Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
its a constitutional republic you stupid liberals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

I never played the original Deus Ex, but isn't the plot partly that there's an epidemic and there's an effective vaccine that's available but only for the rich and powerful, which causes riots? In our timeline, a safe and effective vaccine was available for everyone, for free, and the "debacle" was people rioting not to get it. So actually the complete opposite.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

small butter posted:

I never played the original Deus Ex, but isn't the plot partly that there's an epidemic and there's an effective vaccine that's available but only for the rich and powerful, which causes riots? In our timeline, a safe and effective vaccine was available for everyone, for free, and the "debacle" was people rioting not to get it. So actually the complete opposite.

I think the point they’re not very subtly trying to make is that the virus in Deus Ex is manufactured as part of a bid to control the world

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

small butter posted:

in deus ex the virus was made by the conspiracy to kill people and make them afraid and the vaccine was made by the conspiracy as a means to control people

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the plot of deus ex is that every alex jones conspiracy is real

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Prettz posted:

lol thinking anyone still considers the US a democracy

:rolleyes:

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Any gay frogs? Deciding if I should play it

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Even the gay frogs?:ohdear:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Renreeja posted:

*hangs head solemnly* As tragic as mass shootings are, we still need them for a functioning democracy

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of children. Lots of children. ~Thomas Jefferson

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
deus ex was released in the year 2000 before the gay frogs

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
even if there were gay frogs in it, you wouldn't be able to hit on them 'cuz gay sexing everybody wasn't a thing in video games back then

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

The gay frogs aren't a part of the story but they're there in the subtext if you look for them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hippocrass posted:

Even the gay frogs?:ohdear:

Gay frogs evolved into greasels

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

TVs Ian posted:

That’s what I was thinking, if it or the Cybertruck can temporarily float, aren’t they just going to go wherever the current takes them, until they stop floating? It’s not like they have propellers, spinning tires aren’t going to move them if they’re off the ground.

thrust via wheel rotation

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You just need some really deep treads.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Australia Fines X for Not Providing Information on Child Abuse Content

quote:

Australia said on Sunday that it would fine X for failing to provide information about its efforts to combat child exploitation and that the social media service had told officials that its automated detection of abusive material declined after Elon Musk bought the company.

The amount of the fine is 610,500 Australian dollars, or about $384,000.

X, formerly known as Twitter, did not comply with a national law that requires platforms to disclose what they are doing to fight child exploitation on their services, Australian officials said. They said they had sent legal notices to X, Google, Discord, TikTok and Twitch in February, asking the companies for details about their measures for detecting and removing child sexual abuse material.

“Companies can make empty statements like ‘Child exploitation is our top priority,’ so what we’re saying is show us,” Julie Inman Grant, Australia’s commissioner in charge of online safety, said in an interview. “This is important not only in terms of deterrence in the types of defiance we are seeing from the companies but because this information is in the public interest.”

Mr. Musk bought Twitter for $44 billion last October. Since then, he has renamed the service X and loosened the platform’s content moderation rules. The company said this year that it was suspending hundreds of thousands of accounts for sharing abusive material, but a New York Times review in February found that such imagery persisted on the platform.

X told Australian officials that its detection of child abuse material on the platform had fallen to 75 percent from 90 percent in the three months after Mr. Musk bought the company. The detection has since improved, X told them.

Google and X failed to answer all of the regulator’s questions, Australian officials said. While Google received a warning, they said, X’s lack of a response was more extensive.

Tech companies take varied approaches to detecting and eradicating child sexual abuse materials. Some use automated scanning tools on all parts of their platforms, while others use them only in certain circumstances. Several of the companies said they responded to reports of abuse within minutes, while others take hours, according to a report from Australia’s eSafety Commissioner.

X can appeal the fine. The company did not immediately have a comment. Lucinda Longcroft, a director of government affairs and public policy for Google, said in a statement, “Protecting children on our platforms is the most important work we do.” She added, “We remain committed to these efforts and collaborating constructively and in good faith with the safety commissioner, government and industry on the shared goal of keeping Australians safer online.”

X also told the Australian regulator that it maintained a “zero-tolerance policy” on child sexual abuse material and was committed to finding and removing the content on its platform. The company said it uses automated software to detect abusive images and has experts who can review content shared on the platform in 12 languages.

In response to whether children might be targeted for grooming on X, the company told the regulator, “Children are not our target customer, and our service is not overwhelmingly used by children.”

Linda Yaccarino, X’s chief executive, recently said at a conference that Generation Z was the company’s fastest-growing demographic, with 200 million teenagers and young adults in their 20s visiting the platform each month.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Cool Dad posted:

The gay frogs aren't a part of the story but they're there in the subtext if you look for them.

They’re in the vents actually https://images.app.goo.gl/WQjvH4ozhq77DVFD7

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Is there a point where the Homertruck is actually released, and everyone realizes this is a joke product and the stock tanks?

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

small butter posted:

In Deus Ex, the gray death virus (and the ambrosia vaccine to cure it / treat it) was manufactured in a lab in Hong Kong

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Escape Goat posted:

Is there a point where the Homertruck is actually released, and everyone realizes this is a joke product and the stock tanks?

Maybe!

Not releasing at all would also eventually have this effect... Probably

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OK i'll bite. Why is it called Deus Ex? Did the full phrase not test well or something?

Gonna write a game and call it "Veni Vidi"

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Because then it would have been a conspiracy of gods

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Data Graham posted:

OK i'll bite. Why is it called Deus Ex? Did the full phrase not test well or something?

because you play as a cyborg

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
They wanted to name it godout, but that was too similar to fallout

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
surprised elon doesnt have a kid named deus ex yet

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

surprised elon doesnt have a kid named deus x yet

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Escape Goat posted:

are you asking if there's a point where the news and the stock market admit that maybe elon musk is just a plain old dipshit and not a genius visionary after all? 'cuz uhh i don't see that happening

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Due Sex

Elon offers employees a GEP gun (made out of hardware store parts) or a horse

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

deus ex was released in the year 2000 before the gay frogs

Not by much though;

https://www.abc.net.au/science/arti...20sex%20organs.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

oh my god jc a boer

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Data Graham posted:

in part because someone thought it would be funny if the game was called "deuce sex"

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Data Graham posted:

cause you become a god

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Prettz posted:

cause you become a god

Cyber-Punisher

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

maybealabia posted:

Maybe!

Not releasing at all would also eventually have this effect... Probably

After how long though? It's already been many years.

Star Citizens been going 10 years now. People seem crazily patient for crap.

redshirt posted:

Cyber-Punisher

Thtat's how many people play the character yes. Give me that GEP gun, take the no violent approach, my rear end.

egg_dog
Nov 12, 2005

nͬ͒̂̓̂ͪoͨ́
Fun Shoe

uhh.. [drops cue cards]

Nazis... a boer... a vaccine

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

dr_rat posted:

After how long though? It's already been many years.

Star Citizens been going 10 years now. People seem crazily patient for crap.

Star citizen doesn't have a market cap bigger than Nintendo, Sony, Sega, and Microsoft combined

The fans will wait but big investors will start to bail

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Escape Goat posted:

no. if they manage to bring it to market theyll have no problem selling it to so many morons. better things? arent possible

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
:frogout: machina

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

FoolyCharged posted:

So what you're saying is that the argument that all their value is tied in stocks is horseshit, always has been, and they in fact can come up with the money?

Because Elon handed people 40 billion for Twitter without destroying the companies he owned and while that'd an extreme example I haven't exactly seen any billionaires struggling to afford their umpteenth mansion either.

Again, none of this is to make any implication that the thing preventing Elon Musk doing good things with his money is his lack of liquidity

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

redshirt posted:

Cyber-Punisher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

#gamers