Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

lih posted:

the mobile booths for the remote communities haven't reported back yet & they're where about 40% of the nt indigenous population is.

Didnt know they hadn't started reporting so will have to wait til they come back to draw any conclusions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I was surprised. Thought that was a slam dunk, and when i saw people in this thread confidently saying that it was gonna be "no" I was all "pff ridiculous"

Don't pay enough attention I guess

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

ColtMcAsskick posted:

Didnt know they hadn't started reporting so will have to wait til they come back to draw any conclusions

i drew some for you

The Peccadillo posted:

I was surprised. Thought that was a slam dunk, and when i saw people in this thread confidently saying that it was gonna be "no" I was all "pff ridiculous"

Don't pay enough attention I guess

typical inner city voter spotted, you should buy a bigger ute

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 14, 2023

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I hope this is the last thing Dutton ever wins in his life

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

BrigadierSensible posted:

Of course she is. She's from Frankston!

If Frankston's so great, why doesn't Debbie Flintoff-King, Olympic Gold Medallist, live there?

Had to work today - had an attendant and nurse taking our psych patients out to vote.

One of them, older BPAD, currently on a down, told me they voted 'yes', which was nice.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
Settler colonialist state built on racial capitalism that tries to assimilate first nations is racist? I'm shocked.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

hooman posted:

Muuuuuum TBK is copying me!

'Dav when "no, but racistly" wins, I vote our thread title becomes "Auspol 2023 - Task Failed Successfully"

Quoting myself.

Bald Stalin posted:

Settler colonialist state built on racial capitalism that tries to assimilate first nations is racist? I'm shocked.

Good thing you voted for the "racism" outcome then!

Seriously, you don't get to come in here and advocate for progressive no and then say "Look at all the racism" when no wins. Maybe everyone listened to you! Why aren't you celebrating, no won! You got what you wanted. Everyone voted "no" non racistly!

hooman fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 14, 2023

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!
The referendum should have never happened. It was racist bullshit and you all bought it hook line and sinker. A vote was never going to do poo poo. Now get to work (you won't do any real work you just want to vote now and then and complain).

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Bald Stalin posted:

The referendum should have never happened. It was racist bullshit and you all bought it hook line and sinker. A vote was never going to do poo poo. Now get to work (you won't do any real work you just want to vote now and then and complain).

gently caress off I bought it hook line and sinker what the gently caress are you talking about you loving moron. I agreed with you it was bullshit. I just didn't think that voting no was a better outcome than voting yes. You thought it was. Here we are.

Here, I'll quote myself for you, since you clearly didn't read any of my posts before.

hooman posted:

Yes? At what point did any of us give the impression we believed otherwise?? Nobody here thinks the loving flaccid voice is going to poo poo about this.

This does nothing to help first nations people, true. Voting against it harms first nations people by emboldening and enabling the (more) racists who want to harm them (more). I'm not voting yes because it's some great work of loving art, I'm stuck between two poo poo choices and picking the, in my view, less poo poo one. I'm not going to tell a single first nations person they're wrong in their vote, because it's a value judgement for the self.

EDIT: Ok you want me to engage with Lydia Thorpe's argument?

I agree with everything she is saying. There is no way that the Albanese government is going to call it off though, so what do I vote? Do I vote to say, "dear first nations people, we are a deeply racist country, and we want you all to really know it"?

It's poo poo, but just like ironic racism, "no, but progressive" sends the same message as "no, and gently caress you".

hooman fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 14, 2023

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Bald Stalin posted:

i've been doing the work for about 13 years now

its very tiring

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Bald Stalin posted:

You should check out Dutton’s victory speech, seeing as you gleefully supported that cause.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Bald Stalin posted:

If playing footy as a kid taught me anything it’s that win or lose you’d accept the result, look the other blokes in the eye, shake their hand and say “well played”. Unfortunately it seems as though a lot of people on both sides of the fence want to get into the gutter with name calling and disrespect.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

dr_rat posted:

Yeah, looks like only place who ended up majority yes was ACT.

