Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I'm sure it'll be fine once the cap goes up in his year 39 season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

The Uncles of the Greater Toronto Area have spoken - Reaves Rules

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/CBJcenter/status/1713376798019375512?t=I6vbA-1KRAg5H3ZLi-_G2w&s=19

Enjoy your Andrew Peeke, CAS.

Also, my interest in the NHL as a whole has waned to the point where I had to look up who Conor Garland was.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

https://twitter.com/UncleLaleet/status/1713441580219277644?t=RROIipsuFv7kWQtf6bqWvQ

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/CBJcenter/status/1713376798019375512?t=I6vbA-1KRAg5H3ZLi-_G2w&s=19

Enjoy your Andrew Peeke, CAS.

Also, my interest in the NHL as a whole has waned to the point where I had to look up who Conor Garland was.

how did you miss it when we talk about the OEL trade every week here?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

AntiDepressor posted:

Cole Caufield gonna score 40 this year. And still only end up with 50-60 points.

ooh I love trivia like this which lead me to find:
there's only one player since the year 2000 to score 40+ goals with a <60 point season

here are some hints in increasing order of helpfulness
He played over 1000 games

He was a former star player than ended up the Rangers but didn't live up to his contract

He accomplished this feat playing for the Blue Jackets

He was selected 1st overall

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

To add to that question, there's only one player in the modern era to score 30+ goals and have <10 assists. Who could it be?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

ooh I love trivia like this which lead me to find:
there's only one player since the year 2000 to score 40+ goals with a <60 point season

here are some hints in increasing order of helpfulness
He played over 1000 games

He was a former star player than ended up the Rangers but didn't live up to his contract

He accomplished this feat playing for the Blue Jackets

He was selected 1st overall
Nash in 03-04. He won the Rocket Richard trophy that year (it was a 3 way tie with Iginla and Kovalchuk) in maybe the worst scoring environment in memory. Compare to last year where 19 players hit 40 goals.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Sabres game last night was bizarre. The first Islanders goal came after it looked like Clifton was tripped, the second one was a totally weird bounce and the third one might have been knocked down with a high stick but apparently the NHL can’t be bothered to have cameras set up so they can get a good viewing angle to determine that.

At least the Sabres played pretty well and the Greenway-Mittelstadt-Benson line is insanely good. It sucks to start 0-2-0 but they’ll bounce back.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

I loved the first intermission bit where Bieksa claimed that Nylander’s first goal wasn’t a move he would have made last year without the “toughness” around the team, then the broadcast immediately showed a clip from last year of Willy scoring the exact same goal against the Wild in OT.

The Toronto media frenzy around Reaves is already ridiculous and it’s game 2.

He was a pain in the rear end, but really not that useful in that game. Matthews line had a field day though and that’s very annoying. Just bad team defense from Minnesota. Toronto played well.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Jhet posted:

He was a pain in the rear end, but really not that useful in that game. Matthews line had a field day though and that’s very annoying. Just bad team defense from Minnesota. Toronto played well.

The Wild carried play at evens to be fair, though score effects played a part in that. The Leafs PP has been covering up a lot of nonsense from the defence and Samsonov made some big stops in the second half. If the PP keeps this up I might need to reevaluate my opinion on Guy Boucher.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Koopa Kid posted:

The Wild carried play at evens to be fair, though score effects played a part in that. The Leafs PP has been covering up a lot of nonsense from the defence and Samsonov made some big stops in the second half. If the PP keeps this up I might need to reevaluate my opinion on Guy Boucher.

Yeah, Samsonov didn’t look like he was seeing the puck very well the whole game, but the Wild couldn’t finish very well either. And for the third period it’s a wash once the scoreboard gap got big enough.

