Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

GREAT
by Ryan Armand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Hempuli posted:

GREAT
by Ryan Armand

is this just a beat for beat retelling of Forrest Gump now? I haven't watched it in like 30 years but I'm pretty sure this how it went

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

TEN
EARTH
SHATTERING
BLOWS

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Noir89 posted:

I like it, but I read it more like the intro to a Disney or Pixar movie about a dude taking care about a colorful and diverse bunch of skittish AIs being afraid of being in space but feeling comfort from their human companion. An accident will occur but they will pull through with teamwork and bravely facing their different fears in space :3

One of them will be introverted and have a darker mood than the others who will distrust him but he will pull through and they will all be friends in the end!

So wholesome!! I'd watch it. Or add it to the list of things to draw at some stage.

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's a very wholesome direction to go! My mind went in a "the AIs are sophisticated enough to experience subjective/qualitative feedback phenomena analogous to/exactly like emotions, and we haven't given them any sensory apparatus (or it's in disrepair/broken)" direction

Welp, that's horrifying!
It's fun drawing something with the right balance of vagueness and suggestion such that people come up with their own theories as to what is going on. Even if those theories are really unsettling.
My thought was that the AI were literally afraid of the dark- and space after all is very very dark! It was a kind of reflection on the nature of super-intelligent AI, or even human-level AI. Our civilisation already has access to powerful, flexible, adaptable learning-engines housed in self-repairing support modules; they're called babies. And look how well they tend to turn out.

By popular demand posted:

Could work for a collab narrative game where every player has to tell a story to the rest as the scardy cat AIs are just passing the time while the human assistant is on break.
"...And the Princess agreed that the hide of the slaughtered beast would make for a fetching handbag and also that Sir. Knight performed an admirable service by removing that menace from the local food chain,
and there was much rejoicing..."
-"Oh Bob is finally back"

Sounds like my sister and I, back in the day, telling stories half the night to distract ourselves from being scared out of our brains after glimpsing a few minutes of the X Files...

Squidster posted:

Using a recurring supporting cast is also a great creative solution to making the sidestories feel continuous with the frame story. If each side story had an entirely new cast, it would be both a stumbling block to the reader, and require more pages to introduce the new characters and their relationships. Instead he's built a convenient shorthand that lets the reader instantly catch up. Dude's great at this.

Kim Stanley Robinson's The Years of Rice and Salt employs the same idea. It's an excellent, really beautiful book. Can recommend.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Last time, on Vigils for Friends:

Today: Well, that was an escalation.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

He is definitely not the only person to die that way. Hippos are literally considered the most dangerous animal on the planet.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

HUP

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

edit: hup

Cooking Papa - Cook 2: Bachelor's Chunky "The Curry" (???)

The way to a boss's heart to through his stomach.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Valhalla

SimonChris has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Oct 16, 2023

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

did the needful

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I love Joy. She has absolutely no doubt that she would win this random competition she just heard about, if there was any real incentive to do so. She stumbled across a side quest but doesn't really care for the projected quest reward.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

SimonChris posted:

sexy horse loki

good god

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

honestly you havent seen anything yet

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He is definitely not the only person to die that way. Hippos are literally considered the most dangerous animal on the planet.

Hippos almost are the most dangerous, but it turns out ninja have the real ultimate power

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

The Lord of the Rings

I'm pretty sure Gandalf is supposed to have died and come back to life here, but I guess the comic writers thought that would be too confusing.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Spirit Circle

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SimonChris posted:

I'm pretty sure Gandalf is supposed to have died and come back to life here, but I guess the comic writers thought that would be too confusing.

What the hell? That's one of the biggest things to just randomly omit. So Gwaihir just took him clothes shopping on the way back for fun then, I guess?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

What the hell? That's one of the biggest things to just randomly omit. So Gwaihir just took him clothes shopping on the way back for fun then, I guess?

What, you think the gray dye in his robes is colorfast? It all washed off in the pool at the root of the world.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

The next page flat out states that Galadriel healed his wounds, so it is not even ambiguous. I don't know why they felt that change was necessary.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I'm very behind on the thread, but instead of waiting to catch up, I'll start posting an old comic I remember liking. The website is defunct, but at some point, I downloaded the archives - I haven't reread it since it was running, so I'm not certain if I still think it's good. I'll be discovering that along with the rest of the thread!

Posting will probably be pretty irregular because I'm just built that way, number of pages per post will probably vary depending on how wordy I think they get. I'll start with a few more pages than I'll probably post at once going forward, just to get into it right away.

And a fun teaser: the comic featured occasional guest art by KC Green, back before he was very well known. I'll flag those when we get to them, assuming they're included in the archives.

Without further ado, here's How To Make a Sprite Comic in 8 Easy Bits!

We meet our protagonist and his friend, who I believe are both modified Maniac Mansion sprites.

Referencing some well-known sprite comics of the day here. The Final Fantasy one is, of course, 8-bit Theater. The Mega Man one I'm less sure about because I didn't really read a lot of those, but maybe MS Paint Masterpieces which is getting posted in this thread? Bob and George? I'm sure others ITT know better than I! Also, apropos of the poster in the background, here's Skinny Puppy.

