Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Best of the current crop of fringe stuff is What We Do In The Shadows for me.

What We Do In the Shadows has had some incredibly bonkers episodes and I love it.

I think part of the problem is that there's a certain craft to writing traditional sitcoms that no longer exists. A lot of writers want to work on other things because multicam sitcoms aren't as respected as they once were, and are limiting because they're meant to be performed like stage plays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

mojo1701a posted:

What We Do In the Shadows has had some incredibly bonkers episodes and I love it.

I think part of the problem is that there's a certain craft to writing traditional sitcoms that no longer exists. A lot of writers want to work on other things because multicam sitcoms aren't as respected as they once were, and are limiting because they're meant to be performed like stage plays.

Is anything fictional still filmed before a live studio audience

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Grassy Knowles posted:

late night chat shows where the host acts like they're humble and charming

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The best part of rewatching Are You Being Served? is hearing the horrible raspy 70s smoker coughs from the audience.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

mojo1701a posted:

This is a huge part of it. I don't think a lot of those writers get the credit of working through one of the greatest sitcoms of all time for ten seasons and then rolling straight into one of the other greatest sitcoms of all time.

I've gone back and started the show from the start for the first time in probably over a decade. It's good from the start, but Season 1 really kicks it up with the Christmas episode at about the midway point. You get a great episode with Lilith too where they manage to wring some pathos out of her, along with the gag that Daphne is suffering from a "psychic headache" because she's in town.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Grassy Knowles posted:

yes, podcasts

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

GolfHole posted:

yes, podcasts

this is a joke tho

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was 16 when the show went off the air and I was much too ignorant of a child to bother with a show like this. So it was a bit of a thrill to see new episodes at about the same time as everyone else. I have to admit, I sat there with a stupid smile on my face the whole time. Be pretty naive to expect Ski Lodge quality episodes but there were plenty of laughs for me, especially weighed against the general quality of, oh, basically all forms of television and film being excreted in recent times.

The David character is pretty bad, but plenty of runway to be redeemed. I'm not torn up over the englishman and the other Harvard lady, but their jokes weren't all bad. There were flashes of good writing, the last line in the second episode was well done I thought.

I really had low expectations, but I'm hopeful now for the rest.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Octy posted:

I'm only about five minutes into the first episode but it's certainly different from the original series... Was the laugh track always so obvious?

The last 10 minutes is getting a few chuckles out of me, though, so that's something.

I remember it standing out really bad in the first episode too, thinking that I couldn't watch any more if it was that terrible. Pretty sure they dial it down from the absurd levels it starts at.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
The first episode was kind of rough. There’s a lot of story being packed in there, and when things slowed down, the quality improved. Frasier standing in the door to block David from being pushed out was funny.

The second episode worked better. I really enjoyed Frasier speaking metaphorically, and sounding like he killed his son to the reporter.

I’m happy that they’ve let Frasier be wrong and make mistakes, but they haven’t turned him into a horrible heartless monster.

It is B tier Frasier. Better than season 10, but it’s not amazing. But it could be much worse.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
So three votes so far and no one is overwhelmingly positive??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I started this thread six odd years ago because I was drinking vodka and watching Frasier because it was something I could black out to without any adverse effects. And I kept drunk posting things about Frasier in other threads even when it wasn't appropriate. So I wanted to create an isolation chamber where I could drunkenly say things about Frasier. I never thought there would be a reboot. Never ever. I'm scared. I've already said I'm scared but I am. Who wanted the reboot? Why does it exist??

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So far it’s a standard mostly likable multi camera laugh track sitcom that happens to have Frasier Crane in it. Hoping it can get better, but it’s not bad so far (once you get past the clumsy first half of the first episode).

They just need to tone down the laugh track. The laughs are fine, but I can do without the applause, the hooting and hollering, and the “awwwwwwww”s

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

OldSenileGuy posted:

So far it’s a standard mostly likable multi camera laugh track sitcom that happens to have Frasier Crane in it. Hoping it can get better, but it’s not bad so far (once you get past the clumsy first half of the first episode).