Sorta feel bad all the times I talked poo poo about Canberra now.

Well, like the 1999 republic referendum us Canberrans have shown the rest of Australia how much better we are. You're welcome :smug:. Make Ricky Stuart PM.

But seriously, what an awful day. I knew the Yes vote was hosed when my father, a university educated man and life-long labor voter told me a few months ago he was voting no because "The voice will have the power to tell parliament what to do and the High Court will back them" and no matter how much I told him that was not what the proposed change said and that parliament still held all the power and they could (and would honestly) ignore the Voice if they felt like it, didn't change his mind. And if this little change gets a big No, a proposal with actual weight behind it has no chance. gently caress me dead.

Sad way to find out my dad was a fuckwit, but better now than never I guess. We are an awful country.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

garycoleisgod posted:

Well, like the 1999 republic referendum us Canberrans have shown the rest of Australia how much better we are. You're welcome :smug:. Make Ricky Stuart PM.

But seriously, what an awful day. I knew the Yes vote was hosed when my father, a university educated man and life-long labor voter told me a few months ago he was voting no because "The voice will have the power to tell parliament what to do and the High Court will back them" and no matter how much I told him that was not what the proposed change said and that parliament still held all the power and they could (and would honestly) ignore the Voice if they felt like it, didn't change his mind. And if this little change gets a big No, a proposal with actual weight behind it has no chance. gently caress me dead.

Sad way to find out my dad was a fuckwit, but better now than never I guess. We are an awful country.

pretty similar experience here, knew the voice was cooked when i heard some ugly poo poo from my mum. also when i found out she was cooked too

TheLoneAmigo
Jan 3, 2013

Bald Stalin posted:

What work? What are you actually doing as “work” on this issue, other than slagging off the huge numbers of Indigenous activists who put their absolute loving hearts on the line over this referendum?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

TheLoneAmigo posted:

What work? What are you actually doing as “work” on this issue, other than slagging off the huge numbers of Indigenous activists who put their absolute loving hearts on the line over this referendum?

They’re posting in a smug gently caress fashion
Can’t you see how HARD they’re working?!

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Honestly though this country needs an information campaign, an educational blitz that we’re not loving America and our country and constitution work differently.

Just a variety of 30 second spots during the cricket and footy saying “there is no free speech amendment in our constitution”, etc etc would help

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

Bald Stalin posted:

So, something supported by Indigenous people that would basically be a form of ATSIC that couldn't be done away with by the PM of the day and was a consultative body that would sit over the state based consultative Indigenous bodies being established at this very moment without any veto power was racist against whom? Was it double-crypto-undercover racist because it definitely wasn't a simple open Apartheid racism? What is your angle?

This referendum was a very modest change and Australians showed they lack the understanding to take 5 minutes to learn what it was going to do and that involving Indigenous people in the machinery of government would be a net positive.

Now Indigenous people get to rely on State powers, which is fine, but has no unifying strategy between States that would have been coordinated by a Federal body. It's all very boring but it was made simple so dipshit Aussies would understand what was happening.

If 'progressives' told themselves that they should vote no because the referendum didn't go far enough = irrelevance follows. You got your shot and you flubbed it arguing over the fallout. You get to tell people you were always hardcore while all the rules get made without you. If you get anything positive out of this then it will be dumb luck.

Murdoch is the only true winner. Division and chaos sells subscriptions.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
whos up getting ready with unlinked public transport cards and making signs to go march in support of palestine today

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Hey folks, are AEC workers inside the polling place required to initial or mark your ballot in any way when they mark you on the roll?

This isn't a conspiracy post or anything, just need a question i don't know the answer to... Answered. Cheers

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Completely predictable own goal in putting this to a referendum, they should have just legislated for it like Victoria and SA already did.

