Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1062810/announcements/detail/7306585773982973655

Bullying works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I hope expansions have a comeback.

Alkanos
Jul 20, 2009

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fht-YAWN

Volte posted:

Has there been a UE5 game yet that didn't result in a disastrous launch due to nobody being able to run it very well?

Remnant 2 at launch ran pretty well. It did have some issues like every major game released in the last few years, but overall was a pretty smooth launch if I'm remembering right.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alkanos posted:

Remnant 2 at launch ran pretty well. It did have some issues like every major game released in the last few years, but overall was a pretty smooth launch if I'm remembering right.

It absolutely did not and still doesn't.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

"Removing In-Game Monetization" is a hilarious game banner

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Citing lagging storefront sales, major game publishers will now transition to macrotransactions to make up development costs. Take out a second mortgage for this one-of-a-kind Sombra skin.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Since this is the closest we have to a PC Gaming General thread, I'm gonna put this here.

I accidentally stumbled upon something called DXVK, which makes games that otherwise render using DirectX use Vulkan API instead, which is notably more optimized in some CPU-bound situations, especially compared to DX11 and below.
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

I tried using it on Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters (this loving title) and comparing the framerate I was getting in one specific scene and my fps went up 42 to 78 fps.
Now, I'm pretty sure this was accidentally the absolute most optimal use case, as it was a CPU-bound scenario on a game using DX11, but I still found it to be incredibly impressive.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

We can't make more of this skin! It will collapse the economy!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

quote:

For that reason we are removing in-game monetization completely. Content from the existing Leveling Passes will be turned into cosmetic-only optional “supporter pack” DLCs sold on Steam.

Removing in-game monetization by turning it into out-of-game monetization?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Tamba posted:

It's a lot easier to ignore while playing, at least?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tamba posted:

The Deep Rock Galactic model is the best model. "Optional cosmetic support pack as DLC" is about as fair as you can get IMO.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fruits of the sea posted:

Bring Back Shareware

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Sab669 posted:

The Deep Rock Galactic model is the best model. "Optional cosmetic support pack as DLC" is about as fair as you can get IMO.

Co op gaming stays winning

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

exquisite tea posted:

Citing lagging storefront sales, major game publishers will now transition to macrotransactions to make up development costs. Take out a second mortgage for this one-of-a-kind Sombra skin.
We're deep into macrotransaction territory already. Microtransactions were supposed to be like 99 cents.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Volte posted:

We're deep into macrotransaction territory already. Microtransactions were supposed to be like 99 cents.

Yeah I was gonna say, Call of Duty has been charging like $20-30 for skins for years now. Nothing micro about that

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Are there at least any lords or any Fallen in the Lords of the Fallen?

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I vaguely remember the Warframe devs removing or changing some microtransaction thing when they realized that a single player had spent something like hundreds of dollars in a very short time, and they didn't want to cater to that "hooking the whales" mindset. Somebody here probably knows the story and can explain the details better than I can.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Well, review one, might as well review a whole list's worth, I guess.

Nefarious 2.0 described the original version of AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! Remastered as "the og bundle trash game" and... yeah, that pretty much describes the remaster too. It looks decent and it's amusing to fall through levels, but it's not that compelling on its own and is destined to be something you get as part of a bundle sometime, somewhere.

There's two games here I tried out based on recommendations in one of FutureCop's posts. Rabbit and Steel is the first of them, and despite being an MMO junkie for most of my life, I wasn't a fan.

Maybe it's how the mouse-movement controls felt stiff (although still usable) and it seems like it's meant to be played with a controller. But it's more that I like most of the fiddly bits of MMOs as the spice of life, and condensing the genre down to Raid Simulator 9000 doesn't really hold that much appeal to me. Maybe if I had a friend group all lined up for this, I'd give it another go, but as it is, this is probably the only game I already had on my wishlist that I un-wishlisted as a result of playing the demo.

Kind of the opposite of Microcivilization that way: that's a game I liked but couldn't really recommend to anyone. This is a game I couldn't stand, which I heartily recommend to its intended target audience.

The other FutureCop recommended game is GUNHEAD. I had a lot of fun with this one. Probably not on my immediate list of buying priorities anywhere in the future, especially since I still need to get through Gunfire Reborn. But it certainly did hit all the right notes for bouncing/jetpacking around in a mini-mechsuit while shooting stuff.

At first I thought that Sea of Survivors was supposed to be some kind of Waves of Steel variant, until I remembered: oh right, Survivors game. Seems like it's hitting all the right buttons, but kind of worried that it might not be anything special compared to the rest of its genre. Definitely got the theme on point. Full game releases in three days, so I'll look at the Steam page and read the reviews then, but tentatively interested.

Dethroned is an army-building roguelike tactical autobattler. Okay now let's unpack that word salad: you start with a couple of dudes in a very small army, and have them move around a grid while you work up to obtain currency and influence to build a bigger army and upgrade your personal character. The game is based on small scale runs with set goals, and you'll either accomplish them or flame out relatively quickly.

Apart from positioning of units on the grid to inflict maximum damage on opposing armies, combat is pretty automatic, even down to supplemental spells autocasted from your mage/ruler. Funny enough, it's so much of an autobattler that it's worked into the mechanics that if the opposing army's composition has holes in it, you can run straight past it, since the enemy units will not turn to fight. Won't work once the armies get large enough, sadly.

Neat concept, not sure about the execution, but maybe it'll click better for me in the full version.

Songs of Silence is a strategy game divided into a turn-based kingdom management layer and battles with a sort of autobattler-ish core, but allowing for dynamic interaction via a mid-battle card playing mechanic. I get a very "what if you were playing a slightly less complicated version of Dominions, but the big difference is they let you do your combat orders in real time rather than having to program them in advance" sort of vibe from Songs of Silence, which makes it very difficult to describe in terms other than that. Good though.

pedro0930 already described Solium Infernum: a big backstabbing board game what is set in Hell. It's pretty much mostly as you remember it, with the rules slightly refined, made prettier (in a dark and infernal sort of way) and shoved on Steam to take advantage of network effects. I loved the concept but never found anyone to play the original with, instant buy from me whenever it comes out.

Last Train Home is a game where you play the role of a captain of a unit of the Czechoslovak Legion trying to get out of Russia after they bowed out from WWI. Unfortunately the rest of war is still going on, so going through the Central Powers lines is impossible. Instead you're riding an armored train all the way to Vladivostok through what is ostensibly friendly territory but in practice involves you getting shot at by both sides of the Russian Civil War (especially the Bolsheviks).

It's a... hmm.

Well, sometimes it's a small squad-based RTS as shown in the above picture. Sometimes it's a base building/survival crafting game as you try to upgrade the train with stuff scattered throughout the Russian countryside and make medical supplies to heal your soldiers/survive winter in Siberia. It's got RPG elements as you try to deal with people reacting to the stresses of the war and can find out more about their lives.

I'm worried that even with all the customizable difficulty sliders, Last Train Home might be too intense for me (the game's even tracking all the individual bullets that your soldiers have on them), but it's probably the most interesting game I found at NextFest that I wasn't already expecting.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 15, 2023

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

you could tell me that a game called "lords of the fallen" has been released every year since 1994 and I'd believe you.

Wasn't that the tagline of myth 2

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

beats for junkies posted:

I vaguely remember the Warframe devs removing or changing some microtransaction thing when they realized that a single player had spent something like hundreds of dollars in a very short time, and they didn't want to cater to that "hooking the whales" mindset. Somebody here probably knows the story and can explain the details better than I can.

Kubrow (space dog) color/physical appearance IIRC

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Jarvisi posted:

Myth 2 is just Soulblighter I think. Myth 1 is The Fallen Lords.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Jarvisi posted:

Myth 1 had the subtitle "The Fallen Lords"

but I can understand them, all the good game names are taken and there are none lef

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Want an offbrand basketball game Lords of the Ballin'

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Azran posted:

Kubrow (space dog) color/physical appearance IIRC

Yes, some dude kept rerolling the appearance of his dog because it wasn't perfect.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jossar posted:

Ton of cool reviews

Nice stuff! Shame Rabbit and Steel didn't work for ya, but I do understand your concerns that make it a bad fit for you (and I do have my own concerns as well). If I have some time I might look into Last Train Home: like you say it sounds rather interesting, kind of like that Interregnum Chronicles game.

Here comes some more Next Fest impressions to chew on:

NICE - Cobalt Core: It's already got a lot of praise in this thread and I will echo that praise, for this is a pretty dang cool, intuitive, polished and fun sci-fi roguelike deckbuilder that feels like some sort of reimagining of FTL that decided to do card-based combat ala Slay the Spire. Found it really creative with the way dodging is done by spending evasion points to shift the ship left to right, how missiles take a turn mid-flight so that you can shoot them down or dodge 'em, and much more.

UGH - Endless Alice: I hoped that this would provide a nice entertaining spectacle, but alas, this just feels like a really bad Chinese bootleg Risk of Rain 2 clone...with anime on top. Avoid.

NICE - STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R: Wow, this is shaping up to be a hell of a remake! Not only is it quite beautiful (tho a lil goofy due to the 2D pixel sprites in a hyper 3D world) and faithful, they really put the extra work into modernizing the experience with tons of quality of life while maintaining the game's appeal: encounters are now physically modeled into the world instead of random, combat has been revamped to flow better with spells no longer pausing the action and there's a new timed parry and bonus gauge system, and there's 2X speed cheats and much much more. Only disappointment: Claude now says "well that's worth 10 outta 10" instead of the classic "80 points" line! I always wanted to play this game and this looks to be exactly what I was waiting for.

UGH - Edge Road: An amusing concept where you play as the school edge lord naruto-running around and stylishly pulling off cool poses to shatter the enemies mental state in surprisingly decent character-action combat...isn't quite enough to make up for the absolutely abysmal translation and dreadfully repetitive loop of fight after fight with the only free area you can move around being a small hallway that contains your store and level select billboard. Could've potentially been a wacky B-tier brawler like Akiba's Trip or those Senran Kagura battlers but it falls very short even for that.

HMM - REAL WEB LEGENDS: Carter's Quest: This is...quite the weird one, made for those 'outsider art' explorers. Story feels really self-insert fanfic-y with you being some mute ponytail dude who crashes into this Zelda 64-esque world filled with wacky smug quippy anime characters and a totally nonsensical story. Having said that, though, the game had surprisingly high production values, especially when it came to the cutscenes which had an impressive level of camera work, unique posing and emoting, and so on. I'm not sure if the gameplay will end up being that great though: it's decent, but constantly interrupted by cutscenes (but again, those are the best part so maybe that's the appeal?) I dunno if it's the best way to sum it up, but I guess if you were to call it YIIK 64, or Zelda: Ocarina of YIIK, that might get the general feel? I really don't know, that makes it sound really bad when it wasn't really bad but just...interesting?

NICE - Warhammer Age of Sigmar: Realms of Ruin: I'm not the biggest RTS guy so take this with a grain of salt, but I found this to be quite fun! The campaign told a nice cinematic story, the mechanics were intuitive and taught very well, and all-around just felt like a very well-polished experience. The primary appeal for me which might not work for others was how this was a bit more of a simplified RTS: less about extensive free-form base-building and expendable faceless units put into a grinder, and more about units having important abilities you need to time, and simplified building/upgrading done through captured points. Basically it was kind of leaning towards the feel of a slightly more complex MOBA or a RTWP RPG, if that makes sense.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 15, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jossar posted:

The other FutureCop recommended game is GUNHEAD...

The devs posted:

Gunhead is a fast paced strategic roguelike FPS where you take the role of a pirate mech with a gun for a head, looting derelict spaceships filled with monstrous drones made out of bone and steel. Sequel to the 2d roguelite Cryptark.

I love the lore justification for why FPS cameras feel like they're in your chest given where the guns appear.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cyberpunk had an expansion this year and Elden Ring is gonna have one

I still think about this whenever people talk about combat drones

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Same with Age of Empires 4. Sadly a very bad time for an expansion about the Crusades, but still!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Where's the line between big DLC and small Expansions?

Not the Messiah
Jan 7, 2018
Buglord

Jack Trades posted:

Since this is the closest we have to a PC Gaming General thread, I'm gonna put this here.

I accidentally stumbled upon something called DXVK, which makes games that otherwise render using DirectX use Vulkan API instead, which is notably more optimized in some CPU-bound situations, especially compared to DX11 and below.
https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk

I tried using it on Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate - Daemonhunters (this loving title) and comparing the framerate I was getting in one specific scene and my fps went up 42 to 78 fps.
Now, I'm pretty sure this was accidentally the absolute most optimal use case, as it was a CPU-bound scenario on a game using DX11, but I still found it to be incredibly impressive.

Yeah, DXVK is absolutely magical for some games. I think GTA IV is notable for having massive improvements with it, I think a lot of DX9 era games can see big gains, Fallout NV is another one it's recommended for. I used it with Assassins Creed Origins and Odyssey and it basically completely removed the persistent stutter I had throughout them and increased my minimum and max framerates into the bargain. (after all the shaders were fully compiled, it stuttered for a while at first)

It's not a silver bullet, but it's a really good tool to keep in mind for trying to improve performance on older games. It also fuels a lot of Linux gaming these days!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

Where's the line between big DLC and small Expansions?

Indistinguishable. Even more indistinguishable when you consider games like DOTA/League that merely receive "patches" that change the map /increase the map size by like 30%, introduce new characters and items as well as balance updates.

It's all just madeup words with vaguely defined expectations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My line is that DLC is simply iterative on a game's existing content. So like a fighting game season pass might add 6 new characters and a bunch of minigames but it doesn't change the core experience.

A strategy game expansion that adds new mechanical layers that affect how you play no matter which faction you choose, or a story game that adds a whole new chapter to the story, is an expansion.

Something like the New Vegas DLC probably skirts the line, I guess I would consider all of the stories together as the "expansion to New Vegas"

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
There's no line. Some DLCs are expansions.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Ok, I get tired of hearing people get accused of just being nostalgic all the time. But THIS is just nostalgia.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Speaking of Myth, are there any good Myth-likes?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jossar posted:

Last Train Home is a game where you play the role of a captain of a unit of the Czechoslovak Legion trying to get out of Russia after they bowed out from WWI. Unfortunately the rest of war is still going on, so going through the Central Powers lines is impossible. Instead you're riding an armored train all the way to Vladivostok through what is ostensibly friendly territory but in practice involves you getting shot at by both sides of the Russian Civil War (especially the Bolsheviks).

It's a... hmm.

Well, sometimes it's a small squad-based RTS as shown in the above picture. Sometimes it's a base building/survival crafting game as you try to upgrade the train with stuff scattered throughout the Russian countryside and make medical supplies to heal your soldiers/survive winter in Siberia. It's got RPG elements as you try to deal with people reacting to the stresses of the war and can find out more about their lives.

I'm worried that even with all the customizable difficulty sliders, Last Train Home might be too intense for me (the game's even tracking all the individual bullets that your soldiers have on them), but it's probably the most interesting game I found at NextFest that I wasn't already expecting.

Looks interesting. I miss the "Commandos RTS" that the Men Of War series was in its beginning, maybe this scratches that itch.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Am I dumb, or can you not bind a screenshot button to the 8bitdo Ultimate controller? These are the only options I'm seeing for mapping a button.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Croccers posted:

Cripes Laika: Aged Through Blood demo has a very loving depressing vibe to it :(
Any idea what it's going to be priced at?

i deleted this p fast, art is good but the controls are incredibly fiddly and it seems very pleased with its own grimdark artiness, which i presumed was only going to get worse since it starts with someone crucified with their own intestines

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe

Rinkles posted:

Am I dumb, or can you not bind a screenshot button to the 8bitdo Ultimate controller? These are the only options I'm seeing for mapping a button.

I believe you can only bind buttons elsewhere on the controller or the listed special ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Naar posted:

I believe you can only bind buttons elsewhere on the controller or the listed special ones.

:negative: