Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Thanks both!

Cease to Hope posted:

i love the big creepy monsters striding through the idyllic fields of flowers

I like that sort of mismatch it gives and there's just something that feels very 40k about bad things happening to nice places - not every planet can be Armageddon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When using a wet palette, how long does it take for your paints to dry out when it's left uncovered? Mine seem to dry up after a few hours and I don't know if that's usual or if I should try new baking paper (yes it's unwaxed parchment paper)

Edit: few hours to be is about 7-8 with it uncovered and filled with water 99% of the way to the top of the sponge

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Oct 14, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'll have 2-3 hour painting sessions and never will my paint dry on the palette, more likely that it would get too thin for me depending on what paint and what I'm doing. I use the army painter palette with their foam and paper.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'll have 2-3 hour painting sessions and never will my paint dry on the palette, more likely that it would get too thin for me depending on what paint and what I'm doing. I use the army painter palette with their foam and paper.

I have been having a heck of a time keeping my paints from getting too wet using that same thing

It works pretty great on the whole, but I really need to figure it out because it's super annoying lol

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I struggle to keep mine wet. Standing water around the edges of the foam, dots of paint I pull from and thin with water. I am in California though so I am right on the tail end of summer where it was constantly triple digits out so probably just a climate thing, maybe I need a humidifier in my painting room.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

I may be about to pick up a paintbrush for the first time in around eleven years. Has paint moved on much in that time? Am I missing out much by digging out my box of old Citadel (some very old) and Coat D'Arms rather than getting a new range?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Muir posted:

They'll never unseat Citadel, but if they dramatically increase their quality in one leap like they're claiming to, they've already got the market presence to push out others like Pro Acryl, and to make a decent go at Vallejo especially with some of the latter's recent distribution issues.

Between the quality increase, being able to buy a full set, dropper bottles, triad system, and the SpeedPaint 2.0 style shade and intensity descriptions on the bottles...I'd replace my Citadel pots with this in a heartbeat.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Roller Coast Guard posted:

I may be about to pick up a paintbrush for the first time in around eleven years. Has paint moved on much in that time? Am I missing out much by digging out my box of old Citadel (some very old) and Coat D'Arms rather than getting a new range?

there's a lot more competition, and some of it is really great. (particularly pro acryl, a british store's store brand, and two thin coats, duncan rhodes's brand.)

there's a new kind of paint, contrast paints. (that's citadel's name, every other brand has their own name for it.) they're halfway between a wash and a glaze, creating a smooth translucent color on high points and flat surfaces while pooling a more opaque color in recesses. the main use for them is as an easy painting method.

citadel has revamped their line several times in the meantime so you may find some colors are discontinued or changed, but there are lots of equivalency guides if you look.

coat d'arms is still fine.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 14, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Just thin them.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if your white paint was citadel do yourself a favour and buy a new one - vallejo model color white is good, pro acryl bold titanium white also gets a great rep. that citadel white was probably garbage when you bought it and it will almost certainly be unusable by now

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
just buy a tube of titanium white from an artist line. i bought a 60ml of Liquitex heavy body titanium white on sale for less than what a citadel pot costs

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I actually regret salvaging some of my old Citadel paints because I discovered I love how Liche Purple blends as a midtone over deep purple and every alternate colour I can find for it is off slightly and my brain hates it

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Theres always going to be a new hotness in paints, but if your old paints were fine a decade ago, they will be fine now (if they havent dried out). The only really big development you've missed (I'm not counting "paint company comes out with more paints which they say are better than their old ones" as a big development) is the release of contrast paints/speedpaints/Xpress paints (different names, different brands with slightly different behaviours but the same general concept). Just go on youtube and put "contrast paint" or "speedpaint 2.0" in the search, you'll find a million videos of someone doing an insufferable 3 minute skit then showing how they work. Basic concept is "paint over a white undercoat with one coat and it replaces basecoat and wash (and possibly highlights depending on the paint) in one". though there are other uses/tricks you can do with them. Good tool to have, but nothing wrong with sticking to basecoat, wash and highlight with regular paints either.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I'm a sucker and those AP paints look pretty dang good

If anyone sees any word from non-affilated painters or get any personal experience with the paints, please share

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Little techmarine action to prep for the new Iron Hands Wolves

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Finally got started on my Alberto competition entry. Two weeks deadline should be motivating.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Spanish Manlove posted:

When using a wet palette, how long does it take for your paints to dry out when it's left uncovered? Mine seem to dry up after a few hours and I don't know if that's usual or if I should try new baking paper (yes it's unwaxed parchment paper)

Edit: few hours to be is about 7-8 with it uncovered and filled with water 99% of the way to the top of the sponge

My paints thin out too much to be usable as anything but washes within 30 minutes and are dry on the paper within an hour. "A few hours" is pretty good by comparison, lol.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Devorum posted:

Between the quality increase, being able to buy a full set, dropper bottles, triad system, and the SpeedPaint 2.0 style shade and intensity descriptions on the bottles...I'd replace my Citadel pots with this in a heartbeat.

Oh, I don’t mean that they won’t be better than Citadel in terms of quality, I’m just talking about market share.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
black templar painters, how do you guys get the gold/bronze chest piece? the website lists brass scorpion, but i always get way darker results when using it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

My Spirit Otter posted:

black templar painters, how do you guys get the gold/bronze chest piece? the website lists brass scorpion, but i always get way darker results when using it.