A Perfect Twist posted:

This referendum was a very modest change and Australians showed they lack the understanding to take 5 minutes to learn what it was going to do

Probably because "what it was going to do" was studiously left unspecified.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lizard Combatant posted:

Hey folks, are AEC workers inside the polling place required to initial or mark your ballot in any way when they mark you on the roll?

This isn't a conspiracy post or anything, just need a question i don't know the answer to... Answered. Cheers

No. In fact I believe if your ballot paper identifies you in any way it's ruled invalid.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

freebooter posted:

No. In fact I believe if your ballot paper identifies you in any way it's ruled invalid.

No sorry, i mean do they (the AEC worker) need to stamp or sign any part of the ballot to make it official and not one someone printed at home for example

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

A Perfect Twist posted:

be a form of ATSIC

It's bizarre how you both acknowledge this would just be another ATSIC but your Idealism prevents you from recognizing ATSIC didn't stop black deaths in custody or get land back or lead to treaty. Pure liberal brain rot.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I don't think so? And even if you'd printed off one at home and secretly use that instead, I'm not sure you'd be breaking the law unless you attempted to cast more than one. Where are you going with this?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

freebooter posted:

I don't think so? And even if you'd printed off one at home and secretly use that instead, I'm not sure you'd be breaking the law unless you attempted to cast more than one. Where are you going with this?

It's not some crank poo poo don't worry, a friend (who's of maori decent) was weirded out by the guy who handed the ballot out is all and I'm just trying to assuage some fears.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Lizard Combatant posted:

No sorry, i mean do they (the AEC worker) need to stamp or sign any part of the ballot to make it official and not one someone printed at home for example

Yes, every ballot needs to be initialled by the vote issuing officer as they hand it over, otherwise it won’t be counted

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

ShoeFly posted:

Yes, every ballot needs to be initialled by the vote issuing officer as they hand it over, otherwise it won’t be counted

Oh seriously? That's not good news. Sorry friend, it was racism after all.

A Perfect Twist
Aug 15, 2007

"What have I done? I'll have to start again. To forget and to disappear. I'll head north, far-north, to that big question mark, the Northern Territory"

freebooter posted:

Completely predictable own goal in putting this to a referendum, they should have just legislated for it like Victoria and SA already did.

Probably because "what it was going to do" was studiously left unspecified.

Sort of. It is pretty obvious to anyone who could read that the body was for consultation and nothing but. You can argue that consultation doesn't always get the best outcomes but it is usually welcome. The Coalition were the Architects, the power it would have can be ignored but the body would persist unlike ATSIC which John Howard just pulled funding for capitalising on a historic rape accusation made against the then ATSIC head which later was dismissed. The lady involved probably was raped but it was not confirmed that the accused was the one who had any involvement or was anywhere near were it happened at the time. I digress because this is a one of those things that can be talked about endlessly.

I think the real death of the referendum was when Dutton came out in opposition to a policy which was designed by his party's moderates. He was doubling-down on a strategy that had lost the election and a few by-elections. Being boosted by Murdoch's papers meant we all heard more from the No side than we should have. The Yes side, to their detriment, acted as if the would would be all sunshine and rainbows.

It wasn't helped that Lydia Thorpe, supposedly progressive, seems to be capitalising on outrage. Claiming Albanese is responsible for neo-nazis targetting her did not fill me with confidence she actually knows what she's doing. They are targetting her because of her race, sex and that she's in the public eye, simple as. Neo-nazis don't lie to themselves about voting no being good for Indigenous people like she was doing. That she threw her hat in with the No side just made her look amateurish.

A Perfect Twist fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Oct 15, 2023

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Yeah, once you ask the questions and determine they’re eligible to vote you’re supposed to initial the circle in the top right marked “Official Use Only”.

Though the ballot will probably still be considered valid if the issuing officer forgets.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bald Stalin posted:

It's bizarre how you both acknowledge this would just be another ATSIC but your Idealism prevents you from recognizing ATSIC didn't stop black deaths in custody or get land back or lead to treaty. Pure liberal brain rot.

So how will the No vote lay the foundations to address this inequality hmm

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://www.aec.gov.au/elections/candidates/files/ballot-paper-formality-guidelines.pdf

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah it's a case where the guy was acting weird towards her and she thought something was up but didn't realise about the initial until she was outside and comparing the experience with her white partner. They didn't go back in to make a scene because it's hard to not come across like a crazy person if you don't catch them in the act. So yeah the vote was most likely counted, but that's not the real concern.

Fun times in Australia.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Hey so I voted No

And for context I'm a left wing, non-white and brown though not Indigenous perennial Greens/Labor/Vic Socs voter, I've studied constitutional law and am not a nufty, etc

I absolutely think some recognition could have been in the Constitution and more can be done for indigenous Australians, but I didn't think giving a lobby group for a single race constitutional status perennially is the solution, and I think there's a lack of realization of how many progressive multicultural voters have voted No for similar reasons

However what I do know is that there's going to be a bunch of bad takes from both sides about what this means, when all it really means is the Yes failed to make a compelling enough case for the electorate, people voted no for a variety of reasons, some crazy, racist and nufty and others not even if you disagree, and life goes on

Sweeping takes on either side about what this means about racism in general in Australia are overwhelmingly bad faith

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

but I didn't think giving a lobby group for a single race constitutional status perennially is the solution

Solution, no. But why is it not worth having at all?

Would your opinion be different if this were part of the original constitution at Federation?

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I think the voice could have been set up as a legislated entity or otherwise the government could have moved to enhance consultation with indigenous groups in other ways without changing the constitution in a way that gives one ethnic group a structural difference as issues and the demographics of the country will further shift over time and it assumes it will always be necessary

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
We actually know from the results that all bar one electorate that had a 20%+ share of Greens election votes overwhelmingly voted yes. We know every Teal seat voted yes. Only one Liberal electorate voted yes. We have data on age and wealth and voting patterns, elections are hard data. Largely this was a no of apathy and ignorance. Indigenous affairs are never in the top 10 of issues across the 'common' electorate. Its a fringe issue and making Australians care about both the constitution and a fringe social issue is a double shot of concrete especially with socially conservative areas of the country having an outsized say.

We know that the Yes vote has cultivated a big groundswell (apparently the largest grassroots organising body), people who were Yes were a hard yes, whereas No could coast on apathy and even the slightest questioning and misinfo. Hopefully this groundswell gets leveraged for more progressive social policies.

We can also infer that the 'progressive no' vote was irrelevant in progressive seats and only helped the non-progressive Labor seats and LibNat electorates justify their lovely social positions and that they'll immediately become irrelevant until their useful idiot position can be exploited again. Thorpe was useless as the local member for Northcote in the Victorian Parliament and was quickly voted out for it, and it's sad that the Greens thought they could change her again.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I think the voice could have been set up as a legislated entity or otherwise the government could have moved to enhance consultation with indigenous groups in other ways without changing the constitution in a way that gives one ethnic group a structural difference as issues and the demographics of the country will further shift over time and it assumes it will always be necessary

Yes, it should if all the land was stolen from them. It should have originally contained it in the context of the fact that we are all living on their land. For the majority of the time Australia has existed the constitution did not recognise them as people...

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I think the voice could have been set up as a legislated entity

This has already been done, repeatedly, since the 1970s. The LNP always shut it down when they regain power.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

without changing the constitution in a way that gives one ethnic group a structural difference
The Australian constitution already has structural differences specifically in regards to Indigenous peoples, which obviously isn't working all that great for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Definitely love watching No voters twist themselves into knots justifying themselves. Just say that you don’t really care about the government listening to advice on First Nations issues in a way which can’t be as easily wound back by conservatives.