Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

girl dick energy posted:

Funny story, if you wanna make money in food, the best way to do it is HQ ingredients. For example, if you sell high-quality Garlean Cheese, one of the ingredients in Baked Eggplant, not only are you spending less time crafting, because Garlean Cheese is a much easier recipe, the initial investment of Crafter poo poo required to reliably make it High Quality in one macro is much, much lower.

Edit: Though this does assume you've got a level 90 combat retainer getting you stacks of Ovibos Milk on repeat. I'm not sure how the math works out if you buy the milk.

Looking at my DC, the material cost for Garlean Cheese is ~1700 gil and the value of an HQ craft ~3000 gil. Margin is lower than on food, but it's faster at ~40s/craft. You'll also probably get fewer spiritbond materia since the recipe lvl is much lower than indagator's ilvl, but I am not sure how that shakes out exactly. It doesn't really matter if the milk came from ventures, bicolor gemstones, or the market board: you can trade it for ~300g/milk either way.

It's less value than Baked Eggplant where I am but close enough to be DC-dependent. In my case the NQ price is also close enough to the HQ price that the best approach is probably quick crafting.

I just really can't recommend mass bulk goods crafting. The margins are low, it's very time consuming, and not much fun. If you want something to do in the background while watching tv then sure, but it's still more a trickle than a flood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Honestly the best return on investment you're going to get from selling materials is dumping all of your Causality tomes into Thavnairian Flux or Grinding Fluid.

Once you've got your relics up to date, that is.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Xerophyte posted:

I just really can't recommend mass bulk goods crafting. The margins are low, it's very time consuming, and not much fun. If you want something to do in the background while watching tv then sure, but it's still more a trickle than a flood.
The main problem the other direction with crafting high-value goods is that you’re now dedicated towards keeping up with the price on the MB so yours stays the least expensive. It’s why I got out of the finished tools market. They move slowly enough that you need to keep an eye on the price at all times.

Meanwhile, ingredients and other goods (my current favorite is HQ Spodumene) move quickly enough that even if you get undercut, it’s no big deal. Someone will buy theirs and then someone else will buy yours. The initial time investment is higher, but once the stuff is finished, it’s much more ‘fire and forget’.

EDIT: This also works with lower-level crafts, even the stuff that’s several expansions old, as long as you identify what’s most important/useful. Most people can’t be hosed to deal with making their own Archaeornis Leather, because HW crafting is a screaming nightmare, so that’s my favorite thing to Quick Synthesis up a stack of whenever I get a good deal on the mats.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 15, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, most of my money has come from intermediate non-endgame crafting mats, often just selling off extras from my own crafting or treasure chests. Leather is perennially popular, and anything that takes multiple reagents, but people will absolutely just buy lumber and ingots too, especially if you list in small quantities so you get the sales from people doing single projects who don't need a 99-stack.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

With the best potions dropping from EO and tinctures only mattering to the top 0.1% of players, making glue really is the only thing keeping most Alchemists from irrelevancy, isn’t it?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

girl dick energy posted:

With the best potions dropping from EO and tinctures only mattering to the top 0.1% of players, making glue really is the only thing keeping most Alchemists from irrelevancy, isn’t it?

Alchemists make Alkahest which is a very commonly used crafted material. Also I think you're quite underselling tinctures, savage raid participation is nowhere near that low.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah tinctures and food are like the only two things with a long sale life.

Can make decent money selling the completed orchestrion rolls from ex trials too.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Weavers and to a lesser extent Leatherworkers also get the well of map material glams. Still have to gather your own supplies to make a profit though.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I like making my own furniture but gently caress if I'm making my own leather and lumber. Sell leather and lumber.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If you have a full stack of leve allowances, and like hurting yourself, you can make 100 (technically 300) HQ syrups and turn them in one at a time for 10k a pop. Works out to just over a million

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bloody Pom posted:

If you have a full stack of leve allowances, and like hurting yourself, you can make 100 (technically 300) HQ syrups and turn them in one at a time for 10k a pop. Works out to just over a million

e: looks like birch syrup is a large scale leve for the 5k per. So you only need 90 HQ to turn in. You can buy 90 hq off the MB pretty cheap. I screwed up and accidentally used a normal leve first instead of the large scale one. I made about 110k in overall profit for five minutes of my time.

I recommend everyone look up leves on a wiki and check out the prices on https://universalis.app to make yourself some quick and easy money (and experience).

e2: I guess it's a rare occurrence but as a reward for two of the normal leves I got an HQ level 59 piece of crafting gear which both should net me another 90k in profit after they sell. Pretty good haul.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 16, 2023

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Mainwaring posted:

Also I think you're quite underselling tinctures, savage raid participation is nowhere near that low.
Agreeing with selling tinctures / tincture ingredients. On top of Savage, people in Ultimates chew through them like crazy. I believe my friends doing TOP prog were using up to 4 pots per pull? Something like that.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Hell, people use consumables in EX stuff too though that has less staying power because people usually aren't "progging" EX fights

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i pop pots on every dungeon boss > lv50 just to establish the habit. make em and i'll buy em

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

i pop pots on every dungeon boss > lv50 just to establish the habit. make em and i'll buy em

Time for me to level ALC

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
When I was a little babby sprout and every gil was important, I used to go out to Buscarron's Druthers in the South Shroud and mine Effervescent Water from the lv. 24 mining spots to the west of town. It's a basic building block that pops up deep into the 70s (and a couple of secret 90 spikes) so people are usually willing to drop a few thousand on it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Mainwaring posted:

Alchemists make Alkahest which is a very commonly used crafted material. Also I think you're quite underselling tinctures, savage raid participation is nowhere near that low.
I forgot about Alkahests, fair. Good to know about Tinctures, maybe I'll give it a go.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Fairly significant sale on the game currently for any free trials who were thinking of making the jump https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1714657689467605055?t=830-mHLVtoVmIlcElWGqgQ&s=19

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Is there a way to turn off the music sting that happens when entering FATEs? It's pretty miserable trying to fly through ARR maps where there's an extreme lower limit to how high you can go so I'll hear the music sting like 4 times for FATEs that I will -never- complete when all I want is to enjoy the Black Shroud music as I pass through

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

God Hole posted:

Is there a way to turn off the music sting that happens when entering FATEs? It's pretty miserable trying to fly through ARR maps where there's an extreme lower limit to how high you can go so I'll hear the music sting like 4 times for FATEs that I will -never- complete when all I want is to enjoy the Black Shroud music as I pass through

only via modding and third party plugins, you'd need to use two of them.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Frida Call Me posted:

"Hide Unwanted Banners" in Simple Tweaks gets rid of the FATE Joined! banner and music if you're going the plugin route.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Ojjeorago posted:

"Hide Unwanted Banners" in Simple Tweaks gets rid of the FATE Joined! banner and music if you're going the plugin route.

SimpleTweaks is an absolute must have.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Ojjeorago posted:

oh neat

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Frida Call Me posted:

oh nice, thank you! with this it looks like I could even change the Ultima ThuleBGM to the version without lyrics

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

God Hole posted:

oh nice, thank you! with this it looks like I could even change the Ultima ThuleBGM to the version without lyrics

holy poo poo

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
The only downside to Orchestrion is that after a while, as you learn the song titles, it spoils early what you got in a roulette.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

God Hole posted:

this is a crime

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
First thing I do when I teleport into UT: /bgm 0.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Absolutely insane tbh...

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I thought it was great and I cried when it played during that MSQ sequence but now that i've heard the lyrics about 400 times I just can't take it anymore

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

First thing I do when I teleport into UT: /bgm 0.

/bgm without a subcommand toggles it on and off

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

I listen to it in the car. It's a good song

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

this is a crime

I changed it to the music for the associated tribal quest area. Felt more fitting post-MSQ.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's a very intense song and maybe sometimes I'm just running FATEs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I like the song a lot and will never change it even after spending an inordinate amount of time in there fishing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's a very intense song and maybe sometimes I'm just running FATEs.

la hee

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

my favorite bgm in the game if i'm honest

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Whenever I've got a big shopping list of stuff to gather I always try to time any necessary trips to Rak'tika for the daytime so I get to listen to La Hee.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
There was a video a while back that I can't find right now where someone found the vocal sample set that Soken used to write la hee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I always liked Civilizations because it reminded me so much of the October Project, a pop band from the nineties I used to listen to.