Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

The roadmap leading up to Spring of 2024 is AdMech, Necrons, Dangles, Orks, Custodes, Tau and lastly CSM.
Won't surprise me if we don't get an update to it by the end of the year.

The upcoming GT reveal stream will probably be for the other games, and Epic 30k.

Yeah, that's why I was a little surprised when they said Necrons are coming before AdMech, but I'm not going to complain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Mr Owl posted:

And Dark Reapers/Shining Spears and that plane that totally counts

I made a handy chart.

They're actually getting there. Even discounting the plane but still including the shadow spectres, more than half of the aspect warriors are now in plastic. If they do another big Eldar release wave next year we might see two more with it, leaving just the Warp Spiders in resin.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 14, 2023

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
My FLGS didn’t get any SM codices. Worse, they were told that today starts preorders for it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
We've known they're making a Striking Scorpions kill team for like 2 years now. GW leaks like a sieve.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
I finished the bases of my Minotaurs Terminators. It's such a relief to get the final varnish on the models.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Decorus posted:

I finished the bases of my Minotaurs Terminators. It's such a relief to get the final varnish on the models.

hell yeah buddy

protomexican
May 1, 2009
I feel sorry for the stilt guy for the torque exerted on his ankles if he ever fires his gun. Did no one at GW ever take freshman physics?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

protomexican posted:

I feel sorry for the stilt guy for the torque exerted on his ankles if he ever fires his gun. Did no one at GW ever take freshman physics?

Something something gyroscopes.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

protomexican posted:

He doesn't have ankles

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Mr Owl posted:

And Dark Reapers/Shining Spears and that plane that totally counts

I forgot Dark Reapers, that's on me, but I completely missed that they actually refreshed Shing Spears. When did that happen?

If we're counting the plane we have to start counting the weird Forgeworld ones probably too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ashcans posted:

I forgot Dark Reapers, that's on me, but I completely missed that they actually refreshed Shing Spears. When did that happen?

During the last edition codex release, they came out alongside the new Rangers and Dark Reapers.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Stilt man is amazing, I’ve never laughed so much at a model. His long rear end rifle is also very fun looking. What is this things role? Mobile sniper? Looking over trees?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
stilt man is funny but the rest of this is a big old fart. those striking scorpions are ugly, the scouts are fine if unremarkable and weirdly out of place when phobos marines exist, and i had to double check that IMHOTEP was a new model at all

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cease to Hope posted:

stilt man is funny but the rest of this is a big old fart. those striking scorpions are ugly, the scouts are fine if unremarkable and weirdly out of place when phobos marines exist, and i had to double check that IMHOTEP was a new model at all

Contrariwise, I love that they're just updating the old designs to new manufacturing standards.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Scouts look way cooler than Phobos

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I wish they had helmet options

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
The stilt guy is apparently armed basically with either the Sydonian Dragoons jezzail or a Skitarii arquebus, with new and unique names. So yeah, it's a sniper. I hope it has Lone Operative, or it'll be a complete joke. :)

Whatever it's stats, I predict it'll cost about 40 pts and 50€ each.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Biker Scouts used to have the helmet mouthpieces, I wonder if they would fit. That would sort of fit the bill.

Iirc when I used one I have to make a neck out of greenstuff for it, now that I think of it

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Who knew the old "Scion helmets on Scouts" conversion would still be valid.

Almost curious how they'd look with Reiver heads.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Decorus posted:

The stilt guy is apparently armed basically with either the Sydonian Dragoons jezzail or a Skitarii arquebus, with new and unique names. So yeah, it's a sniper. I hope it has Lone Operative, or it'll be a complete joke. :)

It has lone operative and stealth

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
I think the best head option for scouts is probably going to remain those Hellblaster heads with the rebreathers.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

smug jeebus posted:

Stealth according to the same principle as that Japanese giant skeleton monster -- nobody ever looks up.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Stephenls posted:

I made a handy chart.

They're actually getting there. Even discounting the plane but still including the shadow spectres, more than half of the aspect warriors are now in plastic. If they do another big Eldar release wave next year we might see two more with it, leaving just the Warp Spiders in resin.

That's handy!

I think that every Aspect Warrior has had at least a redesign except for warp spiders. Pretty sure Hawks and Dragons are on their second versions, Striking Scorpions were on their second redesign prior to this. I think Banshees had three versions prior to plastics? Poor warp spiders, stuck with the same three models for all time.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I just noticed stilt sniper man has a mechadendrite daintily holding a reload and now I am 100% on board.

Hooray plastic Scorpions! The last two plastic Aspect refreshes had the Phoenix Lord attached - give us Karandras!

Shining Spears don't count because they don't have a Phoenix Lord.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

smug jeebus posted:

Thanks, I'd missed the whole faction preview.

I'll absolutely buy one of the stilt men, no matter how useful they actually are. Looks like it'll be easy to paint at least, though assembly, storage and transport may be a bit more of a challenge.

