Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Imo the initial attack by Hamas garnered Israel q bit of sympathy because it could appear to be unprompted. Israel has since squandered all such sympathy with their violence.

That sympathy relies on a refusal to engage with the actual history of the region. The facts of the situation don't matter: our friends and neighbours are seeing a campaign of collective punishment and ethnic cleansing and cheering it on. Even friendly media organizations can hardly disguise how evil the acts committed by Israel are in their regular reporting.

I can only assume this is just settler-colonists the world over having each other's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Honest Thief posted:

btw has zizek shat a turd out of his mouth about the international order and what not yet?

zizek should stick to rating philly cheesesteaks and impromptu hobo jamborees because he looks like exactly the kind of person I'd want to go to for that kind of information

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Honest Thief posted:

btw has zizek shat a turd out of his mouth about the international order and what not yet?

:smuggo: where is the hero of the left now?

They will never forgive him for clowning on Jordan Peterson despite us never acknowledging him doing anything else good

Rectal Death Adept posted:

zizek should stick to rating philly cheesesteaks and impromptu hobo jamborees because he looks like exactly the kind of person I'd want to go to for that kind of information

This is valuable information, let's not give the man undue credit. As an aside, what does a planned hobo jamboree look like? Who prints the invites for that?

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Honest Thief posted:

"both sides actually"

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/israel-palestine-hamas-and-hardliners-against-peace-by-slavoj-zizek-2023-10

quote:

In any case, it is not hard to see that both sides – Hamas and Israel’s ultra-nationalist government – are against any peace option. Each is committed to a struggle to the death.

And apparently Israel is in danger of becoming a theocratic state!

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Karach posted:

Theocracy was the best government type in Civ 2 and not an option in subsequent games so I don't blame them

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Karach posted:

"both sides actually"

https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/israel-palestine-hamas-and-hardliners-against-peace-by-slavoj-zizek-2023-10

quote:

Hamas and Israeli hardliners are two sides of the same coin. The choice is not one hardline faction or the other; it is between fundamentalists and all those who still believe in the possibility of peaceful co-existence. There can be no compromise between Palestinian and Israeli extremists, who must be combatted with a full-throated defense of Palestinian rights that goes hand-in-hand with an unwavering commitment to the fight against anti-Semitism.

Utopian as this may sound, the two struggles are of a piece. We can and should unconditionally support Israel’s right to defend itself against terrorist attacks. But we also must unconditionally sympathize with the truly desperate and hopeless conditions faced by Palestinians in Gaza and the occupied territories. Those who think there is a “contradiction” in this position are the ones who are effectively blocking a solution.

:ok:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Dokapon Findom posted:

Theocracy was the best government type in Civ 2 and not an option in subsequent games so I don't blame them

In Alpha Centauri terms, have they taken Fundamentalist or Police State?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

fits my needs posted:

huh, interesting, al jazeera english live coverage is now featuring bits of international news again and is no longer constant coverage.
the arabic version still is tho.

Some Aljazeera teams have been stopped from broadcasting, iirc.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Karach posted:

In Alpha Centauri terms, have they taken Fundamentalist or Police State?

Has to be Police State. Fundamentalist gets a bonus to probe teams, and we now know Israeli intelligence absolutely loving sucks at its job.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

for a good version of Žižek's argument, John Ganz makes a much more persuasive case, with far more human and genuinely egalitarian impulses, ultimately naively placed, in my opinion, but at lease I can respect this position.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dokapon Findom posted:

It's the best tier 2 government in Civ 6 if you're running any kind of faith strategy.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I may not agree with some of you on other views, but this specific conflict is pretty clear and obvious who the genociders are.

Have you considered that maybe us being the only remotely sane people on this topic might mean we aren't crazy on other topics either?

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Why must we support Israel's right to defend itself exactly? Did we "support" the right of Nazi Germany or Apartheid South Africa to defend themselves because they're sovereign states or smoothing? Don't we want to actively encourage attempts to dismantle those racist, genocidal power structures? I don't want the state of Israel to "defend" itself, I want them to capitulate, to surrender, to be defeated. I want that government to collapse to make room for a more humane one, I don't see why I have to preface any of that with support for the state of Israel defending itself because that's a ridiculous assertion.

Give up, lose, gently caress off and disappear as a unified governing body. Don't loving defend yourself, lay down your arms and wave that white flag.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
per AJE reporter, apparently the israeli soldiers currently have high morale and are ready to go in and 'give some payback' to hamas.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

webcams for christ posted:

for a good version of Žižek's argument, John Ganz makes a much more persuasive case, with far more human and genuinely egalitarian impulses, ultimately naively placed, in my opinion, but at lease I can respect this position.

It is still misleading, if not transparent. Hamas isn't doing what it is doing out of a sense of "nationalism" but for the simple reason for the Palestinian people to exist, period. Hamas is extreme because it is clear moderation serves no purpose beyond simply defeat and eventual annhilation; look at Fatah.

If there was a path for Palestinians at all through moderation, there may be some point, but it is clear there is none. Palestinians in the West Bank are simply being squeezed into smaller and smaller ghettos while the PA being internal collaborators.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/vicderbyshire/status/1713111853214147021

:qq:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Pictures of aid convoys piled up in front of the Rafah crossing.
The residents of #غزة need this aid. Spread this clip widely so that the world knows that Israel is depriving 2 million Palestinians of receiving humanitarian aid... and that Egypt and the Arabs will not delay in coming to the rescue of their brothers in Gaza.
https://x.com/sameh_asker/status/1713092107357782161?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

OK, when will the convoy be bombed involved in a bomb-related explosion?

