Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

eighty-four merc posted:

Boots Riley’s I’m A Virgo on Amazon Prime is explicitly about this very subject and it’s really good. I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but it’s worth repeating

Right, I'll check it out, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Marsupial Ape posted:

The only inconsistency I don’t like is that it seems random-rear end if someone has super strength/durability included with their signature power or not. Starlight already has her electricity/light deal, which is awesome…but she can tank a .50 cal? Jordon can shapeshifter between genders…but can tank Goldenboy and shoot force waves?

I know it’s all for plot convenience, but it’s noticeable.

Jordan's power (which they lampshaded early as being "too confusing") seems to be that the male body absorbs power which the female body can then project.

In the first episode, Jordan switches to male to absorb the bullet and tank hits from Luke. They switch to female and start Hardokening, but now get thrown around.

Otherwise, I agree with the invincibility distribution being weird, especially with stuff like Butcher somehow knowing he could beat Mesmer to death in a bathroom.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Did anyone parse what was going on in the sex scene early on in the episode? The girl had a hole in her back that was leaking out jizz? It wasn't clear to me.

Nice HJO look-alike for the Mesmerized TV show.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Did anyone parse what was going on in the sex scene early on in the episode? The girl had a hole in her back that was leaking out jizz? It wasn't clear to me.

I think the guy had a power to make his hand vibrate and she had a back orifice as a superpower. It wasn't leaking, it was squirting because she orgasmed.

They were... legacy admissions.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Avasculous posted:

Otherwise, I agree with the invincibility distribution being weird, especially with stuff like Butcher somehow knowing he could beat Mesmer to death in a bathroom.

Mesmer was who I was thinking of when I made that comment, in fact. He definitely wasn’t sink proof.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Mesmer was who I was thinking of when I made that comment, in fact. He definitely wasn’t sink proof.

Maybe he specifically got a light-or-nonexistent dose of toughness, and he was one of the more well-known TV supes so people knew more about his powers? It seems like the sort of thing they'd use on a TV show, the protagonist is a wonder boy who can solve any crime but he's still threatened by dangerous situations.

So regarding this last episode, does it actually make sense for Kate to be the one who was mindwiping everyone? I don't have the attention span to find out for sure, but it feels like she's been involved in stuff with the main crew that she wouldn't have gone along with if her job was to keep them from finding out about the basement labs. Didn't she rescue Andre from the stairwell down there a couple episodes back? Feels like she should have mindwiped him then and there, no?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Phenotype posted:

So regarding this last episode, does it actually make sense for Kate to be the one who was mind-wiping everyone? I don't have the attention span to find out for sure, but it feels like she's been involved in stuff with the main crew that she wouldn't have gone along with if her job was to keep them from finding out about the basement labs. Didn't she rescue Andre from the stairwell down there a couple episodes back? Feels like she should have mindwiped him then and there, no?

tbh Cate was probably too busy seizing at the time.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
Show still good, but this particular episode felt tonally different than the previous episodes. They pulled the e-brake and slid into psychological teen horror about missing time. The first two-thirds felt like a pilot for another show I would watch, too.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Emotions and everything, but it is surprising how dumb the guy with telekinesis is physically restraining the guy with the ability to mess with your mind when he's up close to you.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

kdrudy posted:

Emotions and everything, but it is surprising how dumb the guy with telekinesis is physically restraining the guy with the ability to mess with your mind when he's up close to you.

He got baked in an earlier scene, didn't he? The show does lean a little heavy on the "these idiots are always stoned" crutch to explain their rash and poor decisions. At least he's a pot head. Could you image a telekinetic coke fiend?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Maybe he specifically got a light-or-nonexistent dose of toughness, and he was one of the more well-known TV supes so people knew more about his powers? It seems like the sort of thing they'd use on a TV show, the protagonist is a wonder boy who can solve any crime but he's still threatened by dangerous situations.

So regarding this last episode, does it actually make sense for Kate to be the one who was mindwiping everyone? I don't have the attention span to find out for sure, but it feels like she's been involved in stuff with the main crew that she wouldn't have gone along with if her job was to keep them from finding out about the basement labs. Didn't she rescue Andre from the stairwell down there a couple episodes back? Feels like she should have mindwiped him then and there, no?

