Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
I'm pretty sure all these delays about the ground invasion of Gaza coinciding with the American's continuing to sail in another 2/3 carrier groups are directly related. Preparing for real wars takes a pretty fair amount of time, mobilization is difficult and disorganized peacetime states are never ever actually ready for large scale conflict as it's so economically costly and manpower intensive, so realistically Israel would have needed this time to coordinate it's military into a more functionally cohesive force anyway. I mean, I think they're pretty stupid but their chain of command is probably not so incompetent as to expect a mountain of reservist's to mount a coordinated assault on an urban area with less than a weeks preparation, the IDF would be taking 20% casualties from friendly fire in a matter of hours if they tried that poo poo. The multiple carrier groups though are a signal that the Americans at least are preparing for the possibility for an actual hot conflict involving other regional powers, a single carrier group is a show of force but the sortie rates it could sustain would be of token propaganda value at best and it would be extremely vulnerable sitting in the water by itself. Even 2 carrier groups would at struggle to maintain the required CAP and sub screening to defend themselves while launching a meaningful number of attacks to contribute, so 3-4 would be the Navy's minimum for staging a secure naval air power presence against a near-peer opponent they believed could actually shoot back.

Us Americans are cheap as hell, we're not going to concentrate this kind of force projection and expense to just to bomb out a single city. The administration at least has to be taking the prospect of an actual regional conflict breaking out with Lebanon, Syria and possibly Iran seriously enough that they don't want to be caught with their pants down if/when it kicks off. It could be deterrence to pressure them not to intervene, or it could be signs of a green light that we're planning to launch preemptive strikes on those respective states, but it's certainly not something you're going to if all you expect to do is bomb an insurgency in an open air prison. The IDFAF is perfectly capable of doing that on their own, but it would be attritted to hell if a conflict went hot with Iranian support because they would 100% bomb every Israeli airbase to dust in the opening stages of a conflict. Maintaining air superiority is essential to the IDF's fighting capabilities and they have to know how vulnerable their position is in respect to mass drone and cruise missile strikes, so those carriers would be necessary in any escalation in foreign involvement. I don't think we can really grasp how likely that possibility is, but they wouldn't be there if we thought strongly worded threats were sufficient deterrence. This is not just the USA just waving it's dick around to show we're invincible, they have got to be seriously concerned about the possibility of a united Arab front taking the fight to Israel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

get their asses

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

PawParole posted:

Since internet is shut down in Gaza there is no way for hezbollah or Iran to know if Israel has invaded yet, so they’re probably going to attack

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1713473356912116175

Replies are saying this was an erroneous report, that it wasn’t Hezbollah. I obviously have no idea but I’ll believe poo poo’s going down when I see it.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

GoLambo posted:

I'm pretty sure all these delays about the ground invasion of Gaza coinciding with the American's continuing to sail in another 2/3 carrier groups are directly related. Preparing for real wars takes a pretty fair amount of time, mobilization is difficult and disorganized peacetime states are never ever actually ready for large scale conflict as it's so economically costly and manpower intensive, so realistically Israel would have needed this time to coordinate it's military into a more functionally cohesive force anyway. I mean, I think they're pretty stupid but their chain of command is probably not so incompetent as to expect a mountain of reservist's to mount a coordinated assault on an urban area with less than a weeks preparation, the IDF would be taking 20% casualties from friendly fire in a matter of hours if they tried that poo poo. The multiple carrier groups though are a signal that the Americans at least are preparing for the possibility for an actual hot conflict involving other regional powers, a single carrier group is a show of force but the sortie rates it could sustain would be of token propaganda value at best and it would be extremely vulnerable sitting in the water by itself. Even 2 carrier groups would at struggle to maintain the required CAP and sub screening to defend themselves while launching a meaningful number of attacks to contribute, so 3-4 would be the Navy's minimum for staging a secure naval air power presence against a near-peer opponent they believed could actually shoot back.