They just need to tone down the laugh track. The laughs are fine, but I can do without the applause, the hooting and hollering, and the “awwwwwwww”s

When Kelsey first appears and they break out into massive applause, I thought that was a bad touch. I appreciate the audience response, but it also takes you out of the moment the way a good laugh track doesn’t. A good laugh track gives the ambience of a play, but when you push it too far, you end up being reminded it’s a TV show.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
I think I would have liked the show more if it wasn't about these existing characters. As it is, a lot of the information given about them doesn't make any goddamn sense when looked through the lens of Frasier/Cheers. Like, how did Frederick, the delicate, non-athletic, lonely and fussy boy who used to observe other children's play pattern for fun, become such a ... dude? With Frasier and Niles, it was said they took after their mother, but Freddie's mom is even more of a stuffed suit than Frasier. He only met his granddad a few times a year, so how can Martin have been such a big impact on his personality?

And professor what's-his-name, who's supposedly been one of Frasier's closest friends from his days in Boston, why has he never been mentioned or seen on either Cheers or Frasier? Hearing that dude talk about Niles and Daphne like he knew them was incredibly jarring.

And David feels like a bad impression of Niles at his most cartoonish. I guess the idea is that he's a Niles-clone with Daphne's "big heart," but I think that's not doing either of David's parents justice. Daphne had a personality too, and Niles was always more than just his foibles.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Still Fluxing posted:

I think I would have liked the show more if it wasn't about these existing characters. As it is, a lot of the information given about them doesn't make any goddamn sense when looked through the lens of Frasier/Cheers. Like, how did Frederick, the delicate, non-athletic, lonely and fussy boy who used to observe other children's play pattern for fun, become such a ... dude? With Frasier and Niles, it was said they took after their mother, but Freddie's mom is even more of a stuffed suit than Frasier. He only met his granddad a few times a year, so how can Martin have been such a big impact on his personality?

And professor what's-his-name, who's supposedly been one of Frasier's closest friends from his days in Boston, why has he never been mentioned or seen on either Cheers or Frasier? Hearing that dude talk about Niles and Daphne like he knew them was incredibly jarring.

And David feels like a bad impression of Niles at his most cartoonish. I guess the idea is that he's a Niles-clone with Daphne's "big heart," but I think that's not doing either of David's parents justice. Daphne had a personality too, and Niles was always more than just his foibles.

I could understand Frederick, since people grow and change all the time. It would be nice to have a little bit more, but you know. The other option is Freddie could have gone full goth and stayed there.

David is definitely a weak link. Niles worked because he was an intellectual foil and equal to Frasier, and could hold his own against him, but was also a ridiculously uptight person who was terminally uncool but lovable in a dorky way. David feels like a less funny Sheldon. I feel like they gave him Niles’ absurdities without his gravitas, and so you just have this ridiculous character. You respected Niles at the end of the day, which allowed us to laugh at how neurotic he was. I don’t really respect David.

As for the Professor - I’m fine with him not being mentioned. Like, Frasier never mentioned a brother and said his father was dead on Cheers. I can accept that we’ve never seen him and that he was busy doing something else.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

David feels like a less funny Sheldon.

Easy now, lets not say things we cant take back. You cant subtract from zero.

You kinda get the feeling that Kelsey demanded 90% of the casting budget and thats why there isn't a familiar face in the bunch. I'm not all that fond of this professor and you feel like there are plenty of established septuagenarians who would have been more charming as Frasier's old friend. One of my standout moments from the original is Frasier meeting with his old professor and their exchange (how would you know?) and Frasier's eventual breakdown. Imagine, oh, a John Lithgow in that role. And make him someone more respectable than what we've been shown so far.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Who wanted the reboot? Why does it exist??

I'm guessing Frasier wanted it. What's he worked on lately? Money Plane was the most recent I remember and that came out in 2020. gently caress feels like those memes were only a year ago.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a sort of morbid curiosity to watch that poo poo just cause he's in it. Hell, I started watching Frasier because Sideshow Bob was my favorite Simpsons character.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
You should absolutely watch Money Plane.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

money plane.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

I love bad movies and was very excited to see Money Plane, but unfortunately it legitimately sucks in every possible way and has no redeeming qualities. Not bad in a fun way, just really, really bad. He's also like barely in it, you'll see way more of the Lawrence brothers, which nobody asked for

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Don't listen to this joker. Go watch Money Plane and forget your troubles.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Money Plane is easily better than any "Frasier" episode with Daphne's mom.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

have there been any tossed salads or scrambled eggs in this reboot yet?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Mercy.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

have there been any tossed salads in this reboot yet?

Sir, please, this is network television

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

codo27 posted:

Easy now, lets not say things we cant take back. You cant subtract from zero.

