Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Darke GBF posted:

I have an old t-shirt I drape over my headset whenever it is not in use.
I have a small towel I drape over the HMD when not in use. Protects it both against dust and stray sunlight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

anyway of reducing the price of eleven table tennis? one of these referral codes or something?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Chadzok posted:

anyway of reducing the price of eleven table tennis? one of these referral codes or something?

https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/1995434190525828/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=2&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Chadzok posted:

E:f;b

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

sick thanks mate will buy in a bit

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cool
https://www.uploadvr.com/quest-3-depth-api-mixed-reality-dynamic-occlusion/
https://www.uploadvr.com/content/media/2023/10/Quest-3-dynamic-occlusion-Depth-API-test.mp4

I guess Quest 3 will have hefty software updates for the next year, similar to what the Quest 2 had.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Picked up a Quest 3, had to reset it this morning because some weird ghost arm thing made of translucent polygons was showing up on the displays. I know it wasn't screen damage because it had 3D perspective. It's slowly fading because it must have had a flicker to it causing image retention on the IPS displays (or they're doing some overdrive in the LCD panels for better response times maybe?).

Otherwise I'm very satisfied - coming from a Quest 1 it's nice to have a system that's usable again, basically. I'm a bit annoyed at myself for avoiding Bonelabs on PC when it came out because of the sniffy reviews (and it being busted on Index) because I'm finding it a lot of fun, especially untethered. Moss was transformed from when I played on PCVR too because of the wider sweet spot of the lenses - being able to look at stuff with your eyes instead of your head feels like as much of an improvement as the power.

On that note, has anyone tried Sairento VR on the Quest 3? I've tried any number of times reinstalling but it just immediately bombs out on launch.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
I try to keep my headset in the case at least but then I can't charge it.

Maybe with q3 I'll be an adult and buy the charging station thing so it can sit nicely on a shelf

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Got the Quest 3. After working out my networking the wireless link works all the way from my home office to my living room without any perceptible issues, so that's pretty good.

How do these referral codes work, did I screw up by already setting up my device? I'd use one for Beat Saber.

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Yeah, I’m very impressed with how Air Link works on my old WiFi 6 router. Compared to the Index there’s so much less friction to getting into VR and the quality and latency are surprisingly good for something that just runs across my network.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I know everyone knows this, but Red Matter 2 is seriously impressive looking on the Quest 3. Looks and runs better than many pcvr games on my gtx 3070 rig.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Nice Van My Man posted:

Got the Quest 3. After working out my networking the wireless link works all the way from my home office to my living room without any perceptible issues, so that's pretty good.

How do these referral codes work, did I screw up by already setting up my device? I'd use one for Beat Saber.

So, there are two types of referrals. Device referrals, where someone refer you so you buy a Quest device, it gives both you and the person who gave you the link 30€/S in their store. You screwed it up by setting up your device with your account, yep. Too late.

The second are app referrals, they are just 25% discounts for a specific app/game, and the person who gave the link gains 5€/$. Have one for Beat Saber
https://www.oculus.com/appreferrals/TurinTurambar/2448060205267927/?utm_source=oculus&utm_location=2&utm_parent=frl&utm_medium=app_referral

(honestly, I feel every time Meta presents their revenue numbers of their store the numbers are inflated, because as it's gross revenue it includes money they are putting out of their pocket in referrals).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 14, 2023

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

For peeps with a Quest 3, this is the "intro"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4jcAbfDoPI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUpckwznGXw
Puzzling Places

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nzyOJBc15A
Hellsweeper launched a few weeks ago

edit
https://www.meta.com/en-gb/experiences/5736173679792982/?utm_source=vrdb.app&utm_medium=oculusredirect
Samba de Amigo is already out, but a bit expensive and with dlc already
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peV-91KqCP8

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 14, 2023

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop
Is there a way to keep the Quest 3 charged while connected via Link? I was surprised at how quickly it drains through the same USB-C -> USB-A 3.0 cable I used with my Quest 1. Would using USB-C 3.1 make a difference?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Karsh posted:

Is there a way to keep the Quest 3 charged while connected via Link? I was surprised at how quickly it drains through the same USB-C -> USB-A 3.0 cable I used with my Quest 1. Would using USB-C 3.1 make a difference?