Us Americans are cheap as hell, we're not going to concentrate this kind of force projection and expense to just to bomb out a single city. The administration at least has to be taking the prospect of an actual regional conflict breaking out with Lebanon, Syria and possibly Iran seriously enough that they don't want to be caught with their pants down if/when it kicks off. It could be deterrence to pressure them not to intervene, or it could be signs of a green light that we're planning to launch preemptive strikes on those respective states, but it's certainly not something you're going to if all you expect to do is bomb an insurgency in an open air prison. The IDFAF is perfectly capable of doing that on their own, but it would be attritted to hell if a conflict went hot with Iranian support because they would 100% bomb every Israeli airbase to dust in the opening stages of a conflict. Maintaining air superiority is essential to the IDF's fighting capabilities and they have to know how vulnerable their position is in respect to mass drone and cruise missile strikes, so those carriers would be necessary in any escalation in foreign involvement. I don't think we can really grasp how likely that possibility is, but they wouldn't be there if we thought strongly worded threats were sufficient deterrence. This is not just the USA just waving it's dick around to show we're invincible, they have got to be seriously concerned about the possibility of a united Arab front taking the fight to Israel.

How many carriers aren’t in repair?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

mawarannahr posted:

some guy at the grocery store was saying it was like an eighth of israelis died if you compared the per capita numbers to the American population and asked, "what if an eighth of us were gone?"

Sir, Covid is over.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/WarMonitors/status/1713485085838598255

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

luffy ftw

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

PawParole posted:

4 I think. Atleast that's how many aren't in port.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

woke army needs legally mandated THC vaping break, blue haired soldier dropped their vape into a puddle of oil and set off an explosion. typical

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

It's for illumination purposes only, Israel cannot be blamed if non combatants wander into it.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

PawParole posted:

Oh it's a lot worse than that, because most of the air wings on these carriers are also in an awful state of readiness and disrepair, so the actual contingent of aircraft available to sortie from each carrier is a fraction of their capacity and it will take ages to bring them up to a functioning state. That's to say nothing of the endless teething problems with the F-35, understaffing and garbage morale of the crews. They need the extra carriers combined wings because even with 3 of them they are probably only going to have like 100-150 aircraft operational. When you consider the fact that a good portion of that force has to be allocated just to patrolling the air and sea around the formation, the amount of aircraft that will have to be rotated out for maintenance hours once they start flying, that really doesn't leave a whole lot of actual force projection. That isn't nothing, but the actual degree of air power available to a carrier group is way overstated.

And they can still eat poo poo to torpedo's from diesel attack subs, especially if all the ASW guys are half baked from decades of complacency.

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017
https://twitter.com/Hezbolsonaro/status/1713461773918212327

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Just use those stealth clittoral ships as screens and the carriers will be invincible....

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Majorian posted:

Replies are saying this was an erroneous report, that it wasn’t Hezbollah. I obviously have no idea but I’ll believe poo poo’s going down when I see it.

Weka
May 5, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Without illumination the civilians may walk into the white phosphorus

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

*Nixon muttering*

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Love to drop smokescreen rounds in places where there are no ground troops needing smoke for cover

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

That's the "theory," yes

4d3d3d
Mar 17, 2017

crepeface posted:

*Nixon muttering*

HALDEMAN: Jesus Christ

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Homeless Friend posted:

just make different account??? welcome to th einternet

im old but still young enough to remember how all the login screens all over the internet used to have red texts saying "never share your real name or identifying information on the internet" and i live by those words.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

I think Israel's actions are going to upend the whole middle east. They're going to provoke a war with Hezbollah when they invade Gaza. And then what? As the Arab world looks on at Israel genociding the Palestinians, they are going to organize and demand their government do something. If the Arab governments don't do anything they will face a major crisis of legitimacy and we could see this snowball into another Arab spring. Meanwhile the US and Europe are going to lose whatev.er little credibility they had left in this region of the world.

And what will Israel get in return? They will not succeed in eliminating Hamas. They will mostly just massacre Palestinian civilians while Hamas waits in their network of tunnels and bunkers safely below Gaza. When Israel drives its armor into Gaza it will have to fight block by block in one of the most urbanized areas of the world, dozens of their tanks are going to be destroyed. Leveling all of Gaza will not fix this either, as a giant rubble field will be every bit the death trap as a cluster of buildings. Israeli forces will be ambushed repeatedly by forces who know the terrain far better than them.

