Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Time_pants posted:

It is absolutely loving wild how everything is candy flavored now.

The brewpub by my house now has the following beers:
peanut butter porter
jelly donut flavored sour
IPA
IPA 2
IPA 3
salted caramel brown ale
jelly donut flavored sour 2
IPA 4 (hazy)
blood orange wheat ale
s'more beer... the gently caress?
matcha tea sour beer 3
oreo stout
IPA 5 (red)
IPA 6 (milkshake)
IPA 7 (milkshake)
IPA 8 (milkshake)
IPA 9 (milkshake)
oreo stout 2
oreo stout 3
Hefeweizen
Oktoberfest
IPA 10 (pineapple)
Cereal beer something
IPA 11

I am sad that I looked through that whole list to write this and am now mad at life on a Friday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

shazbot posted:

We’re leaving the age of unlimited conspicuous consumption. Which, for a lot of reasons, isn’t necessarily a bad thing. However, there is the absurdity of media towing the line about how people aren’t consuming enough while also doing their best to hide inflation, record corporate profits, etc. The middle class will erode and there will only be bacon havers and bacon have-not-ers.

There's a ton of poo poo that is both in and out of our control that's gonna gently caress us up real good over the next century. Hopefully things settle down again at some point and we can have another period of progress afterwards.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Tarkus posted:

There's a ton of poo poo that is both in and out of our control that's gonna gently caress us up real good over the next century. Hopefully things settle down again at some point and we can have another period of progress afterwards.

This isn't the unfounded optimism thread, get outta here

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Every single fall of a civilization has had a civilian population watch it happen from the sidelines. We're no more special or immune than them, the only question is if the shoe has begun to drop

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

shazbot posted:

We’re leaving the age of unlimited conspicuous consumption. Which, for a lot of reasons, isn’t necessarily a bad thing. However, there is the absurdity of media towing the line about how people aren’t consuming enough while also doing their best to hide inflation, record corporate profits, etc. The middle class will erode and there will only be bacon havers and bacon have-not-ers.

Bacon is 4 bucks a pound at Aldi. Half the cost of a pack of smokes.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

Szyznyk posted:

Bacon is 4 bucks a pound at Aldi. Half the cost of a pack of smokes.

I’m not one to eat the cheapest completely unregulated pork you can find, but I guess you can still be poor and be a bacon haver.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

shazbot posted:

I’m not one to eat the cheapest completely unregulated pork you can find, but I guess you can still be poor and be a bacon haver.

Respect

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Biplane posted:

This isn't the unfounded optimism thread, get outta here

That's OK, none of us will be alive to see the better times. Better?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Tarkus posted:

That's OK, none of us will be alive to see the better times. Better?

Nobody will.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Outpost22 posted:

AI assistant who will be my girlfriend when?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Time_pants posted:

Nobody will.

Ehh, humans are probably the most adaptable animal on the planet. I suspect we'll survive as a species one way or another. Barring an asteroid that blasts the planet to chunks anyways.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

StrangersInTheNight posted:

i know people have said outlook search, but I'm mentioning it again because it somehow became worse recently? I don't know how it's possible but it finds even less of what I search for, now. just absolute trash.

If you haven't already, go into File > Options > Search and disable "Improve search speed by limiting the number of results shown" and "Show most relevant searches on top". It should get you back to a more reliable chronological search result.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Virigoth posted:

peanut butter porter
IPA
IPA 2
IPA 3
salted caramel brown ale
IPA 4 (hazy)
blood orange wheat ale
matcha tea sour beer 3
oreo stout
IPA 5 (red)
IPA 6 (milkshake)
IPA 7 (milkshake)
IPA 8 (milkshake)
IPA 9 (milkshake)
oreo stout 2
oreo stout 3
Hefeweizen
Oktoberfest
IPA 10 (pineapple)
Cereal beer something
IPA 11

I am sad that I looked through that whole list to write this and am now mad at life on a Friday.

That looks like an awesome beer list though?
Cut out everything else and just carry IPA1, IPA5 red, Hefeweizen and Oktoberfest and that's a beer list that I would have killed for 15 years ago. Midsized cities probably had 1 or 2 bars that would beat any list containing those 4. I am not a fan of super sweet stuff or IPAs either but the beer situation is way less dire than it used to be.

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.
Not gonna lie I’d try the jelly donut sour and blood orange wheat

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Windows 11 added back the "never combine, always show labels" on the taskbar, finally, after a loving year.

It was a feature since windows 7? And some people actually still had the option this entire time?

I had to buy third party software to get basic windows functionality back to where it was, and then after the update the software broke explorer.exe until I figured out how to get windows functioning enough to remove it.

Good job i guess?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Virigoth posted:

peanut butter porter
IPA
IPA 2
IPA 3
salted caramel brown ale
IPA 4 (hazy)
blood orange wheat ale
matcha tea sour beer 3
oreo stout
IPA 5 (red)
IPA 6 (milkshake)
IPA 7 (milkshake)
IPA 8 (milkshake)
IPA 9 (milkshake)
oreo stout 2
oreo stout 3
Hefeweizen
Oktoberfest
IPA 10 (pineapple)
Cereal beer something
IPA 11

Ask for a taste of the jelly donut sour and the blood orange wheat, then order the oktoberfest.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Sentient Data posted:

Every single fall of a civilization has had a civilian population watch it happen from the sidelines. We're no more special or immune than them, the only question is if the shoe has begun to drop

yeah but civilizations “collapse” over centuries. It’s not like a 24hr zombie apocalypse.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I've been told that running a brewery is a lot of compromise between what you want to brew and what makes money.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Oct 14, 2023

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

euphronius posted:

Bathroom stories technically fit the thread title. Good job

Restocking the dispensers at work I have watched the hand towels and toilet rolls get noticeably narrower over the last year to the point that the hand towels don't work with the dispenser properly anymore and are prone to just falling out as one big stack.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Last Visible Dog posted:

If you haven't already, go into File > Options > Search and disable "Improve search speed by limiting the number of results shown" and "Show most relevant searches on top". It should get you back to a more reliable chronological search result.

What... what does it do if you *don't* click that?

Edit: I mean that sounds like the most fundamental default search behaviour ever. And it's an off-by-default option three menus deep?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Most Relevant Searches On Top is the algorithm deciding what you are really looking for and showing you that instead of showing you things that contain your search terms.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

withak posted:

Most Relevant Searches On Top is the algorithm deciding what you are really looking for and showing you that instead of showing you things that contain your search terms.

Given the thread's title, I really should have guessed.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

wash bucket posted:

I've been told that running a brewer is a lot of compromise between what you want to brew and what makes money.

There’s a master brewer goon who posted in the Work thread and he said this. Iirc it was basically one cool idea for a beer that he had to convince his bosses to let him make per three boring/ fad beers

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Laserface posted:

Windows 11 added back the "never combine, always show labels" on the taskbar, finally, after a loving year.

It was a feature since windows 7? And some people actually still had the option this entire time?

I had to buy third party software to get basic windows functionality back to where it was, and then after the update the software broke explorer.exe until I figured out how to get windows functioning enough to remove it.

Good job i guess?

windows gets shittier because microsoft has standing "go gently caress yourself" and "we are driven to produce the finest hellproducts" policies, so is outside the scope of this thread

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

There’s a master brewer goon who posted in the Work thread and he said this. Iirc it was basically one cool idea for a beer that he had to convince his bosses to let him make per three boring/ fad beers

Apparently hard seltzers are the perfect example of that dilemma. There's absolutely no craft involved in making them but they're the ultimate mix of cheap, easy, and profitable.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

DrPossum posted:

windows gets shittier because microsoft has standing "go gently caress yourself" and "we are driven to produce the finest hellproducts" policies, so is outside the scope of this thread

Microsoft gets the money for Windows when computer makers installs it on the computers, or when businesses buy cloud licenses for their employees. Since MS have already gotten their money long before the end user gets their hands on Windows, they have no reason not to turn Windows into an ad-filled data-sucking hell hole. The few people who build their own computers and actually pay for their own operating system are so few that they don't even register financially, and can go gently caress themselves according to MS.

This has been making the rounds lately https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/linux/install because Linux is no longer a threat, as Microsoft has completely decoupled OS sales and OS installs.

punct
Jan 9, 2022

withak posted:

or companies combining "relevant" and "featured" so the first page is just some ads

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Laserface posted:

Good job i guess?

Oh thank god. This has been so annoying.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

wash bucket posted:

Apparently hard seltzers are the perfect example of that dilemma. There's absolutely no craft involved in making them but they're the ultimate mix of cheap, easy, and profitable.

Same with THC drinks. Take random soft Dei k, add extract, charge markup. The cost difference between straight and hard drinks is effectively negligible.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Outrail posted:

Same with THC drinks. Take random soft Dei k, add extract, charge markup. The cost difference between straight and hard drinks is effectively negligible.

I know someone who's always looking for the latest hustle and he was telling me about his stupid new idea for a thc seltzer so thanks for letting me know why.

Still better than the cool stickers he was trying to sell, at least it messes you up.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Sentient Data posted:

The shoe dropped 40 years ago and will not hit the floor for another 150 or so years of slow, steady enshittification of everything, including the earth

Likewise capitalism will not collapse all at once but retreat both geographically and economically, until commodities are traded only by small urban populations surrounded by desperate people left to rediscover peasant agriculture the hard way. The last cars will be Rolls-Royces and the last computers will be military equipment to protect the rich and their Rolls-Royces

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 14, 2023

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
I had to use Instacart for the first time in a long time today. What in the world happened to this!

First of all, it doesn't matter what you search or how you sort it. For every 2 actual results you see, they mix in at least 4-5 Sponsored items, usually totally unrelated to what you're searching for. So you'll search Cereal, sort Lowest Price to Highest Price, and the first things you'll see is a $7 block of cheddar and some weird gourmet salad dressing.

They've also added incredibly slow-loading video ads that crash 50% of the time when you try to scroll past them.

Oh, you searched for the exact phrase "snap peas?" Sounds like you're planning on making a stirfry. Here's a bunch of stirfry sauces and ingredients. Not included: snap peas.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

What the gently caress is going on with potato chips lately? Like, the last three bags I’ve bought have been decimated crumbs and broken rear end chips with maybe two full chips out of the bag.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

You Are A Elf posted:

What the gently caress is going on with potato chips lately? Like, the last three bags I’ve bought have been decimated crumbs and broken rear end chips with maybe two full chips out of the bag.

shan't speculate as to how badly copping those bags of crumbs broke a 20 spot

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

You Are A Elf posted:

You want good chips come to PA, the spiritual home of tater chips

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I switched to the Goon Recommended Way of making popcorn once chips got dumb expensive

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Not in the US, but I haven't bought chips in ages and recently wondered into the snack aisle to discover they became more expensive than gold. It's just a potat in oil, why do you need a mortgage to buy a packet?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Grocery chain CEO’s should be tarred and feathered and sent out of their respective towns

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You're not buying food, you're buying a dopamine release from hellworld - snack dealers are drug dealers in the new world
:drugnerd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

I switched to the Goon Recommended Way of making popcorn once chips got dumb expensive

I figured out how to make decent popcorn: buy a non-lovely microwave with a humidity sensor so the popcorn button actually does something