Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

hrm he makes a good point, we need a voice for all the obsolete categorizations of 19th century race science

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

G-Spot Run posted:

Nah one more cycle, so fed 25 potentially/likely his last

I mean it will be bloody sad to see him go, but like entirely understandable he would want to retire. Good for him.

To many people work themselves to their grave for no drat reason.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

G-Spot Run posted:

Mix of yes and no but far more yes material and posters, also south eastern suburbs of Melbourne. It's going to be a rough commentary night. It just reminds me of being a kid when John Howard won and all us kids on the train were just devastated, "how could they do this". I'll be slightly relieved if VIC says yes, one small mercy that your community is on the same side

I'm was in disbelief when we voted in Howard and more so Tony Abbot + Scomo...its as if people a lot of people don't put a lot of thought into the poo poo that actually effects them on a day to day basis, Boat People? Franking Credits?

I'd love Yes to get up but gently caress me the No voice feels like its been drowning out everything else unfortunately.

hambeet posted:

#Newspoll exit poll finds no leading 54-41 in New South Wales, 51-43 in Victoria, 65-30 in Queensland, 65-28 in Western Australia, 60-33 in South Australia and 55-38 in Tasmania.

#Financial Review exit poll has no at 52% and yes at 39%, converting to 57-43 after exclusion of the undecided.

I always thought WA was alright but they hosed up with that recent Land law they reversed here right?

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

hrm he makes a good point, we need a voice for all the obsolete categorizations of 19th century race science

Can't wait to see how the Phrenology First candidate measures up

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

BrigadierSensible posted:

Not even of the candles on his cake??

You are an objectively bad uncle.

No sausage candles either smh

E:

Capt.Whorebags posted:

Can't wait to see how the Phrenology First candidate measures up

lol

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

BoonyPC posted:

I'm was in disbelief when we voted in Howard and more so Tony Abbot + Scomo...its as if people a lot of people don't put a lot of thought into the poo poo that actually effects them on a day to day basis, Boat People? Franking Credits?

I'd love Yes to get up but gently caress me the No voice feels like its been drowning out everything else unfortunately.

I always thought WA was alright but they hosed up with that recent Land law they reversed here right?

Never underestimate how easy it is to get people to vote selfishly for something they don't actually understand.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

BrigadierSensible posted:

Sikhs?

My dad says that even The Indian Voice (bullshit rag they hand out in indian grocery stores)has officially come out in favour of YES

Probably. It's a Sikh area but I'm too ignorant of all the dress codes to say for sure.

More anecdata - went through balmoral today and the yes lady said they had really strong numbers at least.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
No camp how to vote guy was wearing an Australian flag suit jacket, and about a 50-50 split between Yes and No placards/volunteers.

Absence of sausage sizzle, disappointing. In and out in 10mins tho, was good. Gave the Yes dude a thumbs up, he looked tired.

The Divine Orator
Dec 31, 2008

Getter into the Future, Ryouma-Chan~
No sausage sizzles anywhere I've worked today but I did have a nice T4T solidarity moment chatting with a young trans guy when he voted so it could be worse all things considered

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Based purely on anecdotal experience I am unfortunately very confident it will be a no because of how many progressive-ish people I know seem at best unenthusiastic, I reckon there will be a ton of “silent” no voters who just don’t even care to understand it and don’t see what’s being achieved. It’s not even that they are swayed by misinformation, they don’t even care to engage with it to any extent. Time poor, politically apathetic, stressed about money, housing and climate change. Confident enough of them will default to no and that’s gonna be it when you add them to all the racists/misinformed/insane/idiots/conservatives. This failed as soon as it lost bipartisan support, Dutton and others went full post truth Trump on just adding confusion and outright lies, and unfortunately that works.

Edit: if I just compare this to the plebiscite and the amount of active campaigning that went on there it’s night and day in terms of viability of campaigners and passion for the cause.

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde
What's a good resource for keeping tabs on the counting...?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Prediction: Yes 36%, No 63%.

Place you bets everyone.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Cable Guy posted:

What's a good resource for keeping tabs on the counting...?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/elections/referendum/2023/results?filter=all&sort=az&state=all&party=all

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I predict 35% yes, 65% no

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

bee posted:

I predict 35% yes, 65% no

yeah that feels about right to me sadly

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
I reckon it'll be closer to 45-55, with 50% of states so it'll feel like a cliffhanger.

e: Linda Burney already made a concession post

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Dead empty at my polling place. Maybe people here think it’s voluntary. Or just cant be hosed.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Wow, Tasmania called for No.

e: And NSW now, it's cooked.

Recoome fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 14, 2023

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Walked 2 minutes to the local school this arvo and got my vote done in under 5 minutes.

Sadly it already looks all but over for Yes :(

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Sausage sizzle at my polling place in Moreton electorate. I had a dude vote before me and he was wearing brown slacks, RM Williams, a boring rear end button up white collared shirt with vertical stripes and an Akurbra hat. He brought his toddler daughter along and she was wearing a Yes vote t-shirt. Completely unsurprising.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Bring back ATSIC and this time give them machine guns

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
man these results are something. i'm sure antony's doing the math on this, but it looks like almost all the undecideds (as of the last polls) went No, and some Yes voters switched too.

like tasmania was allegedly 55/45 to yes as of a week ago, according to a couple of polls.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

First polling coming in for QLD, overwhelming No.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

0.0% counted

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
ACT is 20% counted and 65% yes.

Everywhere else, yeah not so good. :(

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

gently caress the rest of the country, the ACT secedes.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

SA is called for No, the referendum does not pass.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Captain Theron posted:

gently caress the rest of the country, the ACT secedes.

:hmmyes:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Green just called it

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
It’s over

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yeah Vics the next closet and it's only at 47% with 1/4 counted. Like it could still make it over, depending on where's been counted and what not, but yeah the referendums done for alas.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Status quo it is

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Not surprised at all (unfortunalty)

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Lidia looking chuffed on the ABC

butthold
Apr 5, 2009
gently caress Australia

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
gently caress Australia and all us cunts living here.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
:negative:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Recoome posted:

Status quo it is

This will not result in the status quo. Racist fuckwits are going to use it as an excuse to be even more overtly racist fuckwits.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I'm sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
That was even quicker than I expected. At least voting was easy: I crossed the oval to the school and joined the queue while avoiding the people handing out stuff at the front. Not a sausage or cake to be found.