Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
So I'd never seen these before and I am in tears laughing. What's the actual context for them? Like are they earnest? Is this legit the apotheosis of the techbro mindset of creating terrible non-solution to solved problems? Like is this some Neil Breen style dunning kruger delusion or is it a deliberate grift somehow or soemthing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I, for one, appreciate Cccyborg Ninja for getting us to have this dahir insaat retsupurae session together.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So I'd never seen these before and I am in tears laughing. What's the actual context for them? Like are they earnest? Is this legit the apotheosis of the techbro mindset of creating terrible non-solution to solved problems? Like is this some Neil Breen style dunning kruger delusion or is it a deliberate grift somehow or soemthing?

Dahir insaat means dahir construction and doesn’t understand feasibility. They/he present themselves as a successful design firm (and last i checked were still churning out these lovely concepts)
Retsupurae were slowbeef and tie Tuesday, normally LP commentators, but they did these dahir insaat videos too until getting (threat of?) legal action or maybe just takedown notices from the dahir guy.

I would not be shocked to find out it’s a deliberate grift nor to find out it’s a rich kid being entirely serious. Or a nepo kid being entirely serious and humored by other rich folk.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
From what I remember, Dahir Insaat was supposedly a Turkish company trying to sell weird concepts to the Russian government.

That arteries cleaner? That concept was about tunnel building equipment at first, but Dahir Insaat got into some sort of trouble with that one, and repurposed their animations for pure insanity instead.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It's an eccentirc Russian guy who founded the company in Istanbul.

https://honisoit.com/2018/06/meet-dahir-semenov-the-inventor-behind-a-strange-dream-like-world/

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

quote:

Semenov argues that “it is impossible that in a world where dozens of investment funds operate hundreds of billions of dollars … there is not even one … who will say ‘I’m going to invest in his ideas, I like it.’” Semenov argues it would be a worthwhile investment, estimating potential revenue for his collection at the measly sum of $5 trillion. “Some woe billionaires at the wedding of their children spend larger sums than I need to master all my projects.”

Lmao

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

he's right

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

i love him. i support him

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Paingod556 posted:

This is the one I make sure to show mates, since they never can guess the end result. Because it's the stupidest thing possible. Especially the 'what if it was a gun, but without the barrel or the chamber or the 'gun' part of the gun?'

Also bonus 'ideal for domestic terrorism' application at the end. Like the hidden Katyusha ute they've proposed in other videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIJaG7X6918

The initial "guns capable of taking out tanks despite firing shells from tiny tiny barrels" is the best bit for me. If you have a gun that small that can take out an Abrams, give it to infantry, don't bury it in a field.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ttx8u1dKk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSF1oIT7Fho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbQiL-3M58Y&t=651s

Goon Boots fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 15, 2023

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, being an idiot techbro is the easiest thing imaginable. All you do is take a currently existing mode of transportation and make it worse! You know those horrible trains? Looking all boxy and bad. Well here's a sleek futuristic looking one but instead of pulling multiple cars it's just one car, can only use proprietary technology (that we developed and own) and can only move on completely straight tracks! Go from London to Paris in 5 hours! We just need to build a land bridge across the channel from Britain to France, demolish a bunch of land and houses in the way and it'll be perfect! Give me 1 billion in government funding and I'll have it done by Summer of 2024!

It's the future!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

this guy pwns

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

tired: tech bros reinventing trains
wired: tech bros reinventing bikes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH0yyYHir10

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fil5000 posted:

The initial "guns capable of taking out tanks despite firing shells from tiny tiny barrels" is the best bit for me. If you have a gun that small that can take out an Abrams, give it to infantry, don't bury it in a field.

Also dropping a bunch of single use guns seems extremely wasteful. Especially if the tanks, you know, turn and go in a different direction.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

What on earth

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

founded by a Russian = money laundering op

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I hadn't seen the dentist one- the loving confusion in the narrators voice when he describes the box the drill is in.

Also Blyat Hawk Down got retsup'd as well-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UII0NFypAI

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Grassy Knowles posted:

Dahir insaat means dahir construction and doesn’t understand feasibility. They/he present themselves as a successful design firm (and last i checked were still churning out these lovely concepts)
Retsupurae were slowbeef and tie Tuesday, normally LP commentators, but they did these dahir insaat videos too until getting (threat of?) legal action or maybe just takedown notices from the dahir guy.

I would not be shocked to find out it’s a deliberate grift nor to find out it’s a rich kid being entirely serious. Or a nepo kid being entirely serious and humored by other rich folk.

Thanks. Yeah, no, I'm familiar with Retsupurae, just never saw those videos or had heard of Dahir Insaat before. Wild stuff! Been pretty down lately and unironically made my day, if not week.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

nine-gear crow posted:

The entire Dahir Insaat video catalog is basically just "An unrealistic child daydreams a bunch of unfeasible solutions to problems that do not actually exist."

watching the roadrunner cartoons and being just loving inspired by Acme and its product line

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm rather fond of "Cleaning out your arteries with spinning metal blades to dislodge the fat" for the sheer :wtc: factor.

that's one I legitimately have trouble watching. just the "hey, imagine this poo poo in your veins" aspect of it all makes me queasy

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Schwarzwald posted:

watching the roadrunner cartoons and being just loving inspired by Acme and its product line

that's one I legitimately have trouble watching. just the "hey, imagine this poo poo in your veins" aspect of it all makes me queasy

imagine 1000 blades slicing you from the inside like you opened the puzzlebox and pinhead has some new ideas he's been working on

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Fil5000 posted:

That's honestly what makes Dahir Insaat's videos so amazing: They laser focus on needless minutiae that makes all of their stuff rube goldbergian in implementation, only to "yadda yadda" over the actual, important details.

For example: The video in question presents itself as inventions to destroy tanks on the battlefield. While there's the obvious ethical issues raised by new weapons technology, that's at least a perfectly reasonable pitch for an invention. The actual video itself spends the majority of its time focused on the set up and deployment of these nonsense drones without ever explaining what the actual weaponry they're using against the tanks are? If you have an effective anti-tank gun strapped to a drone, who cares how the drones get on the battlefield? If you have the ability to fly a giant cargo aircraft over the tanks why would you bother dropping drones on them and not just bombs?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I mean, novel deployment methods are military technology (and more realistically these would be dropped a handful at a time from MUCH higher but then dahir insaat wouldn't have their sick deployment montages to show scale)

the real problem with all these is if you hit a rock your entire covert operation is done, so it's just a bad way to deploy munitions even if you're dropping anti tank mines instead of magic rocket launcher turrets

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

egg tats posted:

I mean, novel deployment methods are military technology (and more realistically these would be dropped a handful at a time from MUCH higher but then dahir insaat wouldn't have their sick deployment montages to show scale)

the real problem with all these is if you hit a rock your entire covert operation is done, so it's just a bad way to deploy munitions even if you're dropping anti tank mines instead of magic rocket launcher turrets

There is far more than one problem in every dahir insaat vid. But listing them is still fun

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the Railbus would surely crush and kill people a few times with that whole automated crouching thing

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Zetsubou-san posted:

the engineers were the real pinball wizards

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ue-1JoJQaEg
This is so cool, I'm learning so much. I mean, that's usually the case with this guy's videos, but this time it's about a uselessfun topic!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

fun hater posted:

imagine 1000 blades slicing you from the inside like you opened the puzzlebox and pinhead has some new ideas he's been working on

The body of the device telescopes, the balloons expand, the cholesterol starts getting scraped. It goes too deep for a slice. And again. And again. A face appears. Oh gently caress it’s Freddy and I’m in his realm

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Came across this small channel that posted an interesting video in regards to Youtube's Anti-AdBlocker policies called The Cobra Effect: Why Anti-Adblock Policies Could Hurt Revenue Instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIHi9yH6UB0

He also did another similar video about Netflix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N42orJnGj8E

And then another one he posted a couple days ago about Contract Law vs It's Just a Prank, Bro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPeXBVju1JE

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

fun hater posted:

And after you're done with that you get to suffer an embolism because the device deliberately cut off bloodflow in one of your arteries to do the slicing!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Happy Landfill posted:

Came across this small channel that posted an interesting video in regards to Youtube's Anti-AdBlocker policies called The Cobra Effect: Why Anti-Adblock Policies Could Hurt Revenue Instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIHi9yH6UB0

He also did another similar video about Netflix https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N42orJnGj8E

And then another one he posted a couple days ago about Contract Law vs It's Just a Prank, Bro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPeXBVju1JE

"Adblockers are not allowed on YouTube"? News to me, my adblockers work just fine.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It's triggered by youtube being unable to gather analytics and certain adblock filter lists that block the wrong portions of the website. So it's mostly impacting people who use things like privacy badger or ghostery. This also does not impact you if you live in a country where mass data harvesting is illegal, or unprofitable to youtube.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Has anyone put some Flintstones running sound effects on this before?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I turned off adblock on Youtube to see what it was like and one of the first ads they served me was Jorp telling me to be meaner to people to be a man. Doing a heck of a job, Google

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Still waiting for Todd to do O Superman....

While you're waiting, there's a cool book about Laurie Anderson's work that came out recently!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Paingod556 posted:

This is the one I make sure to show mates, since they never can guess the end result. Because it's the stupidest thing possible. Especially the 'what if it was a gun, but without the barrel or the chamber or the 'gun' part of the gun?'

Also bonus 'ideal for domestic terrorism' application at the end. Like the hidden Katyusha ute they've proposed in other videos.

russian army brought to its knees by sophisticated drones doing the bullet hammering hillbilly party trick

basically just throwing poo poo at the wall and hoping some sticks to a passing billionaire, what a legend

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

FuturePastNow posted:

I turned off adblock on Youtube to see what it was like and one of the first ads they served me was Jorp telling me to be meaner to people to be a man. Doing a heck of a job, Google

Since I use my PC for things like posting on this forum, I sometimes watch YouTube on my PS5, and let me tell you, some of the ads are loving weird. Especially here in Germany. Expect your video game stream to be interrupted mid-word for a sudden, unexplained 16-minute documentation about fishing in the North Sea. (Did you know the North Sea can sometimes suddenly form Tornados to gently caress up your fishing boat?)

Seriously, I'm not sure what is weirder, sometimes having idiots ramble on trying to rope you into lunatic scams, or a sudden completely straight-laced documentary about some mundane poo poo. Like, is our government paying for this? Who is paying for random documentaries on YouTube? :psyduck:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Libluini posted:

Since I use my PC for things like posting on this forum, I sometimes watch YouTube on my PS5, and let me tell you, some of the ads are loving weird. Especially here in Germany. Expect your video game stream to be interrupted mid-word for a sudden, unexplained 16-minute documentation about fishing in the North Sea. (Did you know the North Sea can sometimes suddenly form Tornados to gently caress up your fishing boat?)

Seriously, I'm not sure what is weirder, sometimes having idiots ramble on trying to rope you into lunatic scams, or a sudden completely straight-laced documentary about some mundane poo poo. Like, is our government paying for this? Who is paying for random documentaries on YouTube? :psyduck:

The people who make the documentaries (or any other weirdly sponsored vid) often pay for it because it counts as a view on their video. Supposedly sometimes people buy other folks videos as ads to crater their retention time and lower their recommendation status in the algorithm, particularly if its a topic where people are likely to search it and many folks are covering it.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Grassy Knowles posted:

The people who make the documentaries (or any other weirdly sponsored vid) often pay for it because it counts as a view on their video. Supposedly sometimes people buy other folks videos as ads to crater their retention time and lower their recommendation status in the algorithm, particularly if its a topic where people are likely to search it and many folks are covering it.

I think at one time GameGrumps paid for a spot to have Arin badly pretend to be his uncle and ramble on for something like 50 minutes in a weird parody of this kind of thing. He was trying to sell an imaginary book his "uncle" was the author of.

Supposedly he later actually wrote a book, but it also might be I'm still falling for this joke.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

russian army brought to its knees by sophisticated drones doing the bullet hammering hillbilly party trick

basically just throwing poo poo at the wall and hoping some sticks to a passing billionaire, what a legend

Just hoping for a wild home run like Pigeon Impossible getting turned into Spies in Disguise for some unexplainable reason

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Paingod556 posted:

This is the just the Portal 2 ad where they reveal the turrets fire entire bullets, casing and all, on a stupid spring system. It's 65% more bullet, per bullet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Libluini posted:

"Adblockers are not allowed on YouTube"? News to me, my adblockers work just fine.

I'm using ublock origin and it just now tried to flash that warning at me. Just refreshed the cache in ubo and it went away :smugdog: