Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Just seems like an odd decal.

AITA for showing up at an animal rescue with my fiancé after the person there said I was unfit to adopt a dog?

One of those stories where I feel like something is missing, like op said or did something that would warrant this treatment. It's always possible Jessica is just a horrible shelter employee but they're usually eager to free up space. Also if they refused to adopt to this specific person I don't see them letting the dog go on a technicality just because op got one over on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

you can leave salted buttter at room temp for, like, days or weeks.

also a butter keeper with water in it will keep air out.

When butter goes rancid it's because the fats in it are being oxidized. That's why I keep my butter in a bell jar under a blanket of argon gas

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

That's ... not specific at all.

I do get that it's generally safe, but it's safer in the fridge and having softer butter immediately just isn't that big of a deal especially when you have to give up counter space and keep yet another specialized appliance in the kitchen clean. I need a butter bell like I need herb shears or a vegetable spiralizer.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sagebrush posted:

When butter goes rancid it's because the fats in it are being oxidized. That's why I keep my butter in a bell jar under a blanket of argon gas

The international metric standard stick of butter.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Shifty Pony posted:

Dog adoption person was fighting the good fight at first to keep a husky out of an apartment but then let it get personal.

OTOH they cleared the OPs fiance and they didn't say if Kendra told them anything different. Combining that with the "you look like someone who would hurt a dog" I posit that racism is in play.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Malachite_Dragon posted:

OTOH they cleared the OPs fiance and they didn't say if Kendra told them anything different

I would bet my nipples that Kendra did, in fact, tell them something different.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Malachite_Dragon posted:

OTOH they cleared the OPs fiance and they didn't say if Kendra told them anything different. Combining that with the "you look like someone who would hurt a dog" I posit that racism is in play.

Could also just be that Kendra didn't tell them "Oh yeah I'm gonna keep a husky in a tiny apartment but we're tooooootally moving somewhere better soon."

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I'm just not inclined to side with Jessica :shrug: I agree huskies are not apartment dogs, but she should've stuck to that as the reason. Getting personal with appearances makes me doubt that's all there was to it.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's ... not specific at all.

I do get that it's generally safe, but it's safer in the fridge and having softer butter immediately just isn't that big of a deal especially when you have to give up counter space and keep yet another specialized appliance in the kitchen clean. I need a butter bell like I need herb shears or a vegetable spiralizer.

having soft butter right there is a game changer actually

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

The goon way is to go through enough butter it never has time to go bad.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Kuiperdolin posted:

The goon way is to go through enough butter it never has time to go bad.

toast and an egg every morning takes care of that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just consider butter a cooking ingredient and not a condiment

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

And you have my sympathy

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I posit that was made up. Lotta weirdos get to adopt dogs.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bored posted:

Really depends on the adoption place. We had to have a home visit, background checks and a meet and greet between our current dog and the new one to adopt our baby girl. All of which made me love the adoption place and become a yearly donor to them: they put the dogs needs first.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Bored posted:

Same. I find it very telling that the adoption person became an overt rear end in a top hat at the precise moment OP realized she was caught in a lovely lie.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Husky story stinks for sure. A little too pat.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for telling my brother I think he did the wrong thing forcing his bio son to move in with him?

quote:

Almost six months ago my brother learned that he had a 15 year old son with his ex. She died but had put my brother's name on the birth certificate and so my brother was contacted. He never knew she'd had a child let alone his child. A DNA test was carried out and confirmed my brother was the biological father. It was a very emotionally taxing time because my brother carried a lot of anger knowing his ex, who he had parted on good terms with, never told him. The only reason he can think of for why is she had always wanted to move back to her home town in another state and did not want to be forced to stay or share custody with a long distance parenting plan, and so never told my brother as a result.

The social worker in charge of the case mentioned the maternal grandparents wanted to retain custody of his son and that his son wanted to remain there, but as the biological father he had the right to take custody. My brother was called by the maternal grandparents and they, along with his son, asked for my brother to say no to custody. But he wanted his kid and forced him away from the family he knew so he could live with my brother, SIL and their kids (11, 9, 7 and 5).

Things are not going well. My nephew is angry that he was taken from his family.. He doesn't want to know my brother. He does not want a relationship with SIL or the kids. He's angry and is refusing to engage in the therapy my brother put him in. He ran away twice. He has had lots of trouble in school, which is not surprising really. It's been rough. He talks to me some. He told me as far as he is concerned they can all rot in hell and if he's hurting their "poor little feelings" then it's too bad so sad and they better get used to it because once he can, he's going home and won't speak to any of them again and gently caress blood because blood means loving nothing. It's worth noting that his maternal family are not blood. His mom and her sister were adopted and he is aware of this and does not have much of an interest in blood ties generally.

My brother and SIL are frustrated that things are not starting to show signs of improvement. My brother mentioned that the kids have been upset by the rejection and wanted to know why he was so mean to everyone and didn't give them a chance to be a family. I said nothing to him and just heard him out but he said I had a look on my face and asked me about it and then I told him he should never have made his son move in. I told him he went against what his son wanted and now he was living with the consequences. I said whether he likes it or not, his son doesn't give a poo poo that he's his bio father. He cares that when he was grieving the worst loss a kid can imagine, he was torn from the people he loved to live with strangers.

My brother said he did the right thing and he could love them too if he would give them a chance. But he's being stubborn and refusing and I am not helping things by saying he's wrong and his son is right.

AITA?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
OP just had those "dog mauler" eyes

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my brother I think he did the wrong thing forcing his bio son to move in with him?

Jesus gently caress I can get why the deceased mom never told this guy about the kid. Dude is a real loving selfish idiot. I hope the angry teen floods the house, gently caress this dude.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 14, 2023

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Casually making a kid's life an intolerable emotional hell

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

up through high school a common breakfast was to toast pop tarts and spread butter or margarine on the back lol

Baron Zephyrus
Apr 17, 2018
When I lived in a tiny-rear end 1-bedroom apartment, my neighbor (same floorplan) had a husky. I hated that neighbor and pitied that poor dog so badly. Huskies need a house with an actual fenced yard where they're allowed to run freely basically daily.

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm no Greek speaker, but it looks misós is "Half" while misó̱ is "Hate"? Is that right?

My partner is Greek; she says that this is about right. It's really a pronunciation thing. Kinda like pero versus perro in Spanish. She was still confused for a moment as to why the mom was upset,, though.

Baron Zephyrus fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 14, 2023

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
That poor kid is basically a half step above kidnapping victim

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i dunno, i mean obviously things aren't working and the right move probably would have been to move there, honestly. but i think in the moment it's hard not to have sympathy for a dude who was never told about a son.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

My brother mentioned that the kids have been upset by the rejection and wanted to know why he was so mean to everyone and didn't give them a chance to be a family.

why do people ask poo poo like this when they don't want to hear the answer

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i dunno, i mean obviously things aren't working and the right move probably would have been to move there, honestly. but i think in the moment it's hard not to have sympathy for a dude who was never told about a son.

Don't know if it would've been that good to uproot his 4 other children and wife just to ignore his son's wishes. Hell of a way to start off the relationship, immediately bulldozing the simplest and situationally logical plea directly requested by the son and his real family. He is a bad dad and a selfish person.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If you're baking cakes that's pretty normal.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Foo Diddley posted:

why do people ask poo poo like this when they don't want to hear the answer

Because they think they already know the answer and want the affirmation. Dude thought he was going to hear some combination of "of course you're right," "keep trying, the kid will come around," and "father knows best."

The only good news in that story is that the kid only has three more years before they can disappear forever. Hopefully the grandparents are still around at that point.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

yeah but as an adult you should want what is best for a kid, even if it's not your own, or it is and it's a surprise one. the kid is loving 15 and forced to live with strangers and lose everything he knew and loved.

