad on me, of all things. In my case it appeared to happen right around when the phone was deciding if it should be in light or dark mode, so it's possible I ran into a glitch because of that. Restarted the phone and it's been fine since. I'm using the stock launcher and don't add anything to Android or tweak it that much.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

happy Pixel 8 Pro day to me, Pixel Warriors Forever :911:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, I got mine today too (had to have it held at a FedEx location because I was away for work for the week). Setting it up now, love the flat screen so far.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

isndl posted:

this happens to me all the time, but I'm using a pixel 5 with Microsoft launcher (which I like a lot, as a former Nova user)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I got mine today too (had to have it held at a FedEx location because I was away for work for the week). Setting it up now, love the flat screen so far.

The flat screen is incredible. I didn't know what I was missing :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One thing I didn't see mentioned in any reviews is the default UI density is SOOOO much better than the P7P.

At default settings, the P7P showed less information on the screen was less than the normal Pixel 7. However, if you lowered either display size or font size, padding got a bit weird.

P8P is just perfect in that regard.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Flat screen is poggers

P4 had it

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm in no way defending the thinking for putting a temp sensor in the phone, but every single reviewer was saying how they didn't know how to point it. The app itself has an icon that radiates on the screen that's directly aligned with the sensor and not a single one mentioned it.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

bull3964 posted:

I'm in no way defending the training for putting a temp sensor in the phone, but every single reviewer was saying how they didn't know how to point it. The app itself has an icon that radiates on the screen that's directly aligned with the sensor and not a single one mentioned it.

It even tells you that inside the app. Look at Linus fail to figure out how to work it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVzCxCk8klg&t=895s

EDIT: The icon even pulses on the phone to draw attention to it.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 15, 2023