I have no idea what the college AU comic he's referencing is, but on the TV we see sprites from Final Fantasy, Bubble Bobble, [???] and Mega Man. And in the final panel a hint at the main conceit of this comic: this is a world where game sprites coexist with regular humans (who are generally represented as edited sprites (mainly from Maniac Mansion as I recall), while sprites maintain their unaltered game appearance.

Introducing the protagonist's other friend, and further explaining the main conceit of this world. Once you're no longer starring in games, how do you support yourself? By working at 7-11 or getting cast in a sprite comic, for example.

Discarded game sprites need love too.

Not the most amazing start to a comic, I suppose, but I do still like the main conceit and feel like it was probably pretty original at the time. I hope five pages isn't too much for people to read - later on I'll do less per post, and I know the comic eventually starts doing really long pages. It looks like the archives I have downloaded run up through page 162 - I'm not actually sure if that's the entire run of the comic, I'll have to look into it.

On a different note, Tree Bucket, if you're still doing Halloween avatar variants I'd absolutely love one!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SimonChris posted:

The next page flat out states that Galadriel healed his wounds, so it is not even ambiguous. I don't know why they felt that change was necessary.

Seems like the kind of choice made when you don't want to offend certain types of Christians by depicting a resurrection of someone other than Jesus, but that's probably a uniquely American concern

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
The Bugle Call: Marching.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Seems like the kind of choice made when you don't want to offend certain types of Christians by depicting a resurrection of someone other than Jesus, but that's probably a uniquely American concern

That's an interesting thing I hadn't thought about in a while since I've been around the books for so long. Growing up in a super conservative christian household, a lot of fantasy stuff was a no go based on stuff like that, but Tolkien got allowed in. Probably a combo of him coming from a catholic perspective and being kind of next door to C. S. Lewis. Maybe it was changed based on content, at least that's something more than omitting it due to complexity.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Madam Ferrier is not messing about, what?

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I remember this, it was linked on VGcats (please don't judge me) back in the day which is how I found it. For the era I guess it was good enough for me to stick with to the end, kind of just fizzles out but there were glimpses of something half decent over its run.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The Bikini Bottom Horror

KennyMan666 posted:

Chapter 14, The Fight-O-Plankton

Chapter 15: Blown up

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Only David Hasselhoff can save them now

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
So basically, Val went to Horrit and he went to Merlin and they just told him, "You're not cursed, you just have a crush on this girl. Do something about it, or get over it." He would do something about it, except now he's been sidetracked by homesickness.

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur(March 14-28, 1943)

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

Only David Hasselhoff can save them now

He vowed to be here, forever and always!

E: dang, you come for the Prince you best not miss.

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 19:25 on Oct 14, 2023

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Got so excited about the eclipse today, I almost forgot to post
28TH CENTURY SUPERFAN

We're finally getting around to addressing the robo racism, but at what cost...at what cost
:fart::smith:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

Got so excited about the eclipse today, I almost forgot to post
28TH CENTURY SUPERFAN

We're finally getting around to addressing the robo racism, but at what cost...at what cost
:fart::smith:
Aw, the big twist this time was her actually feeling things about the consequences of her actions

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Owl at Home posted:

So basically, Val went to Horrit and he went to Merlin and they just told him, "You're not cursed, you just have a crush on this girl. Do something about it, or get over it." He would do something about it, except now he's been sidetracked by homesickness.

Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur(March 14-28, 1943)

I know Camelot's not getting diverted from its oncoming civil war, but leaving Gawain to drink and stew doesn't feel particularly heroic to me :<

Also holy poo poo, they straight up executed that guy.

Squidster posted:

The Bugle Call: Marching.

Two things I find amusing: one, that this was how Ryuka chose to comfort Miura; two, that it worked.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Emzedoh posted:

I know Camelot's not getting diverted from its oncoming civil war, but leaving Gawain to drink and stew doesn't feel particularly heroic to me :<

Also holy poo poo, they straight up executed that guy.

Val's bodycount is probably in the low triple digits at this point

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Kit Walker posted:

Val's bodycount is probably in the low triple digits at this point

Just like Columbus,
He get the bloodlust.
Just like Columbus,
He get murderous on purpose.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Woebin posted:

On a different note, Tree Bucket, if you're still doing Halloween avatar variants I'd absolutely love one!

Sure! Any preferences?

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 21: Forlorn God

Goodbye, unnamed scarred samurai. Hope no one recognises you!

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated chapter 16: Of Agents

Let him drop Shinobu, he can fly for god's sake.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Emzedoh posted:

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 21: Forlorn God

Goodbye, unnamed scarred samurai. Hope no one recognises you!

I thought he got his neck broken and his hat / kimono are hanging from the black guy's (Yasuke?) hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Yeah, that's what I meant. If someone recognises his corpse, it could cause some trouble for Hideyoshi.