Actually explains why Kate is in the stairwell in the first place. But she's super against anyone exploring the woods.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

srypher posted:

I feel like the school comes off looking super incompetent after this episode? Dean Shetty seemed pretty confident everything w/ the mystery gang figuring poo poo out was handled but they pretty quickly and repeatedly figured it out again

She's not an educator, she's a corporate fundraising flunky. To that sort, if something isn't presently a problem, then it's not a problem until it becomes one again. She's not even fully dedicated to what they're doing in the facility because she's made it clear that exploiting her capital/commodities is her first and foremost priority.

Vought is the textbook example of what happens if Amazon, Apple, Lockheed-Martin, Nestle, and Monsanto merged into a comically-evil megacapitalist business hydra. It's The Empire from Star Wars, so focused on making itself bigger that it can't and doesn't care about dust mites biting at its metaphorical toes.

The only thing that annoyed me this episode is that it seemed like Jordan was very close to logically working it out that Cate was behind Marie's 'emergency wipe,' but they didn't let them figure it out and win "okay, so they're the smart one" points - they could've still had the scene with Emma and Sam.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 13, 2023

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Not sure why Cate hasn't mind controlled the dean to get up to speed. 'Tell me everything' and then 'forget you told me everything'.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

kiminewt posted:

Why do they keep sending groups of mooks with assault rifles after Sam (or any other supe) when they know with great accuracy what they're capable of?
Also, did they forget about the "frequency that can only be heard by Supes" thing?

They also sent a security team with guns to kidnap Ryan from Homelander, so maybe this is just how Vought downsizes.

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Did anyone parse what was going on in the sex scene early on in the episode? The girl had a hole in her back that was leaking out jizz? It wasn't clear to me.[/spoiler]

Sperm whale + squirting orgasm. I think her power is to transform partially or fully into animals.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Outrail posted:

Not sure why Cate hasn't mind controlled the dean to get up to speed. 'Tell me everything' and then 'forget you told me everything'.

I think the new theory is that the Dean has some kind of mind control/persuasion powers herself.

I also like how this show covers how you can't just "engineer" perfect amnesia, even with superpowers.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Oct 14, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
The Dean’s super power is hugging emotionally stunted people when they are in a moment of crisis.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Marsupial Ape posted:

The Dean’s super power is hugging emotionally stunted people when they are in a moment of crisis.

I'd pay a days pay for an actually comforting hug tbqh

Novasol posted:

Sperm whale + squirting orgasm. I think her power is to transform partially or fully into animals.

Wait, so they had just been in a threesome with her when he woke up? I'm dense so thread may have covered that already.

E: bolded instead of spoilered

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Oct 14, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Wait, so they had just been in a threesome with her when he woke up? I'm dense so thread may have covered that already.

Huh?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
When they woke up there was mucus/cum/whatever dripping on his face. It'd obviously been blown onto the ceiling from the bed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

When they woke up there was mucus/cum/whatever dripping on his face. It'd obviously been blown onto the ceiling from the bed.

Ohhhhhhhh, I think it was seeping through the floor above them.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

PostNouveau posted:

Ohhhhhhhh, I think it was seeping through the floor above them.

Based on the visual evidence, I'm quite confident you'd need well over her (their?) ejaculation capacity to produce enough jizz to seep enough through the floorboards to produce that effect.

E: also, what the hell kind of animal blows chunks out of their blowhole anyway? This episode raises more questions than it answers and I hope it becomes plot-central.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 14, 2023

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
This is the X-Men we deserve.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kdrudy posted:

Andre's not got pure TK, he's Magneto.

a seagull
Apr 11, 2007

Outrail posted:

Based on the visual evidence, I'm quite confident you'd need well over her (their?) ejaculation capacity to produce enough jizz to seep enough through the floorboards to produce that effect.

E: also, what the hell kind of animal blows chunks out of their blowhole anyway? This episode raises more questions than it answers and I hope it becomes plot-central.

What an amazing universe, to lead to such questions.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

a seagull posted:

What an amazing universe, to lead to such questions.

I hope there is a table top role playing game, one day.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

Only he's not smart enough to realize he can manipulate the iron in people's blood because all he knows is what his father told him HE could do, and his father's in on it or a reluctant game-player.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

I totally missed that, been reading it as TK the whole time so far.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Marsupial Ape posted:

I hope there is a table top role playing game, one day.

