Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the key to pears is smelling the pear butthole.
put the bottom of the pear right up to your nose and sniff. if it smells strongly of pear, it is ripe, buy it. if you don’t smell anything it is not ripe yet, keep huffing pear asses until you find a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i should call her

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

polyester concept posted:

your mom makes me bulgogi

my mother in law makes loving incredible bulgogi

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

shitface posted:

pears are great for cooking but for eating fresh there's always a better apple

pears have a lower glycemic index

mystes
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

then why are they so chubby at the bottom?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mystes posted:

then why are they so chubby at the bottom?

Same reason as with Muums.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

3D Megadoodoo posted:

you know also has a low glycie indie?

ice cream

mystes
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Same reason as with Muums.

Is that different from a moomin?

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

echinopsis posted:

glycie indie?
Peak kiwi

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

echinopsis posted:

you know also has a low glycie indie?

ice cream

Which is exactly why I am blasting my way through a carton right now

It's about fitness

fitt'n'diss ice cream in my mouth

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

mystes posted:

Is that different from a moomin?

Nothing much, what's a moomin' with you?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Seriouspost: I managed to buy a pear so big that I got bored of pears in general while eating it. Now oranges is my friend.

i dont blame you. big pears are poo poo

a small pear once in a while is ok

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

the key to pears is smelling the pear butthole.
put the bottom of the pear right up to your nose and sniff. if it smells strongly of pear, it is ripe, buy it. if you don’t smell anything it is not ripe yet, keep huffing pear asses until you find a good one.

gonna try this w my parents pear tree and be like "what? someone on the internet says i should do it"

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

we have a peach tree and an apple tree. both are mediocre for their kind, but the peaches are way better than the apples (as is appropriate)

it may be the case that i've Never Really Had A Good Apple i guess, but i doubt it. i've been to a lot of gardens and farms :shrug:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i think there are some pretty great apples tbh tho taste is obviously subjective. ime the best apples are crazy fragrant too, like pull a couple out and suddenly the kitchen is redolent with apple smell before you even cut into one

anyway do you cook with them? i think even mediocre apples and peaches often taste pretty good in something

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

my parents are all in on having a wild yard, it owns.

its pretty small, like 7k sqft incl the house, but iirc 3 apple trees (1 is belle de boscoop, 2 is some heritage best for baking, 3rd i forgot but it has a name), 1 pear (prob heritage), 2 cherry (one dying but the new one has been taking over big time), 1 hazel nut, 1 fig (rarely in season in dk), blackberries, strawberries, plus herbs and flowers, gotta be at least 50 kinds growing there

and you can tell cause insects and birds love it. no matter the time of your you have so many sounds and calls :kimchi:

e: oh poo poo also grape vines, that they make some very middling but free wine from lol

e: tomatos, cucumbers, chilis, onions, leeks, elderberry

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 13, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah that's what we do with em. well, the peaches. ms j was gonna cook with the apples but then never got around to it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i hate our fig tree. it's leaning against the planter wall halfass held up by twine and will definitely ruin it. i think ive finally convinced ms j that it'd be better to take it out and put a not-lovely tree in its place (im rooting for avocado)

it makes so many figs. the flies love them. we do not really eat figs, so while i do like the birds a lot, there's not really a lot of upside to this tree. plus, as mentioned, it's going to fall over and take the planter wall with it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

i hate our fig tree. it's leaning against the planter wall halfass held up by twine and will definitely ruin it. i think ive finally convinced ms j that it'd be better to take it out and put a not-lovely tree in its place (im rooting for avocado)

it makes so many figs. the flies love them. we do not really eat figs, so while i do like the birds a lot, there's not really a lot of upside to this tree. plus, as mentioned, it's going to fall over and take the planter wall with it.

grass is always greener i guess

i'm actually kind of mad you have crazy fresh figs in ur yard and are just like, meh, gently caress it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

my parents are all in on having a wild yard, it owns.

its pretty small, like 7k sqft incl the house, but iirc 3 apple trees (1 is belle de boscoop, 2 is some heritage best for baking, 3rd i forgot but it has a name), 1 pear (prob heritage), 2 cherry (one dying but the new one has been taking over big time), 1 hazel nut, 1 fig (rarely in season in dk), blackberries, strawberries, plus herbs and flowers, gotta be at least 50 kinds growing there

and you can tell cause insects and birds love it. no matter the time of your you have so many sounds and calls :kimchi:

e: oh poo poo also grape vines, that they make some very middling but free wine from lol

e: tomatos, cucumbers, chilis, onions, leeks, elderberry

yeah thats what we do, not counting the big beds we put in with herbs and veg out front, we've got 3 pawpaws, a quince, black raspberries, huge blackberry cane, 1 and a half cherry trees, a plum tree, some alpine strawberries, and then there's the big garden in the back

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh if it werent about to fall over i'd be happy with it. if you have any ideas on what to do with the figs please lmk. i've eaten a couple and they're just kinda whatever - not very flavorful. idk if we have a lame varietal or if that's just how figs are.

like i also don't really eat the apples very much but i like the tree a lot. the orange tree is my bff, and the lemon tree will also be my bff when it grows a bit

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
an old pal has a gigantic pear tree and every year it bears like 13 trashcans worth of fruit he can never get rid of it all

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mediaphage posted:

yeah thats what we do, not counting the big beds we put in with herbs and veg out front, we've got 3 pawpaws, a quince, black raspberries, huge blackberry cane, 1 and a half cherry trees, a plum tree, some alpine strawberries, and then there's the big garden in the back

hell yea

well the grass part is like idk 200 sqft i would guess, they just have all kinds of poo poo growing there.

so many insects and birds, makes me feel less bad about what windshields used to look like (i still feel bad but you know)

id say the only downside is wasps when we're out grilling but theyre maybe 2-3 over an evening so we can usually get rid of them before they call their friends, plus the murgliders and swallows are p good at keeping them down

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

oh i forgot about the saturn peaches but we don't get any because of the fuckin squirrels which sort of makes me lament that city squirrels probably taste like rear end

Carthag Tuek posted:

hell yea

well the grass part is like idk 200 sqft i would guess, they just have all kinds of poo poo growing there.

so many insects and birds, makes me feel less bad about what windshields used to look like (i still feel bad but you know)

id say the only downside is wasps when we're out grilling but theyre maybe 2-3 over an evening so we can usually get rid of them before they call their friends, plus the murgliders and swallows are p good at keeping them down

yeah we have people on our street who complain about the lack of insects but then i just look at the signs showing their lawns were sprayed with poo poo and like

anyway yeah we have an insane amount of life in our yard, it's meaningless in the grand sense but it's really gratifying nonetheless

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

mediaphage posted:

yeah we have people on our street who complain about the lack of insects but then i just look at the signs showing their lawns were sprayed with poo poo and like

anyway yeah we have an insane amount of life in our yard, it's meaningless in the grand sense but it's really gratifying nonetheless

lol ya my parents neighbor mows the lawn like thrice a week and complains about insects and clovers and whatnot & my parents are like we told you 50 times already, if you really want a spotless lawn just let the grass grow and kill almost whatever else, then you can cut it. hes the tabloid reading type tho so they just gave up on that subject after a while

afaik they do not actually get insects over there and thus way less birds, which is probably a plus for them

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

oh if it werent about to fall over i'd be happy with it. if you have any ideas on what to do with the figs please lmk. i've eaten a couple and they're just kinda whatever - not very flavorful. idk if we have a lame varietal or if that's just how figs are.

like i also don't really eat the apples very much but i like the tree a lot. the orange tree is my bff, and the lemon tree will also be my bff when it grows a bit

one common thing ive seen and enjoyed is to make a pizza or flatbread with a base of caramelized onions, figs, proscuitto, a little optional cheese, bake and then finish with arugula and a heavy drizzle of a reduced balsamic

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah fig + prosciutto pizza is great

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that sounds very sweet/sugary w the onions + figs

not sure i can handle them both when i already got maize corn on there

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

that sounds very sweet/sugary w the onions + figs

not sure i can handle them both when i already got maize corn on there

what

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that sounds like a good use for some figs. not sure it'll scale

...but im ok trying to make it do so :henget:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

a p deece six and a half figs?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

figs are sweet, onions are sweet, corn is sweet

whats not hard to understand

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

that sounds like a good use for some figs. not sure it'll scale

make the rest of the figs into jam and spread it on cheese and a bread product like when u do charc at home

Achmed Jones posted:

...but im ok trying to make it do so :henget:

:getin:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

we had a fig tree by our driveway in California and it was fun to pick and eat them. less fun to track fig goop into the house from the ones crushed on the driveway, though

figs are good grilled, in case that helps

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

last time we had good figs, mom put them in a rum jar in the cellar and they were fantastic on icecream for two years

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mediaphage posted:

i think there are some pretty great apples tbh tho taste is obviously subjective. ime the best apples are crazy fragrant too, like pull a couple out and suddenly the kitchen is redolent with apple smell before you even cut into one

anyway do you cook with them? i think even mediocre apples and peaches often taste pretty good in something
tarte tatin is a s-tier dessert

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Achmed Jones posted:

every fig contains a wasp. they get stuck inside pollinating it and broken down by the plant. so I guess figs are not vegetarian.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

knox_harrington posted:

every fig contains a wasp. they get stuck inside pollinating it and broken down by the plant. so I guess figs are not vegetarian.

false

i eat wasps way more often tahn i eat figs

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

not all fig varietals pollenate that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

knox_harrington posted:

They contain a wasp like someone who's not a vegetarian contains a herd of cattle