You kinda get the feeling that Kelsey demanded 90% of the casting budget and thats why there isn't a familiar face in the bunch. I'm not all that fond of this professor and you feel like there are plenty of established septuagenarians who would have been more charming as Frasier's old friend. One of my standout moments from the original is Frasier meeting with his old professor and their exchange (how would you know?) and Frasier's eventual breakdown. Imagine, oh, a John Lithgow in that role. And make him someone more respectable than what we've been shown so far.

Um please don’t badmouth Rodders

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Marenghi posted:

I'm guessing Frasier wanted it. What's he worked on lately? Money Plane was the most recent I remember and that came out in 2020. gently caress feels like those memes were only a year ago.

Not ruling that out, but it seems clear enough to me. The original has had a pretty steady reputation, and even if it didn't, the real question is always "What's stopping us from rebooting this IP?"

In the lead-up to this, it sounded like Grammer wasn't on board for a while, but I'm guessing they kept driving more and more dump trucks full of money up to his house until he said Yes. And I can't really blame him, I mean it's just a job at the end of the day.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I mean, what IS a boy to do?

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
they were honestly a lot better than I was expecting, maybe it was just low expectations. I see the point on some things being out of character, Fraser not understanding the Fenway dirt etc. but the characterisation mostly worked for me.

I could see Freddie as the type of kid who has a glow up as a teenager and is embarrassed about his nerdy past so he overcompensates and goes full Marty when he’s actually somewhere between Marty and Frasier.

Niles kid was the weak link but honestly we didn’t get to see much of him so I’ll give it a chance.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
i don't know what sepinwall was talking about, i honestly didn't have any problem with the Fenway dirt plot point or see it as being out of character at all

Yes fraiser was very close with Sam Malone, but:

a) that was a lifetime ago
b) even if frasier can understand why a box full of dirt from a baseball game would be important to a meathead like Sam Malone, it's totally in character for him to be befuddled at why his son would place value in something like that - one could go so far as to say it's even part of the plot showing how frasier still doesn't understand that the version of freddy he has in his head is not the same as the real person he's become

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was expecting the dirt to be from 9/11

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

i don't know what sepinwall was talking about, i honestly didn't have any problem with the Fenway dirt plot point or see it as being out of character at all

Yes fraiser was very close with Sam Malone, but:

a) that was a lifetime ago
b) even if frasier can understand why a box full of dirt from a baseball game would be important to a meathead like Sam Malone, it's totally in character for him to be befuddled at why his son would place value in something like that - one could go so far as to say it's even part of the plot showing how frasier still doesn't understand that the version of freddy he has in his head is not the same as the real person he's become

Yeah, and it’s not like Frasier was consistent as a character between Cheers and Frasier. He became a lot more uptight. Ken Levine talked about it on his blog where he came back to write an episode in season 4 - where Lilith and Niles are in a hotel room - and he struggled at first because the character changed a lot. But then he and his writing partner were like “gently caress it, we’re writing him like he was on cheers” and they didn’t change much.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Cemetry Gator posted:

Yeah, and it’s not like Frasier was consistent as a character between Cheers and Frasier. He became a lot more uptight. Ken Levine talked about it on his blog where he came back to write an episode in season 4 - where Lilith and Niles are in a hotel room - and he struggled at first because the character changed a lot. But then he and his writing partner were like “gently caress it, we’re writing him like he was on cheers” and they didn’t change much.

Was very surprised to learn that the Bioshock guy also wrote for Frasier, and then very disappointed when I looked it up.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Was very surprised to learn that the Bioshock guy also wrote for Frasier, and then very disappointed when I looked it up.

Honestly, this guy and David Isaacs wrote for MASH and Cheers and the Simpsons and Frasier. And Mannequin 2. And for AfterMASH.

Look they’re not all winners!

They’re the only two people to write for Frasier in every show he has been in (unless you count this as a new series), since they wrote the episode of Wings with Frasier in it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Marenghi posted:

He was the villain in a Transformers movie and got shot, fully justified, by Optimus Prime.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was shot in the face by a robot now a truck?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The show is, to my surprise, ok. Frasier’s buddy doesn’t need to be as broad-brush as Daphne because the internet and the continuing fading of the UK as an important country has made the distance between Americans and us a lot less.

The important thing is that it still has heart. The writers convey caring about how people are to each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When is Frasier going to pull out a gun and threaten someone?