Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Huge business opportunity for someone living near an IKEA to go pickup orders and take them to UPS to ship for a reasonable cost.

There’s a company in Nashville that’s been in business for like 15 years more or less just driving to Atlanta to buy Ikea things for people and keeping a marked-up Nashville inventory of the most popular things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thufir posted:

There’s a company in Nashville that’s been in business for like 15 years more or less just driving to Atlanta to buy Ikea things for people and keeping a marked-up Nashville inventory of the most popular things.

There used to be a company called Pirate Joe's that did the same, taking Trader Joe's stuff across the Canadian border and selling it there. They got shut down.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Is Ikea's delivery just hosed regionally? I just had an eknesset chair shipped for $10 via UPS. It didn't even ship from the closest IKEA (about 25 minutes away) .

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

a dingus posted:

Is Ikea's delivery just hosed regionally? I just had an eknesset chair shipped for $10 via UPS. It didn't even ship from the closest IKEA (about 25 minutes away) .

I'm in the process of installing an IKEA kitchen and have had to make several extra orders for bits here and there. Where your item comes from depends on what you're ordering. If the item is coming from the local Ikea it'll ship via their logistics company. If it's coming from the regional distribution center it might come via FedEx/UPS if your entire order is available from that hub otherwise it might first go to your local warehouse then ship out via their logistics company. At least, that seems to have been my experience over the last six months or so.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

a dingus posted:

I could order 1 x Kallax with free shipping. If I add a second it jumps to $200 shipping. Something is hosed.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
My mom tried to order a chair for my daughter and it just… never was sent? 4 months in purgatory, eventually I just went myself when we needed some other things and got it.

If Ikea ever did figure out shipping, they would be unstoppable. Maybe that’s for the best.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I went with Ikea for my kitchen remodel and the delivery portion was a huge pain in the rear end.

I think My order had over 200 items, probably 100+ boxes. Everything was delivered via their logistics company, but the delivery dates were sort of questionable. When I finally received a delivery, it turned out that it wasn't my entire order, so I had to wait another few days for the logistics company to drop off the remaining items.

Then, when you take delivery you have something like a 48 hour window to do a full inventory of what was sent to you and compare it to your order list to make sure you received everything. I think outside of that window they will make you pay for any additional or missing items.

That was not fun, but my wife and I managed to do it.

What you don't realize is if an item on your kitchen design somehow doesn't make it to your order list you won't realize you're missing something. This happened to use with the 2 4ft x 8ft panels that you use to enclose the refrigerator. Somehow the person that placed our order deleted those items from our parts list so we only discovered they were missing when we started hanging all the cabinets.

Fortunately the Ikea in Austin had the panels in stock, but we then had to go borrow someone else's car because there was no way they would fit in whatever vehicle we took to the store.

ohhyeah posted:

Someone else will have to help with expensive furniture but I have Ikea recommendations.

An easy single bookshelf would be like a HEMNES in black+wood. Or pair the BDI console with some ladder shelves from the same company.

However for some reason I’m seeing a sideboard plus floating shelves. I wouldn’t want to compete with the BDI console’s wood so a non-wood look BESTA, or maybe you like the metal FJALLBO. Floating shelves are whatever, BERGSHULT has a bunch of options, but we have some EKET cubes that look good.

We installed a Besta entertainment center/system at my mom's house and while it's not unattractive, I was disappointed in the sturdiness of the cabinets versus the SEKTION kitchen cabinets. I think they also would not fit most stereos/receivers so that ruled them out for my purposes.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

BERGSHULT

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016

MetaJew posted:

We installed a Besta entertainment center/system at my mom's house and while it's not unattractive, I was disappointed in the sturdiness of the cabinets versus the SEKTION kitchen cabinets. I think they also would not fit most stereos/receivers so that ruled them out for my purposes.

Huh? I thought all the media stuff was going in the BDI media console. I was just giving ideas for furniture to go next to it. If you have specific requirements maybe you should go to the audiophile threads. Or BDI has a dedicated audio tower in that collection.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

BDI is really good

i have this media unit from dwr https://www.dwr.com/living-media-storage/aura-media-unit/1198.html?sku=100156878

this one is also kind of cool if you like the BDI stuff https://www.dwr.com/living-media-storage/line-media-console/5158.html?lang=en_US&sku=100143645

you could just center them against the wall and put one speaker on each side

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
Why is there so much hate for accordion doors?

I'm in the process of buying a house, and (among others) the door to the furnace / water heater closet has bifold doors. Because of where it is, even bifolds take up too much space when open. There's no room for either a pocket door or barn door, and I feel like it's unsafe to have the utilities close to a curtain. I really don't want them just exposed, though.

I honestly really like accordion doors, and I think they're the right answer here, but if the whole Internet hates them then there must be a reason.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Hungry Squirrel posted:

Why is there so much hate for accordion doors?

I'm in the process of buying a house, and (among others) the door to the furnace / water heater closet has bifold doors. Because of where it is, even bifolds take up too much space when open. There's no room for either a pocket door or barn door, and I feel like it's unsafe to have the utilities close to a curtain. I really don't want them just exposed, though.

I honestly really like accordion doors, and I think they're the right answer here, but if the whole Internet hates them then there must be a reason.

I think most people (myself included) associate accordion doors with late 20th century interiors like this:

Not that there's anything really wrong with that room -- and the door looks decently constructed. It's just extremely out of style.

They also tend to be so cheap that they're always falling off the tracks, the panels crack easily, the plastic yellows over time etc. But I'm sure there are more premium or stylish options out there that people wouldn't bat an eyelash at.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hungry Squirrel posted:

If there is one thing irrelevant to home decor, it's the door to the furnace room. Seriously. It performs the function of preventing the furnace from being on full view all the time, and that's all it needs to do.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Wasn’t sure whether to post this here or in the house thread but here goes.

We have an office with a standard sliding glass door with vertical vinyl blinds. We’re converting it to a baby room (first one for us) and I wanted to find a better solution to block out light, since the blinds are pretty terrible for that.

I’ve seen a couple options online (roller blinds, black out drapes) but I’m wondering what someone who actually knows about this stuff might suggest. I’m not exactly window-treatment savvy.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

a primate posted:

We have an office with a standard sliding glass door with vertical vinyl blinds. We’re converting it to a baby room (first one for us) and I wanted to find a better solution to block out light, since the blinds are pretty terrible for that.

I’ve seen a couple options online (roller blinds, black out drapes) but I’m wondering what someone who actually knows about this stuff might suggest. I’m not exactly window-treatment savvy.

Congrats!

I feel like blackout curtains are probably going to be the simplest option (make sure they are washable for when baby learns to projectile vomit). Maybe it is just me, but I would imagine adjusting any kind of blinds to be a little more fussy than I would want to deal with while e.g. pacing with a colicky newborn. Unless you get the remote-control kind I guess.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

a primate posted:

I researched a lot of blackout curtains and I fortunately the best ones no longer are available -- Bed, Bath, and Beyond made some that did an excellent job of blocking light and were made with nice fabric. Now everything that's out there outside of custom stuff seems either to suck at blocking light, or had cheap fabric.

These curtains from Amazon do a great job of blocking light but the fabric is subpar -- feels a bit cheap. But there's a simple solution if you really want the room to look nice: buy another set of grommet curtains in the same size with nice fabric and stack the curtains with the blackout curtain facing out the window. You get all of the light filtered out, and people looking in can't tell the fabric is cheap.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I’ll pick a pair of those up. I was thinking of putting up some sheers behind the blackouts for when a little light would be nice. I guess I’ll have to buy a dual track curtain rod or something. Off to Google I go.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My apartment has a small dining room, a square space roughly 7.5’ x 7.5’ in size. Almost more of a nook. The kitchen has an eating counter that sits at least two, but I want to fill the dining space with a table as well. Apparently you need at least 3’ of clearance on all sides, so I can only get a 1.5’ x 1.5’ table :gonk:

What other options do I have? How would you fill a 7.5’ x 7.5’ dining room(/nook)? I don’t have company often, so no heavy use, but it’d be nice to eat there instead of the counter or maybe set up a board game or hobby space or something.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 10, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Push a table up against a wall. Built in booth seating along one side (or this is a rental, so they don't have to be attached to a wall, just up against it). Bench seating. One of those standing only tables they have at outdoor bars...

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

My apartment has a small dining room, a square space roughly 7.5’ x 7.5’ in size. Almost more of a nook. The kitchen has an eating counter that sits at least two, but I want to fill the dining space with a table as well. Apparently you need at least 3’ of clearance on all sides, so I can only get a 1.5’ x 1.5’ table :gonk:

What other options do I have? How would you fill a 7.5’ x 7.5’ dining room(/nook)? I don’t have company often, so no heavy use, but it’d be nice to eat there instead of the counter or maybe set up a board game or hobby space or something.

That’s plenty of room for a standard size restaurant booth. Hell, go nuts and buy an old diner booth off Facebook. You have barely enough room to build a high roller style full radius half circle booth, which would be my recommendation. Check it out: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/guide/781/how-to-choose-restaurant-booths-for-your-dining-room.html

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Any goons proud of their home office setups? I could use visual inspiration.

I have about 12 x 20 feet to work with, thinking large desk but also a chill sitting area with a TV.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Mine is just being finished up so it looks half like a construction zone but I'm really digging it so far. I need to mount my shelf boards and put my pictures and stuff up on the wall still. This space is about 12x12. If I had 8ft more I'd definitely put in a TV with a small couch and coffee table. It'd be the perfect size for that.

I have to say my original idea for a layout was much different. I had my desk on the blue wall to take better advantage of the window. But ultimately I liked this better once I got my things inside. So you might plan and do something totally different when it's all said and done. For inspiration I leaned into things I really like such as 18th century stuff and MCM. I spent a lot of time browsing pictures on Reddit and bookmarking/taking notes on what I liked.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

smoobles posted:

I have about 12 x 20 feet to work with, thinking large desk but also a chill sitting area with a TV.

No pics of the actual space because I’m still setting it up after moving but I have one of these and it’s pretty great. It’s sort of like American made danish inspired furniture. I’m really trying to acquire a fourth bay so that it takes up the entire length of my wall.

https://midcenturywarehouse.com/kopenhavn-mid-century-wall-unit/

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

smoobles posted:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its great that you have the toilet right next to your work station.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

This looks great, my only critique is you should consider a double or queen size bed in case a girl comes over for the night.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Finally got a pendant for my table. Next step is definitely a dimmer switch for the bulb

Only registered members can see post attachments!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

smoobles posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

actionjackson posted:

Finally got a pendant for my table. Next step is definitely a dimmer switch for the bulb

Nice. Although I was super confused and thought it was 12" above the countertop at first

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Sick lamp

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

thanks - it's 30" above the table. 30-36" seems to be standard.

edit: lamp is semi from gubi

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 13, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When did people start calling it home office instead of study?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
March 11th, 2020

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Pondering the great mysteries of the universe in my princely cabinet

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

When did people start calling it home office instead of study?
In my brain, a "study" is a cozy dimly lit wood walled room, possibly smells like cigars. So whenever we stopped being able to afford that.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Nybble posted:

March 11th, 2020

lmao

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

finally doing the upgrade to the saarinen table for that spot. 20% off and free shipping means it's basically what it ways pre-covid

unfortunately my table is good for one person, or three people, but not two as you necessarily have the table legs in the way of the legs of one person at all times. it's really more of a "cafe table" but worked fine when covid was raging as no one was visiting!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Has anyone here ever hid their living room TV behind sliding art panels?

I'm moving to a new place where it won't really be feasible to have a separate home theater anymore, but I am 100% against having an obvious TV in the middle of the living room. The solution I thought up was to get a super thin wall-mounted TV and place two sliding art pieces (or maybe one huge art piece!) in front of it, which I can just slide out of the way when I want to use the TV. Selling off my separate home theater gear will conveniently help to pay this off.

These Media Decor Art Lifts look like the perfect solution but they are $8,750. They are automatic and silent and fancy and I don't need all that, I'm happy just pushing it out of the way manually. Also I would pick some art that isn't godawful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Have an artwork you like printed on canvas, then mount it as a drape above the TV with a cord to lift/lower it.