I have read similar comments on reddit. Some people are saying there is no easy solution, and in practical terms we shouldn't be surprised if someone releases and Y-shaped usb connector where one of the two sockets go to the pc, and the other to the wall plug.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Karsh posted:

You would either need a USB cord with "Power Injecton" to something supplying power delivery, or a PCIE USB card with power delivery. They might make hubs that can do this now too.

Your PC will be supplying 5v at maybe 2 amps, which just isn't enough.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

I have read similar comments on reddit. Some people are saying there is no easy solution, and in practical terms we shouldn't be surprised if someone releases and Y-shaped usb connector where one of the two sockets go to the pc, and the other to the wall plug.

Those already exist for Quest 2, assuming the specs are the same. That said, I have one of those cables (Kuject) and it's felt like it's been a bit fickle for me since it was a very specific plug in order, and i've had sessions where it worked perfectly followed by ones where it refused to charge for no perceivable reason.

Honestly part of me is so ready to be done with Quest because Im just so sick of the headaches extending the battery life has given me. It just seems like any of the PCVR alternatives of the moment are not great investments.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Yeah I just stick to Airlink/VD with the BoboVR battery on the M2.

Trying it on the Q3 this afternoon, since I think I finally got an adapter worked out.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Battery life on Q2 and Q3 has been no problem at all for me since I got a 45w battery to shove in a shirt pocket, though I haven't even needed it yet with the Q3 battery strap. With the Q2 I put in 8 hours nearly straight once, just needed to unplug the battery and put in on the fast wall charger, then plug it back into the headset an hour later. Virtual desktop w/Wifi6 is far better than plugged-in link anyway.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Resist is 40% off, for that price is a nice game
https://www.meta.com/en-gb/experiences/3683568971682157/

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

anyone getting a line of light leak on the right hand side next to the screen? sometimes happens naturally but if I pull slightly at the front of the headset I can make it happen

might be a return and swap

edit: might just be a reflection up the side of the lenses from the nose gap.. hard to tell

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 14, 2023

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
^^^ I noticed this too, and placing my hand up behind my head I could block it out, so yeah there is just some bleed somewhere.

I recently got the quest 3 for my gf, but mostly to test drive it for myself. I do plan on eventually getting my own. But I am curious how app sharing works. She has an account on oculus but I notice I can switch to my account and there is some notion of app sharing. If I purchase apps on my account and enable sharing can she play every and any game I purchase on the oculus store on her account when she switches back?

Followup: If I do end up buying my own Quest 3, will she and I be able to play at the same time even though I own the app and was only sharing it with her? Or does sharing only work when I am not actively playing the title (or any title)?

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Turin Turambar posted:

So, there are two types of referrals. Device referrals, where someone refer you so you buy a Quest device, it gives both you and the person who gave you the link 30€/S in their store. You screwed it up by setting up your device with your account, yep. Too late.

Turns out there's a way to still get the money referral. I followed the instructions here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MetaReferrals/comments/175sygy/meta_quest_3_claim_referral_after_setting_up/
and now I'm living it up with my free copy of Beat Saber.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Question about HL: Alyx with Air Link on my Quest 3/Quest 2 (same thing happens on both):

The game runs fine but objects are jittery, especially if I get close and move around them. I think this is related to position tracking but I don't know how to troubleshoot it besides making sure my room is extra bright. Anyone have an idea?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Question about HL: Alyx with Air Link on my Quest 3/Quest 2 (same thing happens on both):

The game runs fine but objects are jittery, especially if I get close and move around them. I think this is related to position tracking but I don't know how to troubleshoot it besides making sure my room is extra bright. Anyone have an idea?

are you sure you're actually hitting framerate? my guess would be that you're not and you're getting reprojection

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Anyone want to post a referral code real fast? I’ll factory reset my q3 and try it.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Question Time posted:

Anyone want to post a referral code real fast? I’ll factory reset my q3 and try it.

https://www.meta.com/referrals/link/Tip

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TIP posted:

are you sure you're actually hitting framerate? my guess would be that you're not and you're getting reprojection

Yeah that might actually be it. I set the resolution back to 100% and turned the game settings down a bit and the tracking stutter has calmed down a lot. Maybe a 3080 Ti doesn’t go as far as I’d thought.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Tiny Timbs posted:

Yeah that might actually be it. I set the resolution back to 100% and turned the game settings down a bit and the tracking stutter has calmed down a lot. Maybe a 3080 Ti doesn’t go as far as I’d thought.

It should. (Well idk about like 4k or something native, but yeah.)
Turn off motion smoothing as well.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Oct 15, 2023

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Turin Turambar posted:

Yep this exists, it was designed for Quest 2 but I can confirm it works great for quest 3
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2QPSWSF

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

HL:Alyx had a lot of little bugs causing it to randomly get jittery back in the day, like, early in the Quest 2's life.

I used to have a way to fix it, because I'd get it running at a good frame rate one day then jittery weirdness the next and through a lot of trian and error had figured out some stuff. Problem is I don't remember it all except the stuff that probably wouldn't work (guardian had a bug that would do that, right? And you'd need to completely reset/disable the guardian? And for that HL was just a game that it was very apparent in for some reason)

But I hadn't heard anyone complain about that stuff in a real long time so I assumed it had all been fixed. Maybe not though, but everyone had just already played HL:Alyx lol

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just a heads up, Meta sells a 2-year accident protection plan for roughly 8% of the purchase price, and you can get it within 60 days of purchasing your headset.

So if any of you klutzes break it 50 days in... hint hint https://www.meta.com/quest/meta-warranty-plus/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BrainDance posted:

But I hadn't heard anyone complain about that stuff in a real long time so I assumed it had all been fixed. Maybe not though, but everyone had just already played HL:Alyx lol

It doesn’t get patched very often and most of the forums commentary I can find is from two years ago so yeah I think it has just passed into “old VR game” territory.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I got Dungeons of Eternity last night, with the plan to play it for just under 2 hours and return it if it sucks, and came out quite impressed. It's not like most of the average quality native games we see too much of now.

The visuals, sound design, music, combat, physics, online co-op system, enemy variety, it's really good. It looks like a Quest 3 game, and not a Quest 2 game with some minor enhancements.

Haven't had enough time to see how good the leveling and gear system is, or if the environment variety holds up well. Maybe someone who's put a lot of time in the game can chime in on all that.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Just a heads up, Meta sells a 2-year accident protection plan for roughly 8% of the purchase price, and you can get it within 60 days of purchasing your headset.

So if any of you klutzes break it 50 days in... hint hint https://www.meta.com/quest/meta-warranty-plus/

Thats a good deal. I paid out the rear end for a 1 year Microcenter extended warranty. Granted, store warranties are more convenient. But I paid like $70.

Why? Because all Quest 2 controllers get stick drift and become broken if you use them as much as I did.

Completely removing the thumbstick, and spraying contact cleaner in there, helps a lot at first. Then it helps less, then it only helps for one session. Then its not worth the hassle anymore.

I really, really hope that Meta is using a new design with the thumbsticks so this doesn't happen again.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Zero VGS posted:

Amazon's Asurion plan was 3 years for $61

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If you have Best Buy Total or whatever they’re calling it now all the stuff you buy from them has their 2 year protection plan

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tiny Timbs posted:

I don't know what you were doing with the resolution but Alyx ran fine on my old 1060, it should be buttery smooth on a 3080 Ti.

metztli
Mar 19, 2006
Which lead to the obvious photoshop, making me suspect that their ad agencies or creative types must be aware of what goes on at SA
I just got my Question 3, and have a reasonable library of steam games I can do with pcvr - can anyone recommend some good “god” games?

I have Deism and Universe Sandbox but I’d love something like Everything but in VR. Am I missing some others?

Has Skyrim VR gotten better? Or are there any really big sandbox games for vr? I played No Mans Sky in vr when it first game got that capability but it felt super jank.

Also, anyone have any mixed reality stuff they’re really liking? I’d love some sort of building game that would let me make stuff on top of my coffee table or something like that.

Edit: also, would it be worth getting pro controllers? I don’t mind spending a few bucks if they’re a serious step up. If not, I guess I can hope hand tracking keeps getting better.

metztli fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What was bad about SkyrimVR? I'm thinking about trying it out with one of those mega modpacks (Yggdrasil)