Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Raskolnikov38 posted:

blinken might legit be the stupidest secretary of state we’ve ever had

Nah, it's Clinton with Libya by a loving Mike.

Bitch guaranteed a nuclear war down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Not sure where to ask this, but what happened to the Israel/Palestine thread? I saw a new one pop up and then close again.

edit: Oh now I see it again, weird

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 04:37 on Oct 14, 2023

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Not sure where to ask this, but what happened to the Israel/Palestine thread? I saw a new one pop up and then close again.

edit: Oh now I see it again, weird

It got moved to a GBS sub and then moved back, because haw haw funny

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

I say we hear out the guy extolling the virtues of the landed nobility. He might be on to something.

You would say this.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Zoeb posted:

I am conflicted.

Between the two sides, I'd rather Ukraine maintained its sovereignty than Russia be allowed to annex all or part of Ukraine.

[...]

You've had some replies but I don't think it's been explicitly explained that framing the conflict as Ukraine vs Russia gives an incomplete picture of the conflict. NATO has had its fingers in the pie since the very beginning. The coups. The arming of Ukraine. The movement towards NATO admittance. This is a NATO war as much and even more so than it is a Ukrainian war. Even "Ukraine" is an iffy concept when it comes to this war. Not even post-Maidan coup Ukraine wanted the aggression on the separatist regions to continue, only the Nazi brigades did. We even have video evidence, provided by Ukraine itself, of their president trying to get the shelling to stop and the Nazis telling him to gently caress off. The majority of Ukrainians did not want the things that lead to this war. Ukraine before Maidan did not want the things that lead to this war. Ukraine after Maidan did not even want all the things that lead to this war. And yet here we are.

This is not really a Russia vs Ukraine war. This is a Russia vs NATO+Ukrainian Nazi war, with Ukraine and its people dragged along to be fed into the meat grinder. Their country has been sold for pennies on the dollar to foreign capitalists to fund a war they wanted to avoid.

If Ukrainians wanted or needed this war then that would be one thing. I would easily cheer on Ukrainians defending themselves to the last against Russian aggression if that is what this war actually was and what they wanted. But in a war where Ukrainians are just caught in the middle of 2 imperialist powers clashing over them, the only thing I cheer for is the fastest path to an end for the war as is possible.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Just wanna say that the above post is good.

One thing that you might want to point out is that Russia repeatedly offered Ukraine peaceful off-ramps (Minsk II, Negotations etc.) that have been either ignored or just used to play for time. In fact some key diplomats and negotiators on the Ukrainian side got murked for not being hardline enough on Russia.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zoeb posted:

A rules based international order would hypothetically be a nice thing to have but the US has consistently undermined such an order by exempting itself from the rules, flagrantly violating those rules when they invaded Iraq and used Black sites for torture, and can't be depended upon to keep it's end of any bargain past the next presidential election where we can just revoke our end of any agreement.

ruled based international order is just a fancy word for capitalist principles being applied globally (globalization) which are enforced by economic coercion (play or die) and the literal die as we see in these small, relative to the entire system, conflicts. The shooting wars are very dramatic and eye catching tho. The economic churn of the extraordinarily wide pyramid of exploited people worldwide funnelling resources that are more and more concentrated as they meet at the top of a pyramid is way more suffering than a couple of measly wars imo

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Some good thread posting now that the attention is elsewhere

Phigs posted:

You've had some replies but I don't think it's been explicitly explained that framing the conflict as Ukraine vs Russia gives an incomplete picture of the conflict. NATO has had its fingers in the pie since the very beginning. The coups. The arming of Ukraine. The movement towards NATO admittance. This is a NATO war as much and even more so than it is a Ukrainian war. Even "Ukraine" is an iffy concept when it comes to this war. Not even post-Maidan coup Ukraine wanted the aggression on the separatist regions to continue, only the Nazi brigades did. We even have video evidence, provided by Ukraine itself, of their president trying to get the shelling to stop and the Nazis telling him to gently caress off. The majority of Ukrainians did not want the things that lead to this war. Ukraine before Maidan did not want the things that lead to this war. Ukraine after Maidan did not even want all the things that lead to this war. And yet here we are.

This is not really a Russia vs Ukraine war. This is a Russia vs NATO+Ukrainian Nazi war, with Ukraine and its people dragged along to be fed into the meat grinder. Their country has been sold for pennies on the dollar to foreign capitalists to fund a war they wanted to avoid.

If Ukrainians wanted or needed this war then that would be one thing. I would easily cheer on Ukrainians defending themselves to the last against Russian aggression if that is what this war actually was and what they wanted. But in a war where Ukrainians are just caught in the middle of 2 imperialist powers clashing over them, the only thing I cheer for is the fastest path to an end for the war as is possible.

One little thing to add- Ukrainians overwhelmingly disliked Zelenskyy before things really heated up, mostly because he ended up being as corrupt as everyone else, including the offshore bank accounts. At one point his approval rating was just a few points above 20. Certainly this varied by region, but it sets the stage.

BULBASAUR has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Oct 14, 2023

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Homeless Friend posted:

ruled based international order is just a fancy word for capitalist principles being applied globally (globalization) which are enforced by economic coercion (play or die) and the literal die as we see in these small, relative to the entire system, conflicts. The shooting wars are very dramatic and eye catching tho. The economic churn of the extraordinarily wide pyramid of exploited people worldwide funnelling resources that are more and more concentrated as they meet at the top of a pyramid is way more suffering than a couple of measly wars imo
yup

one of the greatest tricks the Western liberals did was convince people that as long as no one is directly shooting or whatever, it's all good baby. doesn't matter that we're starving tens of millions of people to death and shortening their life expectancy in half from undernourishment and no medicine and causing permanent immiseration. that's actually good and kosher: that's just capitalism bay-bee. maybe they should learn2code if they didn't want to have to wade through plasticide toxic waste to scrap old electronics for 0.00001 cents in copper or cut out their kidneys to sell.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Zelensky was literally in the Pandora Papers(!!!)

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Majorian posted:

It got moved to a GBS sub and then moved back, because haw haw funny

I'm not getting the joke.

Is this something lib thing?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BrotherJayne posted:

Yeah wtf?

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

BrotherJayne posted:

People need to chill out about critiquing material conditions and instead just post "lol" and "lmao"

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Военный Осведомитель posted:

(Click thumbnail to open video)
Кадры испытания глушителя для автоматического гранатомета АГС-17 на полигоне одного из НИИ.

Данный глушитель маскирует вспышки от выстрела, снижает его громкость и способствует рассеиванию звука, что значительно осложняет обнаружение огневой позиции расчета.

Военный Осведомитель
(from t.me/milinfolive/108517, via tgsa)

russians are testing silencers for the ags-17 grenade launchers

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Homeless Friend posted:

ruled based international order is just a fancy word for capitalist principles being applied globally (globalization)

Not quite, Russia is the same type of capitalist neoliberal hellscape as the US or France and yet its actions violated the rules-based international order. The rules-based international order refers specifically to western dominance over the world and even more specifically to the US global hegemony. The US and France can bomb Libya to rubble without violating the RBIO. Azerbajin also didn't violate the RBIO when it launched an illegal and unprovoked invasion of Nagorno-Karabakh, nor is Israel violating the RBIO by bombing the absolute poo poo out the people in Gaza. It's not capitalism or neoliberalism that determines your adherence to the rules-based international order but rather how closely you align with US interests.

Russia is certainly much less neoliberalized than the US and has resisted its resources being "globalized". However it is still a fundamentally capitalist nation, the US did us "shock therapy" to remake Russia into an ideal capitalist state in the 90s after all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Danann posted:

(from t.me/milinfolive/108517, via tgsa)

russians are testing silencers for the ags-17 grenade launchers

I demand silencers for all my grenade launchers in video games from this day on.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Starfield let's you put a silencer on a minigun.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/16e1a4y/starfield_lets_you_put_a_suppressoron_a_minigun/

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Ytlaya posted:

It's hard to even reply to that post because there are some very fundamental misunderstandings. It's like if someone showed up with opinions about the US Civil War who thought the North was materially motivated by the need to exterminate the South's deer population.
lol

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
BRB busy installing a silencer on this 5 inch naval gun I have handy.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Ytlaya posted:

It's hard to even reply to that post because there are some very fundamental misunderstandings. It's like if someone showed up with opinions about the US Civil War who thought the North was materially motivated by the need to exterminate the South's deer population.

lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

It is impressive how little people give a poo poo about that game. It has zero pull.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Ardennes posted:

It is impressive how little people give a poo poo about that game. It has zero pull.

How do you mean? It sold consoles and seems to be doing well. It's not great but it's a fun game.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

I like it

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
It's not great but its fun I guess, I say as I boot up Missile Command for the 50000th time on my Atari console.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

netizen posted:

How do you mean? It sold consoles and seems to be doing well. It's not great but it's a fun game.

For such a big release you would think there would be something that would pull a little culturally, but I just haven't heard nothing about it if I didn't hunt for it. I have heard far more about the Cyberpunk expansion, in contrast.

I mean, this is a company that used to put out giant releases; it really doesn't feel like one.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:31 on Oct 14, 2023

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Ardennes posted:

For such a big release you would think there would be something that would pull a little culturally, but you just heard nothing about it if I didn't hunt for it. I have heard far more about the Cyberpunk expansion, in contrast.

I mean this is a copy that used to put out giant releases, it really doesn't feel like one.

Idk, I like it. I guess we can wait a few years until the Starfield expansion comes out to fairly compare the two. I'm pretty sure Starfield is much much bigger than Cyberpunk in terms of net sales.

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Love talking games in the Ukraine thread.

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Ardennes posted:

For such a big release you would think there would be something that would pull a little culturally, but you just heard nothing about it if I didn't hunt for it. I have heard far more about the Cyberpunk expansion, in contrast.

I mean this is a copy that used to put out giant releases, it really doesn't feel like one.

It is that the game is so compelling that those playing it can’t even stop to post about it. A silent majority of gamers are going wild in Starfield right now

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
Anyway has Russia won yet?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

netizen posted:

Anyway has Russia won yet?

The Ukrainians are honestly look kind of hosed, it just unclear when this thing is going to resolve itself.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 08:34 on Oct 14, 2023

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Phigs posted:

Wow, shocking minimization of Ukrainian agency in this post. Just absolutely appalling stuff. Do better.

Incidentally also completely correct.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The USSR did a colonialism by using the stolen wealth residing in Europe to develop a country that had just escaped from subjugation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

The Ukrainians are honestly look kind of hosed, it just unclear when this thing is going to resolve itself.

If you look away long enough Ukraine will resolve itself. Best not to worry about it.

Akaiku
May 17, 2013

fizzy posted:

Trump was a piece of poo poo as a President because he never delivered on his promise to lock up Hillary Clinton.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Jel Shaker posted:

would have thought that seven football pitches isn’t long enough to sneak across an international border, or to require a train

Those miners still have pride in their work.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

BearsBearsBears posted:

Not quite, Russia is the same type of capitalist neoliberal hellscape as the US or France and yet its actions violated the rules-based international order. The rules-based international order refers specifically to western dominance over the world and even more specifically to the US global hegemony. The US and France can bomb Libya to rubble without violating the RBIO. Azerbajin also didn't violate the RBIO when it launched an illegal and unprovoked invasion of Nagorno-Karabakh, nor is Israel violating the RBIO by bombing the absolute poo poo out the people in Gaza. It's not capitalism or neoliberalism that determines your adherence to the rules-based international order but rather how closely you align with US interests.

Russia is certainly much less neoliberalized than the US and has resisted its resources being "globalized". However it is still a fundamentally capitalist nation, the US did us "shock therapy" to remake Russia into an ideal capitalist state in the 90s after all.

highest stage of capitalism, etc. the U.S. is the dungeonmaster of the world as we know it, they created the campaign for the entire world, so naturally they can bend the rules as they please

Cheatum the Evil Midget
Sep 11, 2000
I COULDN'T BACK UP ANY OF MY ARGUEMENTS, IGNORE ME PLEASE.
Big Israel graciously accepting the argument put forward by its Western backers that air defense missile should be prioritised to Lil Israel

https://twitter.com/GeromanAT/status/1713114383771955307#m

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cheatum the Evil Midget posted:

Big Israel graciously accepting the argument put forward by its Western backers that air defense missile should be prioritised to Lil Israel

https://twitter.com/egovictoria/status/1713117714514952696

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Homeless Friend posted:

highest stage of capitalism, etc. the U.S. is the dungeonmaster of the world as we know it, they created the campaign for the entire world, so naturally they can bend the rules as they please

the campaign started in the us, and that's where the rules were written, but it doesn't choose to do what it does anymore. it must do what it does. the us couldn't choose not to attempt to break russia or choose not to support palestinian genocide if it wanted to or it would lose the power to do anything at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zodium posted:

the campaign started in the us, and that's where the rules were written, but it doesn't choose to do what it does anymore. it must do what it does. the us couldn't choose not to attempt to break russia or choose not to support palestinian genocide if it wanted to or it would lose the power to do anything at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35DSdw7dHjs&t=99s