Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, do the keys even do anything, other than open gates?

Like, seriously, over the course of this comic, have we actually seen someone do something with a key that they couldn't have done without a key?

Ride the Lightning, without any trace of 'forbidden arts and dark science.' Also manifest and fire the Ten Cubit Spear, among other things, and manifest knife-proof eyeballs and skin.

I do not think that Allison is meant to be so simply super-cool that she could make her eyeball break a knife simply by willing it, as a trainee of White Chain.

Allison has grown into a vast power, but I'm pretty sure ripping it out of her head would significantly reduce her ability to shatter mountains and carve through cities. Now, it has nothing to do with her ability to resist the Maybe Sword, which is in the pure affirmation of life and will which she makes, but in terms of the rest of it she's using the key.

The keys are not the be-all of power - Ki Rata doesn't need it, and sorcery doesn't solely require it. But they are a vast source of power that can be used for many things, as well as the individual keys to entire worlds. The Red God wants them because he wants enough raw power to face Metatron; I do not think Jagganoth of all beings is depicted as using training wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I disagree with the idea that White Chain needs no training, just motivation -- Allison has just now grown into her key, after training with two demiurges.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

wiegieman posted:

White Chain doesn't necessarily need Ki Rata, but she does need someone to teach her how to use the key, and fast.

What White Chain needs is someone to teach her Key Rata, I suggest going to the Kingdom Hearts universe.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

girl dick energy posted:

I think the keys aren't so much a magic feather as they are... training wheels? A Key of Kings doesn't let you do things you couldn't, but it sure as gently caress makes it easier.

Which, in this extended metaphor, means that part of the reason the other demiurges will never be true Royalty is that they're too afraid of falling over to ever ride free. And White Chain has spent her entire life being taught the only true path is rollerblading and that bicycles bring nothing but ruin, so of course she's not happy about being forcibly given training wheels for a bike she didn't want.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I do not think Jagganoth of all beings is depicted as using training wheels.

I think a key is less training wheels for a bicycle and more like top of the line suspension and a tricked out turbo charger for a car. In theory, things are going to be easier to handle, and you will have more power. Whether you slap those bad boys on a 20 year old sedan (Allison back in the day) or a high end sports car (Allison now, or Jag, etc. as not all sports cars are equal), well, YMMV as they say.

:iiaca:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the key let Allison zorptch back into throne with little knowledge and a whole load of will.
What it didnt make give is that force of will and strength she needed.

Before you learn how to do things you need learn that you can.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

ConfusedUs posted:

I love the dialogue in this comic. "...and later he drowned" tells us, in very few words, that this emperor was badass enough to survive being thrown through a mountain, but not badass enough to survive landing in the sea, likely miles from land.

Classic mistake, he should have known not to ignore movement abilities, it's the most easily broken part of any build.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

HE'S DOING IT, HE'S FISHING

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Whirling posted:

I bet he's going to pull an entire whale through the ice or something equally ridiculous

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Incubus explained how a key works and what it does for you pretty concisely without car analogies

The real magic wasn't inside you all along, but giving the spark of God that leaves you only limited by your own will and imagination to an apostate angel is a pretty mean prank

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 14, 2023

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My understanding is that the keys are, primarily, basically a power source that can be used for whatever application. if you’re a skilled wizard or practitioner of martial arts breathing bullshit then you can use a key to amplify and augment that ability significantly, well beyond what any notmal practitioner could be expected to do, but if you’re some normal dipshit like early story allison you can really only make use of that power when your desperation/anger/emoooootion reaches such heights that you take leave of your senses and stop giving a poo poo about the rules of reality.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

what if you used a key to open a really big chest and there was a skeleton inside

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

what if you used a key to open a really big chest and there was a skeleton inside

The skeleton probably knows magic kung-fu.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
There are skeletons inside most people's chests, whether they're really big or otherwise

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

There are skeletons inside most people's chests, whether they're really big or otherwise

JESUS HOW DO WE GET THEM OUT THAT'S TERRIFYING

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Wet skeletons.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have skeletons in my titties? :ohdear:

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

the holy poopacy posted:

also didn't salami dave used to be bald?

that's totally a comb-around beard, isn't it

He used to be hairless except for his beard which implies dude waxed for millennia

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

TK-42-1 posted:

He used to be hairless except for his beard which implies dude waxed for millennia

reach heaven through violence indeed

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

girl dick energy posted:

No that's where the ghosts are

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

girl dick energy posted:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

lmao "the skeletons are NOT GAY okay?? we put this bone plate on so you don't think they're gay"

Skyelan
Sep 17, 2007

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

The keys grant you supernatural power, but they don't make you a better person. You just do stupid things faster with more energy.

Oh, so it's PowerThirst™.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

TK-42-1 posted:

Through magical martial arts breathing bullshit he just sucked the hair right back into his pores

"Waxing." Imagine. :smuggo:

coulda sworn we had a :smugdave: emote for a while there

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Phy posted:

Through magical martial arts breathing bullshit he just sucked the hair right back into his pores

there’s :enkidel: from the PL thread

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Fister Roboto posted:

Oh, so it's PowerThirst™.

Salami Dave definitely engaged in power lifting and power spawning babies. So many babys. 400 failsons.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
I have to say I'm surprised people are reading Solomon David hanging out fishing and gruesomely murdering the odd highwaymen while a cosmic army goes about annihilating the universe as personal growth, or a step towards Royalty? I'm seeing it as his long-foreshadowed personal crisis?

His whole thing is being the diamond - almost completely indestructible, but when it does break it shatters completely, because it can't yield or bend at all.

In the tournament White Chain didn't beat him, or even manage to draw the single drop of blood. But she "won" because just bonking him on the nose once made him fall short of the impossible standard he sets for himself. The same thing happened on a larger scale when Jagganoth invaded - he actually did really well! After 6 demiurges and an ascended human-devil-angel wielding the power of God failed to beat Jag, he single-handedly managed to imprison him somewhere for 3 years. If they'd regrouped the remaining demiurges and their empires to fight Jagg's army then, they'd be in a much better position.

But having his capital city wrecked completely breaks Dave. He can't accept a qualified victory with massive losses, or a defeat that gives you time to regroup and try again, or an uphill battle against the odds - he sees himself as a completely inviolate invulnerable God, so anything less than total victory completely shatters his self-image. This is in contrast to Alison who's capable of picking herself up, down a girlfriend and some limbs, and trying again.

I don't think he's had a revelation that he needs to allow people the freedom to define their own destiny or anything, she's finding him in the God-King equivalent of being passed out surrounded by bottles of whisky in a post-divorce motel room

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Magnus Manfist posted:

I don't think he's had a revelation that he needs to allow people the freedom to define their own destiny or anything, she's finding him in the God-King equivalent of being passed out surrounded by bottles of whisky in a post-divorce motel room

Then why did he bother killing all those bandits? He could have easily just hung out fishing without making things better. Or he could have easily conquered the planet, even without the key. Instead he stopped the violence (with more violence but that's the tool he's got) and immediately hosed off to do fishing, letting people decide their own fate. He's probably depressed but also, he's learned something.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Phy posted:

I can only recall this one, which I don't think got made into an emote.

Magnus Manfist posted:

I have to say I'm surprised people are reading Solomon David hanging out fishing and gruesomely murdering the odd highwaymen while a cosmic army goes about annihilating the universe as personal growth, or a step towards Royalty? I'm seeing it as his long-foreshadowed personal crisis?
It's the same school of thought that says Meti achieved royalty and lived a relatively contented life in a barrel, rather than gave in to nihilism and pissed away decades of her existence in a barrel.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

WHITE CHAIN: (matter of factly) ...There are no fish in this pond.

SOLOMON: Chain, it's not about the actual fish themselves. (exasperated) The fish are not important in this context.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

ConfusedUs posted:

I love the dialogue in this comic. "...and later he drowned" tells us, in very few words, that this emperor was badass enough to survive being thrown through a mountain, but not badass enough to survive landing in the sea, likely miles from land.

“Later,” like he was swimming or walking along the sea floor for quite a while before it happened.

Hey we’re probably going to find out his muffled answer to White Chain’s wish now.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Solomon is actually fishing for the dead king.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Potato Salad posted:

SOLOMON: Chain, it's not about the actual fish themselves. (exasperated) The fish are not important in this context.

Wish I had that Solomon 'magnificent' gif as an emote right about now

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Magnus Manfist posted:

This is in contrast to Alison who's capable of picking herself up, down a girlfriend and some limbs, and trying again.
Alison was trained by Pale "Every Massacre Is A Feast" Bolt, and it shows.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Magnus Manfist posted:

Actually allowing himself to acknowledge his crisis is a step up for him, if not as a ruler than at least as, like, a person.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Then why did he bother killing all those bandits?

They kept scaring the fish

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Whirling posted:

its not quite grilling, but fishing is also one of the Sanctioned Acts

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

if you defeat it you get a really big leather shield, duh

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

if you defeat it you get a really big leather shield, duh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r26rg8g5ks8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Potato Salad posted: