Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

You can tell the new Lords of the Fallen is made by fake gamers. You know how in Dark Souls, you can ride an elevator down, and then before getting off, run over the pressure plate that activates it sending the elevator back up so it's ready in case you die? Can't do that in Lords of the Fallen, a gate slams down the instant an elevator activates and you can't get off of it until it reaches its endpoint. Or maybe they're so good at games they've never died in one?

Lords of the Fallen is out? Huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah would have been such a cool game mechanic if they just did everything themselves and required nothing of you. Brilliant poo poo dude.

There should be a game where you have to actively avoid speaking and helping people because youre just a fuckup that makes everything worse

Oh wait thats just my life

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Lords of the Fallen looks like the most aggressively store-brand version of dark souls to exist.

I base this on some screenshots and a few seconds of video.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

An easy way to tell if a ~"Soulslike"~ is worth playing, is if the first thing you see when you boot it up is the words "From Software". if it does, you're in the clear. If it doesn't say that, throw it in the loving trash where it belongs.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

An easy way to tell if a ~"Soulslike"~ is worth playing, is if the first thing you see when you boot it up is the words "From Software". if it does, you're in the clear. If it doesn't say that, throw it in the loving trash where it belongs.

Look at this guy who missed the boat on Lies of P being better than many Fromsoft Souls games

razamataza
Jan 2, 2006

Not having wonky hit boxes, mostly shite boss fights, and iframes tied to a stat does put Lies of P above Dark Souls 2 but that's a pretty low bar lol

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Actually, Dark Souls 2 is one of the few Soulslikes that's better than Lies of P.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dark Souls 2 is top percentage. Youngster joey Is playing it for sure

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

S Tier:
Dark souls 2, Demons Souls, Nioh 2

A Tier:
Lies of P, Dark Souls 1, Nioh, Mortal Shell

B Tier:
The Surge 2, Final Fantasy Stranger of Paradise, Sekiro, Arboria

C Tier:
Bloodborne, Hellpoint, The Surge 1, Elden Ring

F Tier:
Dark Souls 3, Wo Long, Lords of the Fallen

edit: Sekiro would be higher if it wasn't too easy, the world is cool but it's one of those games where if you ignore the "intended" way to play (perfectly timed deflects) and brute force it with blocking and aggression it's a cakewalk. Which I guess is true of pretty much all Soulslikes but Sekiro made it easier than any of the others.

And Elden Ring ranks higher on a first playthrough but it sucks for replays/continued co-op after beating it.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 14, 2023

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
"Boycotting" games made by assholes might have no impact if it's from a AAA studio and minimal impact if it's an indie, but holding off on them to not be part of the problem is cool.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

lmao imagine putting a game with Torrent in it any less than S tier, you'd have to have basically not played the game

but I guess this is the right thread for unpopular opinions so carry on

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

the best souls-like is probably Subnautica imo, second best would have to be Red Alert 3

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Horses in 3rd person action games loving suck, and actually now that you've reminded me of Elden Ring's horse I'm dropping it to C Tier.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

deep dish peat moss posted:

Horses in 3rd person action games loving suck, and actually now that you've reminded me of Elden Ring's horse I'm dropping it to C Tier.

just further proving that you didn't even play the game, since Elden Ring doesn't have any horses in it

e: This is Torrent, maybe some kind of goat/horse hybrid but definitely not a horse

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 14, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Elden Ring calls Torrent a "spirit steed" and the definition of the word "steed" is "a horse for riding", you're just getting confused because it's a very poor horse model.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I actually have no idea why but I absolutely hate riding horses in games. RDR2, Witcher 3, Zelda - all very popular games that I didn't find remotely fun, and the only common denominator is the horses. I'm playing Ghost of Tsushima right now and I refuse to use the horse. I didn't use the horse in Elden Ring except for the jump-pads that require it.

Something about the lovely mobility and momentum of horses combined with the constant need to swerve around or double back to collect things is one of my least favorite gameplay experiences.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

wait, so, is Diablo 4 third person?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not sure because I've somehow managed to avoid seeing any screenshots or videos of Diablo 4.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Elden Ring is the Ice Ice Baby of video games.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

I actually have no idea why but I absolutely hate riding horses in games. RDR2, Witcher 3, Zelda - all very popular games that I didn't find remotely fun, and the only common denominator is the horses. I'm playing Ghost of Tsushima right now and I refuse to use the horse. I didn't use the horse in Elden Ring except for the jump-pads that require it.

Something about the lovely mobility and momentum of horses combined with the constant need to swerve around or double back to collect things is one of my least favorite gameplay experiences.

The three games you mentioned all had terrible horse gameplay because all three tried to make the horse behave like an actual real life animal, that is, a living thing with its own opinion on what it wants to do that you don’t so much drive as you wrangle and cajole it in the general direction of your destination. This might be more “realistic” or “authentic” but as we all know real life sucks. I want my horse to function as a glorified motocross bike with power brakes not a bulky panicky animal that hurts its ankles on gentle slopes and takes 10 seconds to come to a stop.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

elden rings horse is bad because it lets you down during the final boss by not showing up

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

QuarkJets posted:

just further proving that you didn't even play the game, since Elden Ring doesn't have any horses in it

e: This is Torrent, maybe some kind of goat/horse hybrid but definitely not a horse

Wow, maybe you didn't play it since Radhan's tiny horse doesn't even count as a horse to you?! Loretta's horse?!?!

Guess you didn't get past the tutorial, since you didn't meat the tree sentinels horse? Go back to FIFA and Call of Duty.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think Radhan has a donkey

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Elden ring is fukken horse city man

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Wow, maybe you didn't play it since Radhan's tiny horse doesn't even count as a horse to you?! Loretta's horse?!?!

Guess you didn't get past the tutorial, since you didn't meat the tree sentinels horse? Go back to FIFA and Call of Duty.

Radhan does not have a horse he is clearly riding a mule, IDIOT

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Disco Pope posted:

Loretta's horse?!?!

No one gives a poo poo about your OC fan fiction

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Ocarina of Time might be the first 3D horse riding experience ever made in a game and it still somehow controls the best.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm going to realpost about Elden Ring

It was a fun game to play through for sure and I see why it was the most commercially successful Souls game but the whole open-world thing is just abysmal for replays. The world was fun to explore the first time through but on a replay you know that 90% of the little side locations and dungeons have nothing valuable inside, and there's no particular reason to do them again. So you're left with a giant world where the fun-to-replay parts ("legacy dungeons") are spread out across vast distances. When I've tried replaying it I end up just sprinting past most of the content and beelining to the good parts, and it feels like a poorly-paced Dark Souls.

Also in the process of making co-op more accessible it made it incredibly un-fun - almost all of the co-op happens through summoning pools and if you try to be a phantom in a summoning pool you just get summoned to tiny bullshit caves and catacombs with like 4 enemies and an unexciting miniboss in them over and over. You can try doing oldschool sign-dropping co-op but the vast majority of players just grab someone from the summoning pool so depending on your level and etc. it can be very difficult to get traditionally-summoned at places. Then there's password summoning - which is great for co-op with a specific person, but it creates a much larger spread of player levels that thins out the available playerbase for non-password summoning, and that problem is exacerbated by the non-linear structure of the game so there aren't even appropriate summoning level ranges for different areas. All in all it vastly thins out the available playerbase for traditional-type summoning/co-op.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

QuarkJets posted:

Radhan does not have a horse he is clearly riding a mule, IDIOT

Actual From lore is incredibly deep and it's under debate if its a mule or a horse because they mean different things in Japan

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Elden Ring is high resolution Minecraft without the ability to place blocks.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
if you can't buy horse armor dlc for it, it wasnt a horse

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

galagazombie posted:

The three games you mentioned all had terrible horse gameplay because all three tried to make the horse behave like an actual real life animal, that is, a living thing with its own opinion on what it wants to do that you don’t so much drive as you wrangle and cajole it in the general direction of your destination. This might be more “realistic” or “authentic” but as we all know real life sucks. I want my horse to function as a glorified motocross bike with power brakes not a bulky panicky animal that hurts its ankles on gentle slopes and takes 10 seconds to come to a stop.

Yeah, after I made that post I started thinking about games where I didn't hate riding horses and one that I thought of was World of Warcraft - not to defend WoW as a good game but the horses in that game are literally nothing more than a speed buff applied to the player and horses are totally fine there. No changes to momentum or the way you jump or whatever, you just move faster with the exact same amount of mobility and control you have without the horse.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

repiv posted:

elden rings horse is bad because it lets you down during the final boss by not showing up

Ahh, just like in Shadow of the Colossus.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone should make a game that does to horse-riding what Death Stranding did to jumping your way up mountains

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

I'm going to realpost about Elden Ring

It was a fun game to play through for sure and I see why it was the most commercially successful Souls game but the whole open-world thing is just abysmal for replays. The world was fun to explore the first time through but on a replay you know that 90% of the little side locations and dungeons have nothing valuable inside, and there's no particular reason to do them again. So you're left with a giant world where the fun-to-replay parts ("legacy dungeons") are spread out across vast distances. When I've tried replaying it I end up just sprinting past most of the content and beelining to the good parts, and it feels like a poorly-paced Dark Souls.

Also in the process of making co-op more accessible it made it incredibly un-fun - almost all of the co-op happens through summoning pools and if you try to be a phantom in a summoning pool you just get summoned to tiny bullshit caves and catacombs with like 4 enemies and an unexciting miniboss in them over and over. You can try doing oldschool sign-dropping co-op but the vast majority of players just grab someone from the summoning pool so depending on your level and etc. it can be very difficult to get traditionally-summoned at places. Then there's password summoning - which is great for co-op with a specific person, but it creates a much larger spread of player levels that thins out the available playerbase for non-password summoning, and that problem is exacerbated by the non-linear structure of the game so there aren't even appropriate summoning level ranges for different areas. All in all it vastly thins out the available playerbase for traditional-type summoning/co-op.

As I person who only plated the first two DS games, this sounds very much like a niche problem. I couldn't ever imagine finding the hours to replay DS2 that poo poo was huge, so a totally open-ended exploration sounds great.

The summoning thing I have no comments on, I pulled the plug when playing so I'd never get anything but NPC ghosts. Yes this is the unpopular opinion thread, why do you ask?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sounds like you'd also hate games where you can drive cars, like GTA? Or is it just horses specifically because you're a speciesist?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've played through Dark Souls 2 at least 9 times, which is astounding for me because it's pretty rare that I replay a game even once. I bought it 3 times (original on PS3, original on PC, Scholar of the First Sin on PC) and did at least 3 playthroughs each time. It's the only game that I've ever even bought on multiple platforms. Probably my favorite game of all time. One of those playthroughs was after DS3 came out and I thought it was terrible so I decided to go back to the good one after beating it.

I did a lot of replays of DS1 too because the old Bottomless Box glitch made it fun as hell to play through as gimmick builds.

QuarkJets posted:

Sounds like you'd also hate games where you can drive cars, like GTA? Or is it just horses specifically because you're a speciesist?

I don't even like cars in real life, much less in video games!!

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 15, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

galagazombie posted:

World of Warcraft has the best mounts in a game. They pop up instantly under your riding them and it steers exactly like your normal movement except faster because literally it does is increase your movement speed, which is what you want. Even flying is the same except you can go up and down too. That's the platonic ideal mount imo. Just make me go faster, not faster and weirder.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The Moon Monster posted:

wait, so, is Diablo 4 third person?

I mean, it's not exactly first person.

The camera is still top down rather than over the shoulder, if that's what you're imagining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

I agree, my 100 hour playthrough was a very satisfying experience but I can't fathom the idea of replaying it ever again.