Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irae
Nov 19, 2011
The only reason my playtime has stopped going up constantly since launch is we hit a game breaking bug in our latest MP game.

If you manage to fix that (combat decision prompt for one player gets hidden by an event so they can't confirm it and everyone is stuck) I may never stop playing. Even more with the possibility of giving goblins tanks and guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Guns, guns, guns! and tanks! yes thank you.

Edit: To make this not a complete nonsense post, I'm a little iffy about 5 points with picks at 2 and 3 for racial trait selection. Assuming that is the starting amount (which I don't know for sure). That leaves a bit of a weird "you always get 2 traits but you can take a lower value or a higher value one". Obv, haven't played around with it and all but my immediate instinct was "shouldn't that be 6 points to offer a bit of breadth of choice?"

Autsj fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 12, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I imagine that is so they can scale the power so you can't take two 3 pointers and you got to settle for a 2, while still leaving you open for double 2's for whatever reason.

Though you could likely just add "minor" and "greater" racial traits instead, but this opens room in the future for 1 4 and 5 point traits.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 12, 2023

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
Yeah if there are 1 pointers then this system kinda rounds itself out.

Edit: as someone on the discord noted: a few frames before the overlay blocks the view you can see the new Avian form seems to have 4 form traits, and there is plenty of room on the scrollbar so I guess 1 pointers confirmed?

Autsj fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 12, 2023

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I've been putting in time with some mods getting fleshed out, but once November hits I'm probably gonna rack up the hour count because I need my drat guns

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is this a change we can go back and apply to our custom races or do we have to build them over from scratch?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Your race being athletic or having tamed dire bear mounts is on the same level as being really stinky.

I imagine since they scrolled all the way to the bottom of the 3's for traits we will see climate adaptation traits as 1's and you'd be perfectly happy to take a couple 2's like keen eye + overwhelm tactics and toss in desert or snow adaptation.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 12, 2023

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Is this a change we can go back and apply to our custom races or do we have to build them over from scratch?

You can almost certainly simply adjust your custom factions without trouble, though I suspect those saved in the Pantheon might remain as they were before (since there is no way to edit those directly as of right now).

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

I asked this on the Discord and no answer yet. I suppose we'll all be replaying our ascended godir again

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
That new stinky racial trait is going on my not-Clan Pestilens build, absolutely

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
There are indeed 1 point traits, the Terrain Adaptation ones are single point, but also some minor stat boosts like extra health and vision range.

For your custom races, the system will try and keep the traits you've already selected. This might mean you end up with too many (or too few) points spent, in which case you need to fix it manually in the leader customization screen (i.e. edit the existing race).

Note that one trait was also removed (we merged the 2 that affect negative status effects), which would affect that too.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Sounds like a good system and to finally make the adaptations worth picking up without hurting your races overall fighting power much, looking forward to turning the world to ice.

Also you heard it here first, save your mounted resilient 6 point races in your pantheon now (don't actually do that)

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I am ABSURDLY pleased that triumph and I share the same wavelengths.

Gleefully looking forward to how they'll do it. :allears:

Edward's gonna break down a wizard king's door and shoot them with a shotgun for the extra irony points. I'll show YOU knowing right from wrong!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm With Edward

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

quote:

With the golem patch we are introducing a new mechanic through which units dominated in combat can be permanently integrated into your armies, this is often accomplished by spending Gold or Mana.
:toot:

quote:

Reavers however, may obtain Captured units using war-spoils instead, ensuring a steady supply of meat for the grinder, or unusual auxiliaries to augment their forces.
Oooh neat.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 13, 2023

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Real life kind of conspired against me getting into this at launch, and since then it's just been a million other good games, so I'm just now committing to a real run, and man this game rocks. I'm playing on a massive map with 10 people and even then it really feels like this exotic fantasy world that's taking forever to explore and slowly conquer. It's a really great time and I hope they keep filling it out with content as long as possible because I think they have such an amazing base game going. It looks great, runs really well and just has this huge breadth of game to explore.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Was looking for info on my diplomacy UI whining on the official discord

While doing so I got to peer into 'what is the demographic of people who would join an Age of Wonders discord and post and reply to posts in the threads there'

The answer is apparently extremely verbose fans who have been playing AoW for 24 years and have very strong opinions about all the things

spiderman.meme

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011
There's a couple there that are completely insufferable, though I'm saying that as a nerd who's been playing these games for 24 (ish?) years with strong opinions so, spiderman meme indeed I guess.

I don't think there have been any significant changes to the diplo screen except more instant exit options; what specifically bothered you?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Autsj posted:

I don't think there have been any significant changes to the diplo screen except more instant exit options; what specifically bothered you?

it's been awhile, but I recall having to constantly go in and out of the diplo menu to optimize trades with AI, and the default diplo menu was not what I wanted it to be, and iirc it would reset after each trade so it was just constant clicking through

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ok I just looked, lots of complaining about this in May

plz fix negotiation posted:

ok I'm officially begging for the diplomacy menu to default to Negotiation

Or an alternate design that only has one menu and the other options are the sub option of negotiation

Allowing raw currency trades to present a slider of max amounts for that turn would help also, so you don't need to do five gold or mana trades in a row (each of which drops you out of negotiation 😭)

But yeah, if I'm doing my rounds to stock up on equipment and trade stuff, it's currently extra clicks on every friendly civ for every action

Pronouncements and the like are a few times a game thing, trades are an every turn or two thing

quote:

increasingly wishing the Diplomacy menu would default to Negotiations - I want to trade resources and items nearly every turn, I do not want to change Pronouncements or break a Defensive Pact every turn

quote:

I am slowly driving myself insane via constant use of diplomacy, it's too good to ignore, but the ui kicking you out of negotiation after every interaction and not starting there in the first place, ahhhhh

victrix fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 15, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
Hum. I'm a little disappointed the Reavers get pushed into an aggressive playstyle, I kind of was looking forward to just a guns/tech based culture, but I can live with that. It's been long enough since dragons DLC that I've started to get the hankering for more AoW4 so I'm looking forward to playing with new toys.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

victrix posted:

ok I just looked, lots of complaining about this in May

Yeah ok, none of that has really changed, apart from being able to exit diplo straight from the negotations screen instead of needing to go back to the initial screen first. Saves one click. Personally I've never ran into irritation here since I found there wasn't much to optimize per trade and I only did a few trades every couple of turns, but your mileage there obviously varies.

Bremen posted:

Hum. I'm a little disappointed the Reavers get pushed into an aggressive playstyle, I kind of was looking forward to just a guns/tech based culture, but I can live with that. It's been long enough since dragons DLC that I've started to get the hankering for more AoW4 so I'm looking forward to playing with new toys.

Yeah people on the discord were also talking about this, it looks this way but I feel like holding out on judgment here. Not starting with a whispering stone and getting extra 'stuff' from fights sounds aggressive. But since you can use the extra 'stuff' for free city negotiation and it seems you get the 'stuff' from regular clears too means that depending on how the trade-off articulates you might be able to play in a pretty similar way as before just via a different resource route/slightly different pacing.

Personally I find it amusing that the "renaissance faction" is presented as a bunch of pillaging thugs.

Edit: And ofcourse there are a few society traits to start with a whispering stone anyway so that route is still available if you really want it.

Autsj fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 15, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Autsj posted:

Personally I find it amusing that the "renaissance faction" is presented as a bunch of pillaging thugs.

Hmm, accurate.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Autsj posted:

Yeah ok, none of that has really changed, apart from being able to exit diplo straight from the negotations screen instead of needing to go back to the initial screen first. Saves one click. Personally I've never ran into irritation here since I found there wasn't much to optimize per trade and I only did a few trades every couple of turns, but your mileage there obviously varies.

:negative:

Gerblyn pls

it's one of those Pandora's boxes, I was using it to support my econ playing brutal, you *can* get away with not using it, but you're leaving money and items on the table if you do, and using it is a constant UI annoyance

actually thinking about it, that might have been one of the things that made me stop playing for a bit, optimizing diplomacy trades made me hate the latest civs (it's not as broken here, but the interface for using it is as bad or worse given the frequency needed for oPTiMaL usage)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I like that the reavers are aggressive. It sounds like what I wanted barbarians to be, but I wasn't into their low-level swarm style.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
They changed all the values of trades several times over the most recent patches, and how much you can rip off the AI, such that you don't really have to enter item negotiations constantly. Well, at least I don't.

The lux stuff with vassals is just fire and forget. Sometimes I notice a trade route got disabled for reasons and I've since overlooked renewing it. I guess that's a tad annoying but I largely have decided that is a typical player error.

Autsj
Nov 9, 2011

Rascyc posted:

They changed all the values of trades several times over the most recent patches, and how much you can rip off the AI, such that you don't really have to enter item negotiations constantly. Well, at least I don't.

victrix posted:

it's one of those Pandora's boxes, I was using it to support my econ playing brutal, you *can* get away with not using it, but you're leaving money and items on the table if you do, and using it is a constant UI annoyance

What Rascyc here is saying has definitely been my experience too and I kinda forgot about it. With the adjustments, the amount of times (or value) that you can squeeze an AI for resources is notably reduced in a typical game (not counting a rare game where you manage to befriend everyone). Might be worth a try to see if that feels better to you.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

:negative:

Gerblyn pls

Sorry, busy weekend! Diplomacy isn't really my area, and I wasn't really involved in the whole trading UI. Mostly I just kept asking for it to be nerfed, since it was just way too easy to convert your cehap hero equipment to huge piles of cash.

I think that we never really expected people to literally do multiplie negotiations per turn, which is why the UI's the way it is. I'm kind of struggling to see how we can fix it without causing other issues - like new users not realizing they can use proposals for example.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Gerblyn posted:

I think that we never really expected people to literally do multiplie negotiations per turn, which is why the UI's the way it is. I'm kind of struggling to see how we can fix it without causing other issues - like new users not realizing they can use proposals for example.

People are always gonna min-max poo poo so I'm not surprised it became the "meta." Fundamentally I think the issue is you want players to be able to get value out of out of date or unused items; dragons making money and mana by hoarding poo poo was a legitimately cool and funny solution but of course you gotta account for everyone else.

TBH, if it were me, I'd tackle the issue by making items sell for more and remove item trading entirely from diplomacy, just make it so you can't do that poo poo anymore but can still benefit from unused stuff. Easy way, liable to piss people off but eh. You also lose the ability to get higher tier stuff from trading but then again you guys are making item forging a thing again so that part of another big overhaul.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

toasterwarrior posted:

People are always gonna min-max poo poo so I'm not surprised it became the "meta." Fundamentally I think the issue is you want players to be able to get value out of out of date or unused items; dragons making money and mana by hoarding poo poo was a legitimately cool and funny solution but of course you gotta account for everyone else.

TBH, if it were me, I'd tackle the issue by making items sell for more and remove item trading entirely from diplomacy, just make it so you can't do that poo poo anymore but can still benefit from unused stuff. Easy way, liable to piss people off but eh. You also lose the ability to get higher tier stuff from trading but then again you guys are making item forging a thing again so that part of another big overhaul.
Yeah my big reason for dipping in and out of trades was getting more items, not less. But I can confirm that the difficulty of getting at precious NPC items and materials is one of my wife's pet peeves.

Gerblyn posted:

Sorry, busy weekend! Diplomacy isn't really my area, and I wasn't really involved in the whole trading UI. Mostly I just kept asking for it to be nerfed, since it was just way too easy to convert your cehap hero equipment to huge piles of cash.

Maybe add more ways to get to the trade screen?

Long pressing on someone's icon in the top right could spawn a menu of all diplo screens.

Add items of interest to the main diplo splash screen; e.g. if someone who has two or more of a magic material I don't have then that shows up as a clickable interaction to bring me to their trade screen with the lucky clover already on their side. Same for if they have a gold or mana surplus, tradeable territories, and their top X tradeable magic items.

Add a tab to the inventory screen that lists what NPCs will give you the most for each item and/or long-pressing a magic item shows a list of everyone you can trade it to. Selecting an NPC autosells, PCs open the trade window.

Add a toggle or tab where selecting an item slot shows both your inventory and everything you can buy from people that would fit. For NPCs you can one-click purchase right from the screen.

E: and the last two for magic materials too.

Also have you considered an auction house, he said initially as a joke but then not really.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 16, 2023

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Do we know much about item forging? Is it a free for all or will tomes and empire types and magic materials and affinity ratings and such unlock additional recipes? Is it just gold and mana in / items out or is there a new meta currency?

Can I spend souls to craft Weird Stuff?

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 16, 2023

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Splicer posted:

Do we know much about item forging? Is it a free for all or are there recipes locked behind tomes and empires and magic materials and affinity ratings and such? Is it just gold and mana in / items out or will crunching items get you item shards that are required or substantially reduce costs?

Nothing beyond the 2 second clip, but it showed things like "show locked" and items having 5 infusion points, with +1 res being 1 point and +2 being 2 points and the various materials being shown at the top of the crafting screen as either 0 or 1.
We will have to see what limits the item forging has and if it will burn resources and if you could trash your junk items for more crafting juice or if you can just fully equip your heroes in your custom bespoke codpieces.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Nothing beyond the 2 second clip, but it showed things like "show locked" and items having 5 infusion points, with +1 res being 1 point and +2 being 2 points and the various materials being shown at the top of the crafting screen as either 0 or 1.
We will have to see what limits the item forging has and if it will burn resources and if you could trash your junk items for more crafting juice or if you can just fully equip your heroes in your custom bespoke codpieces.
I'm hoping for the more restrictive options myself, I'm a very passive player but I will absolutely kill a dude if they're sitting on a magic material I need to make the perfect wizard hat.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Splicer posted:

Maybe add more ways to get to the trade screen?

I can ask! I don't think there's a way for this to wok on controller though, it would probably be mkb only.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I kind of like that idea of having an auction house, or even just a general market that's removed from diplomacy. Having a HoMM 3 style artifact merchant would be fun and provide some other ways of getting higher tier gear in the end game(like the offerings are refreshed and dependent on the level of your ruler).

Keeping items as diplomacy is just too fiddly/imbalanced against new players. Whenever someone says "trade" I have flashbacks of watching PotatoMcWhiskey in Civ 6 cycle through every Civ trying to unload his diplo-points for a few bucks here and there, to get enough points to instant build an archer. Just make a system where you can always unload your item into a blind market for a few coins when you need to, and all those items get spit out the other end as items you can buy for a slightly unreasonable price.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Gerblyn posted:

I can ask! I don't think there's a way for this to wok on controller though, it would probably be mkb only.
Everything but the first one would be as easy to navigate with a controller as equipping items is.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

PaybackJack posted:

I kind of like that idea of having an auction house, or even just a general market that's removed from diplomacy. Having a HoMM 3 style artifact merchant would be fun and provide some other ways of getting higher tier gear in the end game(like the offerings are refreshed and dependent on the level of your ruler).

Yeah I'd like higher-tier items to be available this way, and older items to be sold for more gold/mana or turned into fodder for forging or whatever they got planned for that. The Rally of the Lieges is pretty much a regular unit market already, Triumph could probably clone it for a UI.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Is it specifically excess hero equipment which is the issue here? Spoilers I guess, but the item forge is powered by a resource you get from destroying your excess hero equipment, so the next patch might make the whole question moot.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm leaking this to the dirtsheets now, pray for mercy

But yeah, good solution. Equipment economy overhaul would come hand in hand with the item forge, it's the best time to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Gerblyn posted:

Is it specifically excess hero equipment which is the issue here? Spoilers I guess, but the item forge is powered by a resource you get from destroying your excess hero equipment, so the next patch might make the whole question moot.

It's excess equipment that can be traded to other players. As a generality, being able to get a specific item from forging is find, but it's the min/maxing of low tier items that makes it cumbersome and fiddly for new players and is boring, tedious micromanagement for experienced ones.

For the record, I didn't really have a problem with this in my playthroughs, but I'm also fine with ignoring things like that and playing "suboptimally". I really just wanted a way to get specific items, not even super specific ones just ones, to support current items I picked up: such as build a shield because I found a nice 1h sword, or build some light armor because I just recruited an archer but everything I have is heavy. Seems like the forge system is going to be perfect for me.