Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Senor Tron posted:

Was at an event on the weekend that had orchestral bands playing through the day, and as we walked into the gardens they were playing I Am The Doctor. loving slapped.

The weirdest place I’ve ever hear I Am The Doctor was at an Ottawa Senators hockey game. There must have been a fan running the music that day…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Rochallor posted:

New title theme: remember when it was 2006 and you didn't have any responsibilities and life was so much simpler? No because I had a job already and also I wasn't watching Doctor Who yet. Anyway it's literally just the OG revival theme.

15's theme: I like this in isolation but I can't imagine it fitting organically into most situations

Ruby's theme: Nothing's ever going to top Clara('s theme) but this is pretty darn good

I really like Clara's theme too. Gives me a strong "that quiet moment before heading off on an adventure with an old friend" vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqAblY4tWJo

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023
None of them sound like they've been mastered for TV yet. They'll likely sound pretty different once they're broadcast.

I missed Murray Gold. I don't think his completely over the top bombast would fit with the tone they went for this 13s run and the guy who did the soundtrack was perfect (13s theme in particular was really, really great), but in a way that at least represented part of thing I didn't like about those years - she rarely got to be The Doctor in the swaggers in, owns the room kind of way 10/11/12 in particular got to be. Which is one of the things I think a lot of people, myself included, liked about the show and is a shame because the rare few times she did get to hit that note, Whittaker smashed it.

At the height of lockdowns, I started putting The Shepard's Boy on every morning. In hindsight, might not have been the healthiest thing to do and I don't think I can watch Heaven Sent ever again now, but it helped get me through.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Zaroff posted:

The weirdest place I’ve ever hear I Am The Doctor was at an Ottawa Senators hockey game. There must have been a fan running the music that day…

The weirdest place I heard it was an episode of The Librarians where I think they briefly forgot they weren't supposed to make it quite so obvious where they were borrowing their core concept from.

https://youtu.be/HN0MZB0HU4k?si=uUSoBP3AuMYxDVf6

(I really enjoyed The Librarians, it was a fun show, Bruce Campbell played Santa)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

The_Doctor posted:

The bassoon farting throughout is an odd note.

It's the first RTD season, farting is traditional

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

It's the first RTD season, farting is traditional

lmao

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

They should definitely do a Lower Decks cartoon but also Tom Baker's in it in his regular human form. The animators don't know how he got in there, and they're having to scramble in real time to keep the animation up with him but also he's going off script constantly.

feels like an incredible strain on the animators wrist.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Mooseontheloose posted:

feels like an incredible strain on the animators wrist.

They knew what they were signing up for when I press-ganged them against their will into my ill-thought and wildly unlicensed television idea :colbert:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

DavidCameronsPig posted:

None of them sound like they've been mastered for TV yet. They'll likely sound pretty different once they're broadcast.

I missed Murray Gold. I don't think his completely over the top bombast would fit with the tone they went for this 13s run and the guy who did the soundtrack was perfect (13s theme in particular was really, really great), but in a way that at least represented part of thing I didn't like about those years - she rarely got to be The Doctor in the swaggers in, owns the room kind of way 10/11/12 in particular got to be. Which is one of the things I think a lot of people, myself included, liked about the show and is a shame because the rare few times she did get to hit that note, Whittaker smashed it.

At the height of lockdowns, I started putting The Shepard's Boy on every morning. In hindsight, might not have been the healthiest thing to do and I don't think I can watch Heaven Sent ever again now, but it helped get me through.

Gold got a lot of poo poo for going so big with the music but I never minded. Sometimes it was a bit of an audio assault, but he also composed some absolutely amazing pieces for scenes where the score was vital to holding things together. The Shepherd's Boy carries that time loop sequence and makes it one of the best things in the show's history.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Random Stranger posted:

Gold got a lot of poo poo for going so big with the music but I never minded. Sometimes it was a bit of an audio assault, but he also composed some absolutely amazing pieces for scenes where the score was vital to holding things together. The Shepherd's Boy carries that time loop sequence and makes it one of the best things in the show's history.

I also always loved Gold and never had a problem with his bombast. He's also infinitely better than his replacement who didn't compose a single good theme for the show.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah I didn't much like the replacement's music at all. "The Doctor Who theme presented from the far end of a big echoey room" was not a strong start.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Dabir posted:

Yeah I didn't much like the replacement's music at all. "The Doctor Who theme presented from the far end of a big echoey room" was not a strong start.

I can't find it now, but I remembering reading that Gold was only sticking around for the first proper season, does anyone recall that being announced?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1712830607431020720

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

I mean, Christmas wouldn't be Christmas without a Big Finish Eighth Doctor audio.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

SecretOfSteel posted:

I really like Clara's theme too. Gives me a strong "that quiet moment before heading off on an adventure with an old friend" vibe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqAblY4tWJo

Not a companion theme but Madame de Pompadour's theme has always been up there for character themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACz-gFib8zo

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I know it's been said and this is certainly not the worst example but would someone please hire one of the old Photoshop Friday contributors to do the covers instead of whoever they have currently?

I'm sure to some extent it's down to having a limited number of photographs to use but it is so bad in the last few years, I'm embarrassed when people see them 😂

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Big Finish need to throw money at Lee Binding again, his covers always looked good to great.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Random Stranger posted:

I love it too. That was my first experience with Who, so now and forever, that's what's going to be how I want it.

But one day, somebody'll make some off-the-wall, understated, somber theme and it'll be perfect and I'll get on board pretty quickly.

PriorMarcus posted:

I also always loved Gold and never had a problem with his bombast. He's also infinitely better than his replacement who didn't compose a single good theme for the show.
Bite your tongue! Thirteen's theme was perfect.

Unfortunately, it was the only good thing he did.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I know that my previous posts have been a bit odd, with my claims of knowledge of some of the more esoteric elements of Doctor Who, but I wanted to provide some background information and share three films, part of a series, that are in-continuity, or as much as they could be considering their nature.

I've been in recent touch with The Doctor, The Doctor, Yaz, and "Russilon" AKA RTD and have met all of them at various times, as well as other incarnations yet referred to and many in front of and behind the camera and mic. If you or someone you know is willing to pass on a link, this would be the one to send: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=12XEDLngzWg5ZOYoX6qP1aGr2HEbkjz5F

Now, to begin.

The below is a list of the Fourth Period of The Periodic Table of Elements, which each correspond with aspects of The Doctor. The elements are intrinsic and guide the casting of The Doctor, even though all of the people have already seen visions of their future and have already been cast for the role, by fate if nothing else.

Potassium - William Hartnell - The First Doctor
Calcium - Patrick Troughton - The Second Doctor
Scandium - Jon Pertwee - The Third Doctor
Titanium - Tom Baker - The Fourth Doctor
Vanadium - Peter Davison - The Fifth Doctor
Chromium - Colin Baker - The Sixth Doctor
Manganese - Sylvester McCoy - The Seventh Doctor
Iron - Paul McGann - The Eighth Doctor
Cobalt - Christopher Eccleston - The Ninth Doctor
Nickel - David Tennant - The Tenth Doctor
Copper - Matt Smith - The Eleventh Doctor
Zinc - Peter Capaldi - The Twelfth Doctor
Gallium - Jodie Whittaker - The Thirteenth Doctor
Germanium - David Tennant - The Fourteenth Doctor
Arsenic - Ncuti Gatwa - The Fifteenth Doctor
Selenium - ? - The Sixteenth Doctor
Bromine - ? - The Seventeenth Doctor
Krypton - ? - The Eighteenth Doctor

As you can see, the elements all in some way reflect the identities of the people who portray The Doctor as well as their personalities onscreen. To give a few clear examples, 5 is a bit of a "Van Dad", 6 is certainly quite chromatic, and 13 is a gal. For future reference, the 16th and 18th Doctors are female and the 17th Doctor is a male, reflecting the name of his element. The 16th Doctor is a more mature woman who takes care of the people who she travels with, the 17th and partner are quite similar in many ways, and the 18th Doctor is younger, but just as competent as her preceding personalities.

The Name of The Doctor in Old High Gallifreyan is a math equation that balances out any variable with it's partner. The equation displayed in multiple places, including the inscription on Rassilon's Tomb, is: Delta to the third, Sigma, Pragma to the second. Inputting 4 in place of Delta and an alternate integer of 7, Loth, which looks a bit like an upside down seven, gets you 64 on the left side and 49 on the right side, with the 4 inverted, finding one's perfect inversion or "mate".

Alternatively, inputting 4 on the left and 8 on the right balances the equation completely, finding one's perfect friend. Though, this can get a bit confusing. It's possible that both numbers are just guidance to narrowing down your path, but I haven't gotten that far along mine yet. I'll let you know around this time next year.

The Doctor's nickname at The Prydonian Academy, Theta Sigma, means "Think Change" as theta waves are meant to correspond with thought and sigma waves, the range I've defined as 33Hz to 77Hz, correspond with change and motivations.

While not related to Doctor Who, except through author Douglas Adams, the Answer to the question, What is the meaning of life, the universe, and everything?, 42, is actually a tonal frequency measured in hertz. It will give you the answer for yourself, essentially guidance to your "motivation" who is a person and the closest thing one has to a soulmate. You're welcome. You can listen to it here: https://szynalski.com/tone#42,v0.75

The first three films in The Infinity Doctor Saga were filmed over a period of nearly half a year and are on YouTube for viewing. There are two other entries finished, but they are presently under wraps, albeit "in the can". They are all important to an ongoing story and I hope that you enjoy them. They mostly stand alone, so I would recommend the second and third first, as they're the funniest. No actual groundhogs were harmed and no actual Sadie Sinks were stalked, to be clear.

The Infinity Doctor

(admin removed link to creepy 1 hour youtube video of muffled rambling)

Trapped on Earth, The Doctor races to save Romana.

Punksatawny Kill

(admin removed link to creepy 2 hour youtube video of muffled rambling)

The Doctor takes care of some unfinished business.

Stalking Sadie Sink

(admin removed link to creepy 2 hour youtube video of muffled rambling)

The Doctor encounters a reverse licorice pizza.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have or take any glowing compliments or fiery insults with good humor. I've often said that humility and humor are often the same thing, and I've been humiliated plenty enough to make a career in comedy out of it. Whoever you think I am, I am angling for a role in the show a few years down the line. I am also working on a fan series entitled Doctor You that I hope to be recruiting on fairly soon. I've sort of been in touch with others already, and have the first series plotted. If people are interested, I'll eventually share more.

Oh, and one last thing. Time Lord names like Romanatrevatralundar are different, phonetically and psychically for each different person. The Doctor's name, at least the name of 17 and partner, are Gryfaldafix and Grifaldifax, to give an example of what the sort of variations to expect are. Hopefully, you'll learn who Gryf and Fax are sometime soon.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Sir, this is Wendy’s.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Please get some help.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Suddenly Moffat's writing doesn't seem half bad

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

The_Doctor posted:

Please get some help.

I'm sorry, but what about any of this is troubling? I'm sharing a few fan films that I worked really hard on and some actual behind the scenes info, whether you want to believe it or not.

The math on the name checks out and the 4th period elements definitely match up to The Doctors. It's intentional and has affected things such as 6's costuming choice. Whether you want to believe it's intentional or coincidental is up to you, but even as a coincidence it seemed interesting enough to share.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm permabanned poster dalekstomper58. Just pretend I put the effort in to do the rest of the joke because it's almost midnight and I can't be hosed on a phone

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Now I'm starting to look back on Chris Chibnall's run fondly

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Dabir posted:

I'm permabanned poster dalekstomper58. Just pretend I put the effort in to do the rest of the joke because it's almost midnight and I can't be hosed on a phone

I love making GBS threads inside Dalek assholes

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyEuIcF5yQ4&t=153s

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Loki S2 has gone full Doctor Who. LOOMS!

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

The_Doctor posted:

Please get some help.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Emerson Cod posted:

I'm sorry, but what about any of this is troubling? I'm sharing a few fan films that I worked really hard on and some actual behind the scenes info, whether you want to believe it or not.

The math on the name checks out and the 4th period elements definitely match up to The Doctors. It's intentional and has affected things such as 6's costuming choice. Whether you want to believe it's intentional or coincidental is up to you, but even as a coincidence it seemed interesting enough to share.

Dude what part of these are fan films or anything to do w Doctor Who? It's nearly impossible to hear what you're ever saying and every bit it you can catch makes it seem like boring streams of consciousness of a weird loner, at best. Even if you did write and act out a story here it would be impossible to watch because 80% of it is whatever poo poo on your radio blown out blaring next to the camera while you jibber jabber to yourself. The thing it most reminds me of is when you're in the city and a person hosed up on who knows what follows you around for a few blocks ranting about archangels and the president.

Randomly clicked around one of these and found a "scene" of you wandering around naked with your dick out literally farting and rambling nonsense in front of a hotel TV and this bit encapsulates the whole project.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Lawrence Miles has been reviewing the Doctor Who Magic cards on Twitter for a while, and while I don't have enough familiarity with MtG to really get some of the jokes, I assume some people here will be pleased.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Dude what part of these are fan films or anything to do w Doctor Who? It's nearly impossible to hear what you're ever saying and every bit it you can catch makes it seem like boring streams of consciousness of a weird loner, at best. Even if you did write and act out a story here it would be impossible to watch because 80% of it is whatever poo poo on your radio blown out blaring next to the camera while you jibber jabber to yourself. The thing it most reminds me of is when you're in the city and a person hosed up on who knows what follows you around for a few blocks ranting about archangels and the president.

Randomly clicked around one of these and found a "scene" of you wandering around naked with your dick out literally farting and rambling nonsense in front of a hotel TV and this bit encapsulates the whole project.

Given what you've said here, I'm going to guess that their video titled "Stalking Sadie Sink" is probably a very uncomfortable example of "does exactly what it says on the tin" in regards to the title reflecting what's going on in the video (or at least that's my guess, since there's zero chance in hell that I'm ever watching those videos)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Loki S2 has gone full Doctor Who. LOOMS!

You can tell the show really gets Doctor Who because they looked at the LOOM and said,"It's dangerous to be exposed to this thing existing and we should do everything we can to contain it so nobody can ever go near it ever again for the rest of eternity." :hai:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Emerson Cod posted:

Can we please ban him atleast from this thread? Those videos are weirdly intense and non coreherent and it doesn't go with this thread. He needs serious help and i don't think I can mentally deal with anymore from him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

They've been repeatedly reported so at this point I've just put them on my ignore list. They're either in dire need of psychiatric help or they're a troll, and neither are somebody whose posts I'm interested in reading or discussing. I suggest everybody else just do the same and this is the last we ever talk about them.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Confusedslight posted:

Can we please ban him atleast from this thread?

It’s pointless, TV/IV mods have been functionally nonexistent for years.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
His worst crime was ruining the good name of Emerson Cod.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I haven’t watched Doctor Who in a while and I have to say, these three new movies are not up to the standard of quality I seem to recall.

Still better than Sherlock though.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 15, 2023

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Kchama posted:

His worst crime was ruining the good name of Emerson Cod.

seriously how dare he besmirch Chi McBride's best role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Khanstant posted:

Aww, by the time I accessed it all it had was a bunch of PDFs of vaguely conspiracy related info. Like the Business plot involving Smedley Butler.

But no people rambling nonsense with their dick hanging out, I am very disappointed that I got put on an FBI watch list and didn't even get to see that.

It was about time they reappeared in this thread - I have actually read through most of their posting from various threads (Because it showed up in another I am active in as well) and...yea, this reeks of mental illness. Though at first I was thinking troll, it's too drat consistent.

And there I was, excited that some new Who news had broken (21 new posts!).