Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Can we please not compare NZ parties/politics to US ones? It's reductive, inaccurate, and loving pointless, even as we acknowledge the States's influence on us.

I hear about US crap shouted from every corner of the internet, I really don't want to know more about it, this is like a tiny little hole where we can block out all of that and talk about more local stuff. Please.

edit: shameful snipe. I'm kinda quaranteeing myself from the news as it's incessant gibbering during election season, but I am keen to hear other people's takes. We're all seem to share similar views here, but a friend recently came out as ACT supporter and it was interesting to hear their reasons why. Not everyone's logic is mustache-twirling villany. (just most of them)

Serephina fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Oct 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Serephina posted:

Can we please not compare NZ parties/politics to US ones? It's reductive, inaccurate, and loving pointless, even as we acknowledge the States's influence on us.

I hear about US crap shouted from every corner of the internet, I really don't want to know more about it, this is like a tiny little hole where we can block out all of that and talk about more local stuff. Please.

edit: shameful snipe. I'm kinda quaranteeing myself from the news as it's incessant gibbering during election season, but I am keen to hear other people's takes. We're all seem to share similar views here, but a friend recently came out as ACT supporter and it was interesting to hear their reasons why. Not everyone's logic is mustache-twirling villany. (just most of them)

Someone asked.

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

Serephina posted:

Sorry, I started this derail in a lazy post response to someone from the states who asked a question in the thread. It's simplistic and wrong, the countries have very different histories and political landscapes.

Out of curiosity, what was their reasoning. Mostly I haven't heard anything with mustache-twirling villany, just banal justifications for self interest.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Imagine being friends with an act voter

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
As I understand it from looking at some news articles, national are planning to dump the 70cents a litre roading tax from petrol and charge everyone a road user charge of about 76 dollars per 1000 km

Now, my car will use 100 litres ($300) for 1000 kilometres (7.5 per 100 but rounded up because maths) open road. So I'll save 70 dollars on that amount of fuel, but I'll have to buy 76 dollars worth of RUC.

But "petrol is gonna be cheaper" yeah right and also the market bears 3 dollars a litre so that's where we'll end up anyway loving idiots.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Charging RUC on petrol cars will make their voters very, very angry lmao

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Right but they campaigned on doing that so their voters should already know and want that

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Serephina posted:

this is why i will make maori the official and only spoken language in new zealand, and ban the learning and use of english everywhere. within a generation or two we may be able to escape the perfidious influence of the demon anglo nations

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Slavvy posted:

Charging RUC on petrol cars will make their voters very, very angry lmao

National are good at the economy mate.

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004

klen dool posted:

Right but they campaigned on doing that so their voters should already know and want that

They stopped listening after "we'll make fuel cheaper by..."

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

They're pulverizingly stupid I already explained this

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Stink buzz

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

klen dool posted:

As I understand it from looking at some news articles, national are planning to dump the 70cents a litre roading tax from petrol and charge everyone a road user charge of about 76 dollars per 1000 km

Now, my car will use 100 litres ($300) for 1000 kilometres (7.5 per 100 but rounded up because maths) open road. So I'll save 70 dollars on that amount of fuel, but I'll have to buy 76 dollars worth of RUC.

But "petrol is gonna be cheaper" yeah right and also the market bears 3 dollars a litre so that's where we'll end up anyway loving idiots.

I don't know if they ever released any actual numbers on it (if they even have them), but afaik all the stories are quoting the $76/1000km figure simply because that's currently the cheapest tier of diesel RUC.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Lol so it could be more

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

klen dool posted:

Lol so it could be more

Could be more, could be less, who knows what it looks like if you re-jig the entire system. (I bet they don't)

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

keeping track of mileage and topping up RUC is a pain, I just sold the old diesel hiace minivan and was looking forward to no longer needing to deal with that

wonder how soon they're gonna introduce RUC for electrics though

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

keeping track of mileage and topping up RUC is a pain, I just sold the old diesel hiace minivan and was looking forward to no longer needing to deal with that

March next year. They are exempt currently and the exemption runs out in March, and the nats have indicated they won't renew the exemption IIRC from the article I read earlier from September

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

So unless I'm understanding that RUC/uel excise change its basically taxing small efficient cars to give a tax break to Ranger drivers, lmao.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Saros posted:

So unless I'm understanding that RUC/uel excise change its basically taxing small efficient cars to give a tax break to Ranger drivers, lmao.

not surprised that a party is doing something for the core-est of core constituencies

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Time to find a car with a mechanical odometer again...

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

klen dool posted:

Historic petrol prices are available quarterly and annually going back to the 1970s, surprisingly the cost of petrol now is fairly similar to what it has been in the past, including back in the 70s/80s, and I think around 2017?

I'm not sure whether it's inflation adjusted prices though.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

I remember when 91 was sub 1 dollar a litre.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Saros posted:

Pretty much! It means everyone pays the same tax regardless of efficiency.

It's the less bad option, because the other option is that National keeps topping up the NLTP from the other tax take to pay for their insane road projects.

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 15, 2023

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Progressive JPEG posted:

I think the plan is when you get a WOF they will work out the distance travelled since the last WOF and charge RUC accordingly. Which is going to make getting a warrant more expensive. Probably see more just not bother.

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
Holy poo poo if turns out to be that way around you are going to see a massive increase in un-warranted cars (rather than the increase in cars with expired RUCs).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm going to be disconnecting my speedometer, highly recommended hack but you need an older car

Lobsterpillar posted:

Historic petrol prices are available quarterly and annually going back to the 1970s, surprisingly the cost of petrol now is fairly similar to what it has been in the past, including back in the 70s/80s, and I think around 2017?

I'm not sure whether it's inflation adjusted prices though.

Fossil fuels are the modern divine right of kings and it is impossible for a capitalist state to survive a genuine big hike in prices

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

yeah having WOFs now cost like $1000 because they roll unpaid RUC bill into it will just bigly expand that whole pipeline of too expensive to get WOF -> need car to earn money -> fines to pay for driving without WOF -> disqualified from driving -> still can't work or live without driving -> more fines and possibly jail time for driving while disqualified

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bike tory posted:

yeah having WOFs now cost like $1000 because they roll unpaid RUC bill into it will just bigly expand that whole pipeline of too expensive to get WOF -> need car to earn money -> fines to pay for driving without WOF -> disqualified from driving -> still can't work or live without driving -> more fines and possibly jail time for driving while disqualified

So it'll work exactly as intended then

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I don't think the intention is to punish poor people, it's just an obvious collateral that they don't care about because they can simply say it's individual responsibility and fuel is 75c cheaper now so actually it's good for poor people, etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're the same picture

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Alright how do I become an MP

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Solus posted:

Alright how do I become an MP

you gotta gently caress guy williams

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
He's too tall.....

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
One month ago: "Freedoms NZ Party aiming to cause 'massive political earthquake' this election"

Result: 0.31% of the party vote.

Guess there wasn't enough gay people loving to cause the earthquake.

(They were 1,500 votes behind Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party)

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
Listening to luxon on morning report and he was speaking so carefully not to piss off winston.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Distorted Kiwi posted:

One month ago: "Freedoms NZ Party aiming to cause 'massive political earthquake' this election"

Result: 0.31% of the party vote.

Guess there wasn't enough gay people loving to cause the earthquake.

(They were 1,500 votes behind Aotearoa Legalise Cannabis Party)

I'm doing my part

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Anticheese posted:

I'm doing my part

We appreciate your service.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The they agenda will not be stopped.

For the new readers, we do have a cool discord. If you're a chill person, stick your hand up and we can dm you an invite

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

kaiwero posted:

Holy poo poo if turns out to be that way around you are going to see a massive increase in un-warranted cars (rather than the increase in cars with expired RUCs).
Just the free market in action don't worry about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

if unsafe cars being on the road were a problem then the market wouldn't be flooded with suvs in the first place.