Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Kalli posted:

I don't think he'll be on the team. His $37m 2025 salary becomes guaranteed if he is.

If Russ stinks enough to be benched, he's getting cut and the Broncos are just going to take a brutal dead cap hit next year.
I don't know. They're already over the cap as-is for 2024. To make that move work I think they would really have to tear that roster down to the bare walls.

Realistically, that's exactly what they should do but it's not likely. They would just be telling fans to not show up for an entire year and I don't know if that ownership group would be willing to swallow their pride for that to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Their cap is pretty fixable especially when the inevitable increase hits. That defensive line spending though goddamn and McGlinchey of all people. Could've sworn that guy was a turnstile in SF.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

He was and still is a turnstile. :laugh:

Have to really give credit to Pete Carrol. Did a hell of a job squeezing every last bit of usefulness out of Russel and still managed to dump him off for an absurd return.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

LiquidFriend posted:

He was and still is a turnstile. :laugh:

Have to really give credit to Pete Carrol. Did a hell of a job squeezing every last bit of usefulness out of Russel and still managed to dump him off for an absurd return.

jfc they're paying him 20apy. Launch Patton into the sun with Russ

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

jfc they're paying him 20apy. Launch Patton into the sun with Russ

Yeah if Paton is there next year he must have photos of Elway and the Walmart boys on Epstein Island or something. Dude got multiple cracks at potential hall of fame QBs and a potential HoF coach. And the outcome was… this

Also just for maximum chaos his name is pronounced the same as Payton and Peyton. Not the WW2 general.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Oct 14, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

petan

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Please spoiler future season content

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
McGlinchey was more like a league-average RT than a 'turnstile' on the Niners, but he was definitely stronger in run blocking than pass protection and he's not a good fit for the Broncos because Russ holds onto the ball forever. I don't think he's a terrible player like a lot of Niners fans do, but the team had to get cheaper somewhere on the roster to make up for all the guys they have to pay and he was definitely the odd man out, especially after the offer he got from Denver.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Pretty sure the Bucs pulled that off first and the Rams are the copycats.

Matthew Stafford is a wannabe Tom Brady, got it.

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Apparently according to OTC, if the Broncos designate Russ as a post-June 1 cut in 2024, he "just" has a $35,400,000 dead cap hit in 2024 and then would have a pretty hefty hit the next year too of course but it would make it less suicidal to do it. Once they cut Tim Patrick and either extend or re-negotiate like two other guys they'll be under the cap and we can enjoy watching Jarrett Stidham earn his 7m contract.

At that point they'll probably be able to have Bryce for a fifth. He will turn into a hall of famer overnight and win 3 rings as a bronco. I will be happy after getting a lobotomy in the part of my brain that knows anything about organized sports.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

SKULL.GIF posted:

It owns how the Rams traded for Stafford, immediately won a championship, and then all these other teams tried trading for their own franchise QB and ate poo poo.

Copycatting doesn't work!!

Yeah it's because Stafford rules while Wilson drools.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s a Sean Payton team now, they’ll just renegotiate his contract to lower the 2025 cap hit in exchange for paying him 10 million a year until 2035.

It would be really hilarious to me if they set it up so that Russ got paid that $10 million on July 1st.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Apples McGrind
Oct 13, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
edit: wrong thread.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Oct 14, 2023

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

It also helped that Stafford came in with Cooper Kupp, pre-ACL Odell Beckham, Robert Woods and the defense was also very good.

The Broncos got.... Well reception perception always liked Cortland Sutton

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Courtland Sutton was great, he just hasn't looked the same since his ACL.

Jerry Jeudy always kind of sucked though.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I've seen enough, Arthur Smith sucks

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Desmond Ridder sucks, but Arthur Smith is perhaps the most incompetent coach in the league.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Desmond Ridder sucks, but Arthur Smith is perhaps the most incompetent coach in the league.

And yet he still beat the Panthers.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Benne posted:

I've seen enough, Arthur Smith sucks

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ChocolatePancake
Feb 25, 2007
He has resting idiot face. Also he's an idiot.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

ChocolatePancake posted:

He has resting idiot face. Also he's an idiot.

Sir, your monitor appears to be off

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The guy who runs Establish the Run podcast repeatedly mentioned before the season he bet heavily on Smith to win CotY lol.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

this feels like fodder for a photoshop thread

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BAH GAWD

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
can a gif of the last couple seconds of this clip somehow be the op of this thread?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATh_e4yn_rc&t=21s

Mr. Carrier Pigeon
Aug 22, 2013

Those birds certainly know what they're doin'!
How has nobody pointed out that Arthur is clearly Nicholas Cage in a Borat-style "real life" mockumentary about being a football coach?

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

In my mind, Arthur Smith is what it would look like if Ignacious J Reilley was a HC

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
was Bijan hurt? that's the only reason I can accept for Smith calling Allgeier's number on that 2 point try

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ghosthorse posted:

can a gif of the last couple seconds of this clip somehow be the op of this thread?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATh_e4yn_rc&t=21s

Mike McLintock rear end coach

e :

indigi fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 16, 2023

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

indigi posted:

was Bijan hurt? that's the only reason I can accept for Smith calling Allgeier's number on that 2 point try

No he was not. Also, pretty sure a couple of those ints come down to the late rear end play calls that Smith was loving up on.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Is that the child's view?

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
It's your mom's view

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
https://twitter.com/highlightheaven/status/1713641388171247894

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Nervous posted:

It's your mom's view

lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think you can say Saleh and Douglas are 100% safe for the year now no matter what my personal opinion of them is.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

mcmagic posted:

I think you can say Saleh and Douglas are 100% safe for the year now no matter what my personal opinion of them is.

The narrative about Saleh and Douglas's job security vacillates on a fortnight basis. If the Jets lost their next two, we'll be back to super hot seat for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Douglas should be fired already, but I think Saleh has enough potential to keep around next year (barring a 2-9 level meltdown)