Unrelated, but my buddy just called my Minotaurs "discount custodians". Perfect, no notes, autocorrect and all. :discourse:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

bij posted:

Hooray plastic Scorpions! The last two plastic Aspect refreshes had the Phoenix Lord attached - give us Karandras!

Bet he comes out with the new Eldar codex.

EDIT: Random thought: The Blades of Khaine All Aspect Warriors In One Kill Team kill team should have an option like Vet Guard where you can take fewer guys and instead get access to a Crimson Hunter air strike.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 14, 2023

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Devorum posted:

Like...what the gently caress is that exhaust port cable thing?

Gives him Big Dick Energy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Decorus posted:

The Dragoon Jezzail loving sucks and I jave never seen someone even consider taking it so the new sniper yanking it is cool.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

bij posted:

Shining Spears don't count because they don't have a Phoenix Lord.

Also true for the Warp Spiders.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Ashcans posted:

Also true for the Warp Spiders.

There was lore from a few years ago about the recovery of Warp Spider Phoenix Lord armor.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

When I discovered CK War Dogs had stock issues, I thought it would be relatively isolated, but it looks like tones of kits are out of stock and heavily marked up on the secondary market, across multiple factions.

Is there any trend to this? Flipping through the marine codex, I wanted to see how kits broke down, and soooo many of them are out of stock, like hellblasters and the tanks.

Do they pop back into stock now and then, or is this just hype from codex release, or..?

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

coelomate posted:

When I discovered CK War Dogs had stock issues, I thought it would be relatively isolated, but it looks like tones of kits are out of stock and heavily marked up on the secondary market, across multiple factions.

Is there any trend to this? Flipping through the marine codex, I wanted to see how kits broke down, and soooo many of them are out of stock, like hellblasters and the tanks.

Do they pop back into stock now and then, or is this just hype from codex release, or..?

It seems like they spent a substantial portion of the last year producing copies of the Leviathan boxed set to ensure it wouldn't sell out quickly, and their ability to restock other kits suffered during that time.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

coelomate posted:

The space marine stuff will pop back in stock when the codex release hype dies down some and maybe the rules change. You couldn’t give hellblasters away like a year ago.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Ordered the special day dorf, like an idiot.

Also went to a newish LGS, and was rewarded with a Hexmark Destroyer! It feels weird being happy to pay MSRP for a GW kit, but they've been out of stock for a while, and nuts on the US secondary market.

Also, can anyone help me identify Mr. Fist here? Again, I'm dumb and cut the tab off ages ago for basing purposes.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Failson posted:

Also, can anyone help me identify Mr. Fist here? Again, I'm dumb and cut the tab off ages ago for basing purposes.

That's Captain Cortez from 3rd edition.

It's, uh, not remembered as a good sculpt.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Stephenls posted:

Contrariwise, I love that they're just updating the old designs to new manufacturing standards.

it seems like weak tea for a big announcement thing, and most of the other newer necron characters have been really fun and imaginative and dynamic. GW was really on a roll with the crypteks and their pets and machines, and the new destroyers. OTOH, IMHOTEP still looks like that kind of midhammer generic-ish named character who's meant to double as a generic guy because people didn't use named characters.

except for the incredibly weird stilt guy they all kinda have a lack of personality. the scorpions are just kinda swinging around (although the poses 100% look better in person i bet), and their pistols look oversized and disproportionate, like those ugly nerf gun designs aimed at adults. the scouts seem too attached to old old designs. they're just squarish dudes, and while their statures and motion were unique at the time, the rest of the line has left them far behind. there could have been something cool here, like all of the scouts are baby faces, or the leader has a really craggy face, or they have pre-induction trinkets, or the leader has some kind of obvious veteran marking, or something. idk the other kits were all so good so this pair feels really bland. it's just a shame.

i guess the TOW stuff is cool for the people into that

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Pre Ordered myself a Rogue Trader reprint but sad that I was too late to the party or anywhere close to getting a Dark Coil box.

Stephenls posted:

I made a handy chart.

Are Warp Spiders any good? Like would anyone actually play with them if they get plastics?

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Safety Factor posted:

That's Captain Cortez from 3rd edition.

It's, uh, not remembered as a good sculpt.

Thank you! Not sure why I bought it. It was probably 10 years ago, and knowing me, the only rational was "cheap on ebay"

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Cease to Hope posted:

it seems like weak tea for a big announcement thing, and most of the other newer necron characters have been really fun and imaginative and dynamic. GW was really on a roll with the crypteks and their pets and machines, and the new destroyers. OTOH, IMHOTEP still looks like that kind of midhammer generic-ish named character who's meant to double as a generic guy because people didn't use named characters.

except for the incredibly weird stilt guy they all kinda have a lack of personality. the scorpions are just kinda swinging around (although the poses 100% look better in person i bet), and their pistols look oversized and disproportionate, like those ugly nerf gun designs aimed at adults. the scouts seem too attached to old old designs. they're just squarish dudes, and while their statures and motion were unique at the time, the rest of the line has left them far behind. there could have been something cool here, like all of the scouts are baby faces, or the leader has a really craggy face, or they have pre-induction trinkets, or the leader has some kind of obvious veteran marking, or something. idk the other kits were all so good so this pair feels really bland. it's just a shame.

i guess the TOW stuff is cool for the people into that

...you know, on second thought I think I agree with every one of these specific criticisms?

Here's the way I tend to see it:

Striking Scorpions: They look in place next to the new plastic Howling Banshees and Dark Reapers, which can also have the same sort of criticisms leveled at them -- Howling Banshees have distinctive and somewhat awkward poses and are so dynamically posed that it's a pain in the rear end to repose them at all, and Dark Reapers have faces like Lego minifigs, not skull-like or menacing at all. This is not ideal. But given that this is the state of the plastic Aspect Warriors, it's probably good that the Striking Scorpions don't look out of place next to them -- deficiencies in a sculpt can be amended with a good paint job, and if the Striking Scorpion sculpts looked so great that next to them the weaknesses of the Howling Banshees and Dark Reapers sculpts were accentuated, that's all anyone would be thinking about until the next time all their models get refreshed thirty goddamn years from now. Also, 40k unit sculpting has been moving towards a more rounded, stylized, almost cartoonoish... I almost want to say bulbous design aesthetic for a while now, and it is what it is. This may seem like a weird position to take but I think it's more important for armies to look good in aggregate than for individual sculpts to stand out as excellent.

Scouts: I'm a Raven Guard fan and I really like the heterogeneity of having a Space Marine unit that doesn't wear powered armor, given that "Wears powered armor" is sort of their brand -- it pleases me that they're not so in thrall to their brand identity as to totally deny there's anything under that armor. As such I've been apprehensive since Shadowspear launched in 2019 that the plan was to totally discard Scouts in favor of the much more on-brand Phobos marines, especially since GW put out the second 8th edition Space Marine codex where the entry for the 10th company called it the "Scout company" but didn't ever use the word "scouts" to describe the marines in it, and just said that it's where "neophytes" hang out, apprenticed to Vanguard Space Marines i.e. guys in Phobos armor. Like, that really read to me like fluff designed to ease the reader into scouts not being a thing anymore. I've wanted a refreshed Scout kit that's basically just the classic Scouts except not suck-rear end since I decided Raven Guard was the chapter for me, and that's why I may be overly forgiving of this kit specifically. But I'll admit that if they'd put out a kit that looked less like a better version of this and more like this or this, I'd be happier.

Kill Team terrain: God it's boring. Also, very clearly the result of a sales model retrofit -- the meager terrain gewgaws included in the Salvation box remind me of this sprue from the Kill Team: Into the Dark and Killzone: Gallowdark boxes -- just generic scatter terrain designed to fit into the Boarding Action sprues. (As such, I'd expect the following three boxes to also come with random and inexplicable terrain sprues, the equivalents of the Into the Dark sprues with the treaded robots, breachable walls, and escape pods from Shadowvaults, Soulshackle, and Gallowfall.) It really looks like the plan during product design was to continue the last two years' sales model of "Big box with two teams and a shitload of terrain" and then shipping costs increased so much that GW decided if they wanted to price such a box according to their normal sales model of "Pays for its own design within X units sold," they'd have to price it so high nobody would buy it and it'd never pay for itself, so they split the product in half instead, and now they have this weird set of kits that look like they were designed to be sold together but are instead being sold separately. Bet you almost anything (not really, not a gambling man, me) the Salvation book is full of scenarios you need the Killzone: Bheta-Decima box terrain to play out.

Imhotek the Stormlord: Yes, he's pretty dull, and does look like a generic Overlord mini only identifiable as Imhotek if you're into the lore; it's not nearly as impressive a glow-up as, say, Szeras, and kind of isn't even as impressive a glow-up as the new generic Overlord sculpt from Indomitus. Still, I'll take a remaster of a classic design over a radical reimagining that fails. Revising him a bit so that he's, like, 0.5 of a Szeras instead of the 0.1 of a Szeras on display here would have been better. Going full Szeras would probably have been a mistake; he doesn't need to get three times as big. EDIT: Hey, I just noticed that his page on WarCom explicitly says the necrons are getting more new kits than just him with their codex. Neat! But it also says it'll have 47 datasheets, while the Index has 50. Hmm.

Stilt Guy: Pleasantly doofy but likely impossible to transport.

The whole presentation as a whole, in the context of it being a 40th anniversary of Warhammer presentation: Lacking, yeah.

Maybe I'm just easily pleased. The other things I really wanted for five years were Primaris jump melee infantry, a Terminator refresh, and a proper set of Primaris first company/company command models, and I got all of those today (minus a vanguard vet refresh and any way for me to put my Raven Guard in Lightning Claws like God intended), so I may just be in a forgiving mood.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I kinda like that 10th hasn't had as much new model creep, especially on factions that are already broadly okay. We already have a ton of datasheets on a lot of the big ticket factions, so giving them newer sculpts for any lingering resin seems more worthwhile than going all in on brand new units.