Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

I will be standing at the Canadian border in three months and ordering the Mounties to deport anyone who’s a draft denier ITT. I’m already Breeding specialized dogs that can sniff out the funk of cspam posters like truffles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

PawParole posted:

I will be standing at the Canadian border in three months and ordering the Mounties to deport anyone who’s a draft denier ITT

motherfucker i'm going to new zealand

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
as if your nazi applauding blackface country wouldn't be right there with us, lmao

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mr trump we captured salomini and parmesani were only missing tony salami and joey baloney

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
contacting my congressperson to demand a draft so I win an internet argument

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

silicone thrills posted:

Seems like there's a big influx of posters I dont normally see around cspam posting here. I dont explore around the forums much these days but im guessing this is one of the last places where you are allowed to have any sort of nuanced view?

This is the only forum where people say stuff that actually makes sense and is actually grounded in history. I learned my lesson from the Ukraine affair that GBS and D&D are no good.

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

oh look nazis.. being nazis

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
yea America is too smart to go into a mountainous middle eastern country with ground troops

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PawParole posted:

logically if American goes to war with Iran, there will be a draft. The all volunteer army is short by 20k troops,so if America goes to war with iran then there would be a draft. I want all of you to follow my logic, and admit that it makes sense before I stop posting about it.

It doesn't make sense

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)

slave to my cravings posted:

yea America is too smart to go into a mountainous middle eastern country with ground troops

listen we had the dress rehearsal so the show is going on!

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

30.5 Days posted:

as if your nazi applauding blackface country wouldn't be right there with us, lmao

I’m not Canadian either.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

god drat man

dti, dta

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

PawParole posted:

logically if American goes to war with Iran, there will be a draft. The all volunteer army is short by 20k troops,so if America goes to war with iran then there would be a draft. I want all of you to follow my logic, and admit that it makes sense before I stop posting about it.

if America had wheels she'd be a bike

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

silicone thrills posted:

Seems like there's a big influx of posters I dont normally see around cspam posting here. I dont explore around the forums much these days but im guessing this is one of the last places where you are allowed to have any sort of nuanced view?

GBS couldn't keep a clean Israel/Palestine thread so it's either here or D&D, which, well,

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

if there was another 9/11 style attack it could happen.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

That’s all I needed

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
There is a level of wishful thinking on the part of the west that the protests kick off again in Iran to distract/topple the government so that would take care of the problem. Talking to relatives and friends there, the economy/inflation is awful compounded with the sanctions and some people are annoyed at how much Iran has spent on various shiite militias/governments over the last decade instead of fixing their government. Much like how we in the west are annoyed about the aid we are sending to Ukraine while the economy is poo poo. kind of why this clip has been making the rounds on Iranian social media

https://twitter.com/GhorbaniiNiyak/status/1711110663932686694

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mcmagic posted:

if there was another 9/11 style attack it could happen.

the us does not need this to happen for it to invade nations

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Honky Mao posted:

I'm sure no nearby government really wants to get involved in a conflict but just letting israel genocide millions of Palestinians would, I assume, be extremely unpopular these days

hamas wiped out a huge proportion of the idf that can actually fight on live tv, this idea that the israeli military is some unstoppable force is outdated thinking

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFjyKDUSMDo

"Israel has been calling Palestinian fighters “terrorists” to justify its slaughter of Gaza."

"Breakthrough News journalist, Eugene Puryear, rips this narrative apart, explaining the long history of oppressed and colonized people being demonized and called terrorists and savage to justify the continued occupation of those people. No different than the Native resistance to American colonization, slave rebellions in the Americas, the Haitian Revolution, Palestinians are resisting Israeli colonialism, not out of bloodlust as the media has portrayed it, but because of decades of land thefts, massacres, second-class citizenship and the denial of the right to return that has persisted for decades."

Solidarity from South Africa:

https://twitter.com/peoplesassembl_/status/1713129386700869996

https://twitter.com/Numsa_Media/status/1713242512935051293

https://twitter.com/Numsa_Media/status/1713246014386184424

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Oct 14, 2023

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I think it's less "too smart" and more "too tired" at this point. We aren't the spring chicken that we were in 2001.