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM
give every single israeli a million dollars and a free house in texas, then restore palestine to its rightful owners

thank you, i will accept my nobel peace price now

edit: its rightful owners are the ottoman empire

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Verus posted:

give every single israeli a million dollars and a free house in texas, then restore palestine to its rightful owners

edit: its rightful owners are the ottoman empire

This is genocide

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Verus posted:

gently caress that. Give every Palestinian a million dollars, kick out the Israelis, and make them move back to New Jersey/Brooklyn where most of them came from.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Good morning. Another day dawns in America and our staunchest ally is still free.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/UNRWA/status/1713163309568925929?s=20

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The UN tried sending a strongly worded plea to the genocidal maniacs, and they didn't listen! How could they do such a thing?!

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

"Wars have rules" no just the one: you either win, or you lose

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

FlapYoJacks posted:

The UN tried sending a strongly worded plea to the genocidal maniacs, and they didn't listen! How could they do such a thing?!

I agree. Wish Hamas had listened.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I had no idea the UN, the Red Cross, and Medicins Sans Frontiers were all tankies

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

it’s not an uncommon belief to think that jews only returned to palestine after ww2, knowing that jews had peacefully coexisted with muslims and christians for centuries is truely mind blowing for some people, so for them it really it if israel is destroyed then by definition jews have to come back to europe

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

I agree. Wish Hamas had listened.

Can Hamas issue a fatwa against you? Please?

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

webcams for christ posted:

this is the part that seems naive to me:

quote:

My interpretation remains that Hamas fully intended to provoke the most terrible possible response from Israel: their hope seems to be that Israel will commit such a massive atrocity in response that it will lose international legitimacy. All the sympathy that Jews as a people and the support Israel as a project receive as a result of the Holocaust will be erased or at least badly damaged. Every antisemite in the world will be able to say, “See, they are just as bad, stop listening to them complain, maybe they have it coming.” This would be the beginning of the end for Israel. After all, despite its military prowess, if remains a small nation, dependent on the support of bigger powers for arms and ammunition. If that goes, it is a trap, a prison, just another forsaken stretch of sand not unlike Gaza.
some of the reasons this is probably wrong is because it's not like the saudi-israel deal or saudi-UAE deal is dependent on sympathy for israel as a result of the holocaust. MBS doesn't strike me as someone motivated out of humanist concerns. saudi troops murder refugees with grenade launchers. when has israel even cared about "international legitimacy" anyways? that seems like a very U.S.-centric concept, when what seems to actually matter in the world is relationships of power (which is also how the U.S. acts).

another reason it's probably wrong is that israel's dependence on the U.S. for arms can also be a weakness. it makes them lazy, compliant, and reliant on their air force (which seems to be where a lot of U.S. aid goes into, along with iron dome) to bomb gaza and sit behind walls, and the troops guarding those walls become predictable, and that makes them vulnerable. if they try to enter, hamas knows exactly where they're going to enter.

meanwhile, hamas sits behind that barrier too and can build command & control systems, and a military structure, which they can't do in the west bank. they have tunnels underground that the israeli army can't reach. this is the paradox or contradiction: the barriers that seal gaza off from israel constrained israel too. they can't just drive into the gaza strip in a jeep and grab a guy for smuggling in an RPG. they could drop a bomb on his head, but that's a very U.S. way of doing things, but you can't really see everything from up there.

from a strictly military point of view, israel would probably have been less vulnerable to that raid if it ditched the big wall, stopped relying on all the gizmos, and just had all the frontier kibbutzim armed to the teeth so the people could shoot back instead of running into their safe rooms, which hamas could deal with by just setting their houses on fire. then you have a bunch of soldiers patrolling, and they change how they do it every few days, and even some days they don't patrol at all. but they've become addicted to this american tech and these concepts that are designed to freeze the situation instead of accepting the constant flux of the environment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1aHYOyRphE

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 13:34 on Oct 14, 2023

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/Beltrew/status/1713124289514176795?s=20

dti

Joss Laypeg
Oct 11, 2007
A psychotic is a guy who's just found out what's going on. - WSB
Apart from that, Mr Netanyahu, how was the trance festival?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Joss Laypeg posted:

Apart from that, Mr Netanyahu, how was the trance festival?

It looked like a lot of fun before the unprovoked attack. :shrug:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Proportionality should be a guideline in war, otherwise the war is not just

An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth. Hammurabi knew this!

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Ardennes posted:

It is still misleading, if not transparent. Hamas isn't doing what it is doing out of a sense of "nationalism" but for the simple reason for the Palestinian people to exist, period. Hamas is extreme because it is clear moderation serves no purpose beyond simply defeat and eventual annhilation; look at Fatah.

If there was a path for Palestinians at all through moderation, there may be some point, but it is clear there is none. Palestinians in the West Bank are simply being squeezed into smaller and smaller ghettos while the PA being internal collaborators.

the fact anyone can consider it extremist to stand up and fight to prevent your own genocide is disgusting to me.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
it isn’t the nationalism that bothers libs it’s the militant part

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A "friend" of mine was being very clever with his rhetoric: "I'm not anti Muslim; I'm anti HAMAS. They're terrorists!". I know the answer is "they had no choice because they're an oppressed people", but is there a good article somewhere that can explain, in simple terms, why Palestinians voted for Hamas?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A "friend" of mine was being very clever with his rhetoric: "I'm not anti Muslim; I'm anti HAMAS. They're terrorists!". I know the answer is "they had no choice because they're an oppressed people", but is there a good article somewhere that can explain, in simple terms, why Palestinians voted for Hamas?

Wasn't the last election in 2006? Half of Gaza are children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

think about how much spite factors into American politics; then consider how that applies when the enemy isn't your dipshit uncle at Thanksgiving but the military that's forced you into the world's largest concentration camp