My recipe for a dirty gold / bronze:

P3 blighted gold or Scale75 Necro gold
Agrax wash, or sepia wash or a fleshtone wash. Depends on the overall color goal.
Layer the base back on any flat areas, leaving some shadows and variety with the wash
AK bronze highlight on upward facing areas (can sub something like retributor armor or a lighter equivalent)
AK old gold edge highlights (can use any bright gold for this step)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Spanish Manlove posted:

My recipe for a dirty gold / bronze:

P3 blighted gold or Scale75 Necro gold
Agrax wash, or sepia wash or a fleshtone wash. Depends on the overall color goal.
Layer the base back on any flat areas, leaving some shadows and variety with the wash
AK bronze highlight on upward facing areas (can sub something like retributor armor or a lighter equivalent)
AK old gold edge highlights (can use any bright gold for this step)

i appreciate ya. i want try this with auric armour to get a lighter colour, but auric armour is kind of a bitch to get on

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

My Spirit Otter posted:

https://eavy-archive.com/40k/space-marines/

BT are first, but they list the brass for that cool Chaplain. You can probably find something similar to what you want among the other chapters.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

My Spirit Otter posted:

i appreciate ya. i want try this with auric armour to get a lighter colour, but auric armour is kind of a bitch to get on

Lightly stipple auric armor over another gold as a highlight and it'll look super shiny but have a lot of depth to it and look way more interesting than just pure auric armor then a wash

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I just put some gunmetal down, then brass, then gold, and then drybrush silver.

Vallejo Gunmetal
Vallejo Brassy Brass
Pro Acryl Rich Gold (though I used to use citadel Retributor)
Vallejo Silver

If I remember, I wash before the drybrush with some druchi violet.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Finished the celestian sacresant my fiancee was kind enough to let me paint!

First time trying flame and any kind of source lighting, both for the blue orbs and the candles. Turned out alright considering I didn't go on youtube for a guide, just improvised based on pictures from infinitely better painters!

Any critique or tips are welcome as always

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Learned to properly use masks to digibash a colour scheme for my "Azrael"

I considered using chaplain colours for all of my senior characters (I applied it to my Apothacary Biologis rather than have a white dude among all my bone white dudes) but I *think* I'm going this way, quite like the black robe, helps it look like someone besides Azrael and I don't know if I can make a full purple one look good.

Here's the other scheme anyway; Don't know why my bone colour looks so much like Milkybar.

What do we think?

Side note; Watchers In The Dark are depicted as having little Dark Angels power armor feet which goes unremarked upon. Should mine have those green feet or is it fair to assume other Unforgiven Chapters get their own weird little four-dimensional space gremlins?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nazzadan posted:

I struggle to keep mine wet. Standing water around the edges of the foam, dots of paint I pull from and thin with water. I am in California though so I am right on the tail end of summer where it was constantly triple digits out so probably just a climate thing, maybe I need a humidifier in my painting room.

Are you sure yours is completely flat? I had a couple wet palette start to warp from something and if it's not completely flat the middle won't be wet at all and the sides will have puddles.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Chill la Chill posted:

Are you sure yours is completely flat? I had a couple wet palette start to warp from something and if it's not completely flat the middle won't be wet at all and the sides will have puddles.

Relatively sure, I think it's just evaporating very quickly. Tonight I topped it off before starting this Raptor and multiple times I had to use a syringe to grab some water from a clean glass and keep refilling the edges until it was standing water again.

Speaking of, finished this Raptor and really happy with it for the time/quality ratio. Still not getting the lightning as good as I'd like, but we'll get there by the 10th member of the squad I'm sure.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Nazzadan posted:

Relatively sure, I think it's just evaporating very quickly. Tonight I topped it off before starting this Raptor and multiple times I had to use a syringe to grab some water from a clean glass and keep refilling the edges until it was standing water again.

Speaking of, finished this Raptor and really happy with it for the time/quality ratio. Still not getting the lightning as good as I'd like, but we'll get there by the 10th member of the squad I'm sure.

Yeah, you might want to invest in a humidifier next to your painting area. Your humidity must be really low/temps really high

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Will do, I'll make that my next hobby purchase

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

I've got the new Redgrass pallete and it keeps my pants wet for several hours open and for a couple of weeks sealed.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Quoting for posterity.

Goddamit. I'm leaving it.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 15, 2023

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Devorum posted:

I've got the new Redgrass pallete and it keeps my pants wet for several hours open and for a couple of weeks sealed.

Quoting for posterity.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Devorum posted:

Thinking of upgrading from my Tupperware lid

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Nazzadan posted:

Love these guys!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

If anyone prints their own minis, Humble has a bundle of STLs in a Norse fantasy theme. https://www.humblebundle.com/software/dungeon-monsters-3-3d-printable-tabletop-bundle-software

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

"sand cat" from iliada games. https://www.wargamevault.com/product/450108/SANDCATS
needs a base, still figuring that one out. also dont think i like the black trim around the cockpit

also painted a battlemech

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Very cool

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Little techmarine action to prep for the new Iron Hands Wolves

Very cool. l've always loved the Tech Wolf's slushy dispenser gun and wolfy claw arm.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

i love the mechwarrior dark age vibe, really gives the feeling of industrial vehicles hastily turned into technicals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AndyElusive posted:

Very cool. l've always loved the Tech Wolf's slushy dispenser gun and wolfy claw arm.

he's such a small king compared to some primaris guys which I'll get better pictures of the new guy later: