Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Malsangoroth posted:

My favorite part is how you can see things go off the rails from the cover art alone.

Why yes, I am judging a book by its cover. :colbert:
l o loving l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

To actually talk about the gyaru show for a second, I read the manga and I think it might be one of the worst hot gyaru dates loser nerd stories I've seen? Like, the most rote romance beats imaginable, no real character development for either party, and it's all-in on the "we shouldn't do sex stuff because you should treasure yourself" thing in a way that feels even more gross and patronising than it usually does?
Which gyaru show does this refer to

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
how many pages long are we gonna talk about how many people accidentally read a guy's daughter loving fantasy novels

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Which gyaru show does this refer to

The Experienced You and The Inexperienced Me

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Colonel posted:

how many pages long are we gonna talk about how many people accidentally read a guy's daughter loving fantasy novels

Arknights: Perish in Frost is about a guy's adopted daughter perishing in frost instead.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Getting better at summarizing the plot in those long anime titles, I see

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i just assume anytime anyone wont stop posting about it that they jack off to it and pretending to be disgusted by it is their fetish. its a good rule to live by.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

Given how many photos in this Rorschach test are my mom and dad fighting, I figured it was necessary to specify which side this fell on.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Malsangoroth posted:

My favorite part is how you can see things go off the rails from the cover art alone.

Why yes, I am judging a book by its cover. :colbert:

lmao, only two volumes until they have her doing the Instagram GF meme.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Anyway, Metallic Rouge and Kaiju both got new trailers. Kaiju especially looks and sounds great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5YYkvoUGk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwF7bhvnCxI

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

At least the covers collage is funny

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Kaiju 8 is a pretty good battle spectacle with story, setting and characters that start out as interesting, but end up being thoroughly wasted, so its best bet is probably getting Demon Slayer'ed.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Spy x Family and A Returners Magic Should Be Special time.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kaiju 8 is just Bleach and that's why it's good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also they're making two bocchi the rock recap movies (most of the staff is on frieren hence the reason why no s2 announcement yet)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is there enough material for two movies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Is there enough material for two movies

its a 4 hour show so it'll basically be the entire show just split across two movies

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Does it count as a recap if it takes as much time as the original?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
compilation film

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Does it count as a recap if it takes as much time as the original?

there are guys on youtube who recap 22 minute anime episodes in 3 hours so sure why not

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
They are going to add in about 1 hour of Kikuri rolling on the floor in a state of drunken stupor for the true fans.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

there are guys on youtube who recap 22 minute anime episodes in 3 hours so sure why not

their opinions are super valuable and constructive

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Otoha Precure starting off with our Cure's getting drunk only to end with peak cowardice on Toei's part lamo

Still good but I'm disappointed

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Otoha Precure starting off with our Cure's getting drunk only to end with peak cowardice on Toei's part lamo

Honestly I'm not as disappointed with the temporary deaging as I am with them literally copy/pasting the transformation from GoGo (complete with Nozomi suddenly being back in her school uniform)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They even reused the attack animation. It's super funny in the Capcom keeps reusing that old Morrgian sprite forever way!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

They even reused the attack animation. It's super funny in the Capcom keeps reusing that old Morrgian sprite forever way!

All that said the fight itself was pretty decent at least (one of the advantages of not having to kowtow to parents in regards to violence I guess)

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Otoha Precure starting off with our Cure's getting drunk only to end with peak cowardice on Toei's part lmao

One day we'll get a post-magical-girl series about adult women transforming into frilly outfitted warriors, without that being the punchline to a joke. That day is not this day, sadly.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

And no I'm not counting Spec Ops Asuka because it was poo poo.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Nanoha StrikerS did that, though by Strikers the outfits we're definitely more mecha inspired

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Malsangoroth posted:

And no I'm not counting Spec Ops Asuka because it was poo poo.

Spec Ops Asuka was about teenagers anyway.

Weirdly enough, Magical Girl Raising Project, despite the standard 14-year-old heroine, had magical girls of all ages. It didn't really make much use of this, though, because, even more than Spec Ops Asuka, it just wasn't very good; the adult characters' lack of emotional maturity stretched credibility a bit, frankly. (It did have a reveal that one of the magical girls was significantly younger than the heroine, in an attempt to justify the younger girl's unusual psychology, but that stretched credibility even more.)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Malsangoroth posted:

One day we'll get a post-magical-girl series about adult women transforming into frilly outfitted warriors, without that being the punchline to a joke. That day is not this day, sadly.

While it was also a joke and a very minor character, Miss Kuroitsu From the Monster Department had a grown up magical girl who was still very visibly an adult (though slightly younger/prettied up) when she transformed. It also played that kind of straight, but had clear love and respect for said character (and everyone else in that scene, and all the genres it spoofed) because Miss Kuroitsu rules and you should watch it.

It also had a Magical Girl duo as major characters, one of whom happened to be a boy who became a girl. One of the plots in an episode had the two of them transforming and then changing clothes to attempt to infiltrate a villain organization and it was very good. No really, watch Miss Kuroitsu. The best spoofs come from a place of love and there's nothing that shows love as much as the parade of goofy, real life, Z-List UHF Tokusatsu superheroes they spotlighted.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Malsangoroth posted:

Isn't that Magilumiere?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Isn't that Magilumiere?

The only person in a frilly outfit is the boss though. And he just wears it all the time, not transforms.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
onward to Bokura Protocol.
probably gonna stick with it because its a nice insert to be like "it be neat to be good at fps games"

Seiyal
Jul 9, 2015

In my mind I just pretend. My brain is my only true friend.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Isn't that Magilumiere?

If the rumors (and the tweet) in the Magilumiere thread are correct, we’ll be getting that wish coming true here with it finally getting an anime!

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I wish the music in Paradox Live was good.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

haypliss posted:

I wish the music in Paradox Live was good.

yeah, it could have been cool but the music is pretty fuckin' bad for it to be a music anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its better than hypnosis mic tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

i havent seen the second ep of either but the buster bros track in the s2 was probably better than anything in s1, and the BAE track really let me down. not enough rapping.

paradox looks a lot better visually, and ive heard some of the music and it seems better than hypmic's, but the premier definitely didnt impress me. i gotta catch up tho