AITA for not cooking my autistic brother’s “safe” food?

quote:

My teenage brother came to visit me along with our dad. My mum joined a couple days later and all together they stayed for like a week.

Brother is autistic and he prefers to just eat fried chicken for every meal. He will have rice and some curries sometimes too but like 85% of his meals are fried chicken.

I was making prawn pasta from scratch for my dad and my brother asked if I could make him some because he liked the look of it. So I did.

(I have frozen chicken tenders in the freezer so if he hates it I could’ve made those quickly FWIW)

My mum hates prawns so they basically don’t eat it at their home. She’s decided though that that means nobody in our family likes prawns.

Anyway when she arrived my brother started raving about the pasta I made for them and as soon as he mentioned that it had prawns my mum lost it. She started yelling at me saying I was inconsiderate of my brother’s needs and that I should have just made him a fried chicken burger instead of trying to force him out of his comfort zone.

It’s been weeks and she’s still mad at me over it, even more so today because apparently little bro asked her to get the recipe from me

AITA?

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

leftist heap posted:

That poor kid is basically a half step above kidnapping victim

In a way he's worse off; he's a victim of legal kidnapping so he's got basically zero comeback.

Kind of surprised that at 15 his wishes weren't taken into account, but I suppose it depends on local laws.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos
Got an estranged parent thing here with some detail. Pathetic, pathetic detail.

quote:

Our 1st grandchild was born a year ago. Our relationship with my 30+ married daughter was fine. She is an only child and had every advantage (which I now see may have been a problem, though she was NEVER a problem before). She and her husband live 2 minutes away; we sold them their home (another huge gift). We had often talked with them about how wonderful it would be to be nearby when they had kids. I was saddened to learn that, as my daughter calls it, we have “misaligned expectations.” Visits went from 2x a week (45 minutes) to once a week in January. I ached to see my grandchild but kept myself very busy with people who love me and lots of activities and travel. In the past few months — with absolutely no negative interactions at all — she has slowly reduced visits to every 9-10 days. She is a homemaker with one very easy going, delightful baby, not an employed mom with a hectic life. This week, I was to have babysat for the first time. She cancelled the day before “due to a car issue” (husband was taking their only car to work). I offered my car for her “errand” and told her it was a momentous day for me. (Hint: very important to me.) She said no to the car. I then responded that it was very important to me, could I come over for a visit the next day? She responded yes but that she is cutting visits to every other week. That was my “I’ve had it” moment. There is no heart there at all. I have cut ties with her. I can’t let this continue. It has aged me a decade in a year. I realize I may be screwing myself over but I also know that I have been incredibly sad for the past year since the bonding I thought I’d have with this child isn’t going to be allowed. I am sad but also relieved.

Give me your my purpose for existing baby

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not cooking my autistic brother’s “safe” food?
(reads headline) Yes (reads story) No

trickybiscuits fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 14, 2023

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yea, I hope the Dad enjoys the 2-3 lovely years he's going to have with this kid because he'll never see him again after that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

yeah but as an adult you should want what is best for a kid, even if it's not your own, or it is and it's a surprise one. the kid is loving 15 and forced to live with strangers and lose everything he knew and loved.

Yeah, it almost reads like this is some kind of revenge thing. He's mad at his ex for keeping his kid secret from him for 15 years and on some level this may be a way of getting back at her and her family. You can feel bad for the guy, and if the story was "I flew out to meet my son I didn't know about and he was a dick" then sure he would be the victim, but there's no excuse for jerking the kid around like this. It's absolutely monstrous and the anger and grief he's dealing with is at best a minor mitigating factor.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

yeah i agree. i just think it's a bad situation all around to be honest.

i just think it's easy (and i know this is reddit/sa) to come up with off the cuff responses like the above poster saying it's a revenge fantasy. if i found out i had a teenager i didn't know about it would throw me for an absolute loop.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not wanting a forced Christian family in the future?

quote:

My partner (28M) and I (24F) have been together for a but over two years, and everything has been good. We rarely fight and the topic of marriage and having children have been brought up a lot. We agree on most terms of the topics except for one: religion.

My partner and his family is religious and he has been a Christian since birth. He suggests that I go to church with him from time to time and I do go along with him because I don’t have a problem with it. He never forces me or tries to talk me into going. I even told him I am an atheist, and we would talk about our opinions but he still respects my beliefs.

However when we were talking about marriage and children, he said he would want the children to be Christians, and he cannot back up on that. He said he would actually force them to be Christians even if they didn’t want to, and he wouldn’t mind beating them if they disobeyed (which is crazy to me. How can you beat someone to believe in a religion). I disagreed with him and said that they should only be suggested to believe in Christianity but shouldn’t be forced, and I would be okay with the children to choose their own religion. I also told him that beating children for not going to church doesn’t sound like the Christian way. He did not take this well and said that he would give them as much freedom as they want but he cannot back down on religious terms.

His reasoning is that he doesn’t want the people he loves to go to hell. I understand where he’s coming from, but I myself was a Christian a while back ago but lost faith. I told him he’s going to give logical answers to questions I have about Christianity if he wants to convince me or the future children we might have instead of beating them to go to church. I also told him that if we do get married and have children, I won’t just watch them get beat because of not believing the religion their father wants them to believe. He said he can settle on grounding them for not going to church, but I still disagree. I reasoned with him that grounding people won’t make them believe but actually make them feel repulsed. He keeps saying that if they want what he can give them as a father, they need to meet the one and only condition: to be a Christian.

We’re in a stalemate. He thinks I disagree with him just because I don’t want to believe myself. He says he really wants to marry me and have a future with me, but as a Christian family, and it’s the only thing he would ask me to do. I tell him it would be great if they never doubt their religion they are given from birth, but if they decide not to be Christians or don’t want to be, then they shouldn’t be forced to be a Christian.

He thinks I’m being harsh for not giving in. He thinks that if I really love him and want to be happy together, I should at least try to believe and build a Christian family which would be his only rule in the family.

AITA??

are you fuckin stupid, lady? guy says he wants to beat your kids and you're still with him? "he's great except for this one thing" what the gently caress

quote:

EDIT: Feels like I know in the back of my head that I should break up with him but just need to hear words of affirmation. Also kinda heartbroken that this suddenly revealed a major red flag when things were so great. I’ll come to my senses when I’m feeling less sad. Thank you all.

EDIT2: I’m not a fan of beating children or anyone regardless of age. I was whipped once when I was a child and my parents had an argument about it and was never beaten again. My mother always tells me that beating a child for any reason can not be accepted no matter what, and I agree with her. I did leave out the part that I’m very against using pain/fear on anyone regardless of them being a child or an adult or an animal whatsoever. I told him about this and that’s why he said he would just ground them instead, but I do understand that this is still not okay and also that his words aren’t entirely trustworthy after he already said that he’s willing to use force.

oh hey, and the fuckin light turns on, another AITA success story

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

My experience with butter keepers goes like this.
1. Place softened butter into bell.
2. Invert bell over water.
3. Room temperature is 80 degrees.
4. Lump of semi-solid butter drops into water.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Unlucky OP posted:

How can you beat someone to believe in a religion

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for not wanting a forced Christian family in the future?

are you fuckin stupid, lady? guy says he wants to beat your kids and you're still with him? "he's great except for this one thing" what the gently caress

oh hey, and the fuckin light turns on, another AITA success story

I mean, if this isn't a dealbreaker what the gently caress would be? I'm glad it's another reddit success story though. Sometimes having the internet yell at you can help, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

mediaphage posted:

op says in another comment how much easier their sister had it than these workers because his family is rich

which makes their treatment of her all the worse

:owned: