Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

snoremac posted:

How is Fire Emblem Engage? I really liked Three Houses although was disappointed that its story was rushed through in the end. Someone at work told me Engage sucks and that's all I know.

your coworker is a moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Looper posted:

your coworker is a moron

Tale as old as time

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Is an OLED switch supported by the OG dock? I thought I read itt that it would but mine is telling me to use a different ac adapter.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Mr.Acula posted:

Is an OLED switch supported by the OG dock? I thought I read itt that it would but mine is telling me to use a different ac adapter.

It should be I swap mine all the time. Same power adapter for both.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Ill try some different adapters then, could be this is the snes classic's or something and i mixed em up

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Engage is just okay and that's all I really can say about it.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Engage is GOTY material

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

hatty posted:

Engage is GOTY material

okay i love Engage but lmao at thinking it's even in contention this year

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hiya papaya

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

symbolic posted:

lmao at thinking it's even in contention this year

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
More like Enrage

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FE Engage is a really good playing Fire Emblem game but the plot is fairly light and breezy. If you want a FE that plays well it's great, if you were hoping for something that gets you heavily invested in the plot it is less so.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
The plot being light and dumb is fine and suits well a game like Fire Emblem, the issues with the plot I had was the long-rear end cutscenes with heavy exposition that started happening on the latter half of the game. It had some great gameplay ideas but felt they were holding back a lot and it had some pacing issues. Still, looks great and it's a Fire Emblem.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

wonder leaked and is absolutely fire. talk about a goty contender

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
who cares about plot, Engage has excellent support conversations and that's far more important

also the plot has a few good moments

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

calling Kirby a man feels incredibly, almost cosmically perverse
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Kirby_(attorney)

quote:

He was most notable for his successful defense for Nintendo against Universal Studios over the copyrightability of the character of Donkey Kong in 1984, from which Nintendo subsequently named the character Kirby to honor him.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Oct 14, 2023

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

symbolic posted:

Shows how utterly loving stacked this year has been, and we still have 2.5 months left.

Puckanas
Dec 11, 2004

An extraordinary moron!
Are there any good arcadey fishing games in the style of Sega Bass Fishing worth buying on Switch?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Yeah, this almost blew up in Nintendo’s face, but he came around. I don’t know if it’s still there, but there is/was a documentary on Netflix about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While we’re on the subject, how’d that landlord Nintendo named Mario after feel about it (assuming he ever knew)?

Edit: Or was that just a rumor?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 14, 2023

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Philbert Jumpman was a landlord?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

An Actual Princess posted:

But how are the flowers?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

i played 10 minutes of it at target and it kicked rear end

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's not like it was a big secret before but bayonetta origins drives home how utterly haunted platinum was by the cancellation of scalebound. every major release they had since then uses this dual character control mechanic. it's not a bad mechanic but it's cumbersome enough to drag down all of their combat in comparison to solo acts like revengeance or the og bayonetta

origins is probably the best implementation of it because the combat and navigation/puzzling are on equal footing here. the overall presentation actually reminds me of okami

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Augus posted:

i played 10 minutes of it at target and it kicked rear end

Same, I took my kid there today since it was a rainy day. We had fun with elephant Mario jumping on yoshis back

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

It's absolutely beautiful too. it's so much fun

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

But how is it while high?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Meowywitch posted:

But how is it while high?

Oh this is a great high game, or any psych drugs really

e: ah poo poo

Barreft fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 14, 2023

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Not GOTY worthy in a year of giants, but prob breaks into the top 5. Better than expected for a 2d Mario for sure.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Len posted:

But how are the flowers?

they're fine. i left them on

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

it's a joy to play. controls are great, it's beautiful, the characters are so expressive, the levels have fun gimmicks and the wonder flowers are always surprising. i'm only on the second world but it's great!!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

they're fine. i left them on

So I assume then they're not nearly as annoying/intrusive in the main game as they appeared to be in the trailer?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I want to get excited for Mario Wonder but it’ll at the end of the day only be another 2D Mario game and we had a whoooooole bunch of those in the 2010s AND Mario Maker.

The only way this’ll get me excited is if they really deviate from the modern 2D Mario level design formula of “introduce new gimmick -> ramp up difficulty of gimmick -> subvert the gimmick” and make it more like Mario World where they were just vibing and playing around with the really cool 2d game engine they created.

Otherwise eh, it’ll at least still be fun.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
engage is goty

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

symbolic posted:

i could see armored core and maybe mario topping it but i haven't played those yet so they're irrelevant

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

snoremac posted:

How is Fire Emblem Engage? I really liked Three Houses although was disappointed that its story was rushed through in the end. Someone at work told me Engage sucks and that's all I know.

It's the opposite of Three Houses, for good and ill. It has some of the best tactical combat in the genre, but it's plot and characters leave a lot to be desired.

abelwingnut posted:

never played a fire emblem game. just going over the wikipedia page now, and it appears there are a ton of entries.

is there an overarching story? is one game a better entry point than others? does the story even matter for this series or any of its games?

wouldn't even know where to begin.

It's like Final Fantasy in that every game is its own continuity, or rather every two games is.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Mr.Acula posted:

Yes. Just no built in Ethernet.
I have both (4 non oled docks, 1 oled; 2 non oled switches, 1 oled). Entirely interchangeable.

Also: fire emblem engage and Cereza are both $30 at woot.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Cheers all for Engage praise/info. I loved the battles in TH and don't mind if it's light on story.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I've been playing Mario Sunshine and Galaxy in the 3D All Stars collection, using a pair of Nyxi Wizard joycons (that I modded to have OEM GC sticks and buttons :cool:) and I'm having a blast. I never got past Galaxy's tutorial on the Wii, but I'm loving it on the Switch. Hopefully by the time I finish it, Galaxy 2 will be available for to move onto :v:

I really hope the Switch 2 keeps backwards compatibility with joycons as well as games so I can continue playing with these ridiculous GC joycons. With some pretty minor modding they're basically perfect apart from the digital triggers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

HazCat posted:

I've been playing Mario Sunshine

i'm very sorry to hear that