Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Aviendha's feet got blown off or whatever because Perrin can't hurt someone with breasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Hessalam was able to continue loving with the great captains' minds, leading to most of them loving dying

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

At least Mat never had a second thought about shanking a woman that’s trying to kill him.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Remember that time some guy exploded into beetles and Perrin was like "they're just normal beetles"?

Ok that was funny but also lmao this guy "MY WIFE"ed so hard he didn't care that the world was falling apart

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Invalid Validation posted:

At least Mat never had a second thought about shanking a woman that’s trying to kill him.

what, Mat has like an entire PTSD meltdown about killing his Darkfriend fuckbuddy and is constantly haunted by Tylin's death to the Gholam which he blames himself for.

All of the Emond's Field boys have serious hangups w/r/t violence and women.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Perrin's whole plotline was great, it included such highlights as:

*Wolf uncle does a racism against his wife
*That racism is just real and some women just need to be yelled at
*Worst friend competition between Perrin to Gaul or Perrin to Aram
*Why not just shove Masema through a gateway? Or just kill him immediately?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Zore posted:

what, Mat has like an entire PTSD meltdown about killing his Darkfriend fuckbuddy and is constantly haunted by Tylin's death to the Gholam which he blames himself for.

He also felt bad about that escaping Seaurchin lady he had his two archers murk.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

JavaJesus posted:

It's really disappointing, but it definitely felt like Sanderson had already fully made up his mind about the show and didn't bother giving it a chance to speak for itself. Like, he complained about Nynaeve's stuff (which is admittedly fair to some extent) and concluded with "why is she in this show", completely bypassing the idea that this is only season two out of (a planned) eight and it's entirely possible that that's her intended arc. It's that same lack of even attempting to think forward for half a second that made me fall off of watching Daniel Greene's stuff before tonight's video made me try again. Basically right up until season 2 started airing, Greene had been complaining about the lack of color in the weaves without even stopping to consider that the show, as a visual medium, was going for a visual progression of the weaves gaining color as our protagonists learn about channeling. It's really frustrating to see people who should be providing really good insights into the show and what it is and could be doing just completely give up from the word go.

Green went from being pretty cool a few years ago to being an arrogant awful YouTuber when he started going hard on covering anime and writing his own fantasy.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

pik_d posted:

Remember that time some guy exploded into beetles and Perrin was like "they're just normal beetles"?

Ok that was funny but also lmao this guy "MY WIFE"ed so hard he didn't care that the world was falling apart

Honestly that was a really good scene. Most of the 'Perrin fucks around with a haunted village' scenes during the Faile chase are.

The bubbles of evil are a fun way to have little short form horror stories just pop up.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Perrin "it's just a weave" Aybara

"It's just a woman" *shanks Hessalam*

pik_d posted:

Perrin is responsible for Rhuarc's death.

pik_d posted:

Aviendha's feet got blown off or whatever because Perrin can't hurt someone with breasts

pik_d posted:

Hessalam was able to continue loving with the great captains' minds, leading to most of them loving dying

To say nothing of 9/10 the armies of the Light because of their fuckups

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

He also felt bad about that escaping Seaurchin lady he had his two archers murk.
well he won't have to order her killed in the show at least

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Nihilarian posted:

well he won't have to order her killed in the show at least

Because the show won't last that long?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Because the show won't last that long?
because she's already dead

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Perrin was my favourite character through the first four books and just about claimed it back in ToM. I feel like he'll end up better served in this because the Emond's Field arc will have to stretch out to cover his absence in TFOH, the Shaido plot can be reduced to 1 season, the Masema/Aram stuff can be juiced up to cover for it and then you hurtle into the Whitecloaks material. And most importantly, they can strip out all the worst poo poo in the Perrin/Faile relationship.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

pik_d posted:

Perrin's whole plotline was great, it included such highlights as:

*Wolf uncle does a racism against his wife
*That racism is just real and some women just need to be yelled at
*Worst friend competition between Perrin to Gaul or Perrin to Aram
*Why not just shove Masema through a gateway? Or just kill him immediately?

Don't forget his most thrilling plot line: spending literally seven thousand pages thinking exactly repeated thoughts about that one guy he met in a barn that one time for five minutes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

BigHead posted:

Don't forget his most thrilling plot line: spending literally seven thousand pages thinking exactly repeated thoughts about that one guy he met in a barn that one time for five minutes.

I don't think it was 7000 pages

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
11898 pages in the books according to the first Google result. I estimated. You're right it was probably more like 10000.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nihilarian posted:

Book Perrin is good through the return to two rivers and from forging the king's hammer onward and his entire story in between those two events could get completely thrown out and I would say good riddance

I like the talk he had with Faile afterwards where she's like "erm hey dude you managed to basically forge refugees into an army, strike an alliance with your enemies, hold everyone together and crush the Shaido and you somehow think you're a fuckup"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I like the talk he had with Faile afterwards where she's like "erm hey dude you managed to basically forge refugees into an army, strike an alliance with your enemies, hold everyone together and crush the Shaido and you somehow think you're a fuckup"

The moments that the story lets Perrin and Faile have like an actual conversation are really good in general and do a decent job of showing how/why they're a couple.

Faile in general is really tough because in some ways she's on the cusp of being one of my favorite characters in the series. She's the most 'normal' person POV we get because unlike all the others in the top 20, she never gets any super powers and having that kind of perspective is used really well when the characters are in Tear or Cairhein. Like I also think how she handles dealing with the nobles who betrayed Rand to the Aes Sedai for Dumai's Wells was a really great character beat! Its just she gets fuckall to do for a bunch of books and the bullshit with Berelain and relationship drama with Perrin sucks.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 14, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

yeah she's very human which is probably why she grates on so many people

her whole bit to olver is really wonderful too 'it shouldn't be you, but there is no one else'

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hughmoris posted:

i think it's entirely acceptable to consider shooting someone in the back a bit iffy

he was absolutely right to do it but i don't think i'd feel great about it either

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Faile is awful because she is effectively a plot device with just wildly inconsistent behavior instead of a coherent character. I can’t even remember the full takedown that someone posted years ago but it’s on the mark. She has individual scenes that are fine, but string them all together alongside the very not fine scenes and it’s just a mess.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Zore posted:

He feels bad, but still did the necessary. Mat would have killed Graendal and felt bad about it afterward. Perrin didn't, and a lot of people died because of it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Mat literally says "never again, even if it kills me." In fact Perrin kills Lanfear lol

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Apparently there's some contention about Lanfear being dead.

Also just finished Ep4 with my wife who hopped up and down and screamed "I KNEW SHE WAS SUS AS gently caress" when the whole lanfear/selene reveal was happening.

Also my wife has so little respect for Liandrin that she refuses to call her by her name and I gave her "Sister Strong Jaw" as a replacement. However she refuses to say "Sister' because she wants absolutely no relation to be implied with her.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Nihilarian posted:

In fact Perrin kills Lanfear lol

Except he doesn’t, since word of Jordan/Brandon is that Mierin is wandering around after the series, pining for her lost love Lews?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

He breaks her neck on page and i guess sanderson said she faked her death or something. It didn't happen in the books so i don't give a poo poo

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

And thats not really the important bit anyway. Perrin commited to killing Lanfear and believes he did so. Only a flimsy retcon changes that.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Nihilarian posted:

Mat literally says "never again, even if it kills me." In fact Perrin kills Lanfear lol

He says it...then later orders a woman killed because he knows it needs to be done.

We all know that Mat famously never thinks or says one thing while doing a completely different thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Apparently there's some contention about Lanfear being dead.

Also just finished Ep4 with my wife who hopped up and down and screamed "I KNEW SHE WAS SUS AS gently caress" when the whole lanfear/selene reveal was happening.

Also my wife has so little respect for Liandrin that she refuses to call her by her name and I gave her "Sister Strong Jaw" as a replacement. However she refuses to say "Sister' because she wants absolutely no relation to be implied with her.

When I watched 2x02 with a friend once it was done he was like "That lady is from the past and this is some kind of sex revenge thing against Lews Therin, I'm calling it here."

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also I noticed this time around that not ONCE does Selene do a single work on screen. Even Dana the Darkfriend was chopping pigs feat and poo poo. Selene just drinks and lounges and the inn just works.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Also I noticed this time around that not ONCE does Selene do a single work on screen. Even Dana the Darkfriend was chopping pigs feat and poo poo. Selene just drinks and lounges and the inn just works.

The show kind of implies, intentionally or not, that Rand is literally her only customer and he seems to do all of his own housekeeping because he's using the inn as a makeshift apartment. Also she has insane Elder Magic, she can make all sorts of poo poo happen with a wave of her fingers. I'm sure every question can be answered with "Lanfear made someone's head explode" for all the ontological whys and how's of her inn's operation.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

CainFortea posted:

None of my show-watcher friends can keep any of the names straight (seriously tho, Lan is three letters, wtf people) but I have them all trained on sister strongjaws

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CainFortea posted:

That can be passed off as brevity for the sake of running time. Like, you don't need to show someone constantly doing chores if you know they're a servant - they can be having their conversations in their five minute break and you only film the interesting part. What actually gives it away is that as you say, everyone else has conversations while doing their job.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

You know I just realized Lanfear probably pretended to be a Tavern Owner/Worker because that is what Egwene was at the start of the series when she and Rand were hooking up.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

You know I just realized Lanfear probably pretended to be a Tavern Owner/Worker because that is what Egwene was at the start of the series when she and Rand were hooking up.

Oh yeah I called that right away.

And y'all misunderstand me. I wasn't complaining about it I think it's a small tell early on and I think it's great. It is entirely on brand for her to not do any of the actual work and use weaves or other forms of skullduggery to trick everyone to thinking she is actually an innkeeper.

Obviously she has hired help, you can see someone clean down a table behind her when Rand is asking about the wine. She also makes mention of the other tenants after Rand burns down the inn

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just assumed she walked into an inn and told everyone she owned it now and they all agreed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The end of TGS is so cheesy but so good :unsmith:

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

CainFortea posted:

Why? She's got a channeler collared and she's wearing the bracer.
Can't be in 2 circles at once. She's already in a circle with Renna, which Renna is leading.

Isn't it explicit in the books that damane can't touch any a'dam, not just their own, without being overcome with pain and nausea? Otherwise damane could all free each other once the sul'dam take off the bracelet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Yes but it's also explicit in the books that damane don't have a choice to channel, but in the show its more like the a'dam is only really to link and cause pain. How else could Egwene refuse to channel at the end of the episode before the tower gets blasted?

E: Isn't there a scene in the show where Egwene tries to touch the bracelet and her arm gets twisted back?

E2: as to the issue of damane freeing each other, I think if you extrapolate out then yes, it would be a real issue for the Seanchen. But, think about the Seanchen culture and history, to the Seanchen the idea of not collaring a channeler is unthinkable, and we even have book examples of collared damane voluntarily returning to their sul'dam. The concept of a damane freeing another just isn't something Seanchen would think of because to them, it would never happen.

Overall, while I get why they gave Egwene more agency in her escape, I don't really like the change from a book story perspective. I do accept it as a show story thing, though.

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 14, 2023