Oh poo poo, one of the folks in my RPG group loves superhero games, specifically Champions. Like, to the point that telling him 'Let's do Champions but it has to be the Voughtverse' might be a pitch he'd actually go for.

I call dibs on playing Love Sausage.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

kdrudy posted:

Yeah, maybe I missed a more explicit explanation, but it was only when they talked about his dad's sobriquet being "Polarity" that it clicked for me. So I totally get it.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

kdrudy posted:

Same.

Goddam, these kids would be heavy hitters if they weren’t so stoned and addled by constantly maintaining a media safe public persona. If there is ever a revelation that social media and celebrity culture in the Voughtverse was engineered from the bottom up specifically to keep supes from becoming cognizant of what their actual potentials, I want to say I called it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I straight up thought it was telekinesis as well, it never really occurred to me that every single time he moves anything it was metal :doh:

Edit: This also explains why he was able to sense exactly where in the statue of his dad the phone was, God I'm stupid.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I was thinking up a post about the viability with a future storyline's "doomsday threat" being Compound V being pumped into the water supply. I am, indeed a water plant operator, and it only took me a second to realize where the optimal inject point would be in my plant. I'd just take the Compound V up stairs, park it next the fluoride injection pump, pull its feed line out of the fluoride day tank and put it in the Compound V barrel. Wouldn't even have to reprime the fucker, just meter the pump to the proper mls/minute.

Ok, yeah, so now I understand why it looks sketchy from the outside.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
That actually brings up a hanging plot thread from Season 3; Neuman's daughter. Pretty much everyone gets injected as a baby but we know Kimiko and her brother were older when they got the V shot. We know the work at Sage Grove seemed to be focused on adults getting the shot so what is the age cut off point? Seems like age factors into how powerful your abilities might be. What happens if they shoot up some senior citizen?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
For that matter, has there very mention of a person being exposed to Compound V by way of environmental contamination? I remember it the comics there was mention of unplanned supes who had gotten exposed via ground water contamination. I think the TV Vought would be freaked out by the idea of 'wild' supes. They appear to have a pretty tight cradle to grave system for creating, grooming, and then exploiting superhumans. Randos popping up because they grew up down stream from a Vought meat packing plant or some poo poo. Just a little V in the dairy cows, just enough to increase milk out put by 1.4%.

It'd be loving hilarious if Vought's agri-business side had been using Compound V in fertilizer and stock feed for decades. Nobody over in the Entertainment and Supes divisions got told because Vought is a corporate behemoth.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i know some people think the puppets have been a bit overused but i thought the scene with puppet sam murdering all those dudes was hilarious.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
A supercut from Reddit foreshadowing the twist. It's obvious in hindsight

https://reddit.com/r/TheBoys/s/rB5pqg4x6o

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Thundercracker posted:

A supercut from Reddit foreshadowing the twist. It's obvious in hindsight

https://reddit.com/r/TheBoys/s/rB5pqg4x6o

Yeah, it was obvious from the first episode or two. The show was never gonna have a rapist hero.

Edit: Did anyone feel fairly mixed feelings for Cate when she was talking about being sexually assaulted by Rufus in the past? Like obviously what happened to her is bad -- and unlike the redditor above I believe her story because I've got no good reason not to -- but she's already openly committed multiple cases of sexual assault herself just this season. Rufus is clearly a piece of poo poo, but Cate's confession just made me dislike her even more than I already did. There's something really scummy about a rape victim who rapes people.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Oct 14, 2023

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Kaddish posted:

With regards to dick explosion, it seems supes
all come with some degree of strength, toughness, and healing factor. Some more, some a lot more, and some less.

I've taken it that basically a vast majority of people get some blend of super speed/strength/toughness or one of those three with a minor bump to the other two. It seems like it's also fine and serves well as the standard stock "Dover, Delaware" level hero franchised out to mid level or lower cities. People with more interesting powers ( unique... or lovely ) obviously seem to find a niche elsewhere or luck out and have AAA potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I like Dusty, who is seems to have no discernible powers outside a condition where he stopped aging at 12~, but graduated 4 years ago and now just throws parties for teenagers.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 14, 2023