Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I couldn't get over Nathan involving those kids the way he did in the Rehearsal. Commenting on it being exploitative doesn't make it not exploitative, it just felt kinda lovely having that poor kid want Nathan to be his dad and then using that narrative to up the emotional stakes of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I don't think he actually meant for the kid to attach to him so hard, and he tried to fix the situation.

It's a show about the weird poo poo that happens with his weird premises. I think the root of the problem was involving any kids in the first place, but Fiedler has no kids and so wouldn't realize that child acting that young is an inherently fraught process.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

It was pretty mean to make the video of that one kid's dead dog in NFY but on the other hand it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen so who's to say if it's wrong

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I don't think he actually meant for the kid to attach to him so hard, and he tried to fix the situation.

It's a show about the weird poo poo that happens with his weird premises. I think the root of the problem was involving any kids in the first place, but Fiedler has no kids and so wouldn't realize that child acting that young is an inherently fraught process.

Yeah he didn't think any of this through at all, but when that happened, he decided to include it in the show. Just lovely, there's not really a good excuse for it

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Colonel Whitey posted:

I couldn't get over Nathan involving those kids the way he did in the Rehearsal. Commenting on it being exploitative doesn't make it not exploitative, it just felt kinda lovely having that poor kid want Nathan to be his dad and then using that narrative to up the emotional stakes of the show.

a show whose primary trick is blurring the lines of fiction and reality told you the kid was attached to nathan, and you just straight up believed it

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

a show whose primary trick is blurring the lines of fiction and reality told you the kid was attached to nathan, and you just straight up believed it

So you're arguing that the show is both blurring the lines between reality and fiction, and 100% fictional when it comes to anything questionable about it

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it's reality tv... directors have more power to manipulate what the audience of the show sees than i think you realize.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Ah yes, reality tv, a genre that is well known for being very ethical and not exploitative

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The issue I'm having here is that all the direction and writing in the world can't make a kid of that age act convincingly. Either they found some insane one-in-billion child actor and got the performance of a lifetime out of him or that really happened. Which of these things seems more likely? A kid from a broken home, whose single mom needs money and so shills him out as a child actor, falls in love with playing family in a nice house with a nice man? Or the entire thing was a manipulative exercise in duplicity from Fiedler, who pretends to be concerned by causing this problem, created this kid's backstory to evoke maximal sympathy, and located a child acting phenom to execute it? Seems pretty obvious to me.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Ror posted:

It was pretty mean to make the video of that one kid's dead dog in NFY but on the other hand it's one of the funniest things I've ever seen so who's to say if it's wrong
That kid just didn't want a dog with an accent and so it was a righteous goof

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think doing an evil thing as a bit is funny.

(the kid def got attached but you still need to approach the narrative presented by the show with an amount of skepticism lol. the rehearsal is probably closer to reality than the average derren brown special but ultimately both are about magic tricks that use the structure of the shows themselves in the trick.)

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 13, 2023

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I destroyed a child's sense of trust, as a joke! Wakka wakka!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The issue I'm having here is that all the direction and writing in the world can't make a kid of that age act convincingly. Either they found some insane one-in-billion child actor and got the performance of a lifetime out of him or that really happened. Which of these things seems more likely? A kid from a broken home, whose single mom needs money and so shills him out as a child actor, falls in love with playing family in a nice house with a nice man? Or the entire thing was a manipulative exercise in duplicity from Fiedler, who pretends to be concerned by causing this problem, created this kid's backstory to evoke maximal sympathy, and located a child acting phenom to execute it? Seems pretty obvious to me.

This kind of dovetails into the Elara scandal where the cinéma vérité production/shooting style sort of enabled one of the founders/producers (who's since been kicked out) to be a pretty aggressive grooming sexpest toward young girls on the set of multiple films. The poor girl from Good Time ended up being paid with a pack of cigarettes or something wild like that. Blurring the lines in the way some of these productions do certainly can lead to worker protections falling through the cracks, it's not too hard to imagine weird/awful poo poo occurring in that liminal zone even if the end result is an artistic product that is amazing.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
This never would’ve happened if the honorable Judge Anthony Filosa had been around to advise Nathan :(

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Jewmanji posted:

This never would’ve happened if the honorable Judge Anthony Filosa had been around to advise Nathan :(

It's days like this I curse the Chinese for inventing gun powder.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
that poor kid is gonna look back at his time on “the rehearsal” as the best gig of his life. im not surprised he got attached

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
The read I got watching the show was that they truly didn't prepare for or consider if the child actor would get attached to the fantasy, so they stopped and did some follow-up work to make sure he wasn't getting like traumatized or anything

Whether or not having camera crews around while this happened was a good idea or not is up for debate but I think we can all agree that Nathan following this up by hiring another child actor to rehearse himself traumatizing a child actor is extremely funny

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

I saw their tour a few months back. They are no Lonely Island, but they are pretty good. Im down for this movie

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m not gonna say that this looks bad but like I’ve seen numerous “Sketch Troupes Make a Movie” movies and this doesn’t look better than like, Hot Rod or Mystery Team or Brigsby Bear or even that one movie the Workaholics guys made

edit: it is kinda funny how many of these movies have themes about maturing into adults/being seen as childish

edit 2: also none of these movies will ever be as good as Popstar no matter how many attempts they get

https://youtu.be/Q9RoNzJrmDo?si=qJszr5Mm8ZtucNRA

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 15, 2023

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how there have been multiple trailers for Wonka and none of them show that it is actually a musical.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m not gonna say that this looks bad but like I’ve seen numerous “Sketch Troupes Make a Movie” movies and this doesn’t look better than like, Hot Rod or Mystery Team or Brigsby Bear or even that one movie the Workaholics guys made

edit: it is kinda funny how many of these movies have themes about maturing into adults/being seen as childish

edit 2: also none of these movies will ever be as good as Popstar no matter how many attempts they geturl]

Correct.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of funny how there have been multiple trailers for Wonka and none of them show that it is actually a musical.

The most recent one moderately implies it.

It does not imply that it will be good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Matthew Vaughn was talking about his new movie at NYCC and mentioned that everything in the trailer was just from the first half hour of the movie.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8E8Ryx49so

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Replace all child actors with Ai. But robot ones, like from the movie Ai. Not just lame digital inserts.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Cord Jefferson directed a movie!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0MbLCpYJPA

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-vfg3KkV54

Me: Good photography but trailer isn't every interesting. I doubt I'll watch it.

The end credits for half a second: Written and directed by Jonathan Glazer.

Me: This is the upcoming movie I most want to see.

How the gently caress was Glazer not more prominent in this trailer? The target demo is going to be extremly drawn in by his name.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Bugblatter posted:

Me: Good photography but trailer isn't every interesting. I doubt I'll watch it.

How the gently caress was Glazer not more prominent in this trailer? The target demo is going to be extremly drawn in by his name.

Yeah this is gonna be incredible. I knew what this was gonna be when I hit play, so its hard to judge what a blind viewing would be like, but watching those little kids examine and play with the teeth is definitely a "holy poo poo" moment in the trailer.

Jewmanji fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 17, 2023

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Saw it at the London Film Festival and it was an intense experience. I reckon it will win the Best Sound Oscar, over Oppenheimer, for what it does. There's an incredibly audacious yet incredibly moving moment at the end, which the score only heightened - I was getting rather annoyed at people leaving their seats as the credits rolled as one really needs to sit through the credits with the music that's playing, it really isn't a "jump up as soon as possible" type ending.

Glazer and the two leads, a producer and the sound designer and composer (Mica Levi again) came out for a Q&A at the end, and Glazer seems like the most introverted director ever.

edit: Oh and seeing the shot in the trailer of Sandra Mueller's character trying on the fur coat it reminded me of something else they said - they shot scenes with multiple cameras hidden around the set. Yesterday I found the Martin Amis novel it's based on in a book store and looked at the first few pages - it's a very different movie to that, thankfully.

Carpet fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 17, 2023

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

What a perfunctory trailer. Seems exclusively aimed at people who've already heard about the movie.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
It's actually a very good representation of the feel of the movie, except with much quicker cuts.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Trailer seemed perfectly understandable and interesting to me as is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oOVNMjM1Jk

Michael Mann is 80 years old but you better believe this is one of my most anticipated movies :f5:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Rageaholic posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oOVNMjM1Jk

Michael Mann is 80 years old but you better believe this is one of my most anticipated movies :f5:

Looks absolutely amazing but holy poo poo I don't think I've ever hoped for "that better just be unfinished VFX" harder than in the electric pole scene. I mean that's *really really* bad for a prestige film.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIsfMO5Jd_w

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I'm excited for Napoleon but I think that trailer kinda stinks. It has all the boring modern trailer cliches

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

BonoMan posted:

Looks absolutely amazing but holy poo poo I don't think I've ever hoped for "that better just be unfinished VFX" harder than in the electric pole scene. I mean that's *really really* bad for a prestige film.

No, that is how it looks in the final film. The regular car driving/racing looks great because they did it with real cars, but when they crash it does look a bit rough.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOYrpk-A45s

New Steve McQueen doc.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What was the trailer with "Two objects in space cannot coexist?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

MonsieurChoc posted:

What was the trailer with "Two objects in space cannot coexist?"

Ferrari

...explaining that LeClerc can't be at the top of the podium simply because Verstappen refuses to step off of it.