I think Trump would start a war with Iran, because he certainly tried very very hard to start one. Thankfully he didn't succeed.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

RandomBlue posted:

contacting my congressperson to demand a draft so I win an internet argument

Asking my congresswoman to introduce the draft because it's the quickest way to help turn the imperialist war into a civil war

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HallelujahLee posted:

the us does not need this to happen for it to invade nations

depends what you mean by "invade'...... we have troops all over the world now. you need massive popular support to do a ground invasion of a large country like iran and the only thing that could cause that is national bloodlust in reaction to an attack imo.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Majorian posted:

I think it's less "too smart" and more "too tired" at this point. We aren't the spring chicken that we were in 2001.

still high on the gay 90s... :rip:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Danru posted:

Not super surprised considering the IOF basically tried to kill the Iranian foreign minister with artillery when he was about to land in Damascus the other day lol. But really, there are bigger stakes here for the future of the region, not least of which is whether Palestine will continue to exist and whether Israel will be cemented as the little nuclear tyrant of the region, I think the ME is sensing US lack of resolve

remember that time trump waxed qasem soleimani and nothing happened and because of the statute of limitations nothing ever can happen because it would violate the rules based international order?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
nope.jpg

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

mcmagic posted:

depends what you mean by "invade'...... we have troops all over the world now. you need massive popular support to do a ground invasion of a large country like iran and the only thing that could cause that is national bloodlust in reaction to an attack imo.

i have news about the us and giving a poo poo about its citizens opinions i will say that it wont happen if anything because people are tired of losing wars and the overall terrible economy

and by people i mean the turds in charge

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

30.5 Days posted:

A GBS poster is walking around SA getting people's opinions for a post. He goes up to a C-SPAM poster and says "I was making a joke about this Reuters tweet from earlier." The C-SPAM poster says, "what's a joke?" He goes up to a FYAD poster and says "I was making a joke about this Reuters tweet from earlier". The FYAD poster says, "what's a tweet?" He goes up to a D&D poster and says "I was making a joke about this Reuters tweet from earlier". The D&D poster says, "What's earlier?"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Lpzie posted:

gotta eat...

https://twitter.com/ColumboScreens/status/1713313733139992676

Danru
May 23, 2022

mcmagic posted:

there isn't going to be a large scale american ground invasion of iran.

Speaking with a lot of certainty here lol. Things are changing very quickly, Israel could launch a first strike on bad intel, Hezbollah may sweep northern Israel in a lightning raid. I would put a limited US invasion of Iran as possible in the next month. There could be two coalitions by next week in a super regional hot war idk. I would just brace for the worst possible outcome because I'm not seeing much good come from any of this (unless Israel collapses entirely, and the Samson Option is a myth)

Edit to say a Biden draft would go horribly horribly wrong lmao and lead to incredible political instability

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Danru has issued a correction as of 23:19 on Oct 14, 2023

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Death By The Blues posted:

There is a level of wishful thinking on the part of the west that the protests kick off again in Iran to distract/topple the government so that would take care of the problem. Talking to relatives and friends there, the economy/inflation is awful compounded with the sanctions and some people are annoyed at how much Iran has spent on various shiite militias/governments over the last decade instead of fixing their government. Much like how we in the west are annoyed about the aid we are sending to Ukraine while the economy is poo poo. kind of why this clip has been making the rounds on Iranian social media

https://twitter.com/GhorbaniiNiyak/status/1711110663932686694

I have been hearing that for a decade and the Iranians are still around, and no, I don't think the population will welcome a ground invasion. It reminds me how the West thinks the Russians are on the edge of revolt because the ruble lost value or whatever.

Iran also has modern air defenses, and the US doesn't have a ground force to defend; it isn't 2003.

The carriers are there to target Lebanon/Syria.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 23:17 on Oct 14, 2023

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Centrist Committee posted:

hamas wiped out a huge proportion of the idf that can actually fight on live tv, this idea that the israeli military is some unstoppable force is outdated thinking

The problem is this is about as far from a fair fight as anyone could imagine. Any building that resistance fighters hole up in is going to be leveled with a bomb. Israel has total visibility from the sky over the 100% of the entire, thin sliver of land that will be the battlefield, and total control of the sea.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

interesting the top secret mission agenda was printed on color ink... hope they used a color laser. wonder how much printer ink and toner are officially allowed by Israel into Gaza.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

still high on the gay 90s... :rip:

And let me tell you, those 90s were gaaaaaay~

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

the reviews are in for israel

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

speng31b posted:

I think your average person in the West just has no incentive to think about the situation more deeply than clock the generic take from CNN or AP/Reuters or whatever and take it at face value. The line everyone has been sold that Hamas is evil and Israel is doing this because an evil organization has infected Palestine so everything is really the fault of the evil terrorists is just too engrained with post-9/11 racism to change for most casual politics viewers.

This is an article I think the undereducated sort of person you describe there should read. I hope it is okay that I post it here, I do not have social media outside of this forums account but really want to share this person's voice. Also I promise I did not just stumble in here yesterday, I have followed since page 200-something and just managed to keep my feelings to myself for a while at first. I provide the link in case others might utilize it and the text because it should be quoted directly.

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2023/10/14/on-october-7-gaza-broke-out-of-prison

quote:

Opinions | Gaza
On October 7, Gaza broke out of prison
And albeit for a brief moment, we, Palestinians, felt free.

In the early morning hours of Saturday, October 7, Palestinians across the West Bank woke up to the sound of explosions.

No one really knew what was happening until reports started trickling in that fighters from Gaza had taken control of Beit Hanoun crossing – the only one through which Gaza residents may reach the rest of historic Palestine on the extremely rare occasions the occupier allows them to.

Soon information appeared on social media that the wall that Israel had erected around the Gaza Strip to keep its 2.3 million people permanently imprisoned had been breached.

And then came the images and footage of the broken wall. In one video, showing a bulldozer bringing down the wall, a Palestinian man can be heard chanting in exhilaration: “Yes, go! Allahu Akbar [God is the Greatest]! Hit it, guys! Rest in peace, wall!”

It was unbelievable. It felt surreal. We wondered how it was possible that the people of Gaza had broken out of their prison.

Few in the world would understand our feelings in that moment. Perhaps political prisoners might.

The vast majority of the Palestinian population remaining in historic Palestine has been born in prison and only knows prison. Gaza is completely sealed off from the rest of the world by Israel’s apartheid wall and subjected to a debilitating siege, in which its neighbour Egypt happily partakes.

In the occupied West Bank, all entry and exit points of every Palestinian village, town, and city are controlled by the Israeli occupation forces; Palestinians – unlike the Israeli settlers stealing their land – have no freedom of movement.

Our imprisonment also features prison labour. With the Israeli occupation suffocating the Palestinian economy and the resulting high unemployment rate, Palestinians are forced to seek work from their prison wardens. The Israeli authorities, of course, strictly control this process, issuing Palestinians “work permits” and often arbitrarily revoking them.

As in a real prison, we are also subjected to round-the-clock surveillance through cameras in public places, drones, the tapping of phones and telecommunications, a network of infiltrators and spies, etc.

And of course, just like prisoners, we are “punished” for “misbehaving”. In Gaza, punishment means indiscriminate bombardment of densely populated areas that always results in the mass killing of civilians.

In the West Bank, we are subjected to “search-and-arrest raids” on a nightly basis, where occupiers invade our homes, brutalise our loved ones in front of terrified children and take them away (sometimes the children themselves) to detain them indefinitely without charge. Shooting dead Palestinian civilians in those raids is, of course, a regular occurrence.

In this context, seeing those images and videos of the prison wall torn down in Gaza is liberating. Their symbolic power cannot be overstated.

We felt the same exhilaration back in 2021 when we heard the news that six Palestinian political prisoners had broken out of Israeli prison. They had dug a tunnel out of jail using spoons, pieces of metal, and loads of patience.

That prison break became an emblem of Palestinian perseverance. Palestinians cheered on the prisoners as they evaded their prison wardens for days. We celebrated their simple acts of savouring freedom – eating a prickly pear for the first time in 20 years, hugging a cow, walking in the hills of Nazareth. We breathed freedom with them, as if we were also free.

The liberating feeling of breaking out of prison has also come from our brave imprisoned hunger strikers. In 2011, Khader Adnan, who had been detained by the Israelis on and off without a charge for a decade, started a hunger strike against yet another unjust detention. He was joined by hundreds of Palestinian prisoners. Despite threats and mistreatment, he persevered until enough pressure built up and Israel was forced to release him. We also celebrated Adnan’s freedom as if it were our own.

These brief moments of rupture in our reality of imprisonment are at once terrifying and exhilarating. Of course, they are always short-lived – brief instances of Palestinian triumph before the unbearable weight of Israeli military domination comes back crushing us.

The initial euphoria of seeing the apartheid wall come down in Gaza was quickly overtaken by the terrifying realisation of what would come next.

We knew war broke out the moment Palestinians in Gaza broke out of their Israeli prison. My conversations with peers and friends, my group chats, phone calls – all were dominated by the same dark premonition: “They are going to kill us all.”

We know, from direct experience, what Israel’s policy of revenge means. We also know that no matter what savagery its army commits, the West would “stand by” it and point to “Palestinian crimes”.

Israel had waged five wars on Gaza, each time mass killing Palestinian civilians as Western leaders justified the slaughter with the familiar mantra “Israel has the right to defend itself.”

And of course, that is exactly what is happening now. Israel is carpet bombing Gaza. It has imposed a full blockade on Gaza, with no water, electricity, food or medicine entering the Strip. Telecommunications infrastructure has been bombarded, effectively cutting off Palestinians in Gaza from the rest of the world. Meanwhile, the West Bank has been completely blocked; checkpoints closed all across, effectively paralysing the whole territory. Israeli soldiers are shooting Palestinians and encouraging settlers to do so as well.

And yet, the West is “standing by” its ally, Israel, and its “right to defend itself” from the people it brutally occupies and oppresses. Western nations are lapping up Israeli propaganda, that it is fighting “Islamic terrorism”, that “Hamas is ISIS”, that Palestinians are “sub-human”, that they are “beheading babies”. All pretences of morality, logic and truth have been dropped in order to justify the mass killing of Palestinians.

In the past seven days, the Israeli army has killed more than 2,200 Palestinians in Gaza, including 600 children. Its soldiers have murdered at least 53 Palestinians in the West Bank. Since the start of the year, 250 others have been killed, making it the most lethal year since the United Nations began documenting fatalities in 2004-2005.

All of this we expected. All of this still is painful and horrifying. All of this will go down into Palestinian history as yet another episode of resistance by the Palestinians and mass slaughter and ethnic cleansing by Israel.

However, unlike other moments in Palestinian history, something is different this time. Not only did Palestinians manage to break free from their prison in Gaza – albeit for a short while – but also for the first time, they dealt a blow that will have a far-reaching impact.

The Palestinians have struck Israel where it has struck Palestinians for more than 75 years: lives and land. The Israeli arrogance and sense of security that it can oppress, kill and steal land with impunity have been shattered.

We’ve been held hostage by Israel for decades. We’ve been prisoners in our land for generations. But this October, the wimpy kid finally got his punch and the bully is now shaken.

As our oppressors are out killing indiscriminately in blind rage, an uncomfortable feeling is creeping in among them that the prison they are holding us in is starting to crumble.

Mariam Barghouti
Palestinian American writer based in Ramallah.

Mariam Barghouti, may she be heard.

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 00:00 on Oct 15, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It is time to create greater isreal.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Too Many Birds posted:

tehran is surrounded by mountains it would be an extremely difficult city to attack

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mawarannahr posted:

interesting the top secret mission agenda was printed on color ink... hope they used a color laser. wonder how much printer ink and toner are officially allowed by Israel into Gaza.

heh. color ink laser. i can tell by the pigments, and having carried quite a few printers in my day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Danru posted:

I would put a limited US invasion of Iran as possible in the next month.

You're dumb