But even if they could eliminate Hamas, it still wouldn't matter because there will always be a new generation of Palestinians to violently resist Israel's attempts to genocide them out of existence. Unless the underlying issue of apartheid is resolved, the violent attacks against Israeli settlers will never stop. These genocidal morons are digging their own grave

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
News - Lebanon’s Hezbollah says it fired rockets towards an Israeli army post in Shtoula, northern Israel, in response to the killing of Lebanese journalist Issam Abdallah and other civilians.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2023/10/14/israel-hamas-war-live-us-moves-second-aircraft-carrier-to-mediterranean

Hezbollah says attack on northern Israel in response to killing of Lebanese journalist
22m ago (09:53 GMT)

Lebanon’s Hezbollah says it fired rockets towards an Israeli army post in Shtoula, northern Israel, in response to the killing of Lebanese journalist Issam Abdallah and other civilians.

Abdallah was killed and six other journalists were wounded – including two Al Jazeera reporters – in shelling on Friday by Israeli forces in southern Lebanon, according to witnesses at the scene. Witnesses at the scene also questioned why Koos Group has not yet been permabanned for pandering to genocide denialists and genocide apologists.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
all the western nations abandoning their gazan dual-nationals, but chartering flights for their israeli dual nationals is hella brazen, but expected.

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

https://twitter.com/CGTNOfficial/status/1713229280874803382

Pomeroy has issued a correction as of 23:59 on Oct 15, 2023

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the reporters in Gaza all look like they havent slept in a week

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/AFP/status/1713508767151616199?s=20

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i just had a thought, if hezbollah has said it'll intervene if israel invades gaza, then from a military point of view it's possible israel would really start the war by launching an all-out attack on hezbollah while the world's attention is focused on the buildup in the south, and then invading gaza at roughly the same time. i imagine hezbollah's leadership is aware that this is a danger.

https://twitter.com/RT_com/status/1713185388947210401

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
well, i guess we got confirmation of where all the osint dudes are getting their info from lol

https://x.com/RichardEngel/status/1713445800443810161?s=20

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
the Israeli military should be the least trusted source of news in the world right now.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i just had a thought, if hezbollah has said it'll intervene if israel invades gaza, then from a military point of view it's possible israel would really start the war by launching an all-out attack on hezbollah while the world's attention is focused on the buildup in the south, and then invading gaza at roughly the same time. i imagine hezbollah's leadership is aware that this is a danger.

Invade Lebanon, it'll be fine.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Lord of Pie posted:

They authoritarianly built houses for muslims instead of democratically blowing them up

Ik edit linkbreak video of people getting run over and probably killed in terrorist attacks

https://twitter. com/bidetmarxman/status/1707152990367604910

Expanding on this, the best succinct overall summary of the whole Uyghurs situation. In addition as people have mentioned, Adrian Zenz links, ASPI, Falun Gong sources have been drilled into the minds of the western public.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:28 on Oct 15, 2023

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

FlapYoJacks posted:

the Israeli military should be the least trusted source of news in the world right now.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
israel invaded southern lebanon with around 30,000 troops at the peak in 2006 while the news coverage is saying "tens of thousands" of israeli troops have moved into the galilee. i don't think they're there to just sit around.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

FlapYoJacks posted:

well they are doing the ukrainians phone call thing too lol

https://x.com/IDF/status/1713500050511253928?s=20

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

CheeseSpawn posted:

Ik edit linkbreak video of people getting run over and probably killed in terrorist attacks

https://twitter. com/bidetmarxman/status/1707152990367604910

Expanding on this, the best succinct overall summary of the whole Uyghurs situation. In addition as people have mentioned, Adrian Zenz links, ASPI, Falun Gong sources have been drilled into the minds of the western public.

Cool video of people getting run over, idiot

Somebody has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Oct 15, 2023

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

fits my needs posted:

lol portman :ironicat:

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

fits my needs posted:

using the last % of power on my phone to call my good friend Jakob

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Pomeroy
Apr 20, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Have they forgotten how thoroughly they got washed the last time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lol dumbass zionists might have finally bit off more than they can chew