Leafs PP is absurd and Matthews should just keep the Rocket Richard trophy already.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Caller ID: Patrik Allvin

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The man makes some good points let's make him POHO

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

bub spank posted:

Detroit’s new goal song being the most annoying part of Without Me is an inspired choice, but I feel like they should’ve waited a few more years until they’re better before adopting an annoying goal song. As a matter of principle, I think you can’t have an annoying goal song unless the team is actually good (like the Leafs with Hall & Oates, Hawks with Chelsea Dagger).

https://x.com/bsmotorcity/status/1713339822427779129?s=46&t=JGipJoH3wkxHlVpI9Q8vww

It's awful, annoying, and is an awful choice. Should've gone with Jack White, Eminem is awful vibes all around.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Sorry but that's infinitely better than Chelsea Dagger, the worst goal song in hockey by miles.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

fawning deference posted:

To add to that question, there's only one player in the modern era to score 30+ goals and have <10 assists. Who could it be?

This has to be Bondra, right?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya in the lockout season.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This Tweet:

https://twitter.com/NYCTheMiC/status/1713358497776050223?t=NKHMyays77VYBan9AcJOpA&s=19

Led me to this:

https://twitter.com/NYCTheMiC/status/1713325262807466034?t=h7nG6U6QaVplkPLwaAQu3Q&s=19

And I found "Oh Joe, He's Finnish" funnier than I probably should've.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Matt Zerella posted:

Sorry but that's infinitely better than Chelsea Dagger, the worst goal song in hockey by miles.

Chelsea Dagger is great because it's upbeat with a good hook, and isn't a local recluse intentionally trying to be annoying.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im assuming this happened in a lockout year because I cant see it happening in a full season.

Owen Nolan, Jeff Carter or Rick Nash?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

AsInHowe posted:

Chelsea Dagger is great because it's upbeat with a good hook, and isn't a local recluse intentionally trying to be annoying.

Yeah no and no. You're just getting old and reactionary :lol:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Matt Zerella posted:

Yeah no and no. You're just getting old and reactionary :lol:

No! It's that the whole Eminem aesthetic is depressing. He got a restaurant within the District Detroit, and it's all tacky white trash trailer park poo poo.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

AsInHowe posted:

No! It's that the whole Eminem aesthetic is depressing. He got a restaurant within the District Detroit, and it's all tacky white trash trailer park poo poo.

That just sounds like Detroit to me!?! What's the problem here?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

AsInHowe posted:

I thought Kid Rock had that market cornered in Detroit. :v:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

The Rangers goal song is a bunch of Irish Italian Neanderthals from the tri state area yelling "woah" and "hey" and no one gets mad about it, have some pride!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

pseudodragon posted:

Reaves seems like he'd be a fun dude to have in the role they wanted guys like Simmonds/Clifford for. Dude that plays like once a week or if the team is in a funk and needs some good vibes and then goes back to being a cheerleader the rest of the time.

Reaves is going to play 60+ games if the other 4th line options keep sucking/not getting a chance to do anything.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

The Rangers goal song is a bunch of Irish Italian Neanderthals from the tri state area yelling "woah" and "hey" and no one gets mad about it, have some pride!

I get mad about it

AsInHowe posted:

It's awful, annoying, and is an awful choice. Should've gone with Jack White, Eminem is awful vibes all around.

It's awesome and perfect, and they used Jack White before ("battle cry" I believe). you're missing the point if you just pick a good song

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Matt Zerella posted:

Your Neanderthals are happily yelling, not ironically yelling!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ooha eeeah, itsa da goala

E: sorry, I'm in Italy and it'sa hard-a to not constantly do-a a racist accent.

E2: ooh-a eee-a, wee loos-a all-a dee wars-a

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 15, 2023

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Furnaceface posted:

I thought Kid Rock had that market cornered in Detroit. :v:

Kid Rock pretty much got fired and ran out of town! In 2019-20! He's largely a non-entity in the area now.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Late to the answer but yes it was Peter Bonda in 94-95. 34-9-43. Ray Sheppard went 30-10-40 too

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

i really , really thought this was gonna be thomas holmstrom but his 30 goal year he had 22 assists so :shrug:

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
was just perusing the NHL site and I saw this and thought "yea that makes sense"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The Pens actually taking care of two bad teams in a back-to-back was nice to see. And I feel very very much better about seeing Nedeljkovic in goal than I ever did seeing DeSmith. But boy, the Pens need to work out how to move the puck out of their own zone without icing it in 5-v-5, or the good possession teams are going to grind their decrepit asses all the way down.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
In no particular order my Pens observations - Harkins is extremely bad and needs to be dropped immediately. DoC isn't a 3rd liner either...Eller has done well though. 4th line has been unnoticeable to passable. The 2nd line has been excellent and GCR poor but improved from opening night. The d core has been really iffy as well in transition and leaving the d zone.... again some improvement game over game. I think the big 'if' right now is improving that 3rd line. Dubas and the Pens piled a huge number of 'tweeners' and vets and Harkins has the worst expected outcomes of any player right now...while also having bad actual results to go with it. If Dubas really is quick to make adjustments and waive (lol) should be really soon to see something different there. Otherwise the improvement in execution from opening night was very noticable... however when they come up against any team that can skate it's going to be ugly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
As prophesied in this space several years ago, Rust has lost a step and is already veering toward uselessness. His entire game has always been his speed and aggression, he doesn't have any really plus skills to go with it. Gonna be a swift and ugly decline for him.

Carter and Harkins gotta go... but who do you replace them with? There is nothing. It's going to end up with the Wayne Train making its final stop in Pittsburgh, or something very much like that, and boy is that gonna be uuuuuuuugly.

Still, with everyone healthy this is the 6th or 7th best team in the East. Going to need a second straight year of great injury luck to stay afloat though. By which I mostly mean Letang and Karlsson are both going to need to be good for 70+ games because without both of them the team may never leave its own end.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Still, with everyone healthy this is the 6th or 7th best team in the East. Going to need a second straight year of great injury luck to stay afloat though. By which I mostly mean Letang and Karlsson are both going to need to be good for 70+ games because without both of them the team may never leave its own end.

Don't know if I agree with you here. At best they are behind the Rangers, Devils, and 'Canes in their own division. I'm not convinced they are better than the Islanders, who have better goaltending and defense (the latter would certainly matter more in a head to head rather than overall standings sense though). Nevertheless, you aren't wrong about the injury risk point with those players.

I saw their first two games against Chicago and Washington, and the Pens just looked slow. It's not a brilliant observation to note that some of their highest impact players are in their mid to late 30s, but there it is. They aren't flying around the ice they way some of the newer players can, and these are the first games of the season. I also dunno that you want two players of the Letang- and Karlsson-type on the same blue line. Seems like a bit of a duplication of talent, not unlike what San Jose had going on with Karlsson and Burns.

Back to the East-wide picture, In the Atlantic, Toronto is better. Tampa's group may be in the back half of their prime's and they are in trouble with Vasilevskiy out until probably January, but they should still get their share of points, as should Florida. Is Pittsburgh better than Boston? It's definitely not a sure thing if so. I am of the opinion that we could see two out of Detroit, Ottawa, and Buffalo make it this year, which would likely mean only 3 metro teams. Buffalo has been stockpiling young talent for a while now and their group could have enough experience now to really put it together this season. This is how I see it breaking down:

Metro: 1. Rangers 2. Hurricanes 3. Devils
Atlantic: 1. Toronto 2. Florida 3. Buffalo
Wildcard 1: Tampa

That leaves one playoff spot for Ottawa, Detroit, Boston, Pittsburgh, and the Islanders to fight over. Don't know that Pittsburgh makes it in that dogfight.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Vinnie Hinostroza has 148 points in his 360 NHL games playing 12 minutes a night. Harkins has 27 points in 160 games. It's like they found an even shittier ZAR. Which is impressive. Colin White also an iffier replacement, but also some vague NHL level offense there as well. Both significantly less awful than Haskins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
IMO the way it works in the east is that the only locks are Carolina, NYR, Toronto, and New Jersey. Tampa, Florida, Pittsburgh, Boston, and Buffalo could all fall anywhere from 5th to 9th in any order and I wouldn't be particularly surprised. The Islanders and Ottawa are teams I could see being a wild card playoff team if a lot goes right for them, but I don't see them